Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12
Re: some Telecaster questions ...
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 18, 2012 11:51

Naturalust
open-g
Does this one have a name?
5 strings, but all single coils. no capo.

Wow GREAT shot of this 50's tele. looks original to me. Maybe been refretted. This is a sweet sweet looking guitar. East to identify by the wear where Keith's right arm hits the guitar. Been played a bit...

As far as the thumb dust, it looks like just a trick of the light to me. Pardon withssoul the only thing I've seen Keith and Ronnie dusting between numbers is their noses and there was little,if any, talc involved. lol I sure haven't seen any guitarists dust their hands in talc unless they were playing POOL backstage which is quite reasonably the case with our man Keith. peace

No, it is talc powder. They starting using that on the '89 tour, and used it ever since. It's actually quite commonly used. In 89/90 and on the Winos tours Richards made it some kind of stage prop to whipe the talc of the neck in to the air. It can be seen in the Urban Jungle video and the LA Winos video for example.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 18, 2012 14:12

Palace Revolution 2000
What hurts these great threads is when Philip's (HM's) photo accounts got wiped out. It is hard to follow the thread discussion.

sad smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 18, 2012 15:25

Mathijs

No, it is talc powder. They starting using that on the '89 tour, and used it ever since. It's actually quite commonly used. In 89/90 and on the Winos tours Richards made it some kind of stage prop to whipe the talc of the neck in to the air. It can be seen in the Urban Jungle video and the LA Winos video for example.

Mathijs

Mathijs, thanks i'll trust you on that one, although it's not that common here in the States. I can see the possible benefit. Maybe it's just because our weather is so perfect out here in California that we forgot how to sweat. Have you ever seen any other act using talc between numbers to get the hand/guitar friction lessened up?

I remember some stuff they used to make called finger ease which was basically oil you sprayed on the neck to slide your way around the fretboard. I though it was pretty useless but my electric guitar fretboards are mostly ebony or other dark hard wood. Those finished maple fretboards do look a bit slippery-when-wet. peace.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 18, 2012 16:00

Naturalust
Have you ever seen any other act using talc between numbers to get the hand/guitar friction lessened up?

Jeff Beck does and has done so since 60's.

Hendrix used Finger Ease spray, you can see him apply some before he starts his set at Isle Of Wight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-18 16:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 18, 2012 16:14

Naturalust
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs, thanks i'll trust you on that one

i gather a share of the thanks are for me too. always glad to be educational, even for people who don't believe me :E

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 18, 2012 18:37

Sorry bout that withssoul, it's not that I didn't trust you, I've been a gigging and touring guitarist for alot of years and I just haven't seen it done before. I was second row on Keith's side for a couple of the 89 shows too but they were in California, maybe Keith doesn't sweat here either and didn't use the talc trick those nights. But I stand corrected, sorry for doubting you. That Keith knows his white powders better than I do in any case....

I can see Ronnie on one of his drunken nights, grabbing the straw for a quick toot between songs and approaching the wrong pile of white powder..."NOOO Ron! not that pile! " lol

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-18 21:54 by Naturalust.

Date: May 16, 2013 22:32

with sssoul
my dear kind patient learned Keith Guitar Experts,
oh no it's me again, hoping you'll help me sort out some of Keith's less-commonly-seen teles.
as usual, i'll be fascinated to hear anything anyone knows about these models, what's sweet about them and what's ornery,
along with any details about when Keith acquired them, what he used them for and what became of them.

next is one that i think i've only seen in photos from the 78 tour:

- 1978, by Lynn Goldsmith

then there's this one from the 82 tour - is that thing as heavy as it looks??

- 1982, by Denis O'Regan

I have since learned both guitars share the same neck. The 1978 guitar has a '68 or '69 Fender Rosewood neck, a Ted Newman Jones body, and Fender electrics.

The 1982 picture is the same late 60's neck, but now with a body made by Schecter, and with full Schecter electronics and hardware.

I do not know why the body was replaced, but on the first couple of 1981 shows the body was still the TNJ body, then some weeks later the guitar had the new Schecter body.

This was probably done by the guitar tech that worked on the 81 tour (I forgot his name, he's mentioned in the 1981 tour book), whom also worked for Pete Townsend and had an affiliation with Schecter.

Mathijs

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 16, 2013 23:07

Mathijs
with sssoul
my dear kind patient learned Keith Guitar Experts,
oh no it's me again, hoping you'll help me sort out some of Keith's less-commonly-seen teles.
as usual, i'll be fascinated to hear anything anyone knows about these models, what's sweet about them and what's ornery,
along with any details about when Keith acquired them, what he used them for and what became of them.

next is one that i think i've only seen in photos from the 78 tour:

- 1978, by Lynn Goldsmith

then there's this one from the 82 tour - is that thing as heavy as it looks??

- 1982, by Denis O'Regan

I have since learned both guitars share the same neck. The 1978 guitar has a '68 or '69 Fender Rosewood neck, a Ted Newman Jones body, and Fender electrics.

The 1982 picture is the same late 60's neck, but now with a body made by Schecter, and with full Schecter electronics and hardware.

I do not know why the body was replaced, but on the first couple of 1981 shows the body was still the TNJ body, then some weeks later the guitar had the new Schecter body.

This was probably done by the guitar tech that worked on the 81 tour (I forgot his name, he's mentioned in the 1981 tour book), whom also worked for Pete Townsend and had an affiliation with Schecter.

Mathijs

I remember when Pete was playing those Schecter Teles in the 80s. Now he is using red Strats.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 16, 2013 23:51

Mathijs

Alan Rogan is his name.

Date: May 17, 2013 00:13

open-g

Mathijs

Alan Rogan is his name.

No, Alan Rogan I would not forget. It was somebody else, he was a luthier of his own, end up working for/with Schecter, and was hired to get all guitars ready for the 1981 tour. I will look up the name.

Mathijs

Date: June 4, 2013 06:36

Roger Giffin? I know he did some work with Pete Townshend/Alan Rogan in the early 80's, too.

Date: June 4, 2013 09:47

MidnightRambler1990
Roger Giffin? I know he did some work with Pete Townshend/Alan Rogan in the early 80's, too.

That's him, thanks.

[www.thewho.net]

Mathijs

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 13, 2013 11:26

Bump.smiling smiley

at Dynamic Sound Studios in Jamaica in 1972

Photo by Koh Hasebe

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 13, 2013 20:40

Teles are overrated. Big time.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 13, 2013 20:59

RockinJive

Typed like someone that either doesn't own one or can't play one...which are you?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 13, 2013 21:11

What a great thread. I enjoyed reading it from the beginning. Too bad some of the photos are lost to time.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 13, 2013 21:18

Teles can be great, no matter whether referring to a guitar or to a person.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 13, 2013 21:23

Naturalust
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs, thanks i'll trust you on that one, although it's not that common here in the States. I can see the possible benefit. Maybe it's just because our weather is so perfect out here in California that we forgot how to sweat. Have you ever seen any other act using talc between numbers to get the hand/guitar friction lessened up?

I remember some stuff they used to make called finger ease which was basically oil you sprayed on the neck to slide your way around the fretboard. I though it was pretty useless but my electric guitar fretboards are mostly ebony or other dark hard wood. Those finished maple fretboards do look a bit slippery-when-wet. peace.

video: [www.youtube.com]

you can see it in this video,how keith got the talc powder

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 21:24 by TeleK.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: July 14, 2013 00:08

Tele is the ultimate guitar.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 14, 2013 00:49

RobberBride
Tele is the ultimate guitar.

I prefer a Tele to a Strat.

But there are a couple (or 3) Gibsons that I wouldn't like to dismiss.

Date: July 14, 2013 00:54

GravityBoy

But there are a couple (or 3) Gibsons that I wouldn't like to dismiss.
Oh yes. Mainly due to KGAS ( Keiths Guitars Aquisition Syndrome) I find myself wanting a Gibson LP Jr these days. TV colored of course.

Date: July 14, 2013 00:59

Yes.

LP Jr
LP

and

339 (I really really want a 339)

Date: July 14, 2013 01:06

339? Interesting. Very interesting.

Date: July 14, 2013 01:07

RobberBride

I have an Epi 339 and it's superb.

But I want a Gibson.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 14, 2013 01:36

GravityBoy
RobberBride

But I want a Gibson.

Very Noel Gallagher of you...or was that a 355...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 14, 2013 04:59

Munichhilton
RockinJive

Typed like someone that either doesn't own one or can't play one...which are you?

A skilled craftsman never blames his tools.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 14, 2013 06:25

Munichhilton
RockinJive

I don't own one. Played many. Gimmie a Strat or LP anyday.

Date: July 14, 2013 09:20

Munichhilton
GravityBoy
RobberBride

But I want a Gibson.

Very Noel Gallagher of you...or was that a 355...

339 is a 335 with a smaller body.

They are the coolest guitar on the planet (for me)... I saw one in the window of a guitar shop in Charing Cross Road and it was love at first sight.

But they are a touch expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 09:22 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 14, 2013 18:28

with sssoul
>> Does anyone know if Ronnie ever uses 5-string guitars? <<

there is a 5-string diskfront Zemaitis - there are shots of it in the Zemaitis thread: [www.iorr.org]
but i reckon that one in the background you're talking about is probably Keith's, no?
since it's next to his other ones ... [peering hard:] there's another Zemaitis behind Keith, isn't there -
a six-string one, ergo one of Ronnie's.

>> Is there a pic of the # 3 [Tele] around too? <<

this article here says "Tele #3" is the 67 sunburst: [www.oldkr.co.uk]
as for the "Micawber-alikes": there are three in a row in the shot of part of Keith's Licks guitar rack on an earlier page in this thread:

- 2002 or 2003, courtesy of Mathijs (don't know who took it, sorry!)

so which one is the "real Micawber" and which are the "stand-ins"?
and: is the one right next to the Strat an example of this "whiter blond" effect that appeared starting in mid-54?

"Blond body finish has a more whitish look than the earlier "butterscotch" finish.
In reality, the body finish was probably applied no differently, but the type of clear lacquer used to clearcoat
does not yellow as much. This gives mid-1954 and later Teles a more whitish blond look, instead of butterscotch.
Because of the more whitish look, a distinct "halo" can be seen around the edge of the body
that is less translucent (this halo was present on the earlier butterscotch finishes,
but it was far less noticable). The halo was used to hide the side grain of multi-piece bodies,
because Fender could easily match the face grain, but it was difficult to match the side grain."

that quote's from that good old vintage guitar site: [www.provide.net]

This seems to be the Micawber stand-in (first Tele from right) getting a run on Doom and Gloom in Glastonbury ...and most likely elsewhere.
It has a similar finish like Micawber on presumably ash body, a modern chrome bridge, a Humbucker neck pickup without the cover. 5-string open G, no capo.
the colour in the screenshot doesn't do it justice.
I wonder if has a name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 18:30 by open-g.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 14, 2013 18:54

two good pages
[members.tripod.com]
[www.thekeithshrine.com]

@ssoul
i think,im pretty sure thats the micawber

[awesomescreenshot.com]

it has the "correct" wearings/damages,...and the fitting bridge,..as you can see at least a a little bit

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 19:00 by TeleK.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1544
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home