Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The last time you saw The Rolling Stones onstage...
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 7, 2020 20:07

OhYesMeAgain
When I said Monkey Man was played at Chicago 2 for the first time in 12 years, I got my information from setlist.fm. That website said Chicago 2 was the first time Monkey Man was played since August 8, 2007. I really don't know if setlist.fm is correct or not.

Not sure either, but whatever the case Chicago 2 was thrilling! thumbs up First of the four I saw last year, and to see Mick charge out on stage after his health scare and recovery...astonishing and I'll never forget the moment.
And to keep on topic of the thread, Chi 2 was the last time my wife ever saw the Stones. She was also going to come to Pasadena with me, but due to the rescheduling she had to bow out due to other commitments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-07 20:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 8, 2020 00:39

24FPS
2013. Los Angeles. The last time I will see them unless something changes drastically. Improved setlists. New musicians. Something.

Barclay's 2012 for me and I was bored to tears. Almost left early. No Taylor, no energy. I knew I was done and never looked back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-08 00:40 by bleedingman.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 8, 2020 00:57

Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh, June 9, 2018. That was my 30th Rolling Stones show since 1989.

RisingStone
A tight, solid performance, not a bad show really — there isn’t a bad Rolling Stones show, for that matter — but I felt something was thin, if not entirely missing. Call it the fifth element or whatever you name it.

I don’t think they were phoning it in or going through the motions. But in Manchester, I got the impression the band gave everything, and then some. What I felt lacked from their Edinburgh show is that some portion, a special something.

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s because of the crap nosebleed seat I hit on with my LD.

I had been dying to hear She’s A Rainbow for years and years — the moment those three words were projected on the gigantic, monolithic screens as the vote winner, I was so glad. Yet when they finished it, I found I was slightly disappointed. It just doesn’t work live that brilliantly. Clearly one of those numbers whose value rely on their rare outings in live performance rather than the actual on stage dynamics. Don’t get me wrong, I was delighted to hear it for sure. But once is enough.

The whole experience has left me in a somewhat anticlimactic state of mind. Just another night for me.

I don’t want Murrayfield to be my last ever Rolling Stones show. It would give my journey an unwanted anticlimactic end. 30 shows and still counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-08 01:43 by RisingStone.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 8, 2020 17:34

Mine was Denver, 2019.

Chicago 1 and 2 before that. Great time at all.
Supposed to be a Miami but didn't make it in.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: August 8, 2020 18:03

That would be 1997 in Toronto.

I took my 12 year old daughter to her very first rock concert.

SFTD

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: August 8, 2020 18:45

Berlin 2018

Date: August 8, 2020 18:52

19 June 2018. My first Stones show. Hope to God it will not be the last. I reviewed it for The arts Desk - the only review of what MAY be their last show in the UK, I believe. Sat with my bro in law in the otherwise empty press seats, while my daughter was engaged that morning to work hospitality at one of the VIP 'boxes' and saw the whole show, and loved it too (she'd not been long back from Sabbath's farewell show at Birmingham and couldnt believe the energy of the band, esp compared to Ozzy...).
Bart a couple of FALL gigs in small rooms, this was also the loudest concert I have ever attended, esp Keith's guitar. It emphasised mistakes, for sure, but also the roll in the timing, the genius and the energy. At the end of Satisfaction the audience turned the beat on the band and the band turned it again and we all levitated. I knew and could feel a direct line back to the gigs they did on Eel Pie Island the year I was born - I am so glad my then-19 yr old daughter got a chance (and got paid!) to see a band and a group of artists the likes of whom we are not going to see again when they are finally gone. This is what I wrote the morning after -

[theartsdesk.com]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 8, 2020 20:41

The one-but-last-time was in 2018, London Twickenham. Great show with nostalgic words from Mick and Keith.
The last time still lays ahead ... winking smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 8, 2020 20:44

The last one - Miami

Posted by: jack ()
Date: August 8, 2020 21:50

Stuttgart 2018

With the ‘Backcorners’ (Achterhoek in Dutch): Frans Welling, Joop Faber, Hans Blekkink and Kees Krechting.
Short after this gig Kees became ill and passed away last week.
Kees was a fantastic guy!
Sweet and also sad memories.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: August 9, 2020 17:39

miami last year, made it just in time smiling smiley))

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: August 9, 2020 18:01

Prague 2018

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 9, 2020 18:20

East Rutherford #2 of last summer. I got Monkey Man, so happy happy happy.

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: August 9, 2020 19:57

Hairball
OhYesMeAgain
When I said Monkey Man was played at Chicago 2 for the first time in 12 years, I got my information from setlist.fm. That website said Chicago 2 was the first time Monkey Man was played since August 8, 2007. I really don't know if setlist.fm is correct or not.

Not sure either, but whatever the case Chicago 2 was thrilling! thumbs up First of the four I saw last year, and to see Mick charge out on stage after his health scare and recovery...astonishing and I'll never forget the moment.
And to keep on topic of the thread, Chi 2 was the last time my wife ever saw the Stones. She was also going to come to Pasadena with me, but due to the rescheduling she had to bow out due to other commitments.

I really enjoyed Chicago 2, also. I can still see in my head Mick running from each side of the stage and up and down the catwalk just to let everyone know, under no uncertain terms, that he was back!!!

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: August 10, 2020 01:49

CNE stadium, Toronto August 20 1994.

Date: August 10, 2020 06:15

satisfaction2
Prague 2018

Me too, and it was great experience!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 10, 2020 12:51

Copenhagen in 2017. I want at least one more, so I go to double digits.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 10, 2020 14:34

Stockholm october 2017 was the last concert.First half of the concert was bad,Keith almost ruin the concert with terrible playing.It just Get much better the second half of the concert.So i hope for one more at least

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 10, 2020 20:22

Stuttgart 2018 - No Filter Pit Ronnie side. Great gig, very nice summer evening. Went with my mom, 73 then. She danced for the whole concert. Great memories.

Had booked Tampa Florida 2020 to her 75th birthday. Sadly didn't happen due to f*cking corona.

Posted by: blutsvente66 ()
Date: August 10, 2020 22:12

Miami 2019

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: August 11, 2020 00:05

Chicago, 2nd show, 2019

Had tix for Cleveland / Pittsburgh this year.

Have my doubts if I’ll ever get to see them again.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: August 11, 2020 00:50

MIAMI

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 14, 2020 02:31

KevinM
By '89 it was obvious that Mick's voice wasn't what it was compared to even the early 80's (their last tour at the time). Even noticed a difference b/w '89 vs. '94 voice.

I saw all those tours (in the US and Europe) and, in my opinion, it was obvious to me that Mick's voice was much better in the 1989 / 1990 tours than in the 1981 / 1982 tours. In the earlier tours he was often singing in a low register (his cocaine voice) and was just spitting out his lyrics on a lot of songs... on the latter tours he was really singing and honing his craft and hitting high notes again... he was in superb physical condition and it showed.

And in the 1994 / 1995 tours his voice was, if anything, even better than in the previous tours...

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 14, 2020 05:30

Turd On The Run
KevinM
By '89 it was obvious that Mick's voice wasn't what it was compared to even the early 80's (their last tour at the time). Even noticed a difference b/w '89 vs. '94 voice.

I saw all those tours (in the US and Europe) and, in my opinion, it was obvious to me that Mick's voice was much better in the 1989 / 1990 tours than in the 1981 / 1982 tours. In the earlier tours he was often singing in a low register (his cocaine voice) and was just spitting out his lyrics on a lot of songs... on the latter tours he was really singing and honing his craft and hitting high notes again... he was in superb physical condition and it showed.

And in the 1994 / 1995 tours his voice was, if anything, even better than in the previous tours...

I agree, '81 was different than more current tours in that he seemed to more try and sing songs more like tbe studio versions, though some of that probably had to do with all the additional musicians helping and letting him more focus and maybe covering a bit. But loved '81, my first tour

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: August 14, 2020 22:25

Stade de France - Wed July 9 2003.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 15, 2020 20:23

Buffalo, NY Zip Code tour. I, too, believe it to be the last time. Finally got Wild Horses, which brought me to tears!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 15, 2020 20:35

Turd On The Run
KevinM

Jagger's voice went in 1997/98. That's when the number of cancelled gigs started to increase. After that he started to use his voice in a more economical way.
He had to. In 1981 he could afford to abuse his voice. Like a punk.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 15, 2020 20:37

VoodooLounge13
Buffalo, NY Zip Code tour. I, too, believe it to be the last time. Finally got Wild Horses, which brought me to tears!!

One of my favorite shows from that tour..
Really strong 5-8 setlist.. Out of Control, Wild Horses, CYHMK, and Let's Spend the Night Together spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Fantastic show and great Stones town!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 16, 2020 05:50

MisterDDDD
VoodooLounge13

One of my favorite shows from that tour..
Really strong 5-8 setlist.. Out of Control, Wild Horses, CYHMK, and Let's Spend the Night Together spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Fantastic show and great Stones town!

Hit this one too. CYHMK was great to hear.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 16, 2020 06:09

July 2019 Foxboro MA.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1511
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home