Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The rise and fall of Creem magazine
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 4, 2020 17:28

For some us, this was probably a must read back in the day, quite the opposite of Rolling Stone magazine which was becoming "so respectable". I still have Creem's special edition dedicated to the Stones - it's pictured in the article - packed away with other items from that time.

[www.nytimes.com]

Re: OT: The rise and fall of Creem magazine
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 4, 2020 17:50

This is a great topic! I think it only cost 75 cents when it first launched. It was mean for that era.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 4, 2020 18:14

Loved Creem and Hit Parader back in the day.

Date: August 4, 2020 18:15

Loved Rolling Stone too. Then, not now.

Date: August 4, 2020 19:44

Elmo Lewis
Loved Creem and Hit Parader back in the day.

Ditto!

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: August 4, 2020 20:08

Circus magazine rocked too, essential reading for the Hair Metal brethren, and the all-important tour dates in the pre-web days...

I won a contest in '85 through the short-lived Faces Rocks mag, another Metal rag of the time.

Got flown to meet OzzY and his band in April '86 up at Richfield Coliseum on the Ultimate Sin tour... first time on a plane on a snowy day from Dayton to Cleveland flyin' on an 18-seat twin prop... I deemed it the White Knuckle Express... scared the hell out of me!

Got after-show passes and hung out in the green room with OzzY, Jake and Sharon and met the other guys, Phil Soussan and the late Randy Castillo. Everyone was very cool, free swag and autographs and all! Never got my photo in the mag 'cause they couldn't find Mark Weiss to shoot some photos, but it was a great experience, and my only backstage opportunity so far!! Meeting and hanging with Metallica at the hotel afterwards was icing on the cake. Their onslaught was just starting with Master of Puppets having just been unleashed...

The 80s were lotsa fun, if I remember correctly!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2020 23:21

Yeah cool mag .... funny as too

ROCKMAN

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: August 5, 2020 00:31

Loved Creem, especially Lester Bangs and the letters section. Charles Bukowski's "review" of a Stones show was priceless. Boy Howdy indeed

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 5, 2020 03:54

Creem was it for me, I was a subscriber. Lester Bangs, Nick Tosches, R. Meltzer, Metal Mike Saunders, Charles M. Young, Patti Smith (cue "Theme from Gilligan's Island")...and the rest...produced inspired top notch gonzo writing. And brought attention to a lot of great music (Ramones, VU, Sex Pistols, Joe Ely, and so on) that you might have missed. As well as covering Stones, Who, Kinks, along with other popular groups of the time. With a heavy dose of humor and irreverence. As Rock and Roll as the music they covered.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 5, 2020 04:04

Creem was my music bible in the day. I do miss it!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 5, 2020 05:12

And my beer -- Boy Howdy!

Date: August 5, 2020 05:22

Mad Magazine, Creem, and Sports Illustrated was always welcomed and very anticipated mail. Something as simple as going to the mail box everyday was a joy back in the day.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: August 5, 2020 05:28

I loved that magazine

Date: August 5, 2020 05:39

I'm not sure, via mail, if Creem arrived in a wrapper or not.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 5, 2020 06:32

Looks like a fun magazine. Where and when was this for sale? Don’t think I have ever heard of it.

Date: August 5, 2020 06:36

Creem Magazine, December 1973

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 5, 2020 07:05

When I think of Creem magazine, I think of Lester Bangs. He wrote some funny shit. I didn't really care for most of the music the zine covered, but if Bangs was writing it, it was generally worth reading, for everything except maybe how the music was.

jb

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 5, 2020 07:06

Back in my highschool days in the early 80s, I used to buy every Creem, Circus and Hit Parader magazine, as well as a number of Rolling Stone magazines. Whenever I would make a trip into Vancouver, I would hit the Import record shops and pick up the newest issue of Kerrang magazine from Britain.
Apart from the Stones, my faves were Van Halen and AC/DC and they were featured heavily in those magazines, especially Creem. Still my 3 favourite bands today!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 5, 2020 07:36

A young Cameron Crowe was another major contributor. They had an impressive corps of journalists. One of my older brothers had a subscription in the late 70s, so it helped shape my Rock & Roll interests. I remember that my brother got a letter published at some point. I’ll have to ask him which issue and what the subject was.

Just last week, somebody traded in a coffee table book Harper-Collins published in 2007 called “Creem-America’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll Magazine”, annotated by Robert Matheu and Brian J. Bowe. Great collection of writing and pictures.

[www.amazon.com]’s+only+rock+‘n’+roll+magazine&qid=1596602125&s=books&sr=1-2

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: August 5, 2020 17:41

There will be a virtual premiere this Friday online. (at least here in the USA)
They are raffleing tickets for it here -

[donyc.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 5, 2020 18:04

Chris Fountain
Creem Magazine, December 1973

I believe it was this issue that had the "Mike and Barney" comic strip that was a review of Goat's Head Soup. It just nailed it, and was a perfect summation of fan reaction to that record.

If anybody out there has a scan of that they should post it.

Date: August 5, 2020 18:14

Although memory escapes me because it was so long ago - the other fascinating aspect of issue is Duane Allman, Lou Reed and NY Dolls are covered. It was a great year for Rock-n-Roll!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 5, 2020 18:40

Nowadays it is difficult to find anything interesting and good written about Rockandroll music. Hopefully rock music will do a comeback, one day.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2020 21:39

ROCKMAN

Date: August 5, 2020 22:07

Thanks, Rockman. That is great!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 6, 2020 19:22

I have dozens of copies of CREEM & CIRCUS all preserved and tucked away in my Stones room. It was something I looked forward to reading every month. The editors must have loved the Stones because they were on the cover A LOT!

Date: August 6, 2020 20:16

Was there really a beer called Boy Howdy? Don't Re-call - ther1e was a beer called Billy Beer named after brother President brewed in Georgia. I actually tried one -not bad too much rogue such as a Shlitz.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 6, 2020 22:18

Boy Howdy was a fictional beer invented by the magazine. Later on, a brewery issued a real beer with that name.

[www.hometownlife.com]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: August 7, 2020 08:03

It was the ultimate rock magazine for a 16-year-old kid. In 1975 I bought Creem and other rock magazines that had feature articles about the Stones Tour of the Americas. That was the rock and roll Information Highway back then!

And I seem to remember as a kid in the 60s there were "teen star" magazines like "Teen Beat" and stuff like that. Donny Osmond and Bobby Sherman and the like. Correct me if I am wrong but in the very early days of the Rolling Stones I think they were featured in those magazines. The "dreamy" pictures of handsome boys for the tween girls to get all excited over.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 7, 2020 13:10

roryg
Loved Creem, especially Lester Bangs and the letters section. Charles Bukowski's "review" of a Stones show was priceless. Boy Howdy indeed

I had no idea who CB was when I was 14/15. I probably read the review but naturally remember nothing lol

I would love to have a read now!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home