Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones singles box, Japanese version, opinions?
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 2, 2020 01:40

There is a Rolling Stones Singles box, 1971 - 2006 (UICY-5011), the Japanese version, 45 CD singles right now for 250 US$. What is the concensus on this, anything rare or must have? I actually have most of the singles issued during that period, but not on cd of course and not in the snazzy box.

Is there any compelling reason I should drop 250 clams (free shipping) on this? By sheer volume it kind of seems like a bargain.

Tell me, any opinions appreciated!

jb

Re: Rolling Stones singles box, Japanese version, opinions?
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 2, 2020 02:09

jbwelda
There is a Rolling Stones Singles box, 1971 - 2006 (UICY-5011), the Japanese version, 45 CD singles right now for 250 US$. What is the concensus on this, anything rare or must have? I actually have most of the singles issued during that period, but not on cd of course and not in the snazzy box.

Is there any compelling reason I should drop 250 clams (free shipping) on this? By sheer volume it kind of seems like a bargain.

Tell me, any opinions appreciated!

jb
That is regular EU box with extra Japanese booklet and OBI. There was no Japanese pressing.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 2, 2020 12:15

Japanese UICY-5011/55 - "Made in the EU. Additional Japanese booklet and OBI printed in Japan." - [www.Discogs.com] :

"Japanese edition consisting of the European box set packaged together with two additional Japan made items:

- a booklet depicting alternative Japanese single covers, and gathering liner notes and lyrics in japanese; this booklet is placed on top of the box set.
- an OBI listing all titles in Japanese, and wrapped around the box set. [A resealable clear protective sleeve holds both OBI and additional booklet together with the box set]."

Currently 1 in stock on [www.Amazon.co.uk] , 1 offer on [www.jpc.de] , 7 offers on [www.Discogs.com] . Also still available on iTunes - [Music.Apple.com] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 12:55 by Irix.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 2, 2020 14:42

Good point, Irix
There are a couple of things one should also know.
1. The initial pressing run came with mastering defect in I Think I'm Going Mad. There is a digital glitch at the end of the 3rd second of the track.

Thus, if you purchase sealed box you'll get a defective disc with probability 100% .
Without glitch that region looks like this

2. Universal offered replacement discs for those who asked. But the first attempt was screwed. They corrected the glitch but placed cue point between tracks in the wrong place. As a result, the very first bits of I Think I'm Going Mad were 'glued' to the end of She Was Hot

You can find this version quite often on ebay. Matrix number is
Matrix: 06025 275 978-3 01 * 52739105 [Universal logo x 4]
MADE IN GERMANY BY EDC A
3. After another set of complains Universal offered the second replacement with glitch and cue point corrections. This one can be recognized by matrix
Matrix: 06025 275 978-3 01 + 52760164 [Universal logo x 4]
MADE IN GERMANY BY EDC A

Universal Japan was aware about the issue with the glitch. Thus, the boxes were recalled from the market (those that were not sold yet) and the defective disc was replaced. Although, it is not clear what version of replacement disc was used. Japanese boxes with replacement disc carry additional 'yellow dot' sticker.
[www.universal-music.co.jp]

There is Chinese counterfeit box. It is often on ebay. However, at the moment I do not have information how to recognize it. Usually those guys use stock images.

The mastering of the box is very similar to 2009 remaster. Maybe a notch less compressed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 19:37 by ironbelly.

Date: August 2, 2020 19:04

OK thank you for those detailed explanations and once again, releases of a glitchy nature.

Actually I believe I may have asked this before so thank you all for your patience.

Gonna skip it, was just kind of curious if there was anything really special about it, the Japan version or otherwise.

Thanks again folks

jb

Posted by: bertrichards ()
Date: August 3, 2020 21:10

Still waiting for the vinyl edition of this box set...

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: August 3, 2020 21:36

smileys with beer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 18:53 by mariano.

Date: August 4, 2020 01:44

If I saw it on vinyl at that price, I would have bought it without question. Vinyl snob and all.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home