Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: BV - Your Flag is Confusing Us
Date: August 2, 2020 19:39

I am confused as to why the flag is confusing.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 2, 2020 20:07

I am confused as to why the flag is confusing.

it's obvious... I am confused as to why you would be confused

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 2, 2020 20:14

How many knew that the Puerto Rican and Cuban flag are directly opposite to same configuration and colors?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 20:16 by Chris Fountain.

Date: August 2, 2020 20:27

Chris Fountain
How many knew that the Puerto Rican and Cuban flag are directly opposite to same configuration and colors?

I knew that... from the old days at the balloon factory

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 2, 2020 20:42

If you don't see the difference in a large blue X with white stars, and a blue cross, then it is time to see a doctor.

We used to have a dog who had problems with his seeing at old age. Early morning, when there was a man walking towards us in a distance, carrying a suitcase, our dog started barking, because he thought the man was walking another dog (the bag). As the man came closer, and the well working nose of our dog started to kick in, our dog was of course very nice and saluted the man with the bag. It is all about your perception. Some may be just too trigger happy these days, like our old dog.

It is the responsibility of the person who post to edit the subject of the thread, so that it is prefixed "OT: " if it is off topic, i.e. not Stones-related. Also, it is the responsibility of the person who start a thread NOT to abuse my nick/name in a subject. I did never ask to be involved in this thread.

I don't see why I people expect me to spend time moderating this rather harmless thread, there are many other important tasks to handle these days. This does also go for closing this thread - no need as long as people respect the basic rules.

Bjornulf

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 20:45

That guy has a lot of nerve carrying a suitcase...there outta be a law against that. Should have sued him. Or got him fired from his job. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 2, 2020 21:12

To be fair, furled as it is in the photo, if not most the time, the colors make the Norwegian flag look very similar to the racist flag.

Given that there are very very few Norwegian flags flying, and way too many racist flags, I could see initially assuming it was the racist one.
Opened up to examine more closely, most, if not all, would immediately recognize it not to be the racist flag.

Funny how the thread switched from knowing flags, to knowing geography.
(post of the thread goes to whoever knew "all fifty-two state flags at ten" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Other similar flags most people would not be able to determine in a furled state.. (Norway makes another appearance)cool smiley
[www.britannica.com]

Date: August 2, 2020 21:20

Why is it that if the South wanted their own country they are treasonous. On the other hand where the colonies wanted separation from England they are labeled Heroes? so where does freedom lie?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 21:22

Big Al
NICOS
But I do understand the confusion about my country... I live in the Netherlands or Holland and I'm Dutch

That’s a good one. I grew up believing the country to be called Holland. It was a good while until I realised that the name is the collective term for two provinces. Many still call it Holland. I guess it rolls off the tongue a little more easily than The Netherlands.

The United Kingdom seems to confuse people, too. We had a good thread about that some years ago, I recollect.

Believe it or not, Big Al, but still today (!) the fast majority in Japan name the UK as "eigirisu", which is derived from "england". The terms "United Kingdom" and "Great Britain" are totally alien to them. Still even last year (and I came there first in 1973 ..) I had to explain the difference to some. For one thing, it's a very persistent culture, which also has some agvantages cool smiley

Date: August 2, 2020 21:34

This is the Norwegian Sailors Church in San Francisco, where the Norwegian flag is next to the flags of Sweden and Denmark. I don't think anyone want that flag removed.

You will find the Norwegian flag in any city in USA I guess, in fact I am told that there are more "Norwegians" living in USA than in Norway, because many left for farming and a better life a hundred or so years ago, also my grandfather, who went to Canada and also Seattle USA, lumberjack working (he sure lost a finger or two), then he returned home to Norway and married my grandmother, otherwise I wound not have been here...

Just like our old dog had to live with the odd man walking with a bag early morning, in the twilight, looking like another dog, I think people should be tolerant versus flags and symbols, as long as they are harmless and not symbols of hate or racism.

Bjornulf

Date: August 2, 2020 21:36

Chris Fountain
Why is it that if the South wanted their own country they are treasonous. On the other hand where the colonies wanted separation from England they are labeled Heroes? so where does freedom lie?
Because the winner makes the rules...and writes the history.. PS: Many colonists remained faithful to the mother country and did indeed consider the rebels traitors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 21:37 by iraq0708.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 22:28

Sadly, there is no shortage of ignorant and uneducated people in the world, who choose to trust and believe other ignorant people and leaders who lead with fear and disinformation. Sadly, no country is immune. Ignorance is as great a threat as any viral or bacterial illness.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: August 2, 2020 22:32

video: [en.wikipedia.org] In Minnesota (usa) as of 2009 there were 868,000 people of Norwegian descent living there. Might be some flags!!

Date: August 2, 2020 22:48

Bjornulf

Date: August 2, 2020 23:04

King Haakon would love that!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2020 23:17

Do you mean King Harald V? King Harald I (Harald Fairhair) was Norways's first king (872-930). His sons succeeded him - Eric Bloodaxe and Haakon the Good.

Date: August 2, 2020 23:35

Stoneage
Do you mean King Harald V? King Harald I (Harald Fairhair) was Norways's first king (872-930). His sons succeeded him - Eric Bloodaxe and Haakon the Good.
Nope--Haakon VII...he would have loved the Stones!!

Date: August 2, 2020 23:36

and perhaps his son Olav V.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 3, 2020 00:42

Thats a nice shirt bv, sold at the shows there?

Doesnt even remind me of the stars and bars...no stars to start with.

Those darned details again.

jb

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 3, 2020 01:03

Well back in the day we learned in school that Washington DC, Alaska and Hawaii are states but that would have made it 51 I believe, as I know we didn't treat Puerto Rico as one. Thinking back on it I am dumbfounded as why we should've learned that DC is a state as it's not. 50 it is.

I just learned the capitals of each state (not the flags, though a lot of them are really beautiful), obviously not how many they aregrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-03 01:03 by MadMax.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 3, 2020 02:28

DC is on the verge of becoming a state. I stopped following it but it is almost a done deal evidently.

And yeah Puerto Rico has always been right next to being the "51st state"...problem was a pervasive "Yanquee Go Home" feeling amongst the masses and the politicians who cater to them. So it never happened.

Imagine the market for new American flags.

jb

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 3, 2020 17:35

From a distance the two flags could be confused. Responsible adults, however, would make sure before going into full-on rage harpie mode. Not here, not now. We have people in the US now who ignorantly attempt to destroy the lives of others because of some perceived offense and if called out in error claim it doesn't matter because they meant well. They are ruining everything they touch because they are so desperate to be "offended." It's a fashion statement.

Date: August 3, 2020 17:51

MadMax
Well back in the day we learned in school that Washington DC, Alaska and Hawaii are states but that would have made it 51 I believe, as I know we didn't treat Puerto Rico as one. Thinking back on it I am dumbfounded as why we should've learned that DC is a state as it's not. 50 it is.

I just learned the capitals of each state (not the flags, though a lot of them are really beautiful), obviously not how many they aregrinning smiley

smileys with beer
I always remember the year Alaska and Hawaii became states as it was the year I was born. Would love to see PR and DC become states, long overdue.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 3, 2020 17:55

jbwelda
DC is on the verge of becoming a state. I stopped following it but it is almost a done deal evidently.

And yeah Puerto Rico has always been right next to being the "51st state"...problem was a pervasive "Yanquee Go Home" feeling amongst the masses and the politicians who cater to them. So it never happened.

Imagine the market for new American flags.

jb

Both DC and Puerto Rico should be states based on population OR the Dakota's should be merged based on population as should Idaho and Wyoming. To think, if The US went to 52 states there would be some wanting to keep the 50 state flag.

Going back on topic, the Norwegian flag is one of the better looking flags IMHO. Looks great on a Stones shirt. It is definitely on the list of places I want to visit and wish I had the opportunity to go back when I toured Europe following the Grateful Dead back in 1990. No Oslo show so only got to Sweden and Denmark on that trip. We did party with a couple of guys from Finland while in Amsterdam from the little bit I remember from that night.

Date: August 3, 2020 18:02

rbk
From a distance the two flags could be confused. Responsible adults, however, would make sure before going into full-on rage harpie mode. Not here, not now. We have people in the US now who ignorantly attempt to destroy the lives of others because of some perceived offense and if called out in error claim it doesn't matter because they meant well. They are ruining everything they touch because they are so desperate to be "offended." It's a fashion statement.

Agreed! Responsible and intelligent adults seem to be hard to find lately.

Date: August 3, 2020 18:36

OT & BV & NOR & USA & PR & DC ...
PC discussion, alphabet soup !

Fuggedaboudit.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 3, 2020 18:55

MisterDDDD

I always remember the year Alaska and Hawaii became states as it was the year I was born. Would love to see PR and DC become states, long overdue.

In the early 70's I was part of a church youth group working on a project, and I came upon an American flag tucked away in a basement storage closet. This was an old church that only displayed a flag on the 4th of July, and Memorial Day, and this particuar flag wasn't that one they typically used.

This flag didn't look worn, and the pattern of it seemed a little different to my eyes.

I figured it was their old 48-star flag, but when I counted the stars on it: 49.

It must have been acquired just after Alaska became a state--and then quickly became obsolete when Hawaii become the 50th.

I wonder how many of those 49-star flags exist?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 4, 2020 01:41

loog droog
MisterDDDD

In the early 70's I was part of a church youth group working on a project, and I came upon an American flag tucked away in a basement storage closet. This was an old church that only displayed a flag on the 4th of July, and Memorial Day, and this particuar flag wasn't that one they typically used.

This flag didn't look worn, and the pattern of it seemed a little different to my eyes.

I figured it was their old 48-star flag, but when I counted the stars on it: 49.

It must have been acquired just after Alaska became a state--and then quickly became obsolete when Hawaii become the 50th.

That's a cool story! Thanks for sharing!!smileys with beer

Date: August 4, 2020 03:40

Adding PR or DC as states provides little or no value and only contributes to the bureaucracy of the U.S. Gov't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 03:44 by Chris Fountain.

Date: August 4, 2020 04:21

loog droog
MisterDDDD

By all accounts... a LOT!! cool smiley
They made an abundance of them (no idea how many) knowing they would be valid for only a short time..thinking people would snap them up as collectible.
Not many businesses, schools, etc ordered them though as many waited for the 50 star one they knew was coming..
[www.rareflags.com]

Speaking of rare US flags, how cool would this one be to stumble across in an attic?
(very, as only one of the half dozen or so originals exist)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 04:23 by MisterDDDD.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1078
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home