Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: BV - Your Flag is Confusing Us
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2020 01:32

I wouldn't go that far, Koen. Although the new Yugoslavian states can be a bit tricky to keep track of.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 2, 2020 01:32

But I do understand the confusion about my country... I live in the Netherlands or Holland and I'm Dutch

Date: August 2, 2020 01:42

Easy, Nicos. You live in Dutchland then...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 2, 2020 01:55

Stoneage
Easy, Nicos. You live in Dutchland then...

hot smiley you won

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 2, 2020 07:09

Our flag is good-lookin'

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 2, 2020 07:24

A US colleague of mine - a teacher none the less - admitted she had never even heard of the 'EU'...

I am not arguing that one can generalise across a whole population, just that I thought this lack of knowledge was staggering!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 2, 2020 07:51

Well honestly, and I think I am pretty well learned or at least familiar with geography in general, I might pretty well have a hard time finding a specific european country (not to mention other, non-European, areas) on an unmarked map. I would know the general location, and some more than others, but some I would be straight out guessing.

Luxembourg for example. I cannot even spell it, much less find it.

jb

Date: August 2, 2020 08:06

Here is a tip to you, jbwelda: Benelux...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 2, 2020 08:43

jbwelda
>never came across one person who taught their students to hate our country.

It just kind of comes naturally when you learn the true historic facts, something not taught in non-college schools at all in my day.

I don't understand. Are you saying hating our country comes naturally when you learn its history? Which I admit is problematic, to say the least, but what country's isn't? (Well, maybe Iceland.)

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 08:54

Koen must have watched the TV program "vakantieman" (holiday man) a lot.
This man visited Dutch people having holidays abroad. He asked them to point out on a map of Europe where they were. SHOCKING! So much stupidity in only one country.confused smiley
Just dreaming ... all flags replaced by just one: a white one with in the middle that oh so beautiful Rolling Stones logo. Aliens would start to take us serious.grinning smiley

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: August 2, 2020 10:10

You are so correct!

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Re: BV - Your Flag is Confusing Us!!!confused smiley
Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: August 2, 2020 10:18

Most colleges and many high schools are now taught by ultra left progressives who teach that most of what is wrong in the world is America's fault. The cancel culture totally negates free speech. On campus all speech of a view different from the progressive agenda is considered hate speech. Those decades you taught must have ended before the 2000's, or maybe you taught in a flyover State.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: August 2, 2020 11:48

Now that I have read the whole thread I hasten to add something which comes to my mind:

In the eighties, when I, being a German lawyer, had to deal with US colleagues whom I met in NYC, one of them asked me over dinner "Do you know the difference between the US and a yoghurt?" I was "???" and he said "After a certain time a yoghurt develops a culture!"

There is nothing I could add...smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 2, 2020 12:11

NICOS
But I do understand the confusion about my country... I live in the Netherlands or Holland and I'm Dutch

That’s a good one. I grew up believing the country to be called Holland. It was a good while until I realised that the name is the collective term for two provinces. Many still call it Holland. I guess it rolls off the tongue a little more easily than The Netherlands.

The United Kingdom seems to confuse people, too. We had a good thread about that some years ago, I recollect.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: August 2, 2020 12:26

Big Al
I guess it rolls off the tongue a little more easily than The Netherlands.

And it's easier to sing "Hup Holland Hup" in the stadium...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 2, 2020 12:29

georgie48
Koen must have watched the TV program "vakantieman" (holiday man) a lot.
This man visited Dutch people having holidays abroad. He asked them to point out on a map of Europe where they were. SHOCKING! So much stupidity in only one country.confused smiley
Just dreaming ... all flags replaced by just one: a white one with in the middle that oh so beautiful Rolling Stones logo. Aliens would start to take us serious.grinning smiley

Haha, yes I remember that show.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 2, 2020 13:59

Well it is good that your flags are being cherished. Folks here were burning flags, churches, federal court houses, desecrating monuments, etc..

It does seem things are calming down, on the positive side. There is nothing like a little parenting thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 14:27 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 2, 2020 15:11

Estimated time until thread shut down....?

A matter of hours, I'd guess

Date: August 2, 2020 16:28

Stoneage
I wouldn't go that far, Koen. Although the new Yugoslavian states can be a bit tricky to keep track of.

Just shy of 30 years. We should be able to place them by now? smiling smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 2, 2020 16:37

DandelionPowderman
Koen
roryg
Give me a break. Hate their country? Most are just trying to get by and love their country more than most, they just want change, usually for the better (like most of the world's youth). As far as cartography skills, old and young Americans seem to have difficulty with their geography.

Oh for crying out loud. How many Europeans can point to South Dakota without blinking?

We are talking about countries, right? I don't expect foreigners to know about all the regions within Norway smiling smiley

As usual Dandy is SPOT ON! Having said that, when I was in 4th grade (10 years old) I knew all 52 state capitals and their states (it was a fun challenge to learn 'em all), but I got family in Biloxi and Malibu and love maps and geography so it was always a big interest. However I must admit I do find it hard to understand people who don't like to know more about our beautiful world, not only through travelling, but also through geography. As a european I love the dixie states and the rest of the southern ones and the people living there and consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to be visiting some of them.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: August 2, 2020 16:41

Why is this thread here?

BV has made it clear that speaking out against hatred will never be tolerated on this site. It is the one rule that makes me feel a bit sleazy coming here.

OT - Your Flag is Confusing Us
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 2, 2020 16:59

Simple solution...
Subject:
BV - should change to OT -

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 17:00 by schillid.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 17:27

I apologize for starting this thread and respectfully ask that it be "closed"

My apologies to anybody/everybody who took offense, felt misled or whatever other negative externalities it caused.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 17:51

I'm sure no one saw this coming right?...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 2, 2020 17:56

MadMax

As usual Dandy is SPOT ON! Having said that, when I was in 4th grade (10 years old) I knew all 52 state capitals and their states

What?? How many?

You must know something I don't....

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 2, 2020 18:01

Time for a quick joke before thread closure ...

Q1: What is the term for a person who speaks two languages?
A1: Bilingual.

Q2: What is the term for a person who speaks three languages?
A2: Trilingual.

Q3: What is the term for a person who speaks one language?
A3: American.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 2, 2020 18:28

I blows my mind that the US continues to find ways to get dumber!

Laughing stock of the WORLD!

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 18:35

loog droog
MadMax

As usual Dandy is SPOT ON! Having said that, when I was in 4th grade (10 years old) I knew all 52 state capitals and their states

What?? How many?

You must know something I don't....
Don't you remember?....East Carolina and South Vermont both seceded some years ago...

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 18:58

I am an American who loves going to Europe. I can’t wait until it’s safe to go back.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 2, 2020 19:30

BV, just close this thread. Better yet, DELETE IT!!!

plexi

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home