Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
BV - Your Flag is Confusing Us
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 1, 2020 18:26

Dear Everybody -

please respect BVs wishes NOT to turn this thread into a political nightmare....

I simply wanted to share this w/ the only Norwegian I "know"...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...but, apparently Norway's flag (which looks NOTHING like the Confederate Flag) is confusing some Americans!!!

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

As Bon Scott might say: "OY!!"

(feel free to close this thread...I mean no disrespect to your rules about political stuff...I just thought you might find it funny/awful and wanted to share)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-01 19:42 by bv.

Re: BV - Your Flag is Confusing Us!!!confused smiley
Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: August 1, 2020 18:34

Sadly it shows how very ignorant young Americans are. They learn nothing of value in school; only how to hate our country. I have seen interviews of American college students on campuses and they have no clue. Many can't even point out Europe on a map, let alone Norway.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: August 1, 2020 19:13

I know it's real, but it could have been part of Sheldon Cooper's 'Fun with flags' series in BBT...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 1, 2020 19:23

it takes a lot of effort. You got a remember....which store is this? Am I a an american? Am I afraid of the world? What's this sound, is it any wonder?

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: August 1, 2020 19:23

Give me a break. Hate their country? Most are just trying to get by and love their country more than most, they just want change, usually for the better (like most of the world's youth). As far as cartography skills, old and young Americans seem to have difficulty with their geography.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 1, 2020 19:49

BOBM
Sadly it shows how very ignorant young Americans are. They learn nothing of value in school; only how to hate our country. I have seen interviews of American college students on campuses and they have no clue. Many can't even point out Europe on a map, let alone Norway.

Some of them tink Holland is next to Poland

Re: BV - Your Flag is Confusing Us
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2020 20:02

Title of thread is misleading as not all of "Us" are confused.
The confederate flag controversy is ALL about politics, and don't really see the point of bringing it up here....lame thread.thumbs down

Date: August 1, 2020 20:05

NICOS

Some of them tink Holland is next to Poland

At least it rhymes.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-01 20:08 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 1, 2020 20:49

I feel sorry for American students. The world outside of the US doesn`t exist for many of them. Nothing knew , experienced it for many many years. The rest of the world knows the difference between these flags. I am glad it`s a Norwegian flag and not a "America comes first " flag.
Greetings from Germany.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 1, 2020 21:02

I don't blame them - Norwegians were also rebels. King Oscar II (King of Sweden and Norway) was furious with them for leaving the union. He died shortly after that...

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 1, 2020 21:22

Hairball
The confederate flag controversy is ALL about politics, and don't really see the point of bringing it up here....lame thread.thumbs down

I don't want to go down this road but the confederate flag issue is not about politics, it's about a racist symbol.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: August 1, 2020 21:23

Why take it down? Why not just explain to people how utterly stupid they are?. No one has any guts anymore. This BS is completely out of control. (Hey-Stones!).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2020 21:28

Uh huh yeah, when you're flying your flags
All my confidence sags
You've got me packing my bags

......................Soul Survivor - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 1, 2020 22:05

BOBM
Many can't even point out Europe on a map, let alone Norway.

Consider yourself lucky. At least they won't land on your shores when the USD dies and they flock en masse to a new country.

"Nei nei, beklager, American friend, this is not Norway here... this is... Anthrax Island! And on our flag the blue cross means "don't enter!" and the red part means 'Danger!" grinning smiley

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 1, 2020 23:06

First of all, the flags are not similar AT ALL! And I have to agree with Daspyknows...ALL Americans are not stupid, just roughly 34%...and they are lost causes! The owners of that B&B should leave the flag up & stop kow-towing to ignorance!

Date: August 1, 2020 23:12

One paradox is the relation between the length of education and and the real knowledge that comes out of it. Or to phrase it in another way:
There are many people with degrees but few who are actually educated. Does someone follow me?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2020 23:17

steffialicia
Hairball

I don't want to go down this road but the confederate flag issue is not about politics, it's about a racist symbol.

But you went down that road anyways...
Yeah it's a racist symbol (to some), but it's rooted in politics - namely a Civil War...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 1, 2020 23:22

A person would need to be extremely ignorant & unobservant to confuse these two flags.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 1, 2020 23:24

roryg
Give me a break. Hate their country? Most are just trying to get by and love their country more than most, they just want change, usually for the better (like most of the world's youth). As far as cartography skills, old and young Americans seem to have difficulty with their geography.

Oh for crying out loud. How many Europeans can point to South Dakota without blinking?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2020 23:27

HHHaaaaa hey yeah Koen ... thats a good one ..... HHhaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 1, 2020 23:31

Looking at the photograph of the flags in the article, from a distance the Norwegian flag could possibly be mistaken for the Stars and Bars if flapping in the wind. Up close, you'd really have to have never seen the Confederate flag to mistake it for such. As for people bashing the U-S-of-A, yes, there are some pretty ignorant, if not outright dumb people here. You can say the same for every country. Ignorance, prejudice, dumbness about the world and the peoples that live on it recognizes no borders, no boundaries.

Date: August 1, 2020 23:39

That's right, Koen. And do not even mention the US state capitals. Or flags...

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: August 1, 2020 23:47

There are actually several different types of Confederate flags...I wonder if anyone would notice or even know what they were if some of them were flying somewhere...hmmmmm..

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: August 1, 2020 23:48

Rockman
HHHaaaaa hey yeah Koen ... thats a good one ..... HHhaaaaaaaaaaa
smileys with beer

Date: August 1, 2020 23:50

Koen
roryg

Oh for crying out loud. How many Europeans can point to South Dakota without blinking?

We are talking about countries, right? I don't expect foreigners to know about all the regions within Norway smiling smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 2, 2020 00:03

BOBM

I taught college for decades, and never came across one person who taught their students to hate our country. Not one.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 2, 2020 00:10

Maybe the people demanded the flag be removed as a glorification of the phallocentric white supremacist Viking culture.

A little critical theory can justify anything

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 2, 2020 00:14

DandelionPowderman
Koen
roryg

We are talking about countries, right? I don't expect foreigners to know about all the regions within Norway smiling smiley

You beat me to it - I was about to say the same about regions or counties of the UK! I would be very surprised if the average foreigner could name more than a few, of them, let alone pinpoint them on a map.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 2, 2020 00:19

>never came across one person who taught their students to hate our country.

It just kind of comes naturally when you learn the true historic facts, something not taught in non-college schools at all in my day.

The good news is that 34% cited by daspy appears to be shrinking, as rapidly as the polar ice caps.

And comparing an European country to some backwater state like South Dakota (did you say?) is a bit specious. Most Americans might have a problem pointing to South Dakota on an unmarked map. Speaking for myself.

jb

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 2, 2020 00:51

My point was just that there’s always people laughing at Americans for not knowing geography (countries, states, regions). You know, it’s Tuesday, so this must be Belgium. While many Europeans can’t probably point to even some other European countries either.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home