Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Have you ever been to concert when Mick Taylor was a Stone?
Date: August 4, 2020 23:41

I wonder if the entire concert has been filmed.

SFM Amsterdam 1970.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 5, 2020 01:16

Saw MT solo in 1995 in LA. My pal and I got to meet him and
we purchased an autographed BOX CD set with an MT guitar pick.
For $20, it was a smart purchase.

BTW-MT was a very nice guy and nice to talk to.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2020 03:04

georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
I've seen him as a Bluesbreaker at the Roxy in '82 which was better than many of the Stones shows I've attended (musically speaking).
And then back in his rightful place as a Stone (but labeled a "guest") six times back in 2013 where he was no doubt the highlight - especially the second L.A. Staples show, May 20.
Also saw him as a solo act w/his band at the 100 Club in London, 2003.

Would have loved to have seen him live with the Stones back in their prime, but thankfully there's plenty of audio and video documentation from that era to enjoy.

Hi Hairball, were you waiting outside the 100 Club (2003) when Mick Taylor arrived (with his Dutch girlfriend)? If so, did you see him coming up to a guy and shook his hands?

I don't recall any of that georgie, but I'm assuming that was you he greeted and shook hands with?
Over 17 years ago now (hard to believe) chances are I was already inside hunkered down at front of stage center waiting for the maestro to unleash his virtuosity.thumbs up

It was me indeed. In 2002 I was involved in making radio programs on the Stones history and we managed to invite Mick Taylor to the (small) studio to contribute to the "Mick Taylor years", both through an interview and by playing live (with the help of a friend). It was a very enjoyable day (he also signed my daughter's guitar) and we talked a lot about lots of things. So it wasn't a big surprise that he walked up to me in 2003. I even remember there was a very light drizzling rain at some point while we were waiting outside. Time flies ...
But ... just one more month and the GHS de Luxe will arrive smileys with beer

Yes just one more month before GHS Deluxe....thumbs up

But wondering how long until they release a brand new album? Or will they ever release one at all?
With all the focus on the past, not sure if they'll ever be able to focus on an entire brand new album.
Another covers album maybe, and they could easily spit one right out ala Blue and Lonesome, but an album of new originals?
Probably not...probably more likely to see a new MT solo album than a new Stones album (which truth be told might be preferable at this point).
Oh well georgie, what to do...no new tour and no new album...the Stones are simply living in the past...better than nothing I suppose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-05 03:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: August 5, 2020 04:43

Only as a “guest”. Still a privilege. Seen him with Ronnie Wood in the Cutting Room in NYC a few years ago. Met him that night as well. Nice fella

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: August 5, 2020 06:39

didn't realize it was so many; for me only the first two really "count"

'72 LA forum afternoon show
'73 LA forum nicaragua earthquake show
'12 London opener
'13 San Jose
'13 Anaheim

Re: Have you ever been to concert when Mick Taylor was a Stone!
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 5, 2020 13:22

TheflyingDutchman
CousinC
Yes,

Essen 1970
And some 1973 gigs.

Among them the 3 Essen shows,
where I worked as a local roadie.
Helping with the Stones Mobile.
That's how I know they recorded them.

Edit:
Erhard51 smileys with beer

thumbs up

That sounds great. As far as I know there's only one audience recording from Essen 1970. Is there any chance they recorded that with the Stones Mobile; that would be an amazing hidden gem ?

Nah, unfortunately not the nice Essen 70 show.

They recorded some gigs in 73. But not all.
But the 3 Essen gigs in a row were among them.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 5, 2020 16:02

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
I've seen him as a Bluesbreaker at the Roxy in '82 which was better than many of the Stones shows I've attended (musically speaking).
And then back in his rightful place as a Stone (but labeled a "guest") six times back in 2013 where he was no doubt the highlight - especially the second L.A. Staples show, May 20.

Would have loved to have seen him live with the Stones back in their prime, but thankfully there's plenty of audio and video documentation from that era to enjoy.

Hi Hairball, were you waiting outside the 100 Club (2003) when Mick Taylor arrived (with his Dutch girlfriend)? If so, did you see him coming up to a guy and shook his hands?

I don't recall any of that georgie, but I'm assuming that was you he greeted and shook hands with?
Over 17 years ago now (hard to believe) chances are I was already inside hunkered down at front of stage center waiting for the maestro to unleash his virtuosity.thumbs up

It was me indeed. In 2002 I was involved in making radio programs on the Stones history and we managed to invite Mick Taylor to the (small) studio to contribute to the "Mick Taylor years", both through an interview and by playing live (with the help of a friend). It was a very enjoyable day (he also signed my daughter's guitar) and we talked a lot about lots of things. So it wasn't a big surprise that he walked up to me in 2003. I even remember there was a very light drizzling rain at some point while we were waiting outside. Time flies ...

But wondering how long until they release a brand new album? Or will they ever release one at all?
With all the focus on the past, not sure if they'll ever be able to focus on an entire brand new album.
Another covers album maybe, and they could easily spit one right out ala Blue and Lonesome, but an album of new winking smileyoriginals?
Probably not...probably more likely to see a new MT solo album than a new Stones album (which truth be told might be preferable at this point).
Oh well georgie, what to do...no new tour and no new album...the Stones are simply living in the past...better than nothing I suppose.

Over the decades I learned to deal with impatience, luckily. After 1973 (due to my move to Japan for almost three years, not a very internationally orientated country then), apart off course from other things, I lived on my Stones (and some other) records and didn't even know the Stones were touring the USA in 1975 until that tour was over. I actually saw an announcement somewhere in Tokyo on a lamppost that they we coming to Japan that year, but my search was in vain. I missed 1976 Europe and only in 1982 I saw them live again. Then the next time was 1990. From then on life was paradise cool smiley
I'm sure Mick (and Keith) are still looking ahead, but as always, we "poor" fans have to be patient. 2022 is my relaxed focus ... including news songs. I suggest you join me on that focus winking smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 5, 2020 16:11

No, and I’m still kicking myself for not going in 2013 thinking he’d be back on the next North American tour closer to home.

My pops saw them in 1969 and is still kicking himself for not going in ‘72. Like father like son.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 5, 2020 17:37

yes

Date: August 6, 2020 03:15

georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball

Another covers album maybe, and they could easily spit one right out ala Blue and Lonesome, but an album of new winking smileyoriginals?

Over the decades I learned to deal with impatience, luckily. After 1973 (due to my move to Japan for almost three years, not a very internationally orientated country then), apart off course from other things, I lived on my Stones (and some other) records and didn't even know the Stones were touring the USA in 1975 until that tour was over. I actually saw an announcement somewhere in Tokyo on a lamppost that they we coming to Japan that year, but my search was in vain. I missed 1976 Europe and only in 1982 I saw them live again. Then the next time was 1990. From then on life was paradise cool smiley
I'm sure Mick (and Keith) are still looking ahead, but as always, we "poor" fans have to be patient. 2022 is my relaxed focus ... including news songs. I suggest you join me on that focus winking smiley

smileys with beer

Join you on that 2022 focus georgie? Been there,done that, several times now. winking smiley
In fact I've been in the 2018 camp, the 2019 camp, and the 2020 camp, but after experiencing the repeated failure of the Stones to deliver a new album, I've gone to the camps 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024.
As of right now, I've finally and comfortably settled safely in to the 2025 camp. After hearing them repeatedly blab on about "working on a new album" with nothing to show for it all these years later, I'm a bit jaded.
Yes they released a brand new single tune, and yes it's a great one, but ONE tune after all this time!!! And hear they are farting around with the GHS Deluxe - currently focusing all their energy on a crappy tune like Scarlet...
So sit back, relax, don't set yourself up for disappointment, enjoy the Deluxe releases, and don't hold your breath for anything new...join the 2025 camp today and you might not be disappointed!smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 6, 2020 04:55

Unfortunately, no.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: August 6, 2020 09:03

Yes i have. Montreal, July17,1972 and not again until Toronto 2, June 2013 where he played on both Midight Rambler AND Can't you Hear me Knocking. Also got to see him at the McGill University union ballroom (Montreal) in Oct. 1968 as a Bluesbreaker with John Mayall. It was a sparsely attended show and i was able to stand directly in front of him for the entire performance. Wish i could tell you that i was awestruck and totally blown away by his playing but, truth be told, it was over 50 years ago and i remember next to nothing.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 6, 2020 11:05

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball

smileys with beer

Join you on that 2022 focus georgie? Been there,done that, several times now. winking smiley
In fact I've been in the 2018 camp, the 2019 camp, and the 2020 camp, but after experiencing the repeated failure of the Stones to deliver a new album, I've gone to the camps 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024.
As of right now, I've finally and comfortably settled safely in to the 2025 camp. After hearing them repeatedly blab on about "working on a new album" with nothing to show for it all these years later, I'm a bit jaded.
Yes they released a brand new single tune, and yes it's a great one, but ONE tune after all this time!!! And hear they are farting around with the GHS Deluxe - currently focusing all their energy on a crappy tune like Scarlet...
So sit back, relax, don't set yourself up for disappointment, enjoy the Deluxe releases, and don't hold your breath for anything new...join the 2025 camp today and you might not be disappointed!smiling smiley

2025? My goodness Hairball. I'll be the same age then as Mick is now. I have to make sure I'm in good shape by then, if I want to swing on yet another Stones concert grinning smiley
Only listening to records ... noooo.
I'm in good shape now, but will have to ask Mick what he is doing all the time (apart from living with younger women grinning smiley). Maybe I should join his program making sure he is also in good shape being 82 then. Ah well, some prospects ahead. I keep you informed cool smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 6, 2020 19:41

Gimme Shelter Philadelphila 1972. This made me a Rolling Stones believer. It speaks for itself.

[youtu.be]

Date: August 6, 2020 19:45

Cheers georgie - for your sake and mine, I truly hope to be proven wrong about 2025.
Maybe when the GHS Deluxe dust has settled, they'll refocus their energy on the supposed new album....smileys with beer
And since it seems it's all Mick in charge of the GHS promo department, I have a feeling Keith is currently doing just that - refocusing on some new "dynamite riffs" for the future.

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: August 6, 2020 21:34

This is from Frankfurt '73, it mirrors my impression, especially those blue spotlights from behind the stage. Taylor just playing, not acting.

[rolling-stones.disciplemedia.com]

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 7, 2020 03:55

MisterDDDD
Caught him several times in '13, one of the best 'Rambler renditions I've ever seen in Vegas, all three of them on their knees following Taylor's lead. Was fantastic!
cool smiley

Anyone catch him with them in '81?

I was there in Vegas 2013 and I don't remember them going down on their knees. I'll have to check the video which I think Glimmer Stone had up, but maybe is lost now since he got hacked.

plexi

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 9, 2020 02:19

My first Stones concert was July 1972 at the old Boston Garden. I've told the story before so let's say it was memorable for A LOT of reasons..the first being the arrest of Mick & Keith the night before my show..Keith punched a photographer is Warwick, Rhode Island and mayor Kevin White bailed them out. I saw them the NEXT night and Mick Taylor was brilliant...Love In Vain...PERFECTION as was Midnight Rambler! I'm sure the band played on very little sleep seeing as how they never finished that first show until near 3AM...The Taylor years were, IMO the VERY BEST of the Rolling Stones years...he has a fluidity that is beyond compare and they are a BLUES BASED BAND and MT is all about the blues. I wish he'd stayed with them. Many years later I saw Mick Taylor solo at a club in Troy New York called the Van Dyke....he was under the influence of SOMETHING, couldn't TALK straight but it didn't affect his playing! Sad to see him that way...it looked like he had on a wig...not very well put together. A friend who knows a lot of inside stuff about the band said he had been on heavy pain meds due to severe back pain so that may have been why he was so loopy. Still, he played brilliantly!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 9, 2020 10:04

Liseberg, Gothenbourg, September 6, 1970.
Scandinavium, Gothenbourg, October 6, 1973 (both shows).

Date: August 9, 2020 14:30

PhillyFAN
Gimme Shelter Philadelphila 1972. This made me a Rolling Stones believer. It speaks for itself.

[youtu.be]

thumbs up

Thank You Philly, thank You. That's a brilliant performance indeed.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 9, 2020 14:38

eismann
This is from Frankfurt '73, it mirrors my impression, especially those blue spotlights from behind the stage. Taylor just playing, not acting.

[rolling-stones.disciplemedia.com]

Someone on congas. Probably from Billy Pr.band

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home