Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Have you ever been to concert when Mick Taylor was a Stone?
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 2, 2020 00:25

So this is better than Welcome to New York, which must have been from the same series of shows?

Because I always thought that was my #1 Stones bootleg. They were snarling like tigers.

jb

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 00:59

IMO ,the July 25 1972 evening show was the best of the 4New York shows, but they were all great.The Portions ofsecond show Dick Cavett show filmed is such poor quality .And it’s not because it’s 1972 technology.Some of the Beatles shows are in much better quality

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2020 01:38

Yep.... the three Melbourne '73 shows ...
Body buzzed for weeeeeeeeeeeks ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 2, 2020 03:10

1972 MSG

Scorching MT leads over KR open tuning chords like SFM, so heavy...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 2, 2020 03:58

7/26/72 MSG, an obviously cosmic event.

I think the boots from the Philly shows the week before are the Stones at their peak, up there with the best of 73.

I saw Mick T again in Philadelphia about 5 years ago on the US tour when he played 2 songs.

In the hotel elevator the next day a guy gets on with a stones shirt so i say Great Show or something like that and he says something about how great Mick T was on CYKMK and my wife says "I was wondering who that guy was playing guitar? He blew the Stones away"

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 2, 2020 04:21

Rokyfan

I think the boots from the Philly shows the week before are the Stones at their peak, up there with the best of 73.

I saw Mick T again in Philadelphia about 5 years ago on the US tour when he played 2 songs.

In the hotel elevator the next day a guy gets on with a stones shirt so i say Great Show or something like that and he says something about how great Mick T was on CYKMK and my wife says "I was wondering who that guy was playing guitar? He blew the Stones away"

I dont know how people judge a show by a bootleg. The show might sound completely different in another seat. Same show. I've heard as many as four or five bootlegs from the same show. One they sound great another like crap. Again its the same show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2020 04:23

.... yeah thats true ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 2, 2020 05:54

Well, kinda not really. Even though a recording made at one place might not sound the same as another seat on the same night in the same venue, they are still PLAYING the same. The quality that playing is captured in is sort of beside the point if you are talking about a great show being one in which they all played well, together and separate, and they played the same at location A in the place as they did at location B.

So, actually, you CAN tell how well they played on even an unclear, muffled recording, at least most of the time. How it sounded in the hall is rarely captured by even a professional recording due to room acoustics, microphone position and of course audience noise. That doesn't change how they played that particular show and that, to me, is what can be judged from a bootleg no matter the sound quality.

I believe this was explained once already so it is clear the top lady doesn't get the concept.

jb

Posted by: curt ()
Date: August 2, 2020 08:36

11/27/69 New York City Madison Square Garden
11/28/69 New York City Madison Square Garden
12/6/69 Altamont Speedway
6/6/72 San Francisco, California Winterland Ballroom
5/5/13 Oakland, California Oracle Arena
3/9/14 Macau, China Cotai Arena

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 2, 2020 09:12

Chacho
Hello StonedAsiaExile,

It was Ron Wood in Dallas 1975.

My mistake.

I have now corrected it and edited
my post, above.

Thanks for pointing that out.

When that many years have passed,
sometimes the memory fails

I know the feeling....thought maybe he made an appearance I wasn't aware of. Cheers!!

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: August 2, 2020 10:08

Yes In Copenhagen 1973.

And to be honest if I compare the band as such are stronger in the version with Ron Wood.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 2, 2020 18:36

I wish there were better recordings or videos from that period. Latter day fans really love the latter Stones but never saw them live when Mick Taylor was in The Stones. Bill Wyman either for that matter. I have never forgotten how great they were as a live band without all the bells,whistles and back up singers. Not that I mind them. Keith amd Mick Taylor were a dynamic duo that kicked ass and took no prisoners.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 2, 2020 19:44

Silver Dagger
Wembley Empire Pool Sept 8 1973. Amazing gig.

And you recorded that, did you not?

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 2, 2020 19:47

Taylor1
HouseBoyKnows
Madison Square Garden July 25, 1972 (evening show). My first Stones show. I remember being amazed at the leads he played. Ya-Yas was my main point of reference at that time, and I was a total Keith fan and always thought of him as the Stones lead guitarist.

HBK
That show IMO was one of the best Shows of the tour.How there is no decentaudio or video recordingsof these great 72 shows is a shame

There probably is.

plexi

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 2, 2020 19:57

Cooltoplady

I dont know how people judge a show by a bootleg.

Otoh judging a gig from the memories of a person who was there often leads to a comment like "best show evah, duuude!" because the person in question was high/drunk, or both or just elated to see the band. Another problem is they sometimes claim a rare song was performed at the show they attended while we know that wasn't the case...

Date: August 3, 2020 01:35

Rokyfan

He didn't. IMO he blew himself away. All the dreams I had.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 3, 2020 16:14

I don't think as a band they were never better musically live.

well ... umhh ... okay? ... Isn't it?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 3, 2020 16:48

Four dimensions?
I (and a Stones friend) helped a Radio DJ with making four, two hours long, radio sessions about the Rolling Stones, both studio and live recordings. Roughly speaking:
The original Rolling Stones (with Brian obviously)
The Mick Taylor years (Mick contributed live to that session)
The Ronnie Wood years
The Post-Bill Wyman years
(Where were Mick, Keith and Charlie grinning smiley)

We were thinking of making comparisons, but in all honesty, what's the point of that?
Realistically one can speak of four dimensions of Rolling Stones and without the need for comparison each dimension has/had it's charmes. I consider myself very lucky to have experienced all four dimensions during well over 56 years and man,
what a party it has been so far.
smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 3, 2020 18:28

Caught him several times in '13, one of the best 'Rambler renditions I've ever seen in Vegas, all three of them on their knees following Taylor's lead. Was fantastic!
cool smiley

Anyone catch him with them in '81?

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: August 3, 2020 18:59

1969: Baltimore Civic Center
1972: Capital Center, Largo Maryland

Both were great shows, 1969 acoustic set with Prodigal Son & You Got To Move [sang to the police at the front edge of the stage]. Mick Taylor stood out more in 1972; especially during Gimme Shelter & You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: August 4, 2020 08:39

11-08-69 both shows and my 18th Birthday to boot

Altamont

Long Beach Arena '72

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 4, 2020 10:43

I would love to see fan/audience photos from these 69 and 72 shows - if anyone has them could they post them please?

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 4, 2020 11:22

Midnight Rambler.

The 2014 Auckland Gig.

before they block it. Eagle Rock actually blocked my 2 other uploads from this gig

Here's the private unlisted link.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: August 4, 2020 12:35

Yes, once. Stockholm Råsunda Stadium september 1970

Date: August 4, 2020 12:40

Rotterdam 1973.

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: August 4, 2020 15:07

Birmingham (UK) 1973 2nd Show. What a stunning 'live' period was The Taylor Years. The only downside being the occasional use of a wah wah pedal which sends me straight to MUTE!!!! (Wow!! I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks all).

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 4, 2020 19:15

I'll never forget his playing Gimme
Shelter in Philly in 1972. It's on the Philadelphia Special boot. I remember he and Keith glancing at each knowingly. Their playing complimented each other proving they were the greatest rock n roll band at that time.Just pure hot rock n roll. I had hoped he would have been allowed to play on a few more songs he originally played on. But it's fun to imagine. It's 2020 and glad to know they are still able to play and tour.What will we do when the inevitable happens.(sigh)

Date: August 4, 2020 20:47

Hairball
I've seen him as a Bluesbreaker at the Roxy in '82 which was better than many of the Stones shows I've attended (musically speaking).
And then back in his rightful place as a Stone (but labeled a "guest") six times back in 2013 where he was no doubt the highlight - especially the second L.A. Staples show, May 20.
Also saw him as a solo act w/his band at the 100 Club in London, 2003.

Would have loved to have seen him live with the Stones back in their prime, but thankfully there's plenty of audio and video documentation from that era to enjoy.

Hi Hairball, were you waiting outside the 100 Club (2003) when Mick Taylor arrived (with his Dutch girlfriend)? If so, did you see him coming up to a guy and shook his hands?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2020 20:55

georgie48
Hairball
I've seen him as a Bluesbreaker at the Roxy in '82 which was better than many of the Stones shows I've attended (musically speaking).
And then back in his rightful place as a Stone (but labeled a "guest") six times back in 2013 where he was no doubt the highlight - especially the second L.A. Staples show, May 20.

Would have loved to have seen him live with the Stones back in their prime, but thankfully there's plenty of audio and video documentation from that era to enjoy.

Hi Hairball, were you waiting outside the 100 Club (2003) when Mick Taylor arrived (with his Dutch girlfriend)? If so, did you see him coming up to a guy and shook his hands?

I don't recall any of that georgie, but I'm assuming that was you he greeted and shook hands with?
Over 17 years ago now (hard to believe) chances are I was already inside hunkered down at front of stage center waiting for the maestro to unleash his virtuosity.thumbs up

Date: August 4, 2020 21:31

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball

I don't recall any of that georgie, but I'm assuming that was you he greeted and shook hands with?
Over 17 years ago now (hard to believe) chances are I was already inside hunkered down at front of stage center waiting for the maestro to unleash his virtuosity.thumbs up

It was me indeed. In 2002 I was involved in making radio programs on the Stones history and we managed to invite Mick Taylor to the (small) studio to contribute to the "Mick Taylor years", both through an interview and by playing live (with the help of a friend). It was a very enjoyable day (he also signed my daughter's guitar) and we talked a lot about lots of things. So it wasn't a big surprise that he walked up to me in 2003. I even remember there was a very light drizzling rain at some point while we were waiting outside. Time flies ...
But ... just one more month and the GHS de Luxe will arrive smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1975
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home