Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Will there be Emotional Rescue deluxe?
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 5, 2020 06:15

Emotional Rescue is certainly a great choice for a Christmas present. Why listen to Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer when Send it to Me is available?

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 5, 2020 09:23

I have no intention of purchasing any of the deluxe money grabs but let me just say Ron Wood could stake his claim as one of rock’s truly great musicians on the strength of his outrageously brilliant bass line in the title track. It’s like he’s coaxing powerful yet mellifluous farts from a mule.

Would love to hear Emotional Rescue in all its kitschy glory once the show gets back on the road. Time for Keith to dig up 'All About Anita' for his set too - it's the album's best song but they give it the dead dog treatment.

Date: August 5, 2020 10:35

I thought they treated it mighty fine. They should play it more often, though.

Brilliant song.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2020 19:08

Swayed1967
Ron Wood could stake his claim as one of rock’s truly great musicians on the strength of his outrageously brilliant bass line in the title track. It’s like he’s coaxing powerful yet mellifluous farts from a mule.

Lol... smiling smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 5, 2020 21:02

cimaz
Who cares for a deluxe release of ER when they missed the opportunity to do so with Beggars Banquet and Let it bleed.

ER would have made a great EP at best.

??

Let It Bleed SD released from DECCA is standing in my bookshelve so have I missed summat?

ER is better and more fun than Let It Bleed. Only Gimme Shelter and Monkey Man are ten outta ten tunes IMHO. Country Honk is boring, Love In Vain brilliant but a cover, YCAGWYW is far better live, title track I liked when I was 15 but now I always skip it while watching Pais 1995 for instance, You Got The Silver has been played too often live.

Beggars should get a proper SD treatment though.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 5, 2020 21:14

MadMax
cimaz
Who cares for a deluxe release of ER when they missed the opportunity to do so with Beggars Banquet and Let it bleed.

??

Let It Bleed SD released from DECCA is standing in my bookshelve so have I missed summat?

ER is better and more fun than Let It Bleed. Only Gimme Shelter and Monkey Man are ten outta ten tunes IMHO. Country Honk is boring, Love In Vain brilliant but a cover, YCAGWYW is far better live, title track I liked when I was 15 but now I always skip it while watching Pais 1995 for instance, You Got The Silver has been played too often live.

Deluxe treatment meaning extra tracks. The glorified shiny packaging that ABKCO did was a money grab - having zero extra music makes it pointless, at least for people that prefer to have extra music instead of a shined up version of something one already has.

Admittedly I have been very disappointed with 2 of the 3 deluxe reissues so far, STICKY FINGERS being the best. The EOMS extra disc was way too short and only has 3 really good tracks on it (the first 3). SG's extra disc was a bit thin considering what was leftover and, just as with EOMS and the upcoming GHS, recording dates apparently don't matter.

It seems that the GHS deluxe will be more promising than anything so far, even with only 3 extra sessions tracks.

Date: August 5, 2020 21:18

GasLightStreet
MadMax
cimaz

??

Deluxe treatment meaning extra tracks. The glorified shiny packaging that ABKCO did was a money grab - having zero extra music makes it pointless, at least for people that prefer to have extra music instead of a shined up version of something one already has.

Admittedly I have been very disappointed with 2 of the 3 deluxe reissues so far, STICKY FINGERS being the best. The EOMS extra disc was way too short and only has 3 really good tracks on it (the first 3). SG's extra disc was a bit thin considering what was leftover and, just as with EOMS and the upcoming GHS, recording dates apparently don't matter.

It seems that the GHS deluxe will be more promising than anything so far, even with only 3 extra sessions tracks.

Yeah I agree.

Date: August 5, 2020 23:21

There were extras on BB DL.

SFTD 33" mono single and an interview flexi disc.

Considering it was ABKCO, this was very generous winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-05 23:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 5, 2020 23:50

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 6, 2020 01:06

MadMax
GasLightStreet
MadMax
cimaz

??

Yeah I agree.
Everyone has their own tastes but your comments about most of Let it Bleed’s songs are not as good as emotional rescue would be met by disagreement by99.99 percent of sane people.Your comments about You Can’t Always Get What You Want studio version is really borderlines trolling.That May be the greatest Stones’ studio song.Emotional Rescue is mostlygarbage .Mick himself said Let it Bleed may be his favorite album.Again,you are entitled to your opinion,but do you also think that Sing this all together see what happens and On with the show are better than most of Let it Bleed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-06 01:08 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 6, 2020 08:58

LOL. Maybe he is trolling but your hyperbolic praise of Jagger’s ‘Say You Will’ and anything Taylor-related makes you the last person on this forum who should be calling him on it.

Besides, he has a point when he says Emotional Rescue is the more ‘fun’ album as many of the songs on LIB are dark and heavy thanks to the messiah complex Jagger had at the time. I personally can’t get through the album version of Midnight Rambler (YCAGWYW also begins to wear out its welcome around the 5 minute mark if I’m being honest) and as arresting as the intro to Gimme Shelter is the song kinda runs over me like a tank.

By contrast, Ronnie’s bass line in Emotional Rescue is an equal work of genius IMO and Jagger’s silky vocals transport me to the unstained pastures of peace & seduction. Sure, ER is lightweight – by 1980 Jagger was running on empty creatively speaking and his lyrics are the proof of it – but he and the boys were still capable of composing tight sexy and fun pop songs. ER is breezy and unambitious but it’s still a great album. I would never say it’s better than LIB though. Say you will comment just as judiciously the next time Primitive Cool is revisited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-06 09:01 by Swayed1967.

Date: August 6, 2020 12:52

Swayed1967
LOL. Maybe he is trolling but your hyperbolic praise of Jagger’s ‘Say You Will’ and anything Taylor-related makes you the last person on this forum who should be calling him on it.

Besides, he has a point when he says Emotional Rescue is the more ‘fun’ album as many of the songs on LIB are dark and heavy thanks to the messiah complex Jagger had at the time. I personally can’t get through the album version of Midnight Rambler (YCAGWYW also begins to wear out its welcome around the 5 minute mark if I’m being honest) and as arresting as the intro to Gimme Shelter is the song kinda runs over me like a tank.

By contrast, Ronnie’s bass line in Emotional Rescue is an equal work of genius IMO and Jagger’s silky vocals transport me to the unstained pastures of peace & seduction. Sure, ER is lightweight – by 1980 Jagger was running on empty creatively speaking and his lyrics are the proof of it – but he and the boys were still capable of composing tight sexy and fun pop songs. ER is breezy and unambitious but it’s still a great album. I would never say it’s better than LIB though. Say you will comment just as judiciously the next time Primitive Cool is revisited.
Dont mistate my comments.I don’t praise everything about Taylor’s work, although he was with them during part of their peak years.I praise Wood and Brian as much. Your comments about Emotional Rescue being the more fun album are as ridiculous as me saying Baby Shark is more fun than Gimme Shelter.And Say You Will is a great ballad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-06 18:33 by Taylor1.

Date: August 6, 2020 15:11

Taylor1
MadMax
GasLightStreet
MadMax
cimaz

??

Yeah I agree.
Everyone has their own tastes but your comments about most of Let it Bleed’s songs are not as good as emotional rescue would be met by disagreement by99.99 percent of sane people.Your comments about You Can’t Always Get What You Want studio version is really borderlines trolling.That May be the greatest Stones’ studio song.Emotional Rescue is mostlygarbage .Mick himself said Let it Bleed may be his favorite album.Again,you are entitled to your opinion,but do you also think that Sing this all together see what happens and On with the show are better than most of Let it Bleed?

Do you read what I write pal? I joined this forum in the autumn of 2003 so for me to "troll" my NUMBER ONE favourite internet site would be kinda stupid don't you think? I am a musician and I happen to love to listen to Dance, Indian Girl, Send It To Me, She's So Cold, Down In The Hole and All About You etc etc because the band progressed so much during the 70's and they put in so much interesting smoking mirrors and details on ER, (one example is Bobby Keys's saxophone joining in during the last 15 seconds of Let Me Go, PURE GENIUS!!).

Gimme Shelter is still my number one favourite ALBUM RECORDING (along with Start Me Up, Let Me Go and She's So Cold) because it is perfect. YCAGWYW is alright live (but a bore on the album) but I would much rather have Summer Romance as the first encore before Brown Sugar next time I see them live for instance. Crotch music you know?

Between The Buttons or TSMR I haven't listened to for ages. Not really my cuppa tea as I dig Undercover, ER, Exile, Beggars, GHS and Black And Blue and stuff in that vein. Stones are supposed to make you dance, have fun and give you the courage to walk up to the most beautiful girl in the room. ER is natural continuation with all the cool, progressive rythms,lyrics and just pure Rock n Roll.

And just think(when we go back to this thread's subject) what a GREAT Suoer Deluxe it would be with all the Pathé Marconi/Nassau-stuff that's in the can.. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-06 15:13 by MadMax.

Date: August 6, 2020 16:34

I’m not your pal.And to say the band progressed so much is as ridiculous as your comments about You Can’t Always Get What You Want.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2020 17:14

I noticed that the first time seeing it. Funny considering it was in an old man's classic album collection!

Date: August 6, 2020 20:43

Taylor1
I’m not your pal.And to say the band progressed so much is as ridiculous as your comments about You Can’t Always Get What You Want.

Mature answer. Go and get laid, PAL.

Date: August 6, 2020 22:57

What does getting laid have to do with stating one’s musical opinion? I have a beautiful wife ,so I don’t think Ineed your advice,sweetie.Come to New York or Rhode Island where I have homes and look me upand see how much I need your advice.

Date: August 6, 2020 23:09

Good for you pal! You seemed to take it personal that I prefer ER over L I B.

I'll let you know when I'm in town and I'll buy you the first beer in the micro brewery underneath the Empire State building. My regards to your wifesmileys with beer

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 7, 2020 00:35

Unfortunately it seems that there are people who live in certainties, we accept the fact that someone doesn't like Exile and adores ER, I don't think it's a crime, it falls within the faculty of each of us to have tastes, which can be different.
Personally I always try to respect the tastes of others, but often also here, the others do not respect mine. Avoid saying that this album is shit just because it does not reflect your tastes, it is disrespectful towards others, education is the first rule of civilization.

Date: August 7, 2020 04:02

Testify
Unfortunately it seems that there are people who live in certainties, we accept the fact that someone doesn't like Exile and adores ER, I don't think it's a crime, it falls within the faculty of each of us to have tastes, which can be different.
Personally I always try to respect the tastes of others, but often also here, the others do not respect mine. Avoid saying that this album is shit just because it does not reflect your tastes, it is disrespectful towards others, education is the first rule of civilization.

You're correct. I do draw the line on DIRTY WORK though.

ER being more fun than EOMS? I can understand that. As pointed out by who I can't remember at the moment, that doesn't state it's better.

I love UNDERCOVER even though I know that critically and overall fan wise it's not a well liked album. That doesn't change my taste.

One that feels the same about DIRTY WORK... a sense of humor needs to be solid for some of this banter here: it all boils down to the same thing.

Date: August 7, 2020 10:32

Testify

AMEN Sir!

Although I doubt anyone think ER is better than Exile, Exile is THE desert island record IMHO. But they're deffo in the same league.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: August 7, 2020 10:55

It's a weird thing. I would say that Let It Bleed is 100 x better quality than ER but I listen to ER far more often. so which should I say I prefer?

Nick Kent's review of ER in NME in 1980 made some good observations:

"the Stones have nothing pressing to deal with. Jagger sings draped in a variety of poses"

He even changes accent from alabama to clapham and back again during the otherwise excellent 'Down in the Hole' - a man adrift......

Gimme Shelter and YCAGWYW summed up an era. I read somewhere that keith came up with Gimme Shelter while he was sitting outside the Performance film lot where Jagger was making love to Anita. whether that's true or not the song tapped into something bigger - end of the sixties, civil rights, the Vietnam war etc. Nothing on ER connected to the wider world in that way ,,,,, and yet I find a song like Summer Romance more fun to listen to than Love in vain.

If albums were horses we could race them and find a winner. As it is, we have to enjoy each on its merits e.g I happen to think side two Dirty Work is a solid side of great music. But I'm in the minority... and i can live with that smiling smiley

Date: August 7, 2020 12:53

<Nothing on ER connected to the wider world in that way>

While I enjoyed reading your observations, I have to disagree (only slightly) with this.

It's not the Stones's fault that the world wasn't in the same "turmoil" as in the late 60s. And the social commentaries are there on ER (Indian Girl, Down In The Hole). In fairness, it was not the kind of social commentaries they were known for - and perhaps not "cool" or "contemporary" enough. So in a way I understand what you mean.

I love both ER and LIB myself. Both are varied and balanced albums, music-wise - with excellent performances from the band. LIB had bigger songs, and rode on the wave of HTW - the huge single.

I just don't wanna put them up against eachother. They're both great and give me joy - for different reasons.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 7, 2020 13:39

GasLightStreet
Testify

You're correct. I do draw the line on DIRTY WORK though.

One that feels the same about DIRTY WORK... a sense of humor needs to be solid for some of this banter here: it all boils down to the same thing.

As far as I am concerned, feel free to throw loads of sh.t on DW and DW lovers ... I won't take offence and my enjoying DW will not be disturbed at all (I am sure that deep down you love the album too)

Politically correctness kills the essence of rock and roll

Words don't hurt!

C

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 7, 2020 16:24

If what they put on ER was the best they could do, the unreleased stuff must be f*cking awful.

Date: August 7, 2020 16:27

Father Ted
If what they put on ER was the best they could do, the unreleased stuff must be f*cking awful.

Bloody awful stuff like Heaven, Neighbours, Hang Fire, Little T+A, No Use In Crying, We Had It All, Tallahassee Lassie etc... winking smiley

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 7, 2020 16:29

MadMax
Taylor1

Mature answer. Go and get laid, PAL.

Pure genius answer.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 7, 2020 17:14

DandelionPowderman
Father Ted

Bloody awful stuff like Heaven, Neighbours, Hang Fire, Little T+A, No Use In Crying, We Had It All, Tallahassee Lassie etc... winking smiley[/quote

But all that stuff has now been released so what's left for a <shakes uncontrollably> ER Deluxe Edition? They will literally be scraping the bottom of the barrel for this one.

Date: August 7, 2020 17:35

Father Ted
DandelionPowderman
Father Ted

Bloody awful stuff like Heaven, Neighbours, Hang Fire, Little T+A, No Use In Crying, We Had It All, Tallahassee Lassie etc... winking smiley[/quote

But all that stuff has now been released so what's left for a ER Deluxe Edition? They will literally be scraping the bottom of the barrel for this one.

Actually not. For the SG, RCA (in between SG and ER) and ER-sessions they recorded a ridicuously amount of goodies.

Same with ER. A few samples:

Date: August 7, 2020 18:32

Father Ted

As Dande pointed out, that's not the case. Especially just because you think ER sucks. You could say the same thing about SOME GIRLS or STICKY FINGERS. In fact, it never is "the best they could do", it's just what they want to do. They left tracks recorded for albums off those albums to be on later albums - or not at all - and still had great tracks leftover.

STICKY FINGERS is a great example.
EOMS is a great example.
SOME GIRLS is a great example.
Even VOODOO LOUNGE is a great example.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home