Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Will there be Emotional Rescue deluxe?
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 4, 2020 00:07

For me this is the perfect album for the summer, I don't know why ... but every year in the summer I want ER and every year I consume it.
The great thing about this album is that my nieces and nephews, who are 16 - 18 years old and have an ER on their phone, also find it fantastic.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 4, 2020 00:11

Taylor1
And it has stupid lyrics,mannered singing, an ugly melody.If it had been written and performed by Englebert Humperdink would you listen to it?

That's exactly what I mean with "lightweight" in my previous post. And a song like "Indian Girl" has actually more in common with MOR mainstream pop like Pussycat's "Mississippi" or ABBA's "Fernando" than with everything the Stones did before. Hell, in the right mood I can actually listen to the aforementioned songs, but we're talking about Pussycat and ABBA here, stuff like that from the Stones sounds outright ridiculous.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 4, 2020 00:15

I just wonder why in they should bother with deluxe for a pedestrian album (Emotional Rescue) if they can make much bigger bang with the same material but adapted for their last great one (Tattoo You)?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 4, 2020 01:38

retired_dog
Taylor1
And it has stupid lyrics,mannered singing, an ugly melody.If it had been written and performed by Englebert Humperdink would you listen to it?

That's exactly what I mean with "lightweight" in my previous post. And a song like "Indian Girl" has actually more in common with MOR mainstream pop like Pussycat's "Mississippi" or ABBA's "Fernando" than with everything the Stones did before. Hell, in the right mood I can actually listen to the aforementioned songs, but we're talking about Pussycat and ABBA here, stuff like that from the Stones sounds outright ridiculous.

Indian Girl is still ONE MILLION times better than Say You Will.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 4, 2020 03:45

Taylor1
Too Each his own.I find these songs annoying,unimaginative,and boring.Send it to me is horrible mannered crap

Great!

Context usually can help "define" an album, to which maybe you don't care about.

Could EMOTIONAL RESCUE have been better? Sure. So could BEGGARS/BLEED/FINGERS/EXILE etc.

VOODOO LOUNGE could've been a lot better, too, especially if they'd left off

You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
New Faces
Sweethearts Together
Blinded By Rainbows

But we the fans don't know the context of their mindset when they record albums. Bootlegs reveal what we the fans think should've happened - that's it.

They had enough leftover, according to Keith and I'm guessing it's in regard to what they listened to for TATTOO YOU - for another album.

Maybe an EMOTIONAL RESCUE deluxe (leftovers) will be better the than the original album. No matter how much you go on and on about how bad the songs are on ER and how I think DIRTY WORK sucks it doesn't change a thing.

The sad thing is, you're not having any fun with it.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 4, 2020 04:40

Sweethearts Together is a cool slick song - like the tropical feel.

Send it To Me - she could be Boogarian!!

Sparks will Fly - don't for get the Sharks!! great stuff!

You Got me Rocking great Warhorse!

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 4, 2020 09:01

Chris Fountain

Only listen to Send It To Me from time to time, never to one of the others. Don't care for Voodoo Lounge at all.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 4, 2020 10:30

I love this album, all except the title track....that, I just like. Yes I even LOVE Indian Girl! So a deluxe of this one would suit me fine. Testify mentioned that it's a great summer record. It is - it SOUNDS like a warm summer day to me - really enjoy spinning up this album.

Rod

Date: August 4, 2020 11:05

Are Summer Romance, Where The Boys Go and Let Me Go more lightweight than Whip, Lies and Respectable? Of course not.

Dance, Down In The Hole and She's So Cold are classic funk, blues and rock/pop.

Trying to establish a kind of 'truth' about this album being more lightweight than it's predecessor is imo unfathomable.

It was a natural next step, with an even more varied collection of songs.

ER was a huge single as well. And there couldn't have been that many disappointed fans, as the album topped the charts in six countries and became very popular.

Date: August 4, 2020 13:06

DandelionPowderman
Are Summer Romance, Where The Boys Go and Let Me Go more lightweight than Whip, Lies and Respectable? Of course not.

Trying to establish a kind of 'truth' about this album being more lightweight than it's predecessor is imo unfathomable.

ER was a huge single as well. And there couldn't have been that many disappointed fans, as the album topped the charts in six countries and became very popular.

AMEN smileys with beer

Date: August 4, 2020 13:11

Chris Fountain

smileys with beer The first three I almost (that is almost;-) love more than the missus, YGMR has been gone for some time now so if it reappears again live I would be delighted!

Sparks Will Fly got such a great theme, about the guy coming back to his old hunting ground ie city/area/region for getting laid and he informs his former lover if she's up for it, if not there are other fish in the sea. In other words, he can't lose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 13:14 by MadMax.

Date: August 4, 2020 14:29

Most under rated album in the Stones catalog.

Date: August 4, 2020 17:16

DandelionPowderman

Trying to establish a kind of 'truth' about this album being a masterpiece and a natural next step from it's predecessor is imo unfathomable.

Look, the thing is, you love this album, I think it's mediocre and uneven, and that's perfectly ok. There's no universal truth to this, these are opinions and nothing more.

Therefore, I won't go into more details about why I think that Indian Girl and Where The Boys Go sound downright ridiculous, Send It To Me after it's promising opening riff is just faux tra la la reggae, All About You is the beginning of a (too) long row of Keith snoozefest ballads that can't hold a candle to Coming Down Again, You Got The Silver or even his version of We Had It All, why I think that while sounding great, Dance is just Miss You's poor little sister, why I love the live version of Let Me Go infinitely more than the studio version and what else.

The album is excellently produced, the sound is great, all players did an excellent job, there are great guitars on the album, yet all these values alone don't define a great album for me. Nor do sales figures after it's release.

If there is any objective truth or at least some truth, maybe it can be found in the number of times the band returned to the material after the initial tour. Or how many people who want to listen to Stones music or even in particular Stones from this time period think of the Emotional Rescue album first. From my observation - not too many. But your observations can be totally different, of course.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 4, 2020 17:26

Chris Fountain

Agree!

Date: August 4, 2020 17:30

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

Trying to establish a kind of 'truth' about this album being a masterpiece and a natural next step from it's predecessor is imo unfathomable.

Look, the thing is, you love this album, I think it's mediocre and uneven, and that's perfectly ok. There's no universal truth to this, these are opinions and nothing more.

Therefore, I won't go into more details about why I think that Indian Girl and Where The Boys Go sound downright ridiculous, Send It To Me after it's promising opening riff is just faux tra la la reggae, All About You is the beginning of a (too) long row of Keith snoozefest ballads that can't hold a candle to Coming Down Again, You Got The Silver or even his version of We Had It All, why I think that while sounding great, Dance is just Miss You's poor little sister, why I love the live version of Let Me Go infinitely more than the studio version and what else.

The album is excellently produced, the sound is great, all players did an excellent job, there are great guitars on the album, yet all these values alone don't define a great album for me. Nor do sales figures after it's release.

If there is any objective truth or at least some truth, maybe it can be found in the number of times the band returned to the material after the initial tour. Or how many people who want to listen to Stones music or even in particular Stones from this time period think of the Emotional Rescue album first. From my observation - not too many. But your observations can be totally different, of course.

By all means, it's a matter of taste. And I don't have a problem with you finding the album mediocre.

But your argument with the 'brilliant' Some Girls-rockers vs the 'lightweight' ER-ones just doesn't hold water. Btw, they're all 'ridiculous' - only in a good way.

I struggle to see the musical genius of Respectable and Lies, but I love them just the same because of their sound and unpretentiousness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 17:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 4, 2020 17:48

My only issue with the 2015? Tour was that Emotinal Rescue could have use a lower bass sound - It as a great tour and all shows were in arenas- Caught them in Boston on a Friday Night. They were all business!!!, which is favorable in my opinion. No antics, Nothing much said by Jagger.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 4, 2020 18:36

Chris Fountain

thumbs up

Date: August 4, 2020 18:40

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

By all means, it's a matter of taste. And I don't have a problem with you finding the album mediocre.

But your argument with the 'brilliant' Some Girls-rockers vs the 'lightweight' ER-ones just doesn't hold water. Btw, they're all 'ridiculous' - only in a good way.

I struggle to see the musical genius of Respectable and Lies, but I love them just the same because of their sound and unpretentiousness.

That's a comparison I did not make. No, I meant the general impression of the album being lightweight compared to SG, of course fuelled by stuff like Indian Girl, Send It To Me, WTBG or the title track.

'Musical genius' - jeeez, that's a category that probably not even Satisfaction fits in exactly, but it's genius nonetheless.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2020 19:02

Chris Fountain
My only issue with the 2015? Tour was that Emotinal Rescue could have use a lower bass sound - It as a great tour and all shows were in arenas- Caught them in Boston on a Friday Night. They were all business!!!, which is favorable in my opinion. No antics, Nothing much said by Jagger.

I believe this was the 2013 tour Chris where ER was played often, and all shows were in arenas....and Mick Taylor...
My only problem with Emotional Rescue was that it was part of the setlists at all - it was silly and annoying, and yes the bass was WAY to loud.
I felt the same way when Mixed Emotions was part of the Desert Trip wkd. 1 setlist - silly and annoying, and probably the low point of both weekends (along w/their misguided cover of the Beatles' Come Together).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 19:03 by Hairball.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 4, 2020 20:04

I rank Emotional very high in my top 50 of favourite Stones albums, so a Super Deluxe reissue would be highly appreciated.

www.rsundercover.eu

Date: August 4, 2020 20:16

Hairball
Chris Fountain

I believe this was the 2013 tour Chris where ER was played often, and all shows were in arenas....and Mick Taylor...
My only problem with Emotional Rescue was that it was part of the setlists at all - it was silly and annoying, and yes the bass was WAY to loud.
I felt the same way when Mixed Emotions was part of the Desert Trip wkd. 1 setlist - silly and annoying, and probably the low point of both weekends (along w/their misguided cover of the Beatles' Come Together).

This is a great assessment - "Come Together" is awful. Folks liked it any way. I think their best work is Ballad of John and Yoko, Lady Madonna, And I love her, also All my Loving.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2020 20:33

I think you misundertood as the original Come Together by the Beatles is fantastic imo, while the Stones version at Desert Trip was a mess and they completely destroyed it.

Date: August 4, 2020 20:44

All I gotta say is I am God*amn thankful that Taylor ain't runnin' Eagle Rock cause then we would been cheated on BA 1998 5th night on DVD!!! "You're too cool, or too hot, I don't know which!

ON WITH THE SHOW! Stones is CROTCH PLUS HEAD music. PERIOD.

AMENsmileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 20:45 by MadMax.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: August 4, 2020 21:51

Who cares for a deluxe release of ER when they missed the opportunity to do so with Beggars Banquet and Let it bleed.

ER would have made a great EP at best.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: August 4, 2020 22:18

Britney
I rank Emotional very high in my top 50 of favourite Stones albums, so a Super Deluxe reissue would be highly appreciated.

Agreed. Though I would easily put it high up in my top 40 favorite Rolling Stones records. smiling smiley

Date: August 4, 2020 23:07

ChrisL
Britney

Agreed. Though I would easily put it high up in my top 40 favorite Rolling Stones records. smiling smiley

I would also put this in my top 40 favorite Rolling Stones records.

Date: August 4, 2020 23:37

georgemcdonnell314
ChrisL
Britney

I would also put this in my top 40 favorite Rolling Stones records.

They haven't even released 30 studio albums so far.

Date: August 5, 2020 01:14

A case of brilliant humour there winking smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 5, 2020 01:14

Yeah so definately in the top 30.

> they missed the opportunity to do so with Beggars Banquet and Let it bleed.

But that was an entirely different "they", wasn't it?

jb

Date: August 5, 2020 03:37

Top 50, 40, 30 within a couple of hours - I see it's storming up the charts!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home