Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick and Joe Satriani
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 02:37

I listened to one of the shows again from Micks Solo 1988 tours and what strikes me is how disappointing Satriani ‘s playing is.As one of the great guitarists of his time his playing is not great nor magical. But I can see where these tours were the template for the Steel Wheels tour

Mick and Joe Satriani
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 02:46

I just listened to one of Jagger’s 1988 solo tour shows for the first time in years and what strikes me is how disappointing Joe Satriani’s playing is .As one of the greatest guitarists of his time he adds little to these songs.His playing is not what I’d expect from him. I can see that those 1988 tours were the template for the Steel Wheels tour

Re: Mick and Joe Satriani
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2020 03:45

It's difficult to listen to any of that Jagger '88 live solo crap for a variety of reasons - Satriani being only one of many problems.

Can't say I'm much of a fan of Satriani no matter what he plays though. I actually bought his Surfing With the Alien in '87 when he was the hot/new sensation guitar wiz,
and was amazed at the virtuosity, but that sensation wore off quickly when it all started to sound the same - kind of boring, and there were quite a few others that were like that.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 08:29

Satch is an awesome guitarist, he taught Steve Vai and Kirk Hammett from Metallica. Problem is, he doesn't fit that style of music. It would be no different if Mick got Eddie Van Halen to play guitar on that tour.

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: July 29, 2020 11:09

Not a big fan of Satch myself too, but I appreciate his contribution to Deep Purple during their transition period in 1993/94. Also his penultimate LP "What Happens Next" is definitely worth checking - less guitar wizardry, more real playing.
His stint with Jagger definitely was a good career move, but all in all, it was only several live shows without really creative input from his side, so it's fairly forgettable.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 29, 2020 11:26

I followed Mick's solo tour around, and it was very interesting to see long-haired Mick with a hard rock band.
Rest in Peace Phil Ashley!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 29, 2020 13:06

Satch was mere window dressing for Mick in 1988 . Contrast that to his stint with Deep Purple and it's night and day . At the same time I have to respect him for knowing his boundries and not hogging up space showboating .

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 18:18

Surfing with the Alien was number one at the time or close to number one, while Primitive Cool was not riding that high on the charts. So you could argue that the real star was Satriani, not Brenda.
I wouldn't call his 1988 solo shows crap. That's a bit harsh. It was not something that people expected from him, perhaps.
Satriani is a skilled guitarist. I haven't listened to his playing with Mick's band closely, but as I recall it sounded alright.
Mick had a pretty good band at the time, anyway. Doug Wimbish, Bernard, Simon Phillips, Joe Satch...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 21:26

frenki09
Surfing with the Alien was number one at the time or close to number one, while Primitive Cool was not riding that high on the charts. So you could argue that the real star was Satriani, not Brenda.
I wouldn't call his 1988 solo shows crap. That's a bit harsh. It was not something that people expected from him, perhaps.
Satriani is a skilled guitarist. I haven't listened to his playing with Mick's band closely, but as I recall it sounded alright.
Mick had a pretty good band at the time, anyway. Doug Wimbish, Bernard, Simon Phillips, Joe Satch...

Simon Phillips, excellent drummer! Shortly after this tour, he would join The Who on their reunion tour in 89. Saw them in Vancouver shortly before seeing the Stones. I thought his drumming style was a bit more like Keith Moon's versus how Kenny Jones played the older songs.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 29, 2020 21:49

yes Satch is talented. But all I ever hear is an endless stream of babbling notes, Like a horde of bees. He was on of the only concerts I ever walked out of.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2166
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home