Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How much shit did The Stones get for releasing Disco songs?
Posted by: zeppo1 ()
Date: July 28, 2020 01:54

Dance Pt.1, Emotional Rescue, Miss You

When I was young, I fell into the whole "Disco Sucks!" thing, and would have to bend my mind into denial that these weren't disco songs. "Miss You can't be disco, it has a harmonica!" "Emotional Rescue...they're not serious you know.."

I loved those songs, then as I do now, but would qet queasy at the time denying The Stones would ever deign to stoop so low to a four on the floor.

I remember the whole burning record thing and the t-shirts -Did they get shit at the time from the press and fans for "going Disco"?

Re: How much shit did The Stones get for releasing Disco songs?
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 28, 2020 02:44

Not. Enough.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 28, 2020 03:15

I personally didnt view Miss You as disco. Other than the fact it was released on a "disco 12"". It had a solid beat and the extended version on the twelve was pretty special. So, aside from the medium, as on the LP, I kind of held it above that disco sh*t.

Then I moved to Jamaica and "Disco Single" took on a whole new meaning.

jb

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 28, 2020 04:01

zeppo1
Dance Pt.1, Emotional Rescue, Miss You

No "Hot Stuff?"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 28, 2020 04:06

Several million $$$, a new house, cars, trips around the world, pure coke, etc.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2020 04:40

The only song that fits in the "disco" category would probably be Emotional Rescue due to the lame bass line and the silly KC and the Sunshine Band falsetto.

All of the other so-called "disco" tunes by the Stones weren't really disco, just as the so-called "punk" tunes by the Stones weren't really punk.

For the record, I like alot of true vintage disco...seriously...even some classic KC and the Sunshine Band tunes. I also love a lot of punk of course.
It's just that the Stones never did anything that could be truly categorized as either - maybe influenced, but that's about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-28 04:44 by Hairball.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 28, 2020 06:17

IMO the only real disco songs are Miss You and Hot Stuff. And they skate around the edge of disco.

As Hairball said, real disco is bloody awesome. You don't know what you are missing.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 28, 2020 06:43

By several accounts, Charlie was all for the disco(ish)tracks and enjoyed the clubs with Mick, which is a little surprising, but not really when you think about it.

“Disco was [in the air] when ‘Miss You’ came around,” Ron Wood would later say. “We didn’t get together and say, ‘Let’s make a disco song.’ It was a rhythm that was popular and so we made a song like that.” According to Charlie Watts, “Miss You” was “heavily influenced by going to the discos. You can hear it in a lot of those ‘four on the floor’ rhythms and Philadelphia-style drumming.” Declaring that “in the 1970s . . . there were some fantastic dance records out,” Watts recalls that “Mick and I used to go to discos a lot. A great way to hear a dance record is by listening to it in a dance hall or disco — I used to go to dance halls to look at the drummers when I was a kid.” [www.salon.com]

Miss You hit #1 in Aug of '78, and by then most of the anti-disco stuff had calmed due to some occasional great stuff coming out of it (as I recall). It made it difficult to not give in at least some to the genre. Which is kinda what the Stones did.. Great album overall. I would say Emotional Rescue is the song I most associate with being "disco" though.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 28, 2020 07:48

I saw a documentary on DeeDee Schnyder and that "disco sucks" moment, and the whole movement seemed utterly pathetic - insecure and rather racist/homophobic.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 28, 2020 09:25

A few months ago a friend sent me links to a bunch of disco she thought was great.

After listening to some of it, it became obvious: disco really did suck.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2020 10:23

Did they get shit at the time from the press and fans for "going Disco"?

Miss You was a massive hit ... most were
moving ..jerkin' and walkin funky like to the groove of it ....

Cant recall any protest shit against it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 28, 2020 11:49

I'd say Too Much Blood deffo has a disco spin.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 28, 2020 13:13

Not half as much as Rod Stewart for Do Ya Think I'm Sexy: an awful aberration.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 28, 2020 13:18

In 1977-78 I was not a fan of disco at all; on the contrary I was a disco hater(lol). But Miss YOU took me by surprise because it was so good to ear it on the radio each time , wherever and whenever it was. So my guess is that the shit they must have gotten must have quickly turned into a liking of that song by lot of people. In 1978, the stones fans with long hair and nostalgic of 1968-72 must have been pissed off and must have argued that the Stones had sold out, so giving them shit. But in 1978 during the US tour, the stadiums were packed(90000). So more love than shit in the end.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-29 16:03 by rollmops.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 28, 2020 13:22

I loved them and still do ! At the time I remembered thinking about them as being so tongue in cheek as almost a parody of actual disco music . Yet at the same time the Glimmer Twins ( probably more Mick than Keith right ) were knocking them out of the park just as good as any other artist or band and could probably hold there own against all of the contemporary Disco music of the time . I know some Stones fans were aghast at the sacrilege of the covenant being broken from a proper rock and roll band being so steeped in the 12 bar blues as there rock hard foundation , but if you look at a lot of there recorded output it was always about "fun" music and "party" music . A good blend of variety is one of the measuring sticks truly of the Rolling Stones Genius !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 28, 2020 13:32

Mick attempted every current trend(still does), with a Stonesy spin which mostly worked. Funny I played Emotional Rescue from Hyde Park over the weekend, it’s absolutely fantastic, better than the underwhelming studio version.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 28, 2020 15:52

tomcasagranda

One of my favorites from Rod!

And openly inspired by Miss You

Phil Chen's bass line is a killer!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-28 15:54 by liddas.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 28, 2020 17:44

liddas
tomcasagranda

C

Well, in a way the Stones were a trend setter in rock acts making disco stuff: not just Rod's song, but, say, Blondie's "Heart of Glass", Kiss' "I Was Made For Loving You Baby", Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" - all of those relaesed after the heavy success of "Miss You", and actually each act making about their biggest hit single ever or by then... Surely there must've been a lot of rock 'purists' complaining, starting from a 'critical' or 'serious' rock press, but a hit is a hit...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-28 17:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2020 18:27

If one wants to go by the 4 on the floor bit then the Stones have A VAGILLION disco songs. Like Start Me Up...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 28, 2020 18:47

Doxa
liddas
tomcasagranda

C

Well, in a way the Stones were a trend setter in rock acts making disco stuff: not just Rod's song, but, say, Blondie's "Heart of Glass", Kiss' "I Was Made For Loving You Baby", Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" - all of those relaesed after the heavy success of "Miss You", and actually each act making about their biggest hit single ever or by then... Surely there must've been a lot of rock 'purists' complaining, starting from a 'critical' or 'serious' rock press, but a hit is a hit...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Rock purists - there are plenty of them here in Italy - are boring people that live boring lives that have nothing to do with rock and roll ...

C

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 28, 2020 19:00

liddas
Doxa
liddas
tomcasagranda

C

- Doxa

Rock purists - there are plenty of them here in Italy - are boring people that live boring lives that have nothing to do with rock and roll ...

C
Bravo !

Date: July 28, 2020 19:15

Wake up boys and girls! This song is about having a block party. It's just great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-28 19:28 by MileHigh.

Date: July 28, 2020 19:25

Did disco get experimental and venture into new places? Did they play it in the clubs? They sure did!

The very dramatic and funky and jazzy Magic Bird of Fire by The Salsoul Orchestra.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 28, 2020 19:43

peoplewitheyes
I saw a documentary on DeeDee Schnyder and that "disco sucks" moment, and the whole movement seemed utterly pathetic - insecure and rather racist/homophobic.

It was.

But it's Dee Snider from twisted sister.

Dee Dee Ramone

Rob Schneider

It was pathetic racist and homophobic

Date: July 28, 2020 19:46

liddas
tomcasagranda

C

I concur. "Jealous" from Tonight I'm Yours is even more like "Miss You". Even has a harmonica!

Just our supposedly "old" (in 1978/79/80) rocker friends trying to stay current and sell some records.

Less successful was the rap in "Anybody Seen My Baby". I like the song except that part.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 28, 2020 20:00

SomeTorontoGirl
Not. Enough.

Funny!

I too hated disco, but I loved the Stones more. We had a group of 4 of us from HS that all loved the Stones... and one of our friends was actually so pissed off about Emotional Rescue, that he forever hated the Stones after -- 100% gave them up, just like that! And he was a huge fan before this.

As a matter of fact, he still hated them even after Start Me Up/Tattoo You, he refused to go see them with us on the '81 tour. He just moved his fanaticism to Led Zeppelin.

One of the others from our group stopped listening to the Stones, and all music actually, sometime in the late 90s. Only 2 of us remain from that original group!

Date: July 28, 2020 20:37

Rokyfan
peoplewitheyes

It was.

But it's Dee Snider from twisted sister.

Dee Dee Ramone

Rob Schneider

It was pathetic racist and homophobic

I am (hopefully) none of those things, however, a lot of disco did, in fact, suck.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: July 28, 2020 20:38

I grew up in Detroit where every self-respecting rocker carried a "DREAD" card. "Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco." Some bagged on the Stones for it but the songs sold well and got a lot of airplay and the whole thing died out in a year or two. Go to YouTube and check out "Anti-disco night at Comiskey Park Steve Dahl" for a taste of the era.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 28, 2020 21:27

All of 'em great songs, what's not to like?!?confused smiley

Date: July 28, 2020 22:57

Some people are confusing funk with disco. Dance and Hot Stuff have nothing to do with disco, imo.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home