Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"My Own Private Brian (Jones) - great article with memories from Brian
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 27, 2020 10:15

Very interesting article that I don't remember being shared here.

MY OWN PRIVATE BRIAN (JONES)

Tosh Berman
JUNE 27, 2019

When Tosh Berman’s father, renowned Los Angeles artist Wallace Berman (who was among the figures featured on the cover of the Sgt. Pepper’s album), brought home friends, they weren’t the run of the mill kind. Among those who frequented the Berman household were Dennis Hopper, Allen Ginsberg, Diane di Prima, Robert Duncan, Michael McClure, Dean Stockwell, Russ Tamblyn, Toni Basil and Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. Thus, when he was a boy, Tosh got to know the mysterious co-founder of the Stones. 50 years after Brian Jones was found dead in the swimming pool at his UK estate, Tosh looks back on a man he remembers as having great warmth, charm, and a sense of magic.

Full article: [pleasekillme.com]

Re: "My Own Private Brian (Jones) - great article with memories from Brian
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 27, 2020 17:43

Nice article. Yet another angle ...
The Terry O' Neill story is nice too. But I don't get the "they didn't have a record contract" thing. At least not in combination with that colour shot. Where to find the onder shots?

Re: "My Own Private Brian (Jones) - great article with memories from Brian
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 27, 2020 18:26

What an interesting read. I was particularly struck by the following in the article: "Brian’s role in the Stones was not as a songwriter, although I suspect that he had come up with some melodies (such as “Ruby Tuesday”) for which he never got credit. More critically, he pulled the Stones into a place of exploration." When I go back and listen to albums/songs from the Brian era, there's a range of sounds that are missing in later albums which are, to my ears, the Rolling Stones style/sound, what the band became or thought they needed to sound like. Just listen to Aftermath and the range of music/sounds heard on it, the energy that flows through it. I think Exile is the last time the Stones artistically stretched as they once did, giving us a wide scope of sounds/songs to explore. Of course, this is all just one's person's opinion. BTW, thanks for the post Cristiano.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home