Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT RIP Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac co-founder
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 26, 2020 05:40

WorriedAboutYou
Man the greats really are are leaving us now, it really brings things into focus when you hear about such legends passing. Peter Green has always been this mythical, monolithic talent that shaped the sound of British rock music and influenced countless, endless bands in his wake. Peter was an exceptionally emotive, tasteful and distinctive player, his passing is a huge loss and I will miss his beautiful playing. RIP to a true legend of rock music.

Thank you for that post. That’s why I love this place.

Date: July 26, 2020 05:42

jbwelda
Then Play On and Kiln House were Fleetwood Mac at their finest, imo.

Peter Green, Danny Kirwin, Jeremy Spencer were a powerhouse, even though Green didn't play on Kiln House, it seemed like it contained his spirit.

I caught them before Then Play On came out, they were playing a lot of that material. I forget exactly when this was but at this little dive in Sacramento called The Sound Factory, a 4 band bill, "British invasion" I believe it was titled: Jethro Tull (right after releasing first album I think), Pink Floyd (immediately post-Sid Barrett), Fleetwood Mac and headlined by Savoy Brown.

What a line up and I was immediately most impressed with the guitar lineup of the Mac.

jb

Wow. I’d love to hear any details you remember.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 26, 2020 06:30

Well I was pretty young and in an altered state of mind, but I remember a few things. First off, I had never heard of Jethro Tull, or only slightly so, and I think they had just released their first album. (This is where things might fall apart if someone fact/date checks this. It was a long time ago.) I was pretty astounded by them and immediately became a fan, for four or five albums anyway.

I knew the singer for Pink Floyd had quit so I was interested in hearing what they sounded like without him. I kind of liked the short songs from their first album, songs with verses and chorus and stuff, so it was a shock to hear them playing for like 20 minutes at a time. But I remember I dug it and actually was kind of entranced (LSD entranced) by the big tall dude playing bass. I think I remember doing that "furry creatures in the cave" song (its been a long time since I reviewed their early works) and a lot of space age effects. Again, I was impressed.

Now what I may have forgot to mention was that while this was billed as a "British Invasion" show, it was more like a "British Blues Invasion". Because as "pop" as the first two acts became in time, at this point they were more or less blues bands, or blues based bands. And the next two bands reinforced that notion.

I really don't remember much specifically about Fleetwood Mac, but I had bought and dug their records, and knew they had gone through sort of a transformation from strictly blues and kind of British skiffle maybe into a more rock and roll band. I just remember I liked pretty much everything I heard from them that night, and they did some songs I had not heard, and then Oh Well and maybe even Green Manalishi. I couldn't swear to any of that, but those are my distant recollection.

Headlining and closing the show were Savoy Brown, whom I think had a big hit record at the time and were more of a blues purist band otherwise. I was a big fan of theirs at the time and I thought they were right up there with the others, although the band I left with the best impression of were Fleetwood Mac, and second probably the newcomer of the bunch, Jethro Tull.

I really wish I could remember more but I was 17 or 18 at the time, but I did already have a pretty good number of musical experiences, including getting busted for sneaking into Memorial Auditorium through a second story window to see the Who, and then my friend and I got away and into the Auditorium itself where we were safe.

Good times.

Here is a link to the Sacramento Rock and Roll Museum, my friend Dennis runs it. This link is to the Sound Factory page, he doesn't have much there, but you get some idea of the place. It was Sacramento's little Fillmore.

Sound Factory Sacramento

I looked around on the net and there isn't much out there to back up my story but I am sticking to it.

Here is a supposed archive of shows there but I suspect some are incorrect. Does not list the show I am speaking of, although I remember attending a number of these (Allmen Joy = early Allman Bros for instance and Kalidescope with David Lindley I remember very well him inviting anyone who wanted to go on tour with them to meet them at their bus!). Maybe I am conflating experiences but I dont think so because I have very vivid memories of the night. They *may* have moved the show to the Coconut Grove ballroom as they had to do that with a few shows I remember, because the police were all over the place. The Coconut Grove was a whole other trip too...

Sound Factory concert archive

(My link from last night didnt show up so I redid it today)

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-26 19:54 by jbwelda.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: July 26, 2020 13:40

Here's one of Peter Green's best songs, performed live by Fleetwood Mac in 1987:

Fleetwood Mac - I Loved Another Woman

To be fair though, this is clearly an elaboration of Howlin' Wolf's "Who's Been Talking" (as far as I know he got no credit).

Fleetwood Mac before and after the arrival of Buckingham and Nicks are like two different bands. The pure blues influence promoted by Green in the early records faded but a new sound and music genre quickly rose which made them even more creative, popular, original.

Peter Green was a founding member, a great musician and song writer, but I find the title "Father of Fleetwood Mac" oddly inappropriate.

R.I.P. Peter

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 26, 2020 15:42

Nobody seems to mention his avant-garde improvisational album, End of The Game; it's a gem.

Likewise, there's a preoccupation that he disappeared off the radar after Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On (1969-1970). That's totally untrue; he did some rather wonderful albums from 1979-1983, and then resumed with the Splinter Group in the late 90s. He still made some excellent music.

Date: July 26, 2020 16:19

tomcasagranda
Nobody seems to mention his avant-garde improvisational album, End of The Game; it's a gem.

Likewise, there's a preoccupation that he disappeared off the radar after Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On (1969-1970). That's totally untrue; he did some rather wonderful albums from 1979-1983, and then resumed with the Splinter Group in the late 90s. He still made some excellent music.

I have a great British Blues book that says he had a few weeks of recording sessions right after he quit the Mac where he played all the instruments. Unfortunately nothing was ever released.

Date: July 26, 2020 16:20

Cool stuff, jbwelda!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 26, 2020 19:48

tomcasagranda

Of course, and In The Skies is one of my all-time favourite albums.

Date: July 26, 2020 20:04

TravelinMan, I was thinking about this further last night and I believe i am starting to recall some things about the show. That John Mayall show listed in one of the links, April 6, 1969, I think that was the original "British Blues Invasion" but it was cancelled at the last moment. (Would Mick Taylor be in the bluesbreakers at that point?) You will see from the listing that both Savoy Brown and Jethro Tull had performed within a couple weeks of the date, and I think they were re-booked at the last moment along with Floyd and Mac (who might have also been in the area) for the show, which was only one night (instead of the usual two) and may have been relocated to the Coconut Grove as I mentioned. These promotors were linked in with Bill Graham in SF so they could book major acts on short notice sometimes, although at that point none of these bands were truly what you would call "major".

Note the archive is not sure about the Mayall show and doesn't list anything for the following day. I may be conflating all this in my increasingly poor memory but I do remember this show very vividly so I am pretty certain it happened as I related it. I also am remembering it may have been a daytime show, starting in the afternoon and getting out by about 10pm or so...very early for the venue, usually it let out at 2am, but the cops were on to the place and shutting it down pretty regularly or pulling their dance license at the last moment and forcing them to move over to the CGB, which was a Hispanic ghetto dance club with a dance floor suspended on springs. That place was outside city limits so the codes requiring permits for a dance in the city proper didn't apply.

Hope I die before I get old! Oops...too late for that!

jb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-27 00:43 by jbwelda.

Date: July 26, 2020 20:28

Off topic but you might also notice on that Sound Factory archive, Dec 6 & 7, 1968 (1 year before Altamont), a band called Kak performed. They were a great band from Davis CA, put out one killer album and single (Lemonade Kid...edit: not sure this song ever came out on single, I cannot find one on ebay at any rate) and then disappeared.

That album sells for a mint now I think, and I regret getting rid of it at some point.

Also, the band "The Glad" were the new incarnation of the New Breed, aka The Breed, from where Timothy Schmidt of the Eagles and Poco came. They were the big hit band from Sacramento that I may have mentioned here at some other time. Want Ad Reader was one of their hits, regionally at least. My friend's father George Shiro was their manager and producer, and they played all the teen age dances around here. By the time they were The Glad they were total hippies and very different from their Beach Boys/teen hearthrob like origins.

Re: Kak, looks like the LP got reissued at some point and i forgot Gary Yoder was in the band, later Blue Cheer.

jb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-27 00:35 by jbwelda.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 26, 2020 20:30

Thanks so much jbwelda for putting up your memories of what must have been a great night in Sacramento .

Great to read all about your experiences way back then.smileys with beer

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 26, 2020 20:54

Kingbeebuzz
Not sure who edited my post (the first post ) by adding a link to the BBC plus a picture plus adding to the title of my post.......but I wish to let that person know (whoever they are )......don’t change my posts, make your own post.

Nobody will be able to edit any posts on IORR, except for those who posted themselves, and the IORR Editor. If you read your own post then you will notice that it says "Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-25 19:24 by bv".

I am the editor of IORR, and your post was undocumented. I.e. you did not post any links to official sources related to the death. IORR is an editorial site, so any first post in a thread might be subject to change/refining by the editor. Nothing personal, it happens from time to time, simply in order to improve the quality of IORR, search wise, as all threads will live on for ages.

Bjornulf

Re: OT RIP Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac
Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: July 26, 2020 22:17

cà fait vraiment chier à la fin,tout ces génis qui sont remplacés par des merdes,ça me fait pleurer;je me demande si je préférerai partir avant Mick ou/et Keith ? ....

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 26, 2020 22:28

Did Peter or the band have any interaction with the Stones? I don't recall ever seeing pics of them together at any parties, backstage, etc.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 26, 2020 22:58

JMARCOU
cà fait vraiment chier à la fin,tout ces génis qui sont remplacés par des merdes,ça me fait pleurer;je me demande si je préférerai partir avant Mick ou/et Keith ? ....

Bah en France on a quand même "Bigflo & Oli" ou "Christine and the gouine" >grinning smiley<

RIP Peter and his infinite sustain...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-26 22:59 by dcba.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: July 26, 2020 23:24

I recall reading that Ronnie saw Peter at a Brit music award show a while back and he was happy to see him again after all those years.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 26, 2020 23:59

Peter Green influenced so many musicians -- even the Beatles. John Lennons "Sun King" on Abbey Road was his take on Albatross--
He even said on that track that the fabs were pretending to be Fleetwood Mac

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 27, 2020 14:04

This has to be on of my favorite cuts that typifies the genius of Peter Green's playing on Greenie of course https Jumping at Shadows ://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=160&v=riggNQUFM9o&feature=emb_logo , one more [www.youtube.com] A fool No More

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-27 14:06 by TheGreek.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: July 27, 2020 17:26

RIP Peter Green.
Fleetwood Mac were an incredible blues band, certainly better than The Stones.

Date: July 27, 2020 17:41

DGA35
Did Peter or the band have any interaction with the Stones? I don't recall ever seeing pics of them together at any parties, backstage, etc.

Keith played with Mick Fleetwood on the Jerry Lee Lewis tv-gig.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: July 28, 2020 02:29

"Y’know, there have been some great English blues bands in the 60s and 70s and some great singers. I loved Stevie Marriott; he was one I hoped would stick around for a while. What a great voice and guitar player. And a lot of other cats too like Jeremy Spencer and Peter Green and you’d wonder where they’d come from. These guys are playing the blues and they really are doing it.” - Keith Richards 2015

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 28, 2020 03:15

batcave
"Y’know, there have been some great English blues bands in the 60s and 70s and some great singers. I loved Stevie Marriott; he was one I hoped would stick around for a while. What a great voice and guitar player. And a lot of other cats too like Jeremy Spencer and Peter Green and you’d wonder where they’d come from. These guys are playing the blues and they really are doing it.” - Keith Richards 2015

Interesting to see him mention Jeremy. I've always liked this 5 piece of Mac but didn't realize till I'm revisiting it now how limited Spencer was. He literally did two things: the same Elmore James riff or 50s doo wop stuff. 1. It was very out of character with the rest of their catalogue, 2. its jarringly unoriginal when you stack it against Peter Green. I'd think. Again, nothing against Jeremy, and I guess I always just thought it was a more even work ethic. But it really seems like Peter was creating these masterpieces, and they had to get Danny, who in the end really blossomed on his own, to work with him, because Jeremy was essentially gonna do his own thing. By his own admission too. Not trying to take anything away from Jeremy, but I always saw he and Peter mentioned in the same breath and I'm realizing now most of what I assumed was Jeremy was actually Danny and Jeremy was just kinda there, even though he played those Elmore James songs great.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: July 28, 2020 04:09

RollingFreak

Interesting to see him mention Jeremy. I've always liked this 5 piece of Mac but didn't realize till I'm revisiting it now how limited Spencer was. He literally did two things: the same Elmore James riff or 50s doo wop stuff. 1. It was very out of character with the rest of their catalogue, 2. its jarringly unoriginal when you stack it against Peter Green. I'd think. Again, nothing against Jeremy, and I guess I always just thought it was a more even work ethic. But it really seems like Peter was creating these masterpieces, and they had to get Danny, who in the end really blossomed on his own, to work with him, because Jeremy was essentially gonna do his own thing. By his own admission too. Not trying to take anything away from Jeremy, but I always saw he and Peter mentioned in the same breath and I'm realizing now most of what I assumed was Jeremy was actually Danny and Jeremy was just kinda there, even though he played those Elmore James songs great.

That's all true, but then Jeremy pulls out something like Preachin' Blues by Son House on the BBC Sessions.

Preachin' Blues

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 28, 2020 04:27

DandelionPowderman
DGA35

Keith played with Mick Fleetwood on the Jerry Lee Lewis tv-gig.

I forgot about this. I actually taped it when it was on, Dick Clark was the host. I was thinking more back in the late 60s. Like did Peter ever meet Brian, or even did Syd Barrett or any other Floyd members meet any of them back in the late 60s?

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 28, 2020 09:17

RIP Peter Green.

At his best he was a beautiful guitar player, and it was such a shame that he lost the plot due to LSD.

I went to see him with his Splinter Group quite a few years back and it was tragic to see how his playing had deteriorated.

I'll give JM's "A Hard Road" & some Fleetwood Mac a good spin this week that's for sure.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: July 28, 2020 19:46

RIP Peter Green

One of the finest guitarists of his generation and founder of one of the greatest bands of the 60s. Easily up there with the best of them.
A truly sad loss. RIP.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home