Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Will the Stones ever tour Europe again?
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 24, 2020 16:11

TheflyingDutchman
stickyfingers101
TheflyingDutchman
The entire live music business is on its arse for years I'm afraid.

yup...which is why artists/venues etc. etc. BETTER start getting creative.

Drive In Shows are one way to do that....

The Stones don't need the money, so it doesn't matter to them at all...

I know, but these drive in shows and 30 people in a theatre, it looks so sad to me. Besides, musicians can hardly make a living this way.

if those 30 people are happy and the musicians are happy...that's what matters.

People trying to make other people happy with music is never "sad"...it's beautiful.

glass half-full or half-empty...that's the way I see it.

your point is valid about making a living...but, it's even harder to make a living as a musician with no gigs of any kind....

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 24, 2020 18:27

Erik_Snow
>>WHAT if everyone rushes the stage in their cars .....<<

Horrible scenario, but can easily be avoided by hiring some traffic policemen with them noisy whistles and old-fashioned british black policehats

I know where they can do such a show. Altamont Speedway grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 24, 2020 18:33

Short answer: No.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2020 21:59

Couldnt you just stretch that out into a lovely sentence ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 24, 2020 22:06

They have not performed their last live show yet. The next show is the best show, we just have to wait a bit to see them, and we probably have to travel a bit.

Bjornulf

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: July 25, 2020 00:01

To add to my earlier comment (#2, pg.1), some streamed shows would be something to look at in addition to the aforementioned.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 25, 2020 01:01

Erik_Snow

Horrible scenario, but can easily be avoided by hiring some traffic policemen with them noisy whistles and old-fashioned british black policehats

Hey better idea ... Stones and audience are all in Dodgem cars .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: July 25, 2020 23:46

video: [www.youtube.com] Time waits for no one. (except the stones!)

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 26, 2020 09:11

I sure hope so! However, their priority might be to makeup the cancelled
North American shows - then look at whatever comes next. I’m afraid, and I hope I’m wrong, that we will not see live shows (stadiums and arenas) until 2022. Meanwhile, birthdays are still continuing without delay or postponement.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 26, 2020 09:25

bv
They have not performed their last live show yet. The next show is the best show, we just have to wait a bit to see them, and we probably have to travel a bit.

I guess the traveling part will be the hardest part for most of us

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 26, 2020 16:35

Rockman
Erik_Snow

Hey better idea ... Stones and audience are all in Dodgem cars .....

"Dodgem???"

I thought the whole point wasn't to "dodgem" but rather to ram into everybody possible in the most violent way possible????

they're called "Bumper Cars" over here in the US....and I'm pretty sure they are mostly gone....whiplash lawsuits and what-not, I think...

we like to sue each other...what can ya do?

Bumper Cars/Dodgem Cars....man...those were awesome.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: July 26, 2020 16:54

Bumper cars are still around. That's an interesting pic!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 27, 2020 09:34

daspyknows
Erik_Snow

We also have a suitable field in Europe, space enough for plenty of vehicles, Kursk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-27 09:35 by Erik_Snow.

Re: will the Stones ever tour Europ again?
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 27, 2020 11:52

GasLightStreet
stone4ever
steffiestones
BEcause of their age I would rather think NO !

I tend to agree with you, they will however continue as long as Mick is able to perform, in light of his heart condition it would be best for Mick to slow down now and take it easy, for the guitarists it's completely different, they can play for as long as they live, as long as they can stand up, another 10 years is possible, but it's a completely different workout for the singer and drummer and I'm sure Mick and Charlie are about to call time on live tours.

Mick's heart condition was fixed. He's fine. Charlie... he's gotta be getting exhausted now. It would seem at some point very soon someone will have osteoporosis and won't be able to continue. If Charlie gets it it's over. Keith... he's already so damaged, what's a little more? It's very very unlikely they'll really do a 60 And Counting kind of thing. More like 60 And Done.

IF they get to play live again - at this point it seems very likely that there will be music in 2021 in Europe. I really don't see the Stones coming back to the US. But one never knows - with the NFL etc getting going things may be figured out. Who knows.

It doesn't work like that, replacement heart valves require a couple meditations to prevent blood clotting, these medications take a toll on the kidneys over time, it's not a case of a replacement valves being as good as your own, but Micks always in great shape and I'm sure he wants to tour one more time.

As for Charlie I think it's time he had a bit of help from a second drummer, you see that in many bands, maybe that wouldn't work with the Stones, who knows, but a 60th Anniversary tour would be an incredible accomplishment, it would blow my mind that's for sure.
With Keith and Ronnie sober and off the cigarettes it's possible, Keith's fingers are not getting any worse at this stage, so yeah a final farewell tour is possible.
Personally i don't think it will happen, not that they don't want to do it, it's just that the chances of all four of them being well in two years time is unlikely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-27 18:56 by stone4ever.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 27, 2020 16:38

A graceful bow-out would be to simply not tour any more. 2012 to 2019 was an amazing "final bow."

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 27, 2020 16:59

Erik_Snow
daspyknows
Erik_Snow

We also have a suitable field in Europe, space enough for plenty of vehicles, Kursk

grinning smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 28, 2020 13:25

slewan
Irix

Until real Tours are possible again, they could (if circumstances permitting) do a Club-Show like Fonda 2015, play some Rarities, film it and release it on DVD/BR/Digital ....

Well, doing indoors shows is not very wise. It's more safe or rather less unsafe to do outdoor shows in venues like Waldbühne in Berlin where social distancing is possible and the rest gets blown away by the wind

Just an idea - if they do a filmed Indoor/Club-Show like Fonda 2015 they could use an Air-Curtain which separates the air between the Stage and the Audience (the latter one is healthy/tested/invited) ....

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 29, 2020 18:59

I only hope the pandemic will be over soon and we'll get to see them here in old Europe outdoor and in old style in 2020.

d.f

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 19:15

MadMax
Erik_Snow
daspyknows
Erik_Snow

grinning smiley

I've been to some Car concerts this Summer and the problem is that as soon you leave your car you don't hear anything because the sound only comes through your Radio. But seriously....These concerts are fun but the Stones deserve something Else...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 30, 2020 04:14

Not sure if this article from last week has been posted anywhere yet (if so apologies), but this touring exec doesn't sound too optimistic about any shows for quite some time.
And while the article seems US focused, seems there's some relevance for everywhere.

Don’t Expect to See Concerts Before 2022, Top Touring Exec Marc Geiger Says

Marc Geiger, until recently the head of music at WME, and one of the founders of Lollapalooza, sounds like he’s not expecting to be attending any festivals in 2021.

Asked on “The Bob Lefsetz Podcast” when he expects concerts to return, Geiger said, “My guess is late ‘21, more likely ‘22.” And he told Lefsetz that the problem of insurance going forward is “a biggie” when it comes to reasons for that long a delay, although “there are probably 20.”

The music exec elaborated: “Look, the whole thing is a sh*t show… Whether it’s testing or it’s the government, it’s too infinite of a well to go down. But in my humble opinion, it’s going to be ‘22. It’s going to take that long before what I call the ‘germaphobia economy’ to be slowly killed off and be replaced by what I call the ‘claustrophobia economy,’ which is where everybody wants to go out and go back to dinner and have their life and go to festivals and go to shows. And my instinct is that’s just going to take a while because as you can see, these super-spreader events — sports, shows, festivals, anything, the classroom — ain’t going to do too well while the virus is this present.

“So my instinct is the world has a very long, forced timeout,” Geiger continued. “A lot of people see the positives in it, whether it’s climate, whether it’s pollution, whether it’s traffic, whether it’s nature, whether it’s animals, whether it’s our own beings and taking a pause. And I know it’s frustrating, maddening and economically destructive. But aahhh — this is bigger than us, and if you study history things like this have happened in history and been super-disruptive to normal society. So here’s a biggie for our lifetime.”

When Lefsetz, the industry blogger and podcaster, brought up the question of insurance, Geiger indicated having policies available for the future is a long way off for most promoters.

“There is no insurance against Covid currently offered… and even normal insurance policies are pretty scarce and hard to come by,” said Geiger. “The insurers are sitting on the sideline because there’s infinite liability. … ‘Hey I got Covid,’ this and that – how do you prove it, etc.? I think the biggest companies can maybe self-insure, and they can start. Everybody else has to wait till the insurance industry feels good. So that’s one of many, many roadblocks in the way of restarting this vibrant economy that got shut down. So there’s probably 20 (reasons)… Insurance is a biggie. And I don’t know when that comes back, either.”

When Lefsetz asked if drive-in concerts were a model for the future or gimmick, Geiger answered the latter. Asked to elaborate, he sighed and said, “Do I have to? Why is it a gimmick? Capacity is very small by the time you actually put the cars in. Pricing, with a disconnected experience, is high. The audio I don’t think can be very good yet in the car, but hey. These are temporary stopgap solutions… Garth did a very interesting thing basically as a pay-per-view right to other drive-ins… I think there’s a feeling that during what I call the germinology economy that almost anything (is appealing) if it’s the first time to get out of the house. So for me, it’s not really a great experience, to be honest. And the economics are broken, so let’s get real. People are doing things to do them, not to make a living, right?”

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 30, 2020 17:06

Here is my answer - [www.youtube.com] performed by the Rolling Stones ( of course ! )

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 31, 2020 12:33

Hairball
Not sure if this article from last week has been posted anywhere yet (if so apologies), but this touring exec doesn't sound too optimistic about any shows for quite some time.
And while the article seems US focused, seems there's some relevance for everywhere.

Marc Geiger, until recently the head of music at WME, and one of the founders of Lollapalooza, sounds like he’s not expecting to be attending any festivals in 2021.

Asked on “The Bob Lefsetz Podcast” when he expects concerts to return, Geiger said, “My guess is late ‘21, more likely ‘22.” And he told Lefsetz that the problem of insurance going forward is “a biggie” when it comes to reasons for that long a delay, although “there are probably 20.”

The music exec elaborated: “Look, the whole thing is a sh*t show… Whether it’s testing or it’s the government, it’s too infinite of a well to go down. But in my humble opinion, it’s going to be ‘22. It’s going to take that long before what I call the ‘germaphobia economy’ to be slowly killed off and be replaced by what I call the ‘claustrophobia economy,’ which is where everybody wants to go out and go back to dinner and have their life and go to festivals and go to shows. And my instinct is that’s just going to take a while because as you can see, these super-spreader events — sports, shows, festivals, anything, the classroom — ain’t going to do too well while the virus is this present.

“So my instinct is the world has a very long, forced timeout,” Geiger continued. “A lot of people see the positives in it, whether it’s climate, whether it’s pollution, whether it’s traffic, whether it’s nature, whether it’s animals, whether it’s our own beings and taking a pause. And I know it’s frustrating, maddening and economically destructive. But aahhh — this is bigger than us, and if you study history things like this have happened in history and been super-disruptive to normal society. So here’s a biggie for our lifetime.”

When Lefsetz, the industry blogger and podcaster, brought up the question of insurance, Geiger indicated having policies available for the future is a long way off for most promoters.

“There is no insurance against Covid currently offered… and even normal insurance policies are pretty scarce and hard to come by,” said Geiger. “The insurers are sitting on the sideline because there’s infinite liability. … ‘Hey I got Covid,’ this and that – how do you prove it, etc.? I think the biggest companies can maybe self-insure, and they can start. Everybody else has to wait till the insurance industry feels good. So that’s one of many, many roadblocks in the way of restarting this vibrant economy that got shut down. So there’s probably 20 (reasons)… Insurance is a biggie. And I don’t know when that comes back, either.”

When Lefsetz asked if drive-in concerts were a model for the future or gimmick, Geiger answered the latter. Asked to elaborate, he sighed and said, “Do I have to? Why is it a gimmick? Capacity is very small by the time you actually put the cars in. Pricing, with a disconnected experience, is high. The audio I don’t think can be very good yet in the car, but hey. These are temporary stopgap solutions… Garth did a very interesting thing basically as a pay-per-view right to other drive-ins… I think there’s a feeling that during what I call the germinology economy that almost anything (is appealing) if it’s the first time to get out of the house. So for me, it’s not really a great experience, to be honest. And the economics are broken, so let’s get real. People are doing things to do them, not to make a living, right?”

Hi Hairball, I saw the article at the time. I find it hard to disagree with anything he says. He sounds like a reasonable bloke with his head bolted on properly. Large scale stadium tours by the likes of the Stones, U2, Macca and Bon Jovi are probably off for a couple of years for insurance reasons alone. The insurance companies won't touch a tour of that nature unfortunately and you can't blame them. It's just too big a risk. And the Stones already had relatively expensive insurance anyway because of Ronnie & Mick's recent scares.

I can see small venue more informal gigs returning, with limited capacity and masks required by the audience. The big key is a reliable vaccine.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 31, 2020 13:27

grzegorz67
Hairball

I get exactly what you are saying , but the profit margin would be small and for the Stones probably not worth it as they have such a massive machine/apparatus and production . Due to the insurance I tend to think it will be 2022 before anything could happen and then age will be a factor as well . Not trying to be a bummer/naysayer as I have been proven wrong before and will probably be again . This is all speculative at this point until a vaccine happens .

Hi Hairball, I saw the article at the time. I find it hard to disagree with anything he says. He sounds like a reasonable bloke with his head bolted on properly. Large scale stadium tours by the likes of the Stones, U2, Macca and Bon Jovi are probably off for a couple of years for insurance reasons alone. The insurance companies won't touch a tour of that nature unfortunately and you can't blame them. It's just too big a risk. And the Stones already had relatively expensive insurance anyway because of Ronnie & Mick's recent scares.

I can see small venue more informal gigs returning, with limited capacity and masks required by the audience. The big key is a reliable vaccine.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 31, 2020 13:45

grzegorz67

I can see small venue more informal gigs returning, with limited capacity and masks required by the audience.

Yes, and maybe no masks - but a negative tested audience (up to 1000 people). A test should be valid for 48 hours according to experts.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home