Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Darryl Jones - Ten Albums
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: July 21, 2020 19:27

Darryl Jones lists the ten albums that most influenced his life: Darryl Jones - 10 albums

Re: Darryl Jones - Ten Albums
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 21, 2020 19:48

Some good choices there; glad he went for Mysterious Traveler by Weather Report rather than Heavy Weather.

The Jaco solo album is brilliant too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 21, 2020 20:16

Interesting there's no Rock and Roll albums on his list.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 21, 2020 21:17

Marvin Gaye - seals the deal !!!!

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 21, 2020 21:18

Top list , top choices thumbs up. I did see Darryl in a small club playing fusion jazz with Mike Stern on guitar and Keith Carlock on drums. Outstanding, not from this world. This is a list I expect from a musician like him.

Date: July 21, 2020 23:33

Hairball

Once we got the ten, he named a few rock albums, but he is naming primarily early influences. My list would be very similar to his, except with a Beatles record thrown in. Darryl is really more of a jazz/funk/blues guy. He just happens to play in The Stones.

Date: July 21, 2020 23:34

electricmud
Top list , top choices thumbs up. I did see Darryl in a small club playing fusion jazz with Mike Stern on guitar and Keith Carlock on drums. Outstanding, not from this world. This is a list I expect from a musician like him.

I saw him once in a small club here in Los Angeles, with the drummer from Living Color and a brilliant acoustic guitarist named Jean Paul Bourelly. It was like a jazz fusion supergroup.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 21, 2020 23:56

roller99
electricmud

I saw him once in a small club here in Los Angeles, with the drummer from Living Color and a brilliant acoustic guitarist named Jean Paul Bourelly. It was like a jazz fusion supergroup.

That´s his band Stone Raiders ( Darryl, Bourelly and Will Calhoun). I saw them in a Club in Berlin. They have a CD out Truth The Power. Last year when I saw Darryl with Mike Stern, he told me after the concert that he was planning a new CD with the Stone Raiders for autemn 2020. I have no idea if this will be released. The Stone Raiders were brilliant. thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 22, 2020 00:01

roller99
Hairball

Once we got the ten, he named a few rock albums, but he is naming primarily early influences. My list would be very similar to his, except with a Beatles record thrown in.
Darryl is really more of a jazz/funk/blues guy. He just happens to play in The Stones.

My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic as I think that fact is something most of us already knew.
Even Dylan said in reference to Darryl as a Rolling Stone member: "Without (Bill) they’re a funk band. They’ll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back.”

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 22, 2020 01:52

Hairball

Doubt there'd be any in Charlie's either!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 22, 2020 03:21

I might just check out a few of these.

I'm down with Bootsie already as a 70's teenager - The Rubberband Man even had a song written about him by The Spinners. Also, he does some interesting bass on "Big Enough".

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: July 22, 2020 22:30

Billie Holiday's Lady in Satin. Poignant magnificent last album. The man's a connoisseur with impeccable taste.

Date: July 22, 2020 23:46

Hairball
roller99
Hairball

Once we got the ten, he named a few rock albums, but he is naming primarily early influences. My list would be very similar to his, except with a Beatles record thrown in.
Darryl is really more of a jazz/funk/blues guy. He just happens to play in The Stones.

My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic as I think that fact is something most of us already knew.
Even Dylan said in reference to Darryl as a Rolling Stone member: "Without (Bill) they’re a funk band. They’ll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back.”

I don't take Dylan's comments on the Rolling Stones too serious.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 23, 2020 00:03

I've always thought that Dylan comment to be so weird - Bill is a way finkier player than Darryl. They sound so stodgy and leaden with him compared to bouncin' Bill.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 23, 2020 00:14

Mr Zimmermans only jealous ....
He'd love ta have The Stones backin him ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 23, 2020 00:34

Rockman
He'd love ta have The Stones backin him ....

He had Taylor, Richards and Wood. Bill and Charlie not yet.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:35

Good jazz selections. Just seeing Stanley Clarke as a choice reminds me that Darryl is not a rock and roll bassist. He's a noodler. A 70s jazz noodler that doesn't know how to hold the bottom down.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:38

peoplewitheyes
I've always thought that Dylan comment to be so weird - Bill is a way finkier player than Darryl. They sound so stodgy and leaden with him compared to bouncin' Bill.
Stodgy and especially leaden.He was the wrong choice.An Adam Clayton type player would have been great.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 23, 2020 04:51

Taylor1
peoplewitheyes
Stodgy and especially leaden.He was the wrong choice.An Adam Clayton type player would have been great.

Or Joey Spaminato.

Date: July 23, 2020 06:59

24FPS
Good jazz selections. Just seeing Stanley Clarke as a choice reminds me that Darryl is not a rock and roll bassist. He's a noodler. A 70s jazz noodler that doesn't know how to hold the bottom down.

Doesn't know? Yes, that's why he's held the job for 25 years. I'll be sure to forward your comments so they can get rid of him! Great call...

I think it was Buddy Rich who said, "If you don't have ability, you end up in a rock band."

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 24, 2020 14:07

I put it simply; Miles Davis didn't recruit any duds.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: July 24, 2020 15:07

roller99

I think it was Buddy Rich who said, "If you don't have ability, you end up in a rock band."

After he heard Billy Cobham I assume. . grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 24, 2020 17:37

Rockman
He'd love to have The Stones backin him ....

He has Charlie Sexton who's some kind of Swiss Army knife.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 24, 2020 23:10

I'm a couple of years older than Darryl Jones but I know the time frame that formed his sensibilities. I was in a band (and bands) in the 70s -- I was coming from Stones, Kinks, Velvet Underground (along with much else). My younger brother, the bass player, had all the solo albums by all the Weather Report bassists (there were several!). The guitar players were listening to Al Dimeola, John McLaughlin, Chick Corea...ai yi yi. Drove me bonkers. Not denying the immense talent -- just wasn't where I was coming from.

Of course we could all agree on Bootsy....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home