Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Can you remember the first time you heard the Stones?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 23, 2020 00:34

Conscious yes 1967, unconsciously probably....I don't think the music of the stones impressed me as a 13 years old or younger.....more a Beatle and Kinks tunes that impressed me I did like Itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini grinning smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 23, 2020 03:44

floodonthepage
No.

But my first records (cassettes) were 'Steel Wheels' and 'Still Life' and I went into 1989 with a vague/general knowledge of them (specifically 'Start Me Up') and Mick in his knee pads, tights, and Joe Namath jersey.

Actually, a Philadelphia Eagles jersey, but we all love Broadway Joe.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 05:48

Yep, so funny how your eyes play tricks on you. Forever I also thought it was a Namath jersey and then around 2010 when On Demand became part of your cable package I watched LSTNT in the free movie section and was like wait that is #21 not 12 and...it's an Eagles jersey not a Jets jersey.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 05:52

To answer the topic question though...my first interaction with the Stones goes back to '78 or '79 when I was 2/3 years old and was drawn to the Some Girls album and the fact you could move the faces. I proudly own that copy of my mom's today. I'd say the first Stones song I remember hearing was Get Off Of My Cloud on 45. We were a Stones family not a Beatles family.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 23, 2020 09:55

We were a Stones family not a Beatles family.

That's great .... have known three four
Beatles families over the years ... and they're always wimpy

ROCKMAN

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 23, 2020 10:23

Before 9 I canĀ“t remember.
But I can remember when I was 9 years old and got infected:
The band-introduction plus JJFlash on a Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out-tape - laying in my little camping tent with my taperecorder.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 23, 2020 11:23

Yes, consciously, August 1973 - Angie on TOTP.......(aged 13............although, later, after I'd heard GHS and Exile, I heard Honky Tonk Women and thought, hmmmmm, I've heard that before somewhere...............(On my older sister's radio probably.............

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 24, 2020 04:45

I first heard the Stones in the early sixties, and really was not that impressed. They sounded like a pretty good rock band but with a lot of rough edges. I preferred the Beatles, with the perfect harmonies and great production. When I was introduced to Sticky Fingers, especially Bitch, I was a fan right away, and all of a sudden it clicked for me. I have been a fan ever since.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: July 24, 2020 04:58

I was probably 4.5 yrs old. because I was aware of the Beatles too. I believe Satisfaction was what I heard 1st iirc.

I bought most of my vinyl b/w 80-84, I was aged 9-13 buying LPs. Then Vinyl was phased out & virtually replaced. I had cassettes before the vinyl though.

I do remember buying Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass). Though I wish I'd had the fish-eye lens cover, not the shoreline photo. Amazing 1st compilation from any band.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 24, 2020 06:03

I was 12 years old. My cousin's older brother handed us a copy of Through the Past Darkly Volume 2.

We put it on the turn table and lay down on the floor of the bedroom. As it started, the older cousin turned the volume up and left the room.

After I heard Jumping Jack Flash I was in. That was it. No more Grand Funk Railroad or even Steppenwolf. It was the Stones 100%.

Jumping Jack Flash was the greatest thing I had ever heard up until that moment. Of course there was SFM and HTW..they blew me away as well.

We later put on a copy of Satisfaction and I was gobsmacked. This &$*% band was it for me!

Then I learned they were on tour that summer (1972) but was too late to get tix. I would have to wait until 31 July, 1975 Greensboro, NC.

Still cannot get enough of this band.

To backtrack just a bit, I thought KR (on the album cover and sleeve) was the coolest cat I had ever seen...and still is!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 24, 2020 06:26

Riding in my Dad's black Buick Special. Listening to WKBW and WTSL of Buffalo. I remember hearing The Last Time. Yes it it effected this kids life at the time.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 24, 2020 17:40

Sometime way back in the day, the time of Heart of Stone and The Last Time, picked up on late night listening to A-M radio, I believe station WBZ out of Boston. They played the "English Invasion" songs before they hit most anywhere else. It was also the first station on which I heard The Beatles.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 24, 2020 18:12

1964, in Martinsville, Virginia, riding in the car with my dad. One of the local AM radio stations (either WMVA or WHEE) played "It's All Over Now" which had just been released as a single, and I was immediately hooked!

Went to the record store and bought that single as well as "Tell Me", which I had heard for the first time on TV (also the first time I ever saw the Stones).

The next single, "Time is On My Side,"didn't really hit me, but I was still one of the only kids in my neighborhood who knew who the Rolling Stones were.

Then, "Satisfaction" was released, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Posted by: legin ()
Date: July 24, 2020 20:45

I was 15 and it was Spring 1976...I regularly bought 'Sounds' music paper weekly and read with great interest Barbara Charone's ace review of Black And Blue...Bought the album and adored it...I've never looked back..what a wonderful journey it has been/IS!thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out...(But I do remember seeing the IORR music video on TOTP in '75).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-24 20:48 by legin.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 24, 2020 21:31

My brother had High Tides & Green Grass when it first came out

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home