Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Emmitt Rhodes
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 20, 2020 17:48

A mostly forgotten and overlooked singer/songwriter from back in the 1970s. His first album is a pop music gem. Here's some links - one regarding him and the other his first album of utoob.

[bestclassicbands.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: RIP Emmitt Rhodes
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 20, 2020 18:00

Yes, too sad. He was very beatlesque, but it’s on a level and in a quality that can stand on its own. He was great.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 20, 2020 18:32

Both "Live" and "You're a Very Lovely Woman by The Merry-Go-Round received a ton of airplay on AM hit radio in L.A. Both songs were classics.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Sadly, they never got programmed on the KRTH oldies station rotation, and so mostly faded from memory.

I don't know how it came up, but about 20 years ago a co-worker told me that he was a boy he knew Rhodes, just around the time The Merry-Go-Round hit big. Rhodes' mother was his baby sitter, and when The Merry-Go-Round were on the Lloyd Thaxton show--a local version of American Bandstand hosted by an L.A. DJ, Rhodes got a bunch of Thaxton show t-shirts and gave them to all the neighborhood kids.

I met a guy who knew Emitt, and played music with him. He said that he could be briefly seen in a documentary about him that made the rounds locally a couple years back.

He had the talent and the looks. He should have been a huge star, but he had some problems. He never moved out of his parent's neighborhood.

RIP

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-01 16:50 by loog droog.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 20, 2020 22:00

I remember him, even bought his album but I always felt he deliberately capitalized on looking like Paul....and the production of his music was purposely " Beatleque". Not original enough, IMO. Especially " She's Such A Beauty", could have come right off the White Album.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 1, 2020 16:48

Great article on Emitt.

[www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 1, 2020 18:23

Thank you for the post loog droog. What a sweet story. It captures something about Emmitt, but also about us, how the music of our youth can take us back to who and what we were at a point in time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home