Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

50 & Counting - first London show
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 20, 2020 13:12

I rediscovered this video clip, where I get my moment of fame and am briefly interviewed about the band on the night of the first 50th anniversary show.

I have played around with it a bit and plonked it up on my YouTube work channel as a bit of light relief.

[youtu.be]

God Speed the Rolling Stones!

Re: 50 & Counting - first London show
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 20, 2020 15:47

A very nice video, congratulations to you sir!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 20, 2020 16:04

thumbs down

Date: July 20, 2020 19:06

Cheers windmelody and NICOS ;-)

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 21, 2020 11:31

windmelody
A very nice video, congratulations to you sir!

I second that! It's also very good to remember those great days in London.

Date: July 21, 2020 15:25

Agreed - I never thought we were going to get a tour in 2012.

For a while after A Bigger Bang I feared it was all over, especially after witnessing the last show of that tour in London when family & friends etc all seemed to pop up on stage and Mick thanked the crowd for their support over the years...

Luckily, more good times were in store.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 21, 2020 15:27

Cool, tomcat2006 - what memories! That show was something else. By some tremendous fluke, I won two pit tickets and at that time no one knew what they were. I couldn't believe it when I found out on the night! That win spoiled me forever - nothing less has ever sufficed since. I will never forget the utter thrill of the moment when Mick came out in that jacket and hat singing I Wanna Be Your Man. I feature in the clip as one of those excited people on the rail taking photos. That audience clip was on the news and the next day I had people ringing me to say they'd seen me on the TV! My 15-nanoseconds of fame lol...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 21, 2020 16:41

Remember the Go-Rilla?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 21, 2020 18:38

tomcat2006
I rediscovered this video clip, where I get my moment of fame and am briefly interviewed about the band on the night of the first 50th anniversary show.

I have played around with it a bit and plonked it up on my YouTube work channel as a bit of light relief.

[youtu.be]

God Speed the Rolling Stones!

Thanks tomcat2006!
I was there with my son and this clip caused my mind to float back to that very special day. All memories came back in an instant. While I was sort of nailed close to the stage inside the tongue pit, my son walked back a couple of meters to see a man from his generation, Bob Geldof, swinging on the music. Bill and Mick T's présence made it all perfect. A true highlight in my "Stones career" cool smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 21, 2020 19:19

Decided to travel to that show ticketless and at the last minute. Glad I did even though I missed the first 4 songs.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: July 22, 2020 05:30

I went to both those shows. Met a lady from Germany before the first show and had a beer with her, she said she worked in the duty free area of Berlin Airport, and had an early morning flight booked the next day. After the gig she tracked me down at the after party show that came with my ticket, stuck her tongue down my throat, and then she was gone.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 22, 2020 08:52

Thanks for posting that, tomcat2006, great memories of such an exciting night--never thought I'd be seeing them live again. Flew in from the US and back the next day, feeling sick as a dog, and didn't care!

Date: July 22, 2020 15:19

Some things are worth the money - I’ve never been disappointed from a Stones show. And a good part of it is all the people you meet. I saw them at London Stadium about 2 years ago and got so caught up having a beer with a great couple I met who were over from NY that we missed the start of the show - though as soon as I realised the boys were slashing their way thru SFM I made my excuses pretty fast to get down as near as I could to the stage.

But for me on that London 2012 night getting the chance to see them play MR with Mick Taylor was something I never expected to see - Heaven.

Date: July 23, 2020 10:47

I think I was way more excited to see them with MT than with Bill actually. I'd seen MT in a solo show at Under the Bridge. He can lift them to a whole other level and it's great that he seems to be so close to his successor Ronnie.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 13:02

tomcat2006
I think I was way more excited to see them with MT than with Bill actually. I'd seen MT in a solo show at Under the Bridge. He can lift them to a whole other level and it's great that he seems to be so close to his successor Ronnie.

I understand you feelings. Mick's solos have more direct impact, but here we talk about a reunion as part of a unique 50st Anniversary.
Us oldies have lived with The Rolling Stones of which Bill was a integral part for about 30 years. His bass playing (among some other instruments) was an essential part of the "note" of the band. Mick T. on the other hand had a bombshell effect on the new image of the band. Historically, with 5 years only a short time, he gave the band a beautiful different colour from the one that Brian gave is his highlight years.
With Ronnie they are "the real rocking and rolling Rolling Stones" ...
smileys with beer

Date: July 24, 2020 12:30

Don't get me wrong, grorgie48, I'm not demeaning Bill in any way. Love the guy and they have definitely lost something* without him, even though they still put on a great show. It's just that MT can sometimes be almost transcendental with his playing.

*e.g. listen to Starf&cker on the mid-70s live releases from the Vaults

Date: October 26, 2020 15:10

PS: Strange how the video came about - I saw on a fan board that the Stones wanted volunteers to film snippets about why they re so great etc so I emailed in and went along for my 2 minutes of filming somewhere in Soho (London), I think it was. This was just before the 2012 comeback shows and was going to be part of the pre-show fan video segments/ build-up at the concerts.

Anyway, my snippet wasn't used but I did get an invite off the back of it to be interviewed by the German TV show, which was unexpected and great fun.

An odd post-script is that a friend was watching one of the US concerts online and emailed me a blink-and-you-miss-it snippet of the pre-show fan video footage.... and there I am! So I never got to see myself on the big screen but one way or other I did make it ;-)

Peace

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 26, 2020 15:38

That's great Tomcat! I was myself interviewed by danish television in the Copenhagen Main Railway station in 2006 the day before the Horsens show. They asked me to sing Satisfaction while going down the escalators leading to the trains. I refused to sing Satisfaction as I thought it too obvious so I asked them if I could sing Brown Sugar instead which they gladly accepted. Then in the hotel the same evening I saw the interview and my "performance" but as I'm not danish I haven't been able to get it in my possesion. Copenhagen is such a lucky ground for me, meeting Keith in 2007, getting Charlie's setlist signed by the man himself and getting interviewed by a stunning beautiful journalist in their tabloid Ekstra Bladet.

Date: October 26, 2020 16:59

Nice story, MadMax! My brother used to live in Copenhagen and said it's a great Stones city. I can't believe you got a signed set list from Charlie - that's so
cool!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 26, 2020 17:02

tomcat2006
Nice story, MadMax! My brother used to live in Copenhagen and said it's a great Stones city. I can't believe you got a signed set list from Charlie - that's so
cool!

Cheers mate! It's on youtube, I am the guy with the brown barnet a la Keef and the tibethan prayer flag as my scarf. Charlie signs the setlist on the backside of the car:

[www.youtube.com]

smileys with beer

Date: October 26, 2020 17:05

There was quite a bit of fun going on on ukrainian tv pre-show, too. Gazza might have a link to the clip grinning smiley

Date: October 26, 2020 17:46

Nice clip - Ronnie there as well, I see!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home