Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

25 year anniversary - The Rolling Stones play Brixton Academy
Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: July 19, 2020 09:52

19 July 1995 - 25 years ago today i attended this mega gig.
THE ROLLING STONES at Brixton Academy to just 5000 loyal fans.
Me and a workmate took the morning off work the day before the show to queue up for two hours at Virgin Megastore to pay £25 for our prized wristbands.
A stunning 2 hours 10 mins show where we were just a few feet away from the stage.
It was a week after i had seen them with Black Crowes supporting at Wembley Stadium.
I have seen The Stones at least once on every tour since Earls Court 1975 , but this was their best for me.
---------------
Anyone else have memories of this show or their fave ever Stones show?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-19 09:54 by Ronnierocks.

Re: 25 year anniversary - The Rolling Stones play Brixton Academy
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: July 19, 2020 10:09

They were on fire in 1995, some sublime moments captured. Voodoo was such a confident Live experience by this point

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: July 19, 2020 10:56

Ronnierocks beat me to it... I was also going to start a thread in honor of this anniversary this morning.

The Brixton Academy concert was probably the brightest highlight of the amazing Voodoo Lounge Tour: a dream venue, a fan's dream setlist and a band in fantastic shape, in the midst of an incredible World Tour. So much talent and enthusiasm came together that hot July night in London. That concert will remain unforgotten, truly loved and passionately cherished - thank you Rolling Stones!

Some high quality videos were uploaded recently on youtube:

Dead Flowers - Brixton 1995
Love In Vain - Brixton 1995
Like A Rolling Stone - Brixton 1995
Sweet Virginia - Brixton 1995

and there's more!

Full setlist here.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 19, 2020 11:07

Date: July 19, 2020 13:41

The gig was fantastic. They’ve cut it down on the DVD but the applause for Charlie went on for ever! Actually, it was more a chant than applause: “Char-lie, Char-lie, Char-lie...”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-19 19:33 by SonofHarlemShuffler.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: July 19, 2020 14:56

If there is one Stones gig that I wish I could have attended, then this is the one!

I'd only just gotten into the Stones the year before, when VL was released. My first ever Stones show was a few days before this, on July 11th at Wembley, and I simply didn't know this Brixton gig was happening.

They were truly firing on all cylinders at this point.

Wonderful stuff!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 19, 2020 15:30

One of the Top Ten shows since 1962. GREAT, PERFECT setlist! smileys with beer

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: July 19, 2020 16:41

The show was fantatstic.Thanks to the Rolling Stones for the box set Amsterdam/Paris/london ,but I think it's time to realise a 1995 stadium show.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 19, 2020 16:52

The recordings from this concert belong to their best live recordings ever, the whole band was in shape.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 19, 2020 20:03

I was gonna say I truly don't know what stops them from doing this kind of setlist every night, and then I realized I guess its rehearsal. Having said that, I'd pay just to see them do ramshackle versions of a great songs like this. It'd be even better if they were super tight, but I'd take it just seeming like a rehearsal session to them. We're all friends at this point, they can't lose their legacy and I truly think THAT would be worth what they charge. I'd also go so low as to pick a setlist like this, rehearse it, then play it every night. Less exciting, but still better than hearing the same old songs.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 19, 2020 21:11

I'd only got into them a year or two before, but in that time had become a superfan; already had 10-12 albums, videos, few Stones books. Saw them live at Wembley July 15th and 16th I think were the dates. Incredible!

VL was the new album the year I was buying an album a week for about 2 months and I loved it. Still do; a lot of material that has held up well 25 years later. That era and Stripped in 95 really had them cool again - they were very well known among friends and Love is Strong and Like a Rolling Stone were tracks a lot of friends knew and grooved to.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: July 19, 2020 21:54

Just watched this again yesterday, completely coincidentally. They were a hell of a live band from ‘95-‘99.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home