Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Buffalo Springfield Reunion 2012
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 19, 2020 01:35

Stumbled onto this- anyone at IORR see one of these Buffalo Springfield reunion shows? They sounded great here, camera angle not withstanding- pity Neil Young shut it down...

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Buffalo Springfield Reunion 2012
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 19, 2020 05:02

I saw one of the Buffalo Springfield shows at the Fox Theatre in Oakland.....it was fantastic!

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: July 19, 2020 05:25

It was 2011, not 2012, but I went to one of the shows at the Wiltern Theatre in L.A.
I thought it was great!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 19, 2020 07:09

Saw them in 2010 at both shows of the two day Bridge School benefit shows Neil and Pegi used to put on annually.
Great lineup, great shows.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 19, 2020 17:40

When Neil is involved, typically something is gonna be good. Or at least its gonna have that ENERGY behind it, which this had. He's not doing it to make a buck. Its because, that morning, he felt like being in Buffalo Springfield lol. Yes, its sad he couldn't have stuck with it longer cause those were great shows but its honestly what you run with Neil Young stuff. Take it as it comes and be thankful when its done. In the end, similar to Mick Taylor returning to the Stones, it didn't have to happen at all. And there's enough of a precedent here that when Neil Young is doing something and you wanna see it, you better go early cause it might not be there if you wait. Part of what makes it exciting honestly is probably that he's so into then because you know he won't be in 2 months. He's giving the energy then and not saving any or forcing it. Thats why the shows are good.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 19, 2020 17:55

"...but its honestly what you run with Neil Young stuff. Take it as it comes and be thankful when its done."

Keywords regarding going to any Neil Young concert. I remember the Greendale tour when he presented what was a stage show about the album and town of Greendale and its inhabitants. Many in the audience were perplexed as to what was going on. They wanted familiar songs. For me and friends who were there, it was cool because we'd learned that when you went to see Neil, you rode his train for the time you were there.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 19, 2020 18:04

dmay
"...but its honestly what you run with Neil Young stuff. Take it as it comes and be thankful when its done."

Keywords regarding going to any Neil Young concert. I remember the Greendale tour when he presented what was a stage show about the album and town of Greendale and its inhabitants. Many in the audience were perplexed as to what was going on. They wanted familiar songs. For me and friends who were there, it was cool because we'd learned that when you went to see Neil, you rode his train for the time you were there.

My dad learned harsh lessons in seeing Lou Reed that way too. The shows weren't great in the moment, or they were expecting something else, but then in retrospect, and actually said by Lou at most of those shows, "I wanted to do something you haven't seen 100 times before." I understand being frustrated in the moment. I probably would be too if I saw Lou once and it was more akin to Magic and Loss instead of Rock and Roll Animal or Animal Serenade, but thats just what happens with some of these artists. You take a shot, and in the end its why you love them. And usually in retrospect, even if its not what you wanted at the time, you can find an appreciation for the show later. The artist wasn't wrong, it just wasn't what YOU expected. Greendale is a great example. And for every Greendale, there's a show where Neil gave the person going EXACTLY what they wanted and its the best show ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-19 18:05 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 20, 2020 05:33

I wonder if any of those scant concerts were filmed professionally? That would make a great DVD release.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 20, 2020 18:04

Really cool footage of rehearsal for aborted 20th anniversary reunion....with original bassist Bruce Palmer! Everyone looking young and match fit.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-20 18:07 by roryfaninva.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 20, 2020 19:31

I saw them back in the day. Let me tell you, nothing like their albums. Sounded pretty thin actually. Them and the Byrds...well the Byrds especially couldn't even really play their instruments and it was only the travelling dance troupe that followed them around that gained them an audience. Zito and the freaks...I think that was their name. Hollywood hippies and Zappa crazy people. The Byrds sounded nothing like their albums...the albums were way produced and session players did most of the playing.

jb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home