Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Critically Maligned LPs
Date: July 19, 2020 14:45

RisingStone
Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
It sold in tons. But the negative responses from both music journalism and general public that greeted this album are legendary.
Back in the day, most of the criticisms were seemingly pointed at The Crunge, Dancing Days and D’yer Mak’er, the ‘lightweight threesome’. However, beneath the superficiality of these often daft-sounding tracks — along with the album closer, The Ocean — therein lies an interesting attempt of intricate, odd rhythm patterns, which makes HOTH the most experimental work of their entire catalogue.

Their best album, imo.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: July 20, 2020 06:59

Magical Mystery Tour

Their Sa*anic Majesties Request.

It's Only Rock'N Roll.

Metamorphosis (leftovers 64-74)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 20, 2020 22:06

KevinM
Magical Mystery Tour

It's Only Rock'N Roll.

The first two deservedly so. Regardless of a couple good songs, the couple of good songs can't save or make the album. IORR on the other hand... no where near as bad as TSMR.

Metamorphosis is the absolute oddest compilation of the Stones and it's the worst. As much as I like the BEGGARS and BLEED leftovers, they can't save the release.

Date: August 18, 2020 08:59

GasLightStreet
KevinM
Magical Mystery Tour

It's Only Rock'N Roll.

The first two deservedly so. Regardless of a couple good songs, the couple of good songs can't save or make the album. IORR on the other hand... no where near as bad as TSMR.

Metamorphosis is the absolute oddest compilation of the Stones and it's the worst. As much as I like the BEGGARS and BLEED leftovers, they can't save the release.

I have to respectfully disagree on both accounts. TSMR is one of my favorite Stones albums, but I can understand why some/many dislike it.

Metamorphosis may be odd, but consider it covered 10 yrs. of leftovers & had 3 very underrated classic (imo): Out Of Time, I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys & Sleepy City. All 3 had that Phil Spector wall of sound feel to them. + Heart Of Stone (Alt.Vs. iirc), Memo From Turner, Family & a few others. It's also in contention for Top LP Cover.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-18 09:56 by KevinM.

Date: August 18, 2020 09:04

DandelionPowderman
RisingStone
It sold in tons. But the negative responses from both music journalism and general public that greeted this album are legendary.
Back in the day, most of the criticisms were seemingly pointed at The Crunge, Dancing Days and D’yer Mak’er, the ‘lightweight threesome’. However, beneath the superficiality of these often daft-sounding tracks — along with the album closer, The Ocean — therein lies an interesting attempt of intricate, odd rhythm patterns, which makes HOTH the most experimental work of their entire catalogue.

Their best album, imo.

It's tied with LZ 1 for best single album, though I don't care for 'No Quarter & The Crunge'. Physical Graffiti was 2LP otherwise it'd be a 3-way tie.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 18, 2020 09:53

RisingStone
Bob Dylan - At Budokan
Largely disparaged, dismissed or ignored by critics and Dylan enthusiasts alike over the years as his “Vegas” album. I feel there is rich musicality in the kaleidoscopic arrangement adopted for reinventing the material when it comes to the performances recorded and heard on this album. FYI see the customer reviews on amazon.co.uk — most of the voices are surprisingly positive.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

It's a shame that they did not release a 'bootleg series" covering the 1978 World Tour with new live material. In europe, Dylan's concerts were even stronger than in Japan, think only of Paris, Blackbushe Aerodrome, and Nuremberg. I was at this last concert which was memorable for the fact that Dylan performed at a spopt where Adolf @#$%& had Held his 'Reichsparteitag', and Dylan and his band gave a flawless performance, as can be heard on Youtube. If rhey still have soundboard tapes it would be great to release those despite the bootlegs.

On the later American leg of the World Tour the performances IMO get looser, and Dylan's singing is not as good anymore. But as a countrepart to the 1974 US tour with the Band, the 1978 material Shows how creative and imaginative Dylan's arrangements were with that big band. Therefore, they are both worthwhile.

(Btw, it's like those versions of 'Minnight rambler' - I am glad that we have the early slow, blues-based Arrangements and the later wild Arrangements starting in 1972. I would not like to miss any of them.).

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 18, 2020 09:57

I Always prefered the UK Version BETWEEN THE BUTTONS over AFTERMATH. I just can't help it!

Date: August 18, 2020 10:16

saltoftheearth
I Always prefered the UK Version BETWEEN THE BUTTONS over AFTERMATH. I just can't help it!

Over UK or US Aftermath? winking smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 18, 2020 18:37

saltoftheearth
RisingStone
Bob Dylan - At Budokan
Largely disparaged, dismissed or ignored by critics and Dylan enthusiasts alike over the years as his “Vegas” album. I feel there is rich musicality in the kaleidoscopic arrangement adopted for reinventing the material when it comes to the performances recorded and heard on this album. FYI see the customer reviews on amazon.co.uk — most of the voices are surprisingly positive.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

It's a shame that they did not release a 'bootleg series" covering the 1978 World Tour with new live material. In europe, Dylan's concerts were even stronger than in Japan, think only of Paris, Blackbushe Aerodrome, and Nuremberg. I was at this last concert which was memorable for the fact that Dylan performed at a spopt where Adolf @#$%& had Held his 'Reichsparteitag', and Dylan and his band gave a flawless performance, as can be heard on Youtube. If rhey still have soundboard tapes it would be great to release those despite the bootlegs.

On the later American leg of the World Tour the performances IMO get looser, and Dylan's singing is not as good anymore. But as a countrepart to the 1974 US tour with the Band, the 1978 material Shows how creative and imaginative Dylan's arrangements were with that big band. Therefore, they are both worthwhile.

(Btw, it's like those versions of 'Minnight rambler' - I am glad that we have the early slow, blues-based Arrangements and the later wild Arrangements starting in 1972. I would not like to miss any of them.).

I attended the Matsushita Denki Taiikukan (“gymnasium” in Japanese — the venue holds about 6-7,000 spectators), February 25, 1978, the second night of his three consecutive Osaka shows, and felt the performance both powerful and convincing. One unforgettable moment is that he delivered an apparently unrehearsed, off-the-cuff rendition of One Too Many Mornings to a request from the floor, which ended up as the only performance of the song on the 1978 world tour.

It is generally agreed that Dylan and the band’s performances were better in Australia, Europe and the U.S. than in Japan where the tour started. Which does not necessarily mean the shows over there were bad. I always feel they have been unfairly bashed as an eyewitness who was there.

FYI: sometime after At Budokan was released, I read a memoir by someone who was among the Sony production team of the live album, published in a Japanese music magazine. According to the article, Dylan considered recording some of the Earls Court shows (or actually had them recorded — can’t remember) for a possible release instead of the Budokan shows, but declined the idea on the basis that the Japanese shows and the recordings were good enough. That may serve as a revelation for those who undervalue this leg of the tour and the album from it.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 18, 2020 19:02

A few great albums that fared well with the critics but had luke-warm or poor sales:

The Who-Sell Out

The Kinks-Arthur (Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire)

The Kinks-Muswell Hillbillies

As far as albums that were not so favorably received at their debuts that have been rehabilitated, King Crimson’s “Lizard” comes to mind.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 18, 2020 19:07

I like the Dylan Budokan album a lot. When first released, I honestly just didn't get it. Now it makes sense to me. I like it when Bob plays around with the arrangements. Songs seem fresh when they aren't embalmed.

[www.gocomics.com]

Date: August 18, 2020 19:19

I think we can all agree that Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music remains practically unlistenable.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 18, 2020 19:22

DandelionPowderman
RisingStone

Their best album, imo.

thumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 19, 2020 02:11

bowies berlin trilogy of albums was panned too, but became classics as time passed.

Date: August 19, 2020 08:03

Javadave
A few great albums that fared well with the critics but had luke-warm or poor sales:

The Who-Sell Out

The Kinks-Arthur (Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire)

The Kinks-Muswell Hillbillies

As far as albums that were not so favorably received at their debuts that have been rehabilitated, King Crimson’s “Lizard” comes to mind.

@Javadave

Check out the 95 & 09 Reissues including Bonus CDs if you haven't already. The Who were huge by 65/early 66 but didn't really "break through" the stratosphere, imo, until Tommy amongst most fans of the group. Their 1st 4 US albums were very good, but Tommy put them in the same arena as The Beatles & The Stones, albeit 3rd. Also check out The High Numbers (The Who before they were The Who, July-Oct '64)...'' & 'Ooh Poo Pa Doo'

The High Numbers - Ooh Poo Pah Doo / I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying

The Who Sell Out - Track Listing + Bonus CDs

Lastly, check out Anyone For Tennis, an unreleased Who album & Lifehouse Studio Sessions '71.

Agreed with the Kinks albums...I sampled each studio album, track by track, & my Kinks library has ~80+ songs & I'm only through '72's Everybody's in Show-Biz LP. '64-'72 was arguably their best work, with some decent stuff '73-'84ish. Mid 80's Come Dancing was their last great hit. To me Ray Davies has a top 10 voice in R&R.

Date: August 19, 2020 08:09

buttons67
bowies berlin trilogy of albums was panned too, but became classics as time passed.

David Bowie 1978 05 30 Musikladen

Bowie was "On" here, unlike some of his live albums...Adrian Belew on guitar was killing it!

Date: August 19, 2020 16:31

The Kinks albums “Something Else” and “The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society” suffered similar fates, critical acclaim and abysmal sales. Those boys couldn’t catch a break, but their catalogue has aged wonderfully and their reputation has deservedly grown.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 19, 2020 19:04

Javadave
The Kinks albums “Something Else” and “The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society” suffered similar fates, critical acclaim and abysmal sales. Those boys couldn’t catch a break, but their catalogue has aged wonderfully and their reputation has deservedly grown.

I’ve raised this point before: The Kinks registered hit after hit in the U.K. charts, then suddenly plummeted. They developed a slighter larger following stateside in the mid-to-late 70’s, but aside from Come Dancing, they barely chatted in the U.K. after the Lola and Apeman singles.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 19, 2020 20:16

Maybe I'm the only one in the world, but my most-played Leonard Cohen album is Death Of A Ladies Man. I love the ghost-vocals of Leonard there, as well as the lyrics and Phil Spectors' work.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2020 12:15

In the German Edition of the 'Rolling Stone', September 2020 (pg. 50-61), there's another article about 50 underrated Albums.

Here's the Reader's Poll of 50 underrated Albums:

Cat Stevens - „New Masters“
The Beatles - „Beatles For Sale“
The Doors - „Morrison Hotel“
The Monkees - „The Monkees Present“
The Rolling Stones - „Their Satanic Majesties Request“
Jimi Hendrix - „Band Of Gypsys“
James Brown - „Hot Pants“
Simon Dupree & The Big Sound - „Without Reservations“
Bob Dylan - „Dylan“
Aretha Franklin - „Hey Now Hey“
Hall & Oates - „Whole Oats“
10CC - „Deceptive Bends“
Leonard Cohen - „Death Of A Ladies’ Man“
Flo & Eddie - „The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie“
Pink Floyd - „Animals“
Alice Coltrane - „Radha-Krsna Nama Sankirtana“
Mother Earth - „... Presents Tracy Nelson Country“
Steve Forbert - „Alive On Arrival“
Santana - „Marathon“
Lee Clayton - „Naked Child“
Nine Days’ Wonder - „Sonnet To Billy Frost“
Stevie Wonder - „Journey Through 'The Secret Life of Plants'“
The Knack - „Round Trip“
Grateful Dead - „Shakedown Street“
Johnny Cash - „The Baron“
Warren Zevon - „The Envoy“
Jackson Browne - „Lawyers in Love“
Depeche Mode - „Some Great Reward“
The Kinks - „Think Visual“
Elvis Costello - „Goodbye Cruel World“
Kraftwerk - „Electric Café“
Fehlfarben - „33 Tage in Ketten“
The Fall - „I Am Kurious Oranj“
Tears For Fears - „The Seeds of Love“
Pixies - „Trompe Le Monde“
XTC - „Nonsuch“
David Bowie - „Outside“
Willie Nelson - „Spirit“
John Parish & PJ Harvey - „Dance Hall at Louse Point“
ELO - „Zoom“
Peter Gabriel - „Up“
George Michael - „Patience“
Madonna - „Hard Candy“
The Human League - „Romantic?“
Lou Reed & Metallica - „Lulu“
Travis - „12 Memories“
Brian Wilson - „That Lucky Old Sun“
Blur - „Think Tank“
The Black Keys - „Turn Blue“
Magnetic Fields - „50 Song Memoir“

Date: September 6, 2020 19:51

There are far too many albums anyway. So it's a good thing that average albums are "underrated". Even if they sometimes are interesting, they are simply not good enough. Better concentrate on the real good albums, encourage people to record such albums and to listen to such albums.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: September 16, 2020 18:46

I have always loved David Bowie's Young Americans album. This is often overlooked when his great run of 1970's albums are talked about. Dismissed as 'plastic soul' at the time of release, I would argue that the songs Win and Somebody Up There Likes Me are up there with his best. Strangely, I have never been a fan of his first US No.1, Fame.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 17, 2020 10:02

Nothing the Stones have done since the period from BB through Exile is good enough for some folks.

They can never win.

[They don't give Albert Einstein stick for not coming up with anything quite as good as his Theory of Relativity winking smiley]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home