Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
45 Years Ago Tonight -- My First Stones Show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 17, 2020 08:01

I posted this many years ago here, but given tonight is the 45th anniversary, thought I would post it again...

THE FIRST TIME I GOT STONED

Wednesday, July 16, 1975, during TOTA '75, second of 2 shows, Cow Palace, San Francisco (or is it South San Francisco or which municipality, Sweet?)

god, there is too much to tell about this EVENT.

Waited all night in line, passed right next to Bill Graham on my way in outside the place making sure everything was going smoothly

ran like hell, got into the equivalent of about 4th row right side of stage ("festival seating" = FOS)

drunken/high woman liked me, holding onto me whilst singing "Short and Curlies" rather loudly

some hippie passing around small pipe with what was either hash or hash-oil laced pot which I partook in (had smoked pot a few times but nothing had ever happened)

The Meters open

after a few songs, the floor starts going uphill and downhill, I'm thinking "what's going on?", then slowly realize "I'm stoned"

Soon, I cannot understand anything anyone is saying to me, have to tell my friend to watch out for me when the Stones come on

long break

lights go down

wild cheering, fanfare for the common man trumpets, strobe lights

suddenly, wiry figures start to climb onto stage being hit and framed by the strobe lights, you recognize the rooster haircuts and others and begin to realize these people u have worshipped for years are here

loud, opening chords of Honky Tonk Women, going on and on, drawn out

suddenly, white lights hit the far, back right point of the lotus

a figure in white laying on his side rolls like a log down the uptilted lotus petal

he jumps up, it's Mick Jagger, and the place explodes

he sings "I met a gin-soaked bar room queen in Memphis," prances down towards the front of the stage wearing an American Indian upright feather headdress, mocking, preening, teasing, coming right up to us

can remember a few songs, esp All Down the Line and singing 'wont you be my little ba-by, for a while', great line

getting worse and worse, sit down on floor, open my eyes -- all is black, I start to panic

then slowly realize i am on floor as a little light streams down in between peoples legs

i cant continue this, i must get out, get some fresh air, i stand up

slowly, ever so slowly, make my way out, must have been stumblin and falling as people were saying "take it easy man"

get out to the exit doors and breathe in blessed fresh cold Bay Area cool summer night time air, try to calm down in the hallways

finally, begin to regain my right mind, go back in

i watch the final i dont know how many songs from the lower stands/tier, one that stands out in my mind is Midnight Rambler and Mick with the belt

remorse is already setting in, you goddam fool, you waited so long for this and you had to fu*ck it up

the remorse reaches a crescendo as, during Street Fighting Man, last song i think, Mick throws a bucket of water onto the crowd . . . RIGHT where I had been standing

for 3 years after this, I had dreams that I would go to a Stones concert and they wouldnt show up, or some other band played, recurrent nightmares of this ilk

1978 -- Anaheim -- get in with the surge of the crowd being literally lifted off my feet and carried several feet

to the front row up against the wooden barrier, hot as hell, during the show a woman completely bares her upside to Mick whilst he reaches down to his crotch and makes bug eyes at her

last song, Mick brings out a water hose this time and sprays us all -- BAPTISM AND REDEMPTION

no more nightmares

I ruined my first Stones concert by getting stoned out of my mind, but still remember parts of the show (not all of which are herein recited), one of my old teachers Br. Thomas Dodd, F.S.C. laughed and said "you got stoned at the Stones"

But at this late date, no more remorse after many years of that, I think now "what a helluva ride and helluva story."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-17 08:18 by timbernardis.

Re: 45 Years Ago Tonight -- My First Stones Show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco
Date: July 17, 2020 08:05

I've also got fotos from both shows that a friend and I took here
[iorr.org]

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-17 08:16 by timbernardis.

Re: 45 Years Ago Tonight -- My First Stones Show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 17, 2020 12:27

Fantastic to read your recollections, and those photos are amazing. Thanks!

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: July 17, 2020 12:32

Great story. Thanks.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 17, 2020 12:36

Great and interesting story Plexi!!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 17, 2020 14:33

Wow, such a cool story, plexi, thank you! And with just a few sentences you captured the thrill of seeing the Stones in 1975. It is always such a thrill seeing them - especially for the first time (mine was 20 years later) - but what it had been in those golden years seeing them in their dangerous prime... In 1975 they were alraedy living legends with an incredible past but still going so strong... The 1975 show was such an event, with lotus stage, Jagger's over-the-top costumes and moves, the band decadent as hell... mockered sometimes/afterwards for too much circus and all, but shit that surely was a helluva experience seeing them then! Stoned or not..grinning smiley

And then, in 1978, they were totally different, punk-influenced, bare to the bones...

Wonderful times, I assume...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-17 14:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 17, 2020 18:57

Liked your post.

My first show was also 45 years ago, on July 9th at the Forum. Like you, I was insanely close. This was in a ticketed seat that I bought at the box office the day ticets went on sale.

It was said then that the Stones took measures to insure that tickets got in the hands of fans that year. Looking back, the idea that me, a 16-year old kid with no influence,celebrity or connections, who lived in Southeast L.A. with barely enough money to afford the face value was able to score that seat is miraculous.

But I was so into the Stones... it just burned in me back then, 24/7. If anybody had the passion and gave back the energy to the band that night, it was me.

Your description of the show opening was spot-on. The fanfare, the lights, and then the ROLLING STONES!!!

I remember watching Mick swing on a rope over the first few rows during "Outta Space" thinking, "How many more years will they go on?" Note that this was five years after the Beatles broke up--which at the time seemed like a lifetime before. Compared to their former rivals, the Stones were already in extra innings.

I couldn't conceive of the Stones being around longer than another five more years. What would music, or life even be like in 1980? And it was impossible to imagine them still performing in the 2000's. Or myself as a old man.

Congratulations to all of us who were there...and for being here now!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 17, 2020 19:26

timbernardis,

loog droog,

Thank You very much for sharing such great memories!!!

Kind regards and greetings from Portugal

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 17, 2020 20:21

I just loved your story. You described the experience of seeing them accurately. I remember seeing them at Shea Stadium and I had also gotten myself into a "condition" pre-show. Pot is much stronger than when I was a kid in the 60s. Anyway, I was at a fabulous point when the boys finally came out. Living Colour was the opener.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 17, 2020 23:59

Great Story from a magic time in Stones History. Like the saying goes : If you can remember everything, you probably weren't really there.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 18, 2020 00:58

Great story, Tim - it conveys the vibe and spirit so perfectly!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 18, 2020 01:06

Don't blame the weed, if you were standing in line all night and then all day, you suffered from exhaustion. The weed probably helped but I hope you moved past that.

The Rolling Stones are one night; the herb is forever.

PS: missed that show because I was over in Hawaii but saw about every other bay area show from 69 on and earlier ones in Sacramento.

I think the Cow Palace (MOOOOO!) is in Brisbane.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 18, 2020 01:12

.....Oh dear Tim .....
If only youd have hung in there
till Mick's bucket of water hadda rained down on ya ... ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 18, 2020 01:26

Good for you! My first Stones concert was TOA 7/9/1975 at the LA Forum.It
was life changing.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 18, 2020 04:47

Sounds like my first Grateful Dead concert 1980 in Hartford Ct. Not long after saw them again and it also was redemption for me.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 18, 2020 09:57

BAPTISM AND REDEMPTION, what a hoot!

Wonder how many here received the water treatment?

I got mine at Wembley, 2003.

Date: July 18, 2020 22:56

peoplewitheyes
Fantastic to read your recollections, and those photos are amazing. Thanks!

They are, aren't they? Did you also see my miserable little fotos on the next page?

plexi

Date: July 18, 2020 23:13

Doxa
Wow, such a cool story, plexi, thank you! And with just a few sentences you captured the thrill of seeing the Stones in 1975. It is always such a thrill seeing them - especially for the first time (mine was 20 years later) - but what it had been in those golden years seeing them in their dangerous prime... In 1975 they were alraedy living legends with an incredible past but still going so strong... The 1975 show was such an event, with lotus stage, Jagger's over-the-top costumes and moves, the band decadent as hell... mockered sometimes/afterwards for too much circus and all, but shit that surely was a helluva experience seeing them then! Stoned or not..grinning smiley

And then, in 1978, they were totally different, punk-influenced, bare to the bones...

Wonderful times, I assume...

- Doxa

Hey Doxa, you said "seeing them in their dangerous prime." You know, you spoke of dangerous, reminds me that when we arrived the night before to wait all night in line, we arrived right when the first show on Tuesday was letting out and I saw a wide line of police with riot shields in the parking lot. It seemed to me that they must have been there because of the reputation of the Stones for riots breaking out at their concerts. And remember, this was only 6 years after Altamont which was also in the Bay Area. If you saw the article from the Colorado Springs Gazette last August about me and my Stones "career" which I posted here, the writer said "Bernardis started going to Stones concerts back when they were still dangerous." Here's the full article if you didn't see it before [gazette.com]

plexi

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-18 23:35 by timbernardis.

Date: July 18, 2020 23:20

loog droog
Liked your post.

My first show was also 45 years ago, on July 9th at the Forum. Like you, I was insanely close. This was in a ticketed seat that I bought at the box office the day ticets went on sale.

It was said then that the Stones took measures to insure that tickets got in the hands of fans that year. Looking back, the idea that me, a 16-year old kid with no influence,celebrity or connections, who lived in Southeast L.A. with barely enough money to afford the face value was able to score that seat is miraculous.

But I was so into the Stones... it just burned in me back then, 24/7. If anybody had the passion and gave back the energy to the band that night, it was me.

Your description of the show opening was spot-on. The fanfare, the lights, and then the ROLLING STONES!!!

I remember watching Mick swing on a rope over the first few rows during "Outta Space" thinking, "How many more years will they go on?" Note that this was five years after the Beatles broke up--which at the time seemed like a lifetime before. Compared to their former rivals, the Stones were already in extra innings.

I couldn't conceive of the Stones being around longer than another five more years. What would music, or life even be like in 1980? And it was impossible to imagine them still performing in the 2000's. Or myself as a old man.

Congratulations to all of us who were there...and for being here now!

You saw them exactly one week before I did. There were floor SEATS at the Forum? Not so at the Cow Palace. Wish I could have seen one of the Forum shows as well. You guys and MSG were the only shows that got the MOVING petal stage, as far as I know (someone correct me if I am wrong). At the Cow Palace, the stage was set in place, it was not folded up and opened at the beginning of the show.

plexi

Date: July 18, 2020 23:25

ryanpow
Great Story from a magic time in Stones History. Like the saying goes : If you can remember everything, you probably weren't really there.

Hey Ryanpow, We haven't had a BAPS meeting in a while (Bay Area Plexiglass Society for those who don't know). Well, somehow I was wiped out and still remember parts of the show and the experience. I guess you could say I MADE myself remember because I wanted to remember it. I guess continuing to think of it over the years has helped set the memories in "stone."

plexi

Date: July 18, 2020 23:26

Beast
Great story, Tim - it conveys the vibe and spirit so perfectly!

Thanks Sara! We haven't talked much since Chicago last year, we need to catch up!

plexi

Date: July 18, 2020 23:29

jbwelda
Don't blame the weed, if you were standing in line all night and then all day, you suffered from exhaustion. The weed probably helped but I hope you moved past that.

The Rolling Stones are one night; the herb is forever.

PS: missed that show because I was over in Hawaii but saw about every other bay area show from 69 on and earlier ones in Sacramento.

I think the Cow Palace (MOOOOO!) is in Brisbane.

jb

Are you from the Bay Area or Sactown? I am from Sactown but went to college in Berkeley. My brother saw the Keith electrocution show at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium AND was at Altamont.

The Cow Palace is actually just inside Daly City.

plexi

Date: July 18, 2020 23:30

Rockman
.....Oh dear Tim .....
If only youd have hung in there
till Mick's bucket of water hadda rained down on ya ... ...

yeah I know Rockee, don't remind me of an old bad memory!! kidding

plexi

Date: July 18, 2020 23:31

Midnight Toker
was life changing.

So you were at the same Forum show as Long Droog!! How cool is that?

plexi

Date: July 18, 2020 23:33

shattered
BAPTISM AND REDEMPTION, what a hoot!

Wonder how many here received the water treatment?

I got mine at Wembley, 2003.

yeah, isn't that phrase great?? If I do say so myself. And it's so CATHOLIC!! In which I was smothered in my youth.

plexi

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 19, 2020 01:30

timbernardis
Midnight Toker
was life changing.

So you were at the same Forum show as Long Droog!! How cool is that?

plexi

I think a lot of lives were changed that night!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 19, 2020 02:36

timbernardis, I have lived in the bay area and sacramento for a long time but am not really "from" here. I currently live in the delta near Walnut Grove. I went to most of the Memorial Auditorium shows but had just moved here from overseas late in 64. Went to Altamont too, hell everyone from around here either went or had some reason for not going to Altamont.

By the way, those guards at the Cow Palace were there to guard you from the neighbors. That was a rough hood in those days. Actually I think there was some element of Stones riot but it was not really likely. I also seem to recall that was a hot time for bay area revolutionaries who meant business and I think that had something to do with the heat being there in force.

I always hated that place, the name was apt, it was a big feedlot herd place normally. Saw the Dead's wall of sound system sound check there and a couple of other things but mostly avoided the place. I do remember going there for the teenage fair in about 1965 and seeing Stanley Mouse when he first moved out west. I knew him as a hot rod t shirt artist but now he was a long haired freak of the first magnitude.

And yes, Daly City.

Come out to the delta sometime, its a lot nicer than the city these days.

jb

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 19, 2020 06:08

Hi Plexi. Thanks for sharing your story - pretty wild. My first Stones show was
a bit of a fiasco also. This was on July 8th in 1978 at Soldier Field in Chicago.
My friend and I left early, must have been six in the morning, but had a flat tire
on the tollway. This would have been only a small delay but my spare tire was unusable. My friend went to get help, which was only a short distance away. Unfortunately he turned the wrong way and walked for miles. We finally made it
just after the first band started and ended up at the far end of the stadium.
As I remember the first band started around noon. Great show and a good story to
tell. Although not as good as your story - wow! By the way thanks for posting the
photos - some great shots. —Tom

Posted by: DeadHead4Ever ()
Date: July 19, 2020 08:26

The 15th was my first Stones show. Best $15 bucks I ever spent!

Date: July 20, 2020 18:00

jbwelda
timbernardis, I have lived in the bay area and sacramento for a long time but am not really "from" here. I currently live in the delta near Walnut Grove. I went to most of the Memorial Auditorium shows but had just moved here from overseas late in 64. Went to Altamont too, hell everyone from around here either went or had some reason for not going to Altamont.

By the way, those guards at the Cow Palace were there to guard you from the neighbors. That was a rough hood in those days. Actually I think there was some element of Stones riot but it was not really likely. I also seem to recall that was a hot time for bay area revolutionaries who meant business and I think that had something to do with the heat being there in force.

I always hated that place, the name was apt, it was a big feedlot herd place normally. Saw the Dead's wall of sound system sound check there and a couple of other things but mostly avoided the place. I do remember going there for the teenage fair in about 1965 and seeing Stanley Mouse when he first moved out west. I knew him as a hot rod t shirt artist but now he was a long haired freak of the first magnitude.

And yes, Daly City.

Come out to the delta sometime, its a lot nicer than the city these days.

jb

In Sacramento during the summer evenings when we had been roasting from the valley heat all day, quite often a "Delta Breeze" would come up and really cool us off.

As far as "the heat" (god, it's been years since I have heard that term but remember it well!) goes, yes, I know the neighborhood then and I think now is not the best, but when you see a phalanx of shield-bearing cops all in one wide line, maybe 10 to 20 of them, it left me with the distinct impression that they were there for reasons of crowd/riot control.

Was Stanley Mouse part of the Haight Ashbury scene?

plexi

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home