Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Opening Riff From Keith In A Long Time
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 14, 2020 20:09

I am referring to the opening notes and recurring theme in Criss Cross. It growls at you and tells you something wild will follow. I assume that is Keith playing the opening chords, not Mick Taylor.

Also, who is the pretty lady in the video ? Could she be a model or actress from
South America ? I know the Stones like to feature actresses or models from time to time in their videos. For instance, Kristen Stewart was in the video called Ride Em on Down.

Re: Best Opening Riff From Keith In A Long Time
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 14, 2020 20:36

Don't think it's an official video, just something someone put together, but what a gem this track is, i don't understand why the Stones don't do a double album of all the tracks they made that didn't make the final album cuts, or were just not quite finished.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 14, 2020 20:47

About the woman in the clip: [iorr.org]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 14, 2020 20:55

Rough Justice. Studio version

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 14, 2020 21:13

"best opening riff from Keith in a long time" .... that's because it's from 1972

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 14, 2020 22:17

Erik_Snow
"best opening riff from Keith in a long time" .... that's because it's from 1972

Not very unlike One More Shot, is it?

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: July 14, 2020 23:24

i go with - I'm going down (from metamorphosis)

Date: July 15, 2020 01:32

Can't you hear me knocking.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 15, 2020 01:54

Am I missing something here?

Date: July 15, 2020 01:59

audun-eg
Erik_Snow

How?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2020 01:59

I thought the opening riff of She Saw Me Coming was pretty damn good.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 15, 2020 02:33

I don't think the topic title is a question. smoking smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 15, 2020 02:34

The "Substantial Damage" opening riff is pretty inviting; the rest of the song makes you want to hang in there and rock out!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: July 15, 2020 02:40

DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
Erik_Snow

How?

Didn't catch that one either - just because it's a major followed by a sus4? It's still *very* unlike One More Shot

Date: July 15, 2020 02:51

...then one could also say Sympathy is not very unlike If You Can't Rock Me, as it's a E followed by D (SFTD) or D followed by a C (IFYCRM)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 03:45 by Erik_Snow.

Date: July 15, 2020 04:31

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
Erik_Snow

How?

Didn't catch that one either - just because it's a major followed by a sus4? It's still *very* unlike One More Shot

Just another key, and Keith doing the i I - IV in open G... Not that I think either is bad, but I think the outcome of Criss Cross is much better. And One More Shot could have been a classic if Mick Jagger bothered...

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 04:55 by audun-eg.

Date: July 15, 2020 05:21

Keith hammering fourths is classic, of course, but One More Shot - nice chime and clang - is just How I Wish slowed way down in the vein of Street Fighting Man, Highwire and You Shook Me All Night Long.

What's in Criss Cross is just the usual fourth riffing that is, of course, classic Keith.

Date: July 15, 2020 05:25

GasLightStreet
Keith hammering fourths is classic, of course, but One More Shot - nice chime and clang - is just How I Wish slowed way down in the vein of Street Fighting Man, Highwire and You Shook Me All Night Long.

What's in Criss Cross is just the usual fourth riffing that is, of course, classic Keith.

And it works! My point beeing that he did it on One More Shot, and if you try to imagine it without the lead vocals, it`s actually a great tune. Now, Criss Cross is great because Jagger apparently was into it. It`s very much about timing.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 05:32 by audun-eg.

Date: July 15, 2020 10:12

audun-eg
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
audun-eg
Erik_Snow

How?

Just another key, and Keith doing the i I - IV in open G... Not that I think either is bad, but I think the outcome of Criss Cross is much better. And One More Shot could have been a classic if Mick Jagger bothered...

It's not the same (the opening riff). It might be standard tuning, too.

It's not the regular sus.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 15, 2020 10:16

The song sounds like an embryonic version of Dance Little Sister.

Date: July 15, 2020 10:18

>>It might be standard tuning, too.

It's not the regular sus.<<

I did hear that too, I just had to simplify it as I didn't find the proper English words for it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 15, 2020 11:40

I find Criss Cross utterly boring....you really have to bring yourself to listening to it entirely, my mind always drifts away halfway through.

Mathijs

Date: July 15, 2020 11:45

Yep they should have stuck with the 1:58 version from that Japanese movie soundtrack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 11:48 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 15, 2020 17:31

I've only listened to it a handful of times but it seems a bit like doing Stones by the numbers to me... a bit pedestrian.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 15, 2020 23:46

Hate the video. Song so so. That’s why it wasn’t released in 73

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 16, 2020 13:20

This came to me this morning as I was getting ready for work - Before They Make Me Run -with Keith belting out those chords and notes which are as distinctive and yet quintessential Keith aka the Human Riff Master smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 16, 2020 18:43

Erik_Snow
Yep they should have stuck with the 1:58 version from that Japanese movie soundtrack

Has that ever been confirmed to be true, that it was released officially in Japan?

Mathijs

Date: July 16, 2020 18:48

Mathijs
Erik_Snow

Has that ever been confirmed to be true, that it was released officially in Japan?

Mathijs

I've only seen photos of the vinyl, so I can't confirm if it's really official or a pirate. And I can't recall what Dieter Hoffmann has written about it. I got it via bootlegs in the early 90s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-16 18:50 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 17, 2020 16:31

Mathijs
I find Criss Cross utterly boring....you really have to bring yourself to listening to it entirely, my mind always drifts away halfway through.

Mathijs

Try listening without watching the video. smileys with beer

Date: July 17, 2020 17:04

Erik_Snow
Mathijs
Erik_Snow

Mathijs

I've only seen photos of the vinyl, so I can't confirm if it's really official or a pirate. And I can't recall what Dieter Hoffmann has written about it. I got it via bootlegs in the early 90s.

Apparently METAMORPHOSES had a very short run, got pulled, edited more, and retitled WINDS OF CHANGE. If there was a soundtrack released from the original movie it's a mystery. The edited renamed reissue had different music and, although I've never seen anything saying it, it didn't include the Stones.

Sanrio, of Hello Kitty, in the 1970's began financing and releasing feature films. Their hoped flagship film in 1977 (produced in 70mm, one of few animated fims to do so) was their attempt at a modern-day Fantasia, based on the Roman and Greek poetry and stories and using contemporary music and artists. Joan Baez and The Rolling Stones were among the artist contributing music...

[overlookedtoon.tumblr.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1207
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home