Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Dylan/Richards/Wood-Live Aid
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 5, 2020 12:26

I've got a great book by Dylan Jones, the editor of GQ, on Live Aid.

I think most of the acts on both sides of the Atlantic were on coke during Live Aid, but at least Bob Dylan instigated Farm Aid by his remarks. Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp were paying attention, thankfully. For what it's worth, Bob at Farm Aid in 1985 was an awful lot better as he had a simpatico backing band in Tom Petty, The Heartbreakers, and the Queens of Rhythm.

The trouble with the Live Aid set, and Bob being backed by Keith and Ronnie, was that Keith and Ronnie weren't suitable for Dylan. In 1983/84 Mick Taylor was, with Colin Allen, Ian McLagen etc. However, the Infidels / Real Live sound was a lifetime away from what Dylan was doing in the studio at the time, which was Empire Burlesque and its awful 80s sheen. If ever there's an album hat deserves paring back, a la Naked Willie by Willie Nelson, or Never Let Me Down by Bowie, it's Empire Burlesque; a case of great songs, rubbish, or indecisive production. Bob's indecisiveness from Empire Burlesque, regrettably, extended to the stage with Live Aid, and the selection of Ronnie and Keith. At the time, he, Bob, was really directionless and this extended further into Knocked Out Loaded, Down In The Groove, and Dylan & The Dead.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: August 5, 2020 13:09

crholmstrom
Queen destroyed everybody that show. Just one of those things.

I have told numerous people this over the years post Live Aid ... anyone who had seen Queen perform live before Live Aid knew exactly what was coming. Absolutely fantastic live band with one of the greatest front men ever.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: August 8, 2020 18:46

I sure saw that. But they should have been introduced by the host who I believe Nicholson was for their act with respect.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 8, 2020 19:00

Their whole act was a mess. They weren't even on stage. And Wood and Richards played gooseberry. One clown was enough...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2020 19:49

Four Stone Walls
Doxa
slewan
someone (can't remember who) wrote in some book (can't remember which one) that their performance reminded everyone that rock music has its roots in bad behavior…

Haha... I think most of the people thought - for a good reason - that their performance was subpar, tasteless or whatever, but at the time I thought they were cool... A kinda anti-thesis - or even a middle-finger statement - to all the hype concerning the whole event. Surely it was done for a good cause - hats off to Bob Geldof - but it looked like that the superstars, giving one day of their charmed life, took it some kind of PR event to promote their career. That what young, cynical Doxa, still having a bit of punk attitude in his heart, at least thought at the time...grinning smiley

And what a thrill it was to notice that shit, after Mick and Tina having taken one's breath away, Keith and Ronnie were there with Bob... One of the best 'live' Rolling Stones moments during the 80's... there really wasn't that many... Mick with Tina, followed by Keith and Ronnie with Dylan...

It continued during the big ending with "We Are The World"... Mick and Tina somewhere there behind singing along, on camera just for a sec or two, but it was Keith who stole that show for me... During the song, he sat down on the PA monitor in the front of the stage (the one he probably didn't have any help during their set), with his back on cameras/audience, looking wasted... if memory serves he also pointed to Bob and Ronnie to sit down there as well, but they didn't... All this while the 'whole world' watching live... As world's biggest Keith Richards fan, I think that that was pure rock and roll, Keef just couldn't do no wrong for me...

Memories...

- Doxa

Well, we are the world is a pretty awful song etc.

But if Keith had no respect then he shouldn't have been there.

One UK music paper, reviewing the concert, had a photo of a hollow- cheeked starving Ethiopia boy next to one of a coke-riven face of Keith at that concert. No comment required.

Not moralising though. I was a mess that night - but not publicly.
Ok - am moralising! And if I'm d have been that famous I might have made a fool of myself publicly too.

He who has no sin throws the first, er, stone.

But please throw it at Mick. Yes, throw Keith at Mick.
that night.

He who lives in stone walls should not throw glass.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2020 19:52

The whole end of the show was embarrassing. I got up at 2 in the morning and watched the live UK feed then switched to Philadelphia....waiting with Dick Clark promising something out of this world.

Mick and Tina! Great! OK, didn't need to see Mick in the lime green leotard, but I quibble.

OK...something EVEN BIGGER coming?! DYLAN, KEITH AND RONNIE....OMG OMG OMG!

Wait...what is happening? What? What the hell is this crap?

Ah man!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home