Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dylan/Richards/Wood-Live Aid
Posted by: coatsey ()
Date: July 15, 2020 00:36

3.38 - love the way Dylan raises his eyebrows!

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: July 15, 2020 01:06

coatsey
cool. was starting to think nobody noticed that! funny stuff.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: July 15, 2020 03:14

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 15, 2020 06:52

Wow...they rehearsed that?

jb

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 15, 2020 12:47

At the time I can remember my disapointment for not having the Stones on stage as a band.

That said, it didn't spoil what we got instead: I loved both Mick&Tina's set and Bob Keith and Ronnie's set.

History has shown that some 35 years after Live Aid, nothing much has changed in Africa.

Yet, at least from a musical point of view, that concert must be the most incredible event in the history of pop music.

C

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 15, 2020 13:03

In Ronnie's biography, Ron describes the whole adventure about Keith and himself getting involved in that performance as back up musicians for Bob Dylan.

The rehearsals sound good.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: July 15, 2020 19:53

At point the conversation between the 3 comes to Ethopia; right of the bat Keith start a singing Careless Ethopians the Toots' musical nugget . Dylan does not seem to be familiar with Hibbert's band. Then the subject turns onto Mick Taylor. The 3 agree that Taylor is great but inconsistent. Keith says that Mick is a great accompagnist.
That recording is quite interesting to listen to.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 15, 2020 19:58

Produced by my friend Mike Cacia (RIP)

Really miss you, man.

jb

Date: July 15, 2020 20:18

jbwelda
Produced by my friend Mike Cacia (RIP)

Really miss you, man.

jb
Jbwelda: that tribute record to Toots is really really great. All the songs, arrangements and performances are amazing.
I listened to that CD endlessly went it was released.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2020 20:56

coatsey

HAHA! Nice catch!

Yeah - here, Keith - you've got a capo on the 48th fret, just... play a solo!

Brilliant mess. The beauty of it was it was so dirty it was a big 180 as possible from all the shiny music going on at that time. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA when Ronnie gave Bob his guitar... so damn funny.

Why was Bob sweating? Was that a serious question? Can one not hear the heat having it's way with the strings? It was the middle of July, right?

That might be a clue.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 15, 2020 21:20

Some substances causes sweating, that's why there were a lot more sweat artists in the 70s and 80s than after, not accusing anybody - could be just the weather as well...

When first seeing the Live Aid "eyebrow" moment sometime in the 90s, I presumed it was because of Keith, but when re-seeing it, Bob might be saying "this is hopeless, we can't hear ourselves" to Ron with his eyebrows, in which Ronnie replies "but at least we're not doing keyboards, duets or cheesy dancing like Mick" with his nose

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 21:21 by Erik_Snow.

Date: July 15, 2020 21:47

As I recall watching a majority of Live Aid most performers were sweating.

Why that was even brought up is stupefying.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 15, 2020 22:24

GasLightStreet
As I recall watching a majority of Live Aid most performers were sweating.

Why that was even brought up is stupefying.

That reaction is a bit strong. It wasn't a question, I just pointed out that he's sweating a lot because It's funny to me. It's not like he was running around on stage, and he wasn't really belting out that song.

I think Rockman has the best theory about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 22:33 by ryanpow.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 16, 2020 00:08

If I remember well, Dylan, Keith and Ron learned a whole set of songs and were ready to perform and than -literally- the last minute, just before they came on to perform, Dylan said he wanted to do a completely different set of songs, which weren't rehearsed at all. Is that true?

Date: July 16, 2020 01:01

Thank you KevinM for sharing this. It is very interesting from the perspective of a fan that notices the sounds of Keith's bracelet and ice cubes sharing on Voodoo Stew and Woodoo Brew.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 16, 2020 03:19

Queen destroyed everybody that show. Just one of those things.

Date: July 16, 2020 17:19

GJV
If I remember well, Dylan, Keith and Ron learned a whole set of songs and were ready to perform and than -literally- the last minute, just before they came on to perform, Dylan said he wanted to do a completely different set of songs, which weren't rehearsed at all. Is that true?

That sounds close. Or Bob changed the key. You'll notice Keith changes his capo from where it was earlier...

Date: July 16, 2020 17:34

GasLightStreet
GJV

That sounds close. Or Bob changed the key. You'll notice Keith changes his capo from where it was earlier...

Blowing In The Wind was BS, though, as the rehearsal was posted here in this thread.

Nice practice for Keith before working with Mr. Berry, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: August 3, 2020 00:17

Ron and Keith weren't even introduced by Jack Nicholson. Embarassing.

Date: August 3, 2020 20:49

Mariuana
Ron and Keith weren't even introduced by Jack Nicholson. Embarassing.

They were introduced by Bob.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: August 3, 2020 21:25

I was there and it was a very hot day. My mother had the television on all day because I was there. When she heard Jagger announced, she watched his performance. Her take was “he’s really ugly.” Then she watched Dylan/Keith/Ronnie and she asked me the next day what Dylan was dying of. She assumed he had some disease and that’s why he got such an ovation for a lackluster performance, with his “weak” voice. I had to explain that’s how he always is, not sick or dying. That’s his voice. She was quite surprised to hear he was healthy. I still laugh when I think about her reaction.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 3, 2020 21:33

harlem shuffle
Worst peformance in history ever,they can,t hardly play nothing
Can't no nothing hardly not never play neither

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: August 3, 2020 22:48

Here's Bob's explanation:

"It's difficult to play if you can't hear."

Bob Dylan on Live Aid sound problems

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-03 22:50 by GS1978.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 3, 2020 23:03

Doxa
slewan
someone (can't remember who) wrote in some book (can't remember which one) that their performance reminded everyone that rock music has its roots in bad behavior…

Haha... I think most of the people thought - for a good reason - that their performance was subpar, tasteless or whatever, but at the time I thought they were cool... A kinda anti-thesis - or even a middle-finger statement - to all the hype concerning the whole event. Surely it was done for a good cause - hats off to Bob Geldof - but it looked like that the superstars, giving one day of their charmed life, took it some kind of PR event to promote their career. That what young, cynical Doxa, still having a bit of punk attitude in his heart, at least thought at the time...grinning smiley

And what a thrill it was to notice that shit, after Mick and Tina having taken one's breath away, Keith and Ronnie were there with Bob... One of the best 'live' Rolling Stones moments during the 80's... there really wasn't that many... Mick with Tina, followed by Keith and Ronnie with Dylan...

It continued during the big ending with "We Are The World"... Mick and Tina somewhere there behind singing along, on camera just for a sec or two, but it was Keith who stole that show for me... During the song, he sat down on the PA monitor in the front of the stage (the one he probably didn't have any help during their set), with his back on cameras/audience, looking wasted... if memory serves he also pointed to Bob and Ronnie to sit down there as well, but they didn't... All this while the 'whole world' watching live... As world's biggest Keith Richards fan, I think that that was pure rock and roll, Keef just couldn't do no wrong for me...

Memories...

- Doxa

Well, we are the world is a pretty awful song etc.

But if Keith had no respect then he shouldn't have been there.

One UK music paper, reviewing the concert, had a photo of a hollow- cheeked starving Ethiopia boy next to one of a coke-riven face of Keith at that concert. No comment required.

Not moralising though. I was a mess that night - but not publicly.
Ok - am moralising! And if I'm d have been that famous I might have made a fool of myself publicly too.

He who has no sin throws the first, er, stone.

But please throw it at Mick. Yes, throw Keith at Mick.
that night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-03 23:46 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: August 3, 2020 23:57

wonderboy
This, along with Mick's performance, was the low point in Stones history, for me anyway. Lower even than Dirty Work. You knew the band was broken up, had no new material and was being embarrassed. It felt like the organizers were saying, 'Yeah, let's shoehorn these old guys into the show somewhere.'
Mick was doing his pop star shtick and what the hell was Keith doing backing up Bob Dylan. I realize Dylan is a legend, but 'these are the Stones, man'. And of course they were a mess. That might be part of Dylan's charm, but the Stones are professional. They are supposed to deliver the goods.
But watching this you realized they didn't anything to deliver.

Knebworth wasn't t very professional.

Or much o their '78 outing.

Much of their charm has become how erratic they can be.
Some ragged charm to the '81 to '82 shows too.

Dylan's '81 and '84 tours were super good and professional.
The latter one thanks to one Mick Taylor in fact.

How Bob needed him at Live Aid!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 01:43 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 4, 2020 00:00

I seem to remember an interview with Ronnie, where he tells how it was quite an improvised thing and they were all ompletely drunk or drugged.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 4, 2020 00:35

I wonder if Sir Michael was paid extra to nanny Keith just like Brian was paid extra for being the leader of the band in the mid sixties?

Date: August 4, 2020 01:50

I don't t understand, Stoneage, in a Live Aid context or what?

In response to someone above, yes, Queen were generally acknowledged as the hottest act that day.

For me the highpoint was Bowie doing heroes.

Actually enjoyed Madonna doing Holiday. Charming song in an innocent time for her - less muscular and strident.

Actually, the Who were great too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-04 02:14 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 4, 2020 02:55

For me the highpoint was Queen in England and Clapton in Philadelphia.

Keith said in an interview that Dylan rehearsed a completely different set to the songs he chose on the night, it completely through he and Ronnie, that's Bob i guess, anyhow i thought Dylan's voice was really good that night, but what chance did they have to shine on acoustic guitars after electric guitars had blasted out for the whole day and night, it was a crapshoot.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 5, 2020 05:57

"... that Dylan rehearsed a completely different set to the songs he chose on the night, ..."

That's what I read too, as the excuse. I thought it was Ronnie in his bio but Keith sounds as likely. That Ronnie had a problem with his guitar and monitor at some point is evident, Keith didn't seem to have a problem, nor did Bob.

Back then I had the impression that they were pretty drunk, doesn't look so bad when watching the videos now. I still remember Bob's angry/worried looks to the side.

IMHO Bob had better done it solo.

Complete set here (audio only):
[www.youtube.com]

I also thought Queen were the real highlight. In a Queen documenatry I saw not too long ago they said that queen spent quite some time rehearsing and rearranging songs before the gig to make the most of their slot in the program. It sure paid off.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home