Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick - Just Another Night - Live Aid 1985
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 14, 2020 01:55

35 yrs ago today

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Mick - Just Another Night - Live Aid 1985
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 14, 2020 02:42

As bad today as it was 35 years ago - maybe even more so.
Funny how it sounds like something Cyndi Lauper would sing and maybe have a hit with, but Mick? I don't think so.
The '80's pop sound....terrible and embarrassing for the most part.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 14, 2020 02:51

Yep, in hindsight Jagger's solo career was rather pointless. It's pity though since it put a halt to The Rolling Stones output. For the lion's part of the eighties. A shame really.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 14, 2020 03:00

Rather amusing. And followed by this:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 14, 2020 03:03

Guessing the majority of the crowd wanted to hear a Stones tune instead.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Date: July 14, 2020 03:03

I do admit though that Jagger's star quality at that time was so big that he didn't need to do much more than to show up to create a buzz...

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: July 14, 2020 03:53

Well if this is bad,then what about Richards and Woods peformance?It,s impossible to find something who is worse than that.It,s so bad,you should think it was some comedian om stage

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 14, 2020 09:36

Regardless of how one feels about his solo material, he delivered a powerhouse performance at Live Aid. In my estimation, this and Altamont are the only times he achieved madness. Am I right? (It could be argued that Keith achieved madness far more frequently – his own performance at Live Aid would certainly seem to qualify – but in his case there’s nothing really transcending about his performances – he’s just wasted.)

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 14, 2020 13:07

Crack on Keith all you want . History will remember who played more relevant solo material , than pop crap that one of the twins will cringe when reminded of it !

Date: July 14, 2020 13:49

Swayed1967
Regardless of how one feels about his solo material, he delivered a powerhouse performance at Live Aid. In my estimation, this and Altamont are the only times he achieved madness. Am I right? (It could be argued that Keith achieved madness far more frequently – his own performance at Live Aid would certainly seem to qualify – but in his case there’s nothing really transcending about his performances – he’s just wasted.)

And what exactly did KEITH do wrong at Live Aid? It was Ronnie who busted three strings, and it was Bob who was lost, if memory serves. Keith looked sober to me.

BTW, Mick's performance at Live Aid was very good. His band not so much.

Date: July 14, 2020 14:13

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967

And what exactly did KEITH do wrong at Live Aid? It was Ronnie who busted three strings, and it was Bob who was lost, if memory serves. Keith looked sober to me.

Keith has been blessed with the ability to be "on" when the red light goes on and it is time to perform . No ones perfect and everyone makes mistakes . Bob was no choir boy in the 80's and liked to have a "good time " just like the next person did .

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: July 14, 2020 14:16

Always loved this performance, iconic !

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 14, 2020 14:38

TheGreek
Crack on Keith all you want . History will remember who played more relevant solo material , than pop crap that one of the twins will cringe when reminded of it !

My God, you're so funny.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: July 14, 2020 15:17

DandelionPowderman

Wasn't it Bob that bust a string and Ron, the great side man that he is, gave him his guitar? The fact that they were not mic'd up properly didn't help and the choice of material ... When The Ship Comes In? I was one of the 1 billion watching on TV who had never heard this song before. Other than that, it was so bad, it was great!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2020 15:36

Valeswood
DandelionPowderman

Wasn't it Bob that bust a string and Ron, the great side man that he is, gave him his guitar? The fact that they were not mic'd up properly didn't help and the choice of material ... When The Ship Comes In? I was one of the 1 billion watching on TV who had never heard this song before. Other than that, it was so bad, it was great!!

Is how I remembered it as well. Very anticlimactic end to an amazing show. Really was a great day of music.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 14, 2020 15:40

One of the highlights of Live Aid (as far as performances go) was Mick pulling off Tina's skirt in IORR - a classic 'spontaneous' moment between two of the best front men/women ever.

Although for some reason there's no trace of it on You Tube anymore. Anyone know why?

EDIT: Actually just found it here https://www.facebook.com/watch/
cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-14 15:50 by Roll73.

Date: July 14, 2020 15:56

Valeswood
DandelionPowderman

You're right. However, they both broke strings smiling smiley

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: July 14, 2020 16:17

Great song and awesome performance.

Date: July 14, 2020 16:28

In Europe Jagger's and Dylan's performance performance went by mostly unnoticed. Because it was aired in the middle of the night/early morning and most people were asleep.
I remember because I taped the performance on VHS. Missed the first song though, Lonely At The Top. You can watch all the songs on Youtube of course.

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: July 14, 2020 17:03

I was up front in Philly that day, and the Mick - Tina performance was one I'll never forget. Makes those duets with people like Taylor Swift and Katy Perry a few years back look all the more ridiculous.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: July 14, 2020 17:15

Mick in the beginning of his baggy shirt era....if the Stones had stepped on stage and provided a short repeat of the 81 / 82 tour energy, we would still be watching it today, it's what the show needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-14 18:55 by snorton.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 14, 2020 19:05

snorton
Mick inllat the beginning of his baggy shirt era....if the Stones had stepped on stage and provided a short repeat of the 81 / 82 toir energy, we would still ne watching it today, it's the show needed.

Yep, even better some of their 1972-73 or 1966-67 energy.

But the band hadn't played for three years live (the biggest gap in their career by then), and at the time they weren't as professional and rehearsed as they would be from 1989 on, so they needed some shows to get their diesel warmed up properly. Even though they did long rehearsal sessions for 1981 tour, the first show of the tour (Philadelphia, co-incidently) clearly shows that it doesn't happen just like that. The same can be said any of their 'classical' 70's tours.

Add there that the band didn't get along very well at the moment, Charlie's condition, etc. so probably their performance might have been something like Dylan's actual one to remember now than one of their best 1981/82 concerts...

So in the long run, it probably was the best thing that actually happened... Mick made a 80's-style professional, but forgettable performance (pl. Tina), and Keith and Ronnie screwed up with Dylan, but it is Dylan who takes the blame there and his reputation stands that easily... No bigger damage done to the legacy of the Stones.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-14 19:22 by Doxa.

Date: July 14, 2020 19:24

I disagree , setting aside there physical shape and fights and squabbles I bet if this was a paid gig with a decent offer the Stones would have answered the bell and came out firing on all cylinders including one and other . I bet with little to no rehearsal they would have come out and played a set of classics and maybe even had a guest or 2 like EC for instance . These guys are consummate pros who show others how to get it done ! The crowd world wide would have lapped it up like kittens drinking milk and who knows this might have been an inspiration creatively . I cant wait to hear the critics section lampoon me .

Date: July 14, 2020 19:50

TheGreek, I don't quite share your positive thinking, but I am sure Jagger just by his determination, will power and showmanship would have made sure that they would have managed alright.

But as far as watching Mick's actual performance - tries, even over-tries as hell - it is easy to see that he is not any longer the Jagger of 1981/82. Which also makes this performance interesting in the context of his career as a performer. It's been three years since his latest live performance, and he really had readjusted his game. He is very polished up, almost all of that aggressive, provocative cockness, so typical to his old-self, is gone. Also much of his old, wild intuitive-like movement is replaced by a pure choreography. Altogether I think it is pretty hard to imagine the Stones of 1981/82 around him any longer - he really has moved forward.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-14 19:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 14, 2020 20:02

Unforgivable they did'nt perform as a band.

Date: July 14, 2020 20:13

TheGreek
I disagree , setting aside there physical shape and fights and squabbles I bet if this was a paid gig with a decent offer the Stones would have answered the bell and came out firing on all cylinders including one and other . I bet with little to no rehearsal they would have come out and played a set of classics and maybe even had a guest or 2 like EC for instance . These guys are consummate pros who show others how to get it done ! The crowd world wide would have lapped it up like kittens drinking milk and who knows this might have been an inspiration creatively . I cant wait to hear the critics section lampoon me .

I think so also - probably most of the bands there were "under rehearsed", and most seemed to manage just fine. Mick could have easily reverted back to his classic Stones image just as he did for the '89 tour - yes he was attempting to act like an '80's pop star ala George Michael/Wham during this period, but he wasn't too far gone yet and it was obviously not his true image and style - it was Fake Jagger. But then there was the so-called Led Zep reunion...they hadn't played in over five years. Horrible...maybe worse to watch than Jagger solo, but that's another story..... LedZep

Date: July 14, 2020 20:31

Stoneage
In Europe Jagger's and Dylan's performance performance went by mostly unnoticed. Because it was aired in the middle of the night/early morning and most people were asleep.
I remember because I taped the performance on VHS. Missed the first song though, Lonely At The Top. You can watch all the songs on Youtube of course.

Yeah, that's pretty much holds true here in Europe. I did watch the whole thing from the start to finish, and it was a kind of marathon, really. For a huge Stones and Dylan fan as me, there was something worth waiting, but I guess quite many had dropped out, and who weren't, were probably so exhausted at the time when Mick and Dylan performed, that no matter what they have done wouldn't have made any difference.

I guess without Tina's dress 'accident', there would have been any trace of Mick's performance left... And Bob's performance seem only to remembered for the farm aid reference (which at the time was viewed rather controversial).

Mick and Tina's duet performance was really a treat - and probably one of the iconic things the whole concert is remembered for. But probably more due to Tina than of Mick. Mick surely was the biggest living rock star and everything, A Legandary Name ("Everybody's Idol", like Bette Midler introduced him), but Tina was truely an actual superstar of the day - out-selling Mick or the Stones easily at the time. Actually it is a bit odd that Tina only made this brief duet with Mick, not a set of her own. It probably would have been more interesting for many viewers at the time if it had been the other way round: Tina doing a set and Mick joining her for a tune or two....

After LIVE AID there were calculations who were 'winners' of the event, that is, whose record sales reacted the best. Queen, U2 and Tina Turner were at least listed among those I recall.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-14 20:33 by Doxa.

Date: July 14, 2020 20:33

We now have the luxury of looking at this from a longer perspective. Like 35 years. And I stand by my overall perspective: Jagger's solo career was rather pointless. And it caused the band to almost dissolve.
Seven years without performing is a long time for any band. Especially when you are in your early 40's. I don't think there is much positive at all to tell about Sir Michael's solo endeavors.

Date: July 14, 2020 20:44

Agree Stoneage regarding it being pointless.

At the time it felt like a complete sellout that lacked any sincerity...at least that's the way I saw it.
All of the sudden he's attempting to magically become a slick MTV style pop star....lame.

Date: July 14, 2020 20:56

Funny thing, Geldof received a KBE for his charity work but can't be addressed as Sir since he is a Mick...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-14 21:31 by Stoneage.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2060
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home