Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Another appreciation of Satisfaction
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 10, 2020 18:10

A nice little read re Satisfaction coming out 55 years ago and blasting through the summer airwaves. I didn't remember the song featured for a moment in the movie Apocalypse Now. What a sequence from the movie. For some of us, a transistor radio was the Walkman of our time. It went just about everywhere with you. So, put on your fave version of Satisfaction, crank the stereo volume to 12 and have at it. It's 1965 all over again, baby.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: Another appreciation of Satisfaction
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 10, 2020 21:36

IMHO - if I had to pick one - I'd say Satisfaction is the greatest rock and roll song of all time. First heard it when I was about 5 years old, and that turned me onto music. I had to have that song - at 5!
A couple favorite versions - the scene in Gimme Shelter with the whole 'and I need a good woman, to keep me Satisfied." And I think the Hyde Park Sweet Summer Sun version is outstanding. I was there, and it really wasn't one of my favorite Stones shows overall (too big, too many people, and I had just seen them in the Pit in Boston), but that just may be, for me, the greatest version of the greatest rock and roll song ever. I mean think of it - of all the shows the Stones have played, and likely well over 90% including it. and the number of huge shows they've done - is there any single song that has been seen by more people??
Oh yeah - AND it's in Apocalypse Now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-10 21:37 by DEmerson.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 10, 2020 22:12

And Mad Men....

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 10, 2020 23:00

Maybe controversial, but personally I do think though that the influence from the Otis Redding version on Stones later live versions of "Satisfaction" detracts somewhat from the greatness of the song, compared with the earlier live renditions of it from the Stones, that is, the few I have heard.

I guess that parts of the menace about the original song is lost that way.

Saying this, I was one when the US version OUT OF OUR HEADS was released in Norway, then liked the Stones versions of "That's How Strong My Love Is" and "Cry to Me" better than "Satisfaction". ( I love those two covers still.)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2020 23:11

One of the GREATEST songs ever.
I recall as a 3 or 4 year old in '66/'67, my aunt Susie (who used to babysit us) would sing the song for us. It became an anthem for us -whenever Aunt Susie came over to babysit, we made sure to singalong to Satisfaction.
And whenever I heard it on the radio, I'd think of Aunt Susie. Even to this day, whether on the radio, cd, vinyl, video, live, etc., etc., etc. or even the mere mention of it like this thread, Satisfaction conjures up great memories.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2020 03:54

Witness
Maybe controversial, but personally I do think though that the influence from the Otis Redding version on Stones later live versions of "Satisfaction" detracts somewhat from the greatness of the song, compared with the earlier live renditions of it from the Stones, that is, the few I have heard.

I guess that parts of the menace about the original song is lost that way.

Saying this, I was one when the US version OUT OF OUR HEADS was released in Norway, then liked the Stones versions of "That's How Strong My Love Is" and "Cry to Me" better than "Satisfaction". ( I love those two covers still.)

I feel similarly. While I like the Otis version, to me it sounds like completely different song, and not better. It's too bad that the live version of this has turned more like the Otis version. Love That's How Strong My Love Is.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: July 11, 2020 06:08

Cool memory Hairball. thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 11, 2020 06:38

Keith and Bill countering each other creates the fantastic tension in the song. Brian's contribution is minimal at best. Tambourine? Acoustic strumming? The greatest song of the summer of '65.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 11, 2020 08:46

I tend to forget over the years how controversial it used to be considered, too.

Stone classic.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 11, 2020 17:07

24FPS
Keith and Bill countering each other creates the fantastic tension in the song. Brian's contribution is minimal at best. Tambourine? Acoustic strumming? The greatest song of the summer of '65.

Typical ignorant mind set about Brian. eye rolling smiley

By varying his rhythm and playing against the piano, drums etc etc he is part of the 'fantastic tension'.

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (isolated) - featuring Brian Jones playing acoustic guitar.

Click the Youtube icon to open the link.

Recorded at RCA Studios in 1965.

Isolated line Up:

Brian Jones - acoustic guitar
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - vocals
Ian Stewart or Jack Nitzsche - piano

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-13 16:28 by His Majesty.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 11, 2020 17:51

dmay
A nice little read re Satisfaction coming out 55 years ago and blasting through the summer airwaves. I didn't remember the song featured for a moment in the movie Apocalypse Now. What a sequence from the movie. For some of us, a transistor radio was the Walkman of our time. It went just about everywhere with you. So, put on your fave version of Satisfaction, crank the stereo volume to 12 and have at it. It's 1965 all over again, baby.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Yes, the transistor radio! I remember, in 9th grade, walking down the hill from Schurr Junior high school to the bus stop, listening to Satisfaction on my transistor radio with one small ear phone. I was blown away. I wasn’t yet 15 years old but that made me a Stones fan for life.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 11, 2020 21:07

Hey, His Majesty, thanks for the Brian doing acoustic link. I never heard this before and its one of the coolest versions of Satisfaction I have ever heard. It's headed for my permanent listening collection right now. For moi, Brian still remains the original Rolling Stone.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: July 11, 2020 21:29

Bill is unbelievable on this one. Absolute genius.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 11, 2020 21:47

vertigojoe
Bill is unbelievable on this one. Absolute genius.

Genius....lol thats funny

Date: July 11, 2020 21:50

It really isn’t. Best musician out of the original 5. Only bested by MT.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 11, 2020 22:38

vertigojoe

I think its funny too. Its a bass line You dont have to have a hi IQ to come up with that. Genius? People that work on space programs and radar systems are very smart talented individuals. Some people may be in the genius catagory. You dont have to have an IQ score of 130 to come up with a 8 note bass line. I think it's a good line too. But genius? I've seen better players at local taverns playing covers.

Date: July 11, 2020 23:03

Cooltoplady
vertigojoe

I think its funny too. Its a bass line You dont have to have a hi IQ to come up with that. Genius? People that work on space programs and radar systems are very smart talented individuals. Some people may be in the genius catagory. You dont have to have an IQ score of 130 to come up with a 8 note bass line. I think it's a good line too. But genius? I've seen better players at local taverns playing covers.

I very much doubt that. Technically more proficient maybe but Bill was a legend. Proof of which is the fact they suck since he left. Sad thing is they know that.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 12, 2020 00:10

There something wrong with you. Ttyl

Date: July 12, 2020 00:54

Whatever.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 13, 2020 08:21

Just watched what I could tolerate for the SWEET SUMMER SUN version. It's as drawn out and flat and boring as ever, done very well, as they have since 1981 but...

What the hell is Mick Taylor doing with an acoustic? That's ridiculous. I remember he did that on the tour he was with them for but I either forgot or didn't know he was at that show.

So dumb!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 13, 2020 10:37

I don't have it, but this book is supposed to have photos of the covey of Stones poolside when and where Mick wrote the Satisfaction lyrics:

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 13, 2020 16:06

Thanks His Majesty for that "acoustic" version of Satisfaction! You're absolutely right about the impact of Brian hitting "against" the standard rhythm. It's a shame some are judging individual band members without knowing specific details. Luckily these kind of recordings give a better isside!
Whatever, Satisfaction is a timeless smash and musically the original "logo" of the Stones.
smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 13, 2020 18:12

"Another appreciation of Satisfaction"?

It took me years to notice the song has not a single drum roll or similar rhythmic embellishment. Just BANG BANG BANG till the end!

So modern! thumbs up

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 14, 2020 00:34

dcba
"Another appreciation of Satisfaction"?

It took me years to notice the song has not a single drum roll or similar rhythmic embellishment. Just BANG BANG BANG till the end!

So modern! thumbs up

It's all a matter of isolating yourself with that song and let it "torture" your brain. If the torture works, you feel/know what the Stones are about and you can truly say you're a Stones fan deep into your bones winking smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 14, 2020 01:14

His Majesty
24FPS

By varying his rhythm and playing against the piano, drums etc etc he is part of the 'fantastic tension'.

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (isolated) - featuring Brian Jones playing acoustic guitar.

Isolated line Up:

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - vocals

This is one channel of the wide stereo version found on the original London Hot Rocks from 85! Also has stereo versions of Play With Fire, Mothers Little Helper and Get Off of My Cloud. Mastered by Mobile Fidelity.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 14, 2020 12:30

Yes it is. smiling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 14, 2020 13:13

DEVO did a great version, IMHO. smoking smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 14, 2020 13:13

Closest they came the original's Crawling King Snake-vibes was in 97-98 when they opened the shows with it. That's how it should be performed, not at the end a la Otis. Close with Brown Sugar or Sympathy and we got a winner.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 19, 2020 17:12

His Majesty
24FPS

Isolated line Up:

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - vocals

wow...beautiful. thanks for sharing that.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 20, 2020 19:54

vertigojoe
Cooltoplady
vertigojoe

I very much doubt that. Technically more proficient maybe but Bill was a legend. Proof of which is the fact they suck since he left. Sad thing is they know that.

Is it a fact that they have sucked since Bill left? Sounds like an ignorant prick comment to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1620
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home