Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jimmy Page on playing on "One Hit To The Body"
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2020 20:46

georgelicks
Stoneage
I seem to remember DW was the last album on a record deal. I guess the key thing was to just get it done. In order to move on to another deal. Or go solo, or whatever their plan was at that time...

It was the first album of the new CBS deal, or the second one if we count She's The Boss, both were from the same deal of 4 studio albums/Mick's solo albums.

Their last album from the old deal was Rewind.

Thanks, georgelicks. Well, then they have no excuses. Poor CBS, but I guess they didn't go broke on them. Rewind was a compilation - so a compilation was counted for in the old deal?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 13, 2020 22:07

Stoneage
georgelicks
Stoneage
I seem to remember DW was the last album on a record deal. I guess the key thing was to just get it done. In order to move on to another deal. Or go solo, or whatever their plan was at that time...

It was the first album of the new CBS deal, or the second one if we count She's The Boss, both were from the same deal of 4 studio albums/Mick's solo albums.

Thanks, georgelicks. Well, then they have no excuses. Poor CBS, but I guess they didn't go broke on them. Rewind was a compilation - so a compilation was counted for in the old deal?

It was common to kick off or end a record deal with a hits compilation. REWIND was the end of the Atlantic/Warner/EMI deal. Columbia/CBS didn't do either and was the last label to distribute Rolling Stones Records releases. JUMP BACK was the beginning of the Virgin deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-16 16:52 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 13, 2020 22:28

dcba
Erik_Snow

maybe because not only Jimmy Page, but also Keith and Ronnie can't remember anything about who did what in the guitarsection of that track. So they just included Jimmy Page's name as a gesture on the musician-sheet. And...probably nobody in the band even listened to the album when finished - so it's in the blue for them if Jimmy is even ON the record

You're probably 100% right!
I was "studying" the 1986 band timeline on zentgraf's site and I was shocked at how everyone moved to other things right after DW was released.
The album was released on March 24 and after a fake press campaign ("yeah recording the album was a breeze lads!") Mick did some solo sessions, CW did some jazz gigs, and Keith (cautiously?) approached Chuck Berry to start the "HH R&Roll" movie : he joined him onstage in Chicago in June.

Basically no one was giving a @hit about the still-born DW.

well, the album was finished in late 1985 and it had already been decided soon afterwards that they wouldn't be working together for the forseeable future, so once they did the brief round of promotional obligations, they had no reason to have anything more to do with it so they could plan other side projects.

Same with 'Undercover'. In both cases, once the record came out, the only further work they did together was to shoot promo films for future singles ('She was hot' and 'Too Much Blood' in Mexico in Jan'84 and 'One Hit' in London in May '86)

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: July 13, 2020 22:52

More Hot Rocks
This are the reasons I hate the 80's. Shitty cars, stupid cloths, videos taking over music, keyboards replacing guitars bad food, bad politics, I started losing my hair, Dirty Work, my first dog died, and interviews like this.

Loved the '80's! Saw my first Stones show in 1981...I had a 1983 Mustang GT..(it's still on the road) had some cool clothes, made a SHIT TON of money..the clothes were cool..got my first brand new car 1989 Probe GT (still have one!) and closed the year out with some Stones shows..

Sorry about your dog....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 13, 2020 23:01

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-13 23:02 by ryanpow.

Date: July 13, 2020 23:39

Sir Michael, Keith, Ronnie and Bill about Dirty Work: [www.youtube.com]

Plus Keith and Steven Van Zandt about Dirty Work and Talk is Cheap. [www.youtube.com]:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-13 23:52 by Stoneage.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 15, 2020 00:09

georgelicks
Stoneage

Yes and the last album of original tunes was Undercover. I remember that the news of the $25 million contract they'd just signed with CBS was all over the press when Undercover was getting announced. Seemed a bit odd but I suppose it was some sort of marketing ploy ;-)

As for the interview, what a riot ! These were really shambolic sessions, "Mick was there the second night and it seemed like he had maybe not seen them for some time", hehe...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 00:14 by gotdablouse.

Date: July 15, 2020 02:11

gotdablouse
georgelicks
Stoneage

Yes and the last album of original tunes was Undercover. I remember that the news of the $25 million contract they'd just signed with CBS was all over the press when Undercover was getting announced. Seemed a bit odd but I suppose it was some sort of marketing ploy

The CBS/Columbia deal was in mid-August, not long after UNDERCOVER was mixed and finished. They shot the first video for Undercover Of The Night in mid-October. UOTN was released October 31. U came out a week later.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 15, 2020 14:30

GasLightStreet
gotdablouse
georgelicks
Stoneage

Yes and the last album of original tunes was Undercover. I remember that the news of the $25 million contract they'd just signed with CBS was all over the press when Undercover was getting announced. Seemed a bit odd but I suppose it was some sort of marketing ploy

The CBS/Columbia deal was in mid-August, not long after UNDERCOVER was mixed and finished. They shot the first video for Undercover Of The Night in mid-October. UOTN was released October 31. U came out a week later.

I recall reading that Atlantic/EMI (or whatever was the company at the time) wasn't that happy about the new deal and how that affect on the Stones work on UNDERCOVER. I don't know what they mean by it - not enough promoting/no tour/or they just not putting enough work on the whole thing. At least they put a lot of energy to the videos. Who knows, probably they were just disappointed for its relatively low sales after SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATTOO YOU, and they lost the band...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 14:33 by Doxa.

Date: July 15, 2020 17:16

Doxa
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse
georgelicks
Stoneage

I recall reading that Atlantic/EMI (or whatever was the company at the time) wasn't that happy about the new deal and how that affect on the Stones work on UNDERCOVER. I don't know what they mean by it - not enough promoting/no tour/or they just not putting enough work on the whole thing. At least they put a lot of energy to the videos. Who knows, probably they were just disappointed for its relatively low sales after SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATTOO YOU, and they lost the band...

- Doxa

It shouldn't matter that the Stones signed a new deal after recording UNDERCOVER. The album was done! How could that have any influence on the album!!?? What, they're just not gonna do something because it's the last album? Why bother doing anything with the first album then?

As far as I know no member of the Stones personally delivers promo singles to radio stations. Atlantic/Warner/EMI still had their control over hype etc for U so whatever they were unhappy with was on them.

What if it had been a #1 album in the US? What would they say then?

Perhaps the question the label could've been asking the Stones was, where's the big single?

There isn't one. Not one song has that marker of being a big song like Miss You, Beast Of Burden, Emotional Rescue or Start Me Up has. There are some great tunes, Tie You Up is probably the best song on U but none of them have that OH IT'S THE STONES! sound to it. They really haven't had anything like that since.

Date: July 15, 2020 17:34

I get the feeling business and scoring lucrative deals went number one. Once that was secured it seems like their incentive to work hard diminished.
It's telling that they haven't had a real smash hit since SMU. And that is some 39 years ago...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 16, 2020 00:13

"Undercover (of the Night)" wasn't a bad single and "Too Much Blood" wasn't too shabby either, "She Was Hot", although a "fun" tune, not so much. Why they didn't sell "well" is anyone's guess. Could have been some "karma" from the endless bickering between Mick and Keith during the mixing sessions where they drove Kimsey crazy when they took turns at the console with Keith supposedly instructing him to "wipe that stuff Mick did". It was bad enough that Mick had to promise they would be on their best behavior for him to come back on board for Steel Wheels.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 16, 2020 05:36

dennycranium
More Hot Rocks
This are the reasons I hate the 80's. Shitty cars, stupid cloths, videos taking over music, keyboards replacing guitars bad food, bad politics, I started losing my hair, Dirty Work, my first dog died, and interviews like this.

Loved the '80's! Saw my first Stones show in 1981...I had a 1983 Mustang GT..(it's still on the road) had some cool clothes, made a SHIT TON of money..the clothes were cool..got my first brand new car 1989 Probe GT (still have one!) and closed the year out with some Stones shows..

Sorry about your dog....

It's Ok. He willed me Flock Of Seagulls cassette collectiom. You had an 83 Mustang, I had a Plymoth Reliant. I bought it brand new. When the car hit 63,000 it was rusted out and the engine was burning oil. The good ole days. Not really.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 16, 2020 16:03

GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

It shouldn't matter that the Stones signed a new deal after recording UNDERCOVER. The album was done! How could that have any influence on the album!!?? What, they're just not gonna do something because it's the last album? Why bother doing anything with the first album then?

As far as I know no member of the Stones personally delivers promo singles to radio stations. Atlantic/Warner/EMI still had their control over hype etc for U so whatever they were unhappy with was on them.

Perhaps the question the label could've been asking the Stones was, where's the big single?

There isn't one. Not one song has that marker of being a big song like Miss You, Beast Of Burden, Emotional Rescue or Start Me Up has. There are some great tunes, Tie You Up is probably the best song on U but none of them have that OH IT'S THE STONES! sound to it. They really haven't had anything like that since.

Yeah, I think (and this is pure speculation) what troubled Atlantic/Warner/EMI was more that of negotating the new deal while recording/finishing up UNDERCOVER for them. It was quite early, since in the following year they would still release REWIND for them. Probably they thought that the Stones would treat/or were treating those releases like contract fillers, not any longer such important, since having a new great contract in pocket. Anyway, that criticism doesn't look justified, at least looked from 'outside', since UNDERCOVER was promoted with three videos, REWIND with a VHS video release, etc. What else they could have done? Maybe the record company people thought the material was subpar, but at least they weren't offering any "CS Blues" haha... Of course, they can't force people buy stuff... But who knows, what happened behind the curtains.

But from the point of view of the Stones that was a great timing to make a new deal though... within a few years they just had career topping albums released (SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU) and EMOTIONAL RESCUE also had sold well. The falling sales of UNDERCOVER didn't make any harm yet...

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-16 16:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 16, 2020 17:03

I've always had a sneaking liking for Dirty work. Maybe it's because it seems to be universally hated, and I'm a perverse old bugger. I hardly played it for years, allowing the world to make my mind up for me that it was a pile of dross. About ten years ago I gave it a spin and was pleasantly surprised. Sure it's not a GREAT album but it is not wall to wall crap either. One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, Had It With You, Sleep Tonight and Hold Back are perfectly decent tracks.

My biggest complaint is that there are totally unnecessary synth washes scattered throughout the album that add nothing to the contents but immediately date the music as coming from the 80's. But as others have said, the worst of the Stones far exceeds the best of countless other bands.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 16, 2020 19:57

More Hot Rocks
It's Ok. He willed me Flock Of Seagulls cassette collectiom. You had an 83 Mustang, I had a Plymoth Reliant. I bought it brand new. When the car hit 63,000 it was rusted out and the engine was burning oil. The good ole days. Not really.

oh, come on, I'm sure you had some great rides nomatter which car you had, as long as you could blast out Lies, Summer Romance, Where The Boys Go and them other favourites of yours on the stereo

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 16, 2020 20:26

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-16 20:39 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: July 16, 2020 22:42

Zeppelin edges out the Beatles for lowest IQ among major classic rock bands. what a dolt Jimmy is.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 17, 2020 00:36

Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks

oh, come on, I'm sure you had some great rides nomatter which car you had, as long as you could blast out Lies, Summer Romance, Where The Boys Go and them other favourites of yours on the stereo

I rest my case your honor....

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 17, 2020 01:56

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

Yeah, I think (and this is pure speculation) what troubled Atlantic/Warner/EMI was more that of negotating the new deal while recording/finishing up UNDERCOVER for them. It was quite early, since in the following year they would still release REWIND for them. Probably they thought that the Stones would treat/or were treating those releases like contract fillers, not any longer such important, since having a new great contract in pocket. Anyway, that criticism doesn't look justified, at least looked from 'outside', since UNDERCOVER was promoted with three videos, REWIND with a VHS video release, etc. What else they could have done? Maybe the record company people thought the material was subpar, but at least they weren't offering any "CS Blues" haha... Of course, they can't force people buy stuff... But who knows, what happened behind the curtains.

But from the point of view of the Stones that was a great timing to make a new deal though... within a few years they just had career topping albums released (SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU) and EMOTIONAL RESCUE also had sold well. The falling sales of UNDERCOVER didn't make any harm yet...

- Doxa

Undercover had no chance to top the US chart at the time for various reasons:
1- It was released in November, high sales level, their previous 4 studio albums were released in April-August, lower sales level.
2- The competition at the time was tremendous: Synchronicity, Thriller, all multi-platinum albums with loads of hits, Undercover peaked on December during the Christmas season, a bad time for any rock album.
[www.billboard.com]
3- No tour to push the sales.

Date: July 17, 2020 20:30

EMOTIONAL RESCUE didn't have a tour and was released in early summer, with the title track single released the same day.

UNDERCOVER's first single was the not-so-title track Undercover Of The Night - not exactly a stunning Ah it's the Stones! kind of song. I'd argue that the lack of a obvious identifying single hindered the album.

Then again, there was such a big shift in the pop-music culture and landscape, and the Stones had had something pretty much every other year for a while... maybe enough people had had enough and didn't care anymore. I've heard such things from people - they are the ones that stop following.

Which doesn't explain how BLACK AND BLUE was a #1 LP in the US other than the momentum they had in the 1970s.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home