Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones recording in the Caribbean
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 8, 2020 16:17

Please post every Stones related material (recording, lodging, hunting, fishing... ) on;
- Dynamic Sound Studio, Kingston, Jamaica,
- Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas,
- Air Studio Montserrat

We should have a nice bunch of pics!

Re: The Stones recording in the Caribbean
Date: July 8, 2020 16:52

Apparently, no ashtray....
The Rolling Stones In Kingston Jamaica
(MANDATORY CREDIT Koh Hasebe/Shinko Music/Getty Images) Rolling Stones in Kingston Jamaica with classic instruments of Japan n, Jamaica, December 1980. (Photo by Koh Hasebe/Shinko Music/Getty Images)

Date: July 8, 2020 17:02

Rolling Stones at Dynamic Sounds Studios - Kingston Jamaica - 1972

Copyright(c) Adrian Boot,

A few more below ...

[urbanimage.photoshelter.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 8, 2020 17:40

Love that first photo

Date: July 8, 2020 18:00

HOME
MUSIC
MUSIC NEWS
JANUARY 18, 1973 5:00PM ET
The Rolling Stones Recording in Jamaica
The band’s ‘Exile’ follow-up set to drop early next spring

By ROLLING STONE

[www.rollingstone.com]

KINGSTON, JAMAICA — The Rolling Stones have just finished the most intensive studio activity of their ten-year recording career. Working sundown to sunup seven days a week during four weeks in November and December, the Stones cut more than a dozen basic tracks at Dynamic Sounds Studio with producer Jimmy Miller and engineer Andrew Johns, brother of Glyn Johns. Following the holidays, they will prepare for a month-long tour of Hawaii, Japan, Hong Kong and Australia beginning January 21st. On return, the Stones will complete the album by adding vocals and instrumental overdubs.

“Nobody has had any time to go sightseeing or shopping,” said Marshall Chess, their personal manager. Their only relaxation has been a few late afternoon hours by the pool at the Terra Nova, a palatial hotel that was formerly the family home of Chris Blackwell, founder of England’s Island Records, which brought Kingston Studios their current fame.

The Rolling Stones, 1963-1969: Behind-the-Scenes Snapshots

“We’ve had to compress our recording schedule in order to finish up before Christmas,” said Bill Wyman. The Stones’ last album, Exile on Main Street, recorded mostly in the south of France using the group’s mobile studio, took a year from beginning to end, Chess said. The new album is scheduled for early spring release.

“This album will be less freaky, more melodic than the last one,” said Mick Jagger. “We’ve recorded a lot of fast numbers already, maybe too many.”

Among the working titles are: “You Should Have Seen Her Ass,” “Star-@#$%&,” “Separately,” “Four and In,” “Give Us a Break,” “Comin’ Down, Again,” “Waiting for a Friend,” “Angie” and “First Thing.”

Lying on the bed in his small hotel room, Jagger described a con and a pro of recording in Jamaica. “Finding something to eat has been a problem. We usually get up too late for lunch and too early for dinner. When we return from the studio it’s too early for breakfast.”

Jagger and Keith Richards had been to the island once before on holiday. Though the Stones have moved their homes officially from England to the south of France, Jagger said he had not returned to the Mediterranean in nearly a year. “One of the benefits of recording away from home in an isolated place like Jamaica is there are no distractions,” Jagger said. “We can work without interruptions and that is what we have been doing.”

Nicky Hopkins joined the Stones in Jamaica for the first two weeks of recording and then returned to London to complete his first solo album. Billy Preston flew in from Los Angeles for the final week. The only other outside musicians involved were a Jamaican conga and timbales player and Ian Stewart, long-time friend and road manager, on piano.

Dynamic Sounds, run by the island’s best-known bandleader and producer Byron Lee, had developed a growing reputation as the Caribbean equivalent of Muscle Shoals’ studios in Alabama. Jimmy Cliff recorded his million-selling single “Wonderful World, Beautiful People” there, and Paul Simon did “Mother and Child Reunion” and “Me and Julio.”

“We finished our new Studio B just in time for the Stones,” Lee said. “And we also got specific equipment they requested: a grand piano and Hammond B3 organ, as well as special microphones and headphones (which Jamaican musicians never use in the studio)–an investment of nearly $100,000.”

Meanwhile, the Stones prepare to tour the Pacific. Chip Monck is again designing the staging and lighting. “There will be two revolving mirrors this time,” said Monck, “one in front as before and another over the stage with a design on the back in neon. The equipment will be much more compact because of the shipping costs.” Plans include a concert on a football field in Hong Kong, several shows at the 11,000-seat Budo-Can sports stadium in Tokyo and a series of outdoor concerts in Australia.

This story is from the January 18th, 1973 issue of Rolling Stone.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 8, 2020 18:13

The Joker

Apparently, no ashtray....
The Rolling Stones In Kingston Jamaica
(MANDATORY CREDIT Koh Hasebe/Shinko Music/Getty Images) Rolling Stones in Kingston Jamaica with classic instruments of Japan n, Jamaica, December 1980. (Photo by Koh Hasebe/Shinko Music/Getty Images)

December1980? More like December/January 1972/73

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 8, 2020 18:22

Yes, Mick Taylor is in the picture, the hair, the clothes, etc.

Date: July 8, 2020 18:32

Elmo Lewis
Yes, Mick Taylor is in the picture, the hair, the clothes, etc.

Sure... Just put the credit by Guetty.

Date: July 8, 2020 18:52

See Pics of Beatles, Stones, U2 and More From Japan’s Top Rock Photographer
[www.rollingstone.com]

"I went to shoot the Stones in Jamaica ahead of their Japan tour. They were recording Goat's Head Soup. They said I could shoot everyone individually except Mick. They said Mick gets nervous before recording. Before I knew it Mick was there, kneeling on the floor with a shamisen. Then they started recording the last song on the album, 'Star Star,' right away. I was the sole audience member for the Stones' recording, but Mick ignored me entirely. I couldn't shoot Mick alone, so I just stood there and listened. After the recording they introduced me and said I was doing publicity for their upcoming Japan tour. Of course the tour never happened because the Japanese government wouldn't issue visas due to the Stones' drug arrests." —Koh Hasebe

Keith Richards getting interviewed in Kingston, Jamaica, December 1972 © Koh Hasebe/Shinko Music/Getty Images

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:59

Jimmy Buffett recorded the second album recorded at AIR Montserrat in 1979 and The Rolling Stones STEEL WHEELS was the last album recorded there.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 9, 2020 01:06

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-13 01:11 by Honestman.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 10, 2020 15:51

Assume we'll get a ton more pictures of them in the Caribbean in the GHS Super deluxe package...

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 11, 2020 05:10

Keith had some rotten teeth. And Mick looks like he is packing in that one photo.

Date: July 11, 2020 09:19

HMN

Date: July 11, 2020 09:23

HMN

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 13, 2020 08:39

1972 Dynamic Sounds Studio, Kingston Jamaica. Goats Head Soup sessions.

"It was a day off work for .. a break from teaching physics in Port Antonio. A trip to to meet the Rolling Stones at the Terra Nova hotel Kingston. It was my first real music photosession. A friend and Rolling Stone magazine writer Robert Greenfield wrote and asked if I would like to take some snaps. The letter contained the time and place .. I just turned up, and followed them to Dynamic Sounds studio where I spent an hour or so taking photographs. Most of the rolls of film left with the Stones to be delivered to the record company in NY. I got to keep 2 rolls, and I got paid. These are some those pics…"

- Adrian Boot

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: July 13, 2020 09:13

Kingston, Jamaica GHS

After Muddy and Charlie

First Thing

Give Us A Break

Jamaica

Men Eating Woman 1 (Instrumental vs. 10:52) & Short vocal vs.(3:54)...not the longer vocal version. (Sessions Jan-Mar '73, Village Recorder, LA,CA).

Miami

Zabadoo

Four And In (MJ/KR) -unverified (Nico Zentgraf)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 18, 2020 20:15

They must read this forum: [twitter.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2020 18:08

The Stones only recorded in the Caribbean twice - for GHS and for STEEL WHEELS.

The recorded in the Bahamas for EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER (and Mick did solo work there for SHE'S THE BOSS).

The Stones did demos for SW and VOODOO LOUNGE and Mick did demos for PRIMITIVE COOL in Barbados, which technically is not in the Caribbean Sea, it's in the Atlantic Ocean, but is considered in the Caribbean nation and is the eastern most Windward island in the Lesser Antilles by 100 miles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home