Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT - Favorite Live Albums
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 13, 2020 08:31

Erik_Snow
Bastion
Not a single mention of something written entirely in the 21st century.

Nope. Then again, I bet there's not many people on this board less than 18 y.o.
If there was an "IORR teen" board, you'd see Bieber and the likes listed....or; can them artist even play live?

What a ridiculous thing to suggest.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 13, 2020 09:09

retired_dog
Speaking of Dylan, what strikes me is that he never released a live album of recent shows after "Real Live" and the collaboration with Grateful Dead again (not counting special events like the Anniversary show or Unplugged, of course)- that's more than 30 years...

Yes that IS very strange, since 1997-2002 featured some of his finest live performances. Not to mention 1988. We did get a couple ones on Tell Tale Signs and TOOM CD singles. But, it doesn't bother me THAT much as there are so many absolutely terrific sounding audience captures out there. I think he must be the artist with the best "tapers" in the audience. Much better than Rolling Stones tapers, overall.

And I agree with you about live concerts is often a lot more interesting than studio recordings, and more telling about the artists real quality. Big exception is JJ Cale....he can only deliver when he's at home, yet I regard him high

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-13 09:44 by Erik_Snow.

Date: July 13, 2020 09:12

Bastion
Erik_Snow
Bastion

If there was an "IORR teen" board, you'd see Bieber and the likes listed....or; can them artist even play live?

Yes, I was too harsh, Justin Bieber sounds great live in concert.

Date: July 13, 2020 09:31

Samantha Fox too! Or wait...was that the 80s?

Date: July 13, 2020 09:58

retired_dog
Speaking of Dylan, what strikes me is that he never released a live album of recent shows after "Real Live" and the collaboration with Grateful Dead again (not counting special events like the Anniversary show or Unplugged, of course)- that's more than 30 years...

I'm quoting you one more time, retired_dog; I think it's Dylans way of looking at live shows, that he want the shows to be just for the people who are there, or something, the same way there are hardly any PRO footage of him after 1995. Or TV concerts, save for one or two songs such as the Sam Cooke tribute. He doesn't allow it. Which is kind of cool. Remember that scenario in Vienna last year..."you want me to pose, or do you want me to play?" - as there were so many people in the audience who just held up their stupid mobilephones instead of listening

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-13 09:59 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 13, 2020 10:50

Slade - Slade Alive
Rolling Stones - Texas Girls 78
Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison
The Who - Live At Leeds
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall live

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 14, 2020 05:25

1. Allman Brothers- Fillmore East
2. Johnny Winter And- Live
3. Rolling Stones- GYYO
4. Deep Purple- Made in Japan
5. Thin Lizzy- Live and Dangerous

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 14, 2020 05:45

Erik_Snow
Bastion
Erik_Snow
Bastion

Yup - and JB is a seriously good drummer.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 14, 2020 05:54

Erik_Snow
Bastion
Erik_Snow
Bastion

HaHa. Notice also, that despite criticizing others, Bastion didn't put out his own crappy list - nothing from him from 21st century either.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 14, 2020 06:04

loog droog
24FPS
Two standouts from the selections mentioned, are Bob Marley's 'Live', and excellent album, and the Who's 'Live at Leeds'. Those two would go right below my first five. Duke Ellington at Newport is another great. I'm surprised no one else picked Band of Gypsys.

It was the first pick of the first post.

Yes........I..........picked it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 14, 2020 06:08

jbwelda
I wasn't at MSG or where ever that show was recorded, but I saw them at Cal Expo in Sacramento a month or two of that I believe. And also at either Winterland or another SF area place around then as well. This was after seeing the original Hendrix Experience at the Sac State Women's (could have been Men's) Gym and at a festival out here too. That was the band I really liked.

Band of Gypsies was him really struggling with new music and with the whole black identity thing. I thought it was a very sad time, at the time, and he was obviously not in his previous level of playing at all.

Maybe its just me, because I know a lot of people love that release and short-lived band. I personally thought Hendrix was one third of a good thing when the Experience was happening, and that Electric Ladyland was the most fantastic LP out there at the time (even though a lot of it wasn't strictly Experience). Anything after Voodoo Chile was a letdown for me.

jb

How strange. Different ears. Band of Gypsys, for me, is Hendrix at his absolutely sizzling peak. To think that it's one man making most of that music. And the rhythm section wasn't bad either.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 14, 2020 06:41

Machine Gun from the Band of Gypsys live album is monumental and is the best live Hendrix performance I've ever heard - in fact it might be my favorite live performance by anyone.
Hear My Train A Coming live (Berkeley '70) from the Rainbow Bridge album is probably my second favorite of all time.

As for favorite live album? I like alot of them and couldn't pick just one.

Johnny Winter Captured Live is fantastic.

And Neil Young/Crazy Horse -Rust Never Sleeps

And Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From the Road

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-14 08:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 14, 2020 06:52

My favorite all time live album has been Ya Yas without a doubt.

If I had to pick someone other than the Stones (as some of the other posters noted above), Hendrix Band of Gypsys is a great listening experience. By the time the band played those last two shows over New Years 69-70, they got the kinks out and were on fire. It is too bad that BOGs was a short lived group because Hendrix, for my tastes, was heading in a great musical direction with this band.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-14 06:59 by Sighunt.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home