Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith’s Ted Newman Jones Mahogany Tele for sale
Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 6, 2020 20:24

Re: Keith’s Ted Newman Jones Mahogany Tele for sale
Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: July 6, 2020 21:57

Anyone make out the dedication Love and ....

Date: July 6, 2020 22:12

Librarian
Anyone make out the dedication Love and ....

It's in the text: 'To Doc, Love & Prescriptions'.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: July 6, 2020 23:44

I thought so. though it looked misspelled. ;-)

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 6, 2020 23:53

Well, now I know what to ask the family to get me as an early Christmas gift. This article also got me wondering what my hand made by John Szetana ( a friend who made custom Telecasters before Parkinson's changed things around) Telecaster could be sold for. Nothing like what KR's stuff can sell for, but Sze's is a beautiful guitar and one of a kind. Sze also made a one off Telecaster with the body of the guitar hand cut into the shape of a woman. The front of the body had slightly rising curves at the neck end to emulate the shape of a woman's breasts. The back side had just that - a hand carved shape near the bottom of the guitar, if you stood it upright, that emulated a woman's buttocks. The pickups were Texas specials, if I remember right, with a Fender telecaster - not sure which kind - neck. He was going to make a number of them under the brand name Tawny. I realized that this guitar, with its body shape alone, would have probably sold quickly to other guitarists and got him into making guitars full time. Unfortunately, the Tawny line wasn't to be. He couldn't see the potential in it.

Posted by: AmpegVT22 ()
Date: July 7, 2020 10:16

Good luck with that. Celebrity origins do not always make a playable instrument.

I played the 70's 'Skull & Crossbones' 5 string guitar -- made I thought TN Jones, but probably actually by Zemaitis.

It was a dog.

A horrible lumpy instrument. (Loathed by Alan Rogan too, who was as good a judge as anyone).

After languishing for decades it perished I believe,in a fire in LA - which was a mercy. Keith always seems to have been fortunate where Fire and, e.g., Domestic Remodeling are concerned...

Date: July 7, 2020 11:06

AmpegVT22
Good luck with that. Celebrity origins do not always make a playable instrument.

I played the 70's 'Skull & Crossbones' 5 string guitar -- made I thought TN Jones, but probably actually by Zemaitis.

It was a dog.

A horrible lumpy instrument. (Loathed by Alan Rogan too, who was as good a judge as anyone).

After languishing for decades it perished I believe,in a fire in LA - which was a mercy. Keith always seems to have been fortunate where Fire and, e.g., Domestic Remodeling are concerned...

Macabre doesn't sound hard to play on HTW on LYL. You're not talking about the Zemaitis replica?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 7, 2020 11:12

Is it the guitar used for Far Away Eyes in '78 and LSTNT in 81? Oughta be quite heavy ain't it?

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 7, 2020 11:31

What a wonderful Christmas present ... nearly no deal at 80,000 - 120,000 bucks
Hope you get me ;-)

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 7, 2020 11:45

The text is misleading though -on auction is only the body made by TNJ that Keith used in 1978 and some early 1981 shows. The Fender Rosewood neck that Keith used is not part of the auction. The TNJ body was replaced in 1981 by Schecter as the it had the bridge misplaced and couldn't be fixed.

$100K is a lot of money for a wrongly made body, in my opinion.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 7, 2020 11:47

AmpegVT22

It was a dog.

I don't know what you played, but the original Zemaitis guitars I have played were fantastic to play, and in fact part of what makes the guitars so desirable. The electronics are often so-so, but the combination of the wide and flat neck with a fabulous compound neck make them absolutely play like butter.

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 7, 2020 14:54

Mathijs
AmpegVT22

It was a dog.

I don't know what you played, but the original Zemaitis guitars I have played were fantastic to play, and in fact part of what makes the guitars so desirable. The electronics are often so-so, but the combination of the wide and flat neck with a fabulous compound neck make them absolutely play like butter.

Mathijs
Exactly , built by hand and used vintage Gibson PAF pickups . I wish I could afford a vintage Zemaitis .

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: July 7, 2020 18:59

TheGreek
Mathijs
AmpegVT22

It was a dog.

Mathijs
Exactly , built by hand and used vintage Gibson PAF pickups . I wish I could afford a vintage Zemaitis .

I still own my 1992 original vintage Zemaitis. It has no vintage Gibson PAF pickups though for me it's still the finest guitar I ever had.
And I had a few over the last 50 years.
Tony Zemaitis shaped the neck exactly to my specifications - slim and wide.
I'm turning 68 this summer and I think the day will come that I will part from it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home