Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Darryl Jones interview - Guitar World, July 3
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2020 09:18

Cooltoplady
24FPS
More Hot Rocks
Bill never played with soul or heart. Just root notes with an 3rd or octave added. Pretty lame player. Glad he's gone.

Your poor ears. The exact opposite is true. Bill could play one note and give a song emotional depth. Darryl has no emotional depth in his bass playing.

oh yeah like Sympathy, Live With Me, Fingerprint File, Rip This Joint Oh wait, that wasn't Bill. I have to agree with MHR No soul no desire in his playing. Just going through the motions in ever show. He even admitted he never like Stones songs. Can't stand the man or his playing. Glad your gone Bill. Stay that way.

Yeah, like Around and Around, Under My Thumb, Rocks Off, Miss You, Live With Me Live, Start Me Up, 2,000 Light Years From Home, No Expectations, Bitch, etc. Now go ahead and list your favorite Darryl Jones bass parts, the ones that add so much emotion, or propel the band. You know, the memorable Darryl Jones bass parts on Rolling Stones cuts.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 7, 2020 18:36

What’s do great about those? Nothing I here better bass playing by Danny Partidge. Have a good day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-07 20:15 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 7, 2020 20:14

24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
More Hot Rocks
Bill never played with soul or heart. Just root notes with an 3rd or octave added. Pretty lame player. Glad he's gone.

Your poor ears. The exact opposite is true. Bill could play one note and give a song emotional depth. Darryl has no emotional depth in his bass playing.

oh yeah like Sympathy, Live With Me, Fingerprint File, Rip This Joint Oh wait, that wasn't Bill. I have to agree with MHR No soul no desire in his playing. Just going through the motions in ever show. He even admitted he never like Stones songs. Can't stand the man or his playing. Glad your gone Bill. Stay that way.

Yeah, like Around and Around, Under My Thumb, Rocks Off, Miss You, Live With Me Live, Start Me Up, 2,000 Light Years From Home, No Expectations, Bitch, etc. Now go ahead and list your favorite Darryl Jones bass parts, the ones that add so much emotion, or propel the band. You know, the memorable Darryl Jones bass parts on Rolling Stones cuts.

I don’t get either. Hey can put on anything one hit wonder record and hear better bass lines. There is nothing special or creative about any of those bass lines. What did Kieth say all you need is two fingers and an a hole? Maybe he was talking about Billy boy

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: July 7, 2020 22:33

More Hot Rocks
24FPS
Cooltoplady
24FPS
More Hot Rocks

I don’t get either. Hey can put on anything one hit wonder record and hear better bass lines. There is nothing special or creative about any of those bass lines. What did Kieth say all you need is two fingers and an a hole? Maybe he was talking about Billy boy

You and that other person are entitled to your opinion, but why do you both have to be so nasty about it?

Anyway, Darryl never played anything like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-07 22:34 by blivet.

Date: July 7, 2020 22:49

Rather pointless discussion going on here. It's a matter of taste.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 8, 2020 14:15

Great Read! Thanks!

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: July 8, 2020 19:22

It's rock and roll bass playing not cerebral intricate jazz music. Keith and Mick obviously approve and trust him with their songs. In other words it's only rock and roll and they like it. Almost 3 decades of his bass playing and he is still there. Charlie picked him and apparently they work well together. Perhaps another reason for all the critiscm?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-08 19:24 by PhillyFAN.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 8, 2020 19:30

I cannot believe the shit being shoveled onto Bill Wyman. He was THE bass player for the Stones. Listen to his bass riffs live sometimes, always adds an extra zoom to the songs. This Darryl Jones guy may be a nice guy and may be an accomplished player, but he has nothing on Bill Wyman in my book. The guy is an icon and a stable solid player live plus his look always was a counterpoint to the glitz of Jagger. The Stones died in my mind when he quit. Its like they don't even have a bass player these days. Pure boredom on that side of the stage.

jb

Date: July 8, 2020 20:14

jbwelda
I cannot believe the shit being shoveled onto Bill Wyman. He was THE bass player for the Stones. Listen to his bass riffs live sometimes, always adds an extra zoom to the songs. This Darryl Jones guy may be a nice guy and may be an accomplished player, but he has nothing on Bill Wyman in my book. The guy is an icon and a stable solid player live plus his look always was a counterpoint to the glitz of Jagger. The Stones died in my mind when he quit. Its like they don't even have a bass player these days. Pure boredom on that side of the stage.

jb

I would have to agree- Bill Wyman was a lead Bass Player where Daryll Jones is Rythm bass player

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:30

May be on some of the songs Bill did a better job but on others Darryl is better. Why would it be automatically than one is always better?
Both are great players and they both have spent 1000 of hours playing Stones's music and they both have been praised by the band.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:43

TheflyingDutchman

There's no accounting for bad taste.

Darryl plays just fine. He does the job. That's it. That's all he needs to do.

He doesn't play like Bill because he can't. Partly because he's not as good.

Bill had a heave that no one has ever done except Willie Dixon. The Stones have not sounded as good since Bill left except with Jeff Sarli.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 8, 2020 22:44

"He doesn't play like Bill because he can't. Partly because he's not as good."

Maybe he is too good? Virtuosos may not always be the best choice.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 8, 2020 22:46

Adam Clayton would have been a great choice if they could have pried him away from U2

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2020 22:54

MartinB

Perhaps I should've been a bit more selective about it:

He doesn't play like Bill partly because he's not that good.

As in he doesn't play like that, doesn't play bass like Bill Wyman kind of "that".

Virtuoso? That means absolutely nothing. Figure skaters... they're virtuosos, right? At spinning, twirling, jumping etc. But...

You know how many people can play the guitar a shitload better than

Keith
Jimmy
Jimi
Angus
Malcolm
enter next 200 names here

?

THOUSANDS! THOUSANDS of people can play better than any - ANY - of the guitar rock gods.

You see the point?

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 9, 2020 00:06

GasLightStreet
MartinB

Perhaps I should've been a bit more selective about it:

He doesn't play like Bill partly because he's not that good.

As in he doesn't play like that, doesn't play bass like Bill Wyman kind of "that".

Virtuoso? That means absolutely nothing. Figure skaters... they're virtuosos, right? At spinning, twirling, jumping etc. But...

You know how many people can play the guitar a shitload better than

Keith
Jimmy
Jimi
Angus
Malcolm
enter next 200 names here

?

THOUSANDS! THOUSANDS of people can play better than any - ANY - of the guitar rock gods.

You see the point?

Of course, this is precisely what I meant.

Date: July 9, 2020 00:19

GasLightStreet
TheflyingDutchman

There's no accounting for bad taste.

Darryl plays just fine. He does the job. That's it. That's all he needs to do.

He doesn't play like Bill because he can't. Partly because he's not as good.

On the other hand Miles Davis wouldn't have sounded as great with Bill Wyman, because Bill to a certain extend is not as good as Darryl Jones. Appels and oranges. No use in comparing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 00:46 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2020 01:36

Flying Dutch
Appels and oranges. No use in comparing

That's right. And they should have stayed with the apples. They are a rock band, not a jazz quintet. No one would dream of replacing Jagger with a opera singer either...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 01:38 by Stoneage.

Date: July 9, 2020 03:36

It all comes down to feel, and emotion. That's what is important in a Stones song. Bill had feel, and emotion. Darryl does not have a rock feel, or emotion. He fits in with a noodling jazz group. Bill had a distinctive sound. Darryl does not. That's all.

And always remember, Keith himself said Bill was his favorite.

Date: July 9, 2020 03:50

These opinions at just that. Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie obviously
like how he plays bass for the Rolling Stones. If they did not trust him or his interpretations of their songs he would not have lasted for decades. Their opinions are the only ones that matter about who plays bass in their band!I miss Bill too. I miss Mick Taylor but I got over it. I have the choice not to listen or pay to see them with Darryl. I like his playing as well so I listen and pay to see them live with Darryl.No big thing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 9, 2020 04:01

If Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie's opinions are the only ones that matter about who plays bass in their band PhillyFAN, then why give yours?
But since you did, it's great you like Darryl's playing and are willing to pay to see him, but not everyone feels the same and should be allowed to express it just as you did with your opinion.
Bob Dylan thinks they're not the real Rolling Stones without Bill as do others, and while I wouldn't go that far, I can see what they're talking about. They have a replacement that doesn't do the band justice.
Just listen to all their studio recordings since Bill left - nothing about the bass playing stands out or is unique, and it could have been played by anyone. It's bass-by-numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 04:02 by Hairball.

Date: July 9, 2020 13:21

PhillyFAN
like how he plays bass for the Rolling Stones. If they did not trust him or his interpretations of their songs he would not have lasted for decades. Their opinions are the only ones that matter about who plays bass in their band!I miss Bill too. I miss Mick Taylor but I got over it.

They left it to Charlie to decide for Daryll. Correct me if I'm wrong.. And I still miss Taylor, only play Stones music every now and then with him on it. I'm getting old and sour.

smiling smileyRe: Darryl Jones interview - Guitar World, July 3
Date: July 9, 2020 16:04

PhillyFAN
like how he plays bass for the Rolling Stones. If they did not trust him or his interpretations of their songs he would not have lasted for decades. Their opinions are the only ones that matter about who plays bass in their band!I miss Bill too. I miss Mick Taylor but I got over it. I have the choice not to listen or pay to see them with Darryl. I like his playing as well so I listen and pay to see them live with Darryl.No big thing.

Hey Hairball! I don't think I gave an opinion. My point was we all have a choice to listen or not. Which brings me to another thought that I don't really like thinking about. These are not the Rolling Stones that improvise or really rock out. They play big hits over and over. Kinda like an oldies show but very high tech. My heroes are senior citizens like me. I am happy they still tour.
I was fortunate enough to see the
m in 1969 and 1972
when they incredible. No other band could come close. I do think in 2020 who plays bass in a big hits show is just that. Not rocket science. Mick Jagger even made a snarky remark about Bill when he left.
"How hard could be to play bass in the Rolling Stones". I personally believe Darryl could cut loose if he wanted. He is no slouch and plays several genres of music. He knows he is onstage with living
legends and keeps a humble and low profile. Besides I'm sure the money is good and cushy accomodations. He does what he does and the band likes it. No need to stand out. Now that is my humble! Be safe.COVID ain't cute.

Re: smiling smileyRe: Darryl Jones interview - Guitar World, July 3
Date: July 9, 2020 16:20

PhillyFAN
He is no slouch and plays several genres of music. He knows he is onstage with living
legends and keeps a humble and low profile. He does what he does and the band likes it. No need to stand out.

Simple like that.
thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 16:25 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: July 9, 2020 16:27

But he does stand out, on selected numbers like Live With Me, ER and Misz You.

It's the sound he's making that doesn't really cut it for me. Of course he's good, but it surprises me that he doesn't try a more distinct sound, like Bill had.

And he's not really into walking bass smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:53

My personal opinion is that Darryl Jones is just about the most boring bass player I have ever heard. In 30 years with the Stones there isn't one bassline that stands out, that I find interesting, and he just doesn't have any swing at all. And when he's high in the mix his playing is just really obtrusive. That No Security live release is just not listenable due to DJ.

Oh and his tone sucks.

Mathijs

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: July 9, 2020 17:01

Love DJ. His jam on Miss You takes the song to another level. Keith and Ronnie stop and marvel during his "bass lead" and it charges Mick up.
Wished I could have heard Emotional Rescue last year. Loved it on Hyde Park in 2013.
Ronnie must be happy that Darryl is the new guy in the band everybody has started slagging on.
SMH

Date: July 9, 2020 17:03

Hairball
If Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie's opinions are the only ones that matter about who plays bass in their band PhillyFAN, then why give yours?
But since you did, it's great you like Darryl's playing and are willing to pay to see him, but not everyone feels the same and should be allowed to express it just as you did with your opinion.
Bob Dylan thinks they're not the real Rolling Stones without Bill as do others, and while I wouldn't go that far, I can see what they're talking about. They have a replacement that doesn't do the band justice.
Just listen to all their studio recordings since Bill left - nothing about the bass playing stands out or is unique, and it could have been played by anyone. It's bass-by-numbers.

Exactly. Darryl rarely adds anything. If that's him on Living in a Ghost Town, it's not bad. It feels integrated at least. There is a little presence instead of simply being there, like a thousand bass players. And it only took 26 years.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2020 17:39

The least one should expect from a new band member is to quickly blend in. That was what Ronnie did. He didn't add much but, most important, didn't take anything away.
Darryl is better now - but it took some time. For a long time I thought there were two entities on the stage. The band and Darryl. Darryl played his things, the band another.
I always though the choice of Darryl had much to do with image and street cred and such things. Important in show biz.
Charlie choosing him? Well, Charlie always wanted to be a jazz musician. So it makes sense.

Date: July 9, 2020 17:55

StonedAsiaExile
Rockman
I asked Keith, ‘Hey man, did you play bass on this song?’ and he
said ‘Yeah’. I said ‘So what’s the bassline?’ and he was like,
‘I don’t know, man. You’re the bass player, you tell me what the bassline is!’

smileys with beer

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Typical Keith and very funny response!

Does Keith play bass on the studio version of Start Me Up? I know he has played bass on other cuts - So it is odd he would say something like that.

Date: July 9, 2020 19:39

DandelionPowderman
But he does stand out, on selected numbers like Live With Me, ER and Misz You.

It's the sound he's making that doesn't really cut it for me. Of course he's good, but it surprises me that he doesn't try a more distinct sound, like Bill had.

And he's not really into walking bass smiling smiley

His LwM sounds great to me.

His tone is very dry indeed with the Stones.

I don't know either why he choses to sound like that.

He was tested and hired by Miles in midd 8-tees, so no doubt he knows his walking bass stuff.smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home