Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Darryl Jones interview - Guitar World, July 3
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 6, 2020 16:59

Darryl Jones: "The Rolling Stones are pretty cool about letting me play what I want - they trust that I'll find the essence of the songs"

By Joel McIver
July 3, 2020

Paul Charbit/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images

[www.guitarworld.com]

Re: Darryl Jones interview - Guitar World, July 3
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 6, 2020 17:19

He's pretty much had the same answers for these interviews since joining the Stones but this is the most informative interview I've read.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 6, 2020 17:34

Nice! Class act as always.

Date: July 6, 2020 17:36

Yes. Still my guess is that he's basically in it for the money. I prefer Bill or a similar player. Darryl is a jazz player, very good but not for the Stones,imo.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 6, 2020 17:48

"At one rehearsal, I figured out what Bill had played on Respectable,
and I started playing it
, and Mick was like 'Where are you going?’
I said, ‘Well, this is what Bill played on the song’ and he said
‘No no, don’t play that. Play what you hear.’

Unfortunately.

Date: July 6, 2020 17:54

TooTough
"At one rehearsal, I figured out what Bill had played on Respectable,
and I started playing it
, and Mick was like 'Where are you going?’
I said, ‘Well, this is what Bill played on the song’ and he said
‘No no, don’t play that. Play what you hear.’

Unfortunately.

Of course he could 'copy' Bill.

Date: July 6, 2020 18:30

TheflyingDutchman
Yes. Still my guess is that he's basically in it for the money. I prefer Bill or a similar player. Darryl is a jazz player, very good but not for the Stones,imo.

Very ignorant comment

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2020 18:39

Darryl seems a nice guy and is clearly an excellent musician (in the proper environment), but many feel he doesn't quite gel well with the Stones.

“I’m not saying they don’t keep going, but they need Bill. Without him they’re a funk band.
They’ll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back.”
- Bob Dylan

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 6, 2020 19:22

I doubt he could “copy” Bill.

Date: July 6, 2020 19:33

Taylor1

Why not. What’s so hard about playing his bass lines. Nothing. Bill is not a Billy Sheehan Just basic at best.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 6, 2020 19:41

Don't blame Darryl for anything. He's just a hired hand. If he gets a good offer - why should he turn it down? Working with the Stones must be a dream for any professional musician.
More free time than work. Good pay. Travel in first class. See the world. Good for him. Seems like a nice guy altogether.

Whether he was the right choice for The Rolling Stones? That's another question...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 6, 2020 19:46

GasLightStreet
He's pretty much had the same answers for these interviews since joining the Stones

That’s what Keith told him to do smoking smiley

Date: July 6, 2020 21:18

Cooltoplady
Taylor1

Why not. What’s so hard about playing his bass lines. Nothing. Bill is not a Billy Sheehan Just basic at best.

That's like saying it's easy to play like Keith because he's not Yngwee Malmsteen or Steve Vai...nothing hard about Keiths playing...it's basic at best....
While those shredders are technical wizards at guitar playing, a few important gifts they lack are some heart, soul, feel, and overall vibe - things that make Keith (and Bill) unique. original, and as great as they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-06 21:19 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 6, 2020 21:28

I asked Keith, ‘Hey man, did you play bass on this song?’ and he
said ‘Yeah’. I said ‘So what’s the bassline?’ and he was like,
‘I don’t know, man. You’re the bass player, you tell me what the bassline is!’

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 6, 2020 22:13

Hairball
Cooltoplady
Taylor1

That's like saying it's easy to play like Keith because he's not Yngwee Malmsteen or Steve Vai...nothing hard about Keiths playing...it's basic at best....
While those shredders are technical wizards at guitar playing, a few important gifts they lack are some heart, soul, feel, and overall vibe - things that make Keith (and Bill) unique. original, and as great as they are.

Exactly

Date: July 6, 2020 22:25

I would say that is a truism or a cliche: Just because you are technically good at what you are doing you lack soul or feeling. Try that in another trade: Federer is a technically brilliant tennis player
so therefore he probably lacks soul or feeling in his game. But the guy ranked 822 probably knows the inner soul of tennis...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 6, 2020 22:28

Bill never played with soul or heart. Just root notes with an 3rd or octave added. Pretty lame player. Glad he's gone.

Date: July 6, 2020 22:49

Stoneage
I would say that is a truism or a cliche: Just because you are technically good at what you are doing you lack soul or feeling. Try that in another trade: Federer is a technically brilliant tennis player
so therefore he probably lacks soul or feeling in his game. But the guy ranked 822 probably knows the inner soul of tennis...

Tennis is a competitive sport where excelling technically helps accomplish a goal, whereas music is an art form where excelling technically isn't a requirement in order to succeed.
It was just a general observation and not all technical wizards are heartless and soulless, but the two I mentioned are interchangeable to the point of being boring...Joe Satriani is another who fits the bill imo.

Date: July 6, 2020 22:56

Okay, I hear you Hairball. I was just a little bit tired of the cliche. You know, like because you're good at one thing you're bad at another...

Date: July 6, 2020 23:06

The same can be said of the misguided myth that if you're NOT a technical wizard, then your skills/contributions are basic at best and amount to nothing - easy peasy and anyone can do it.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 6, 2020 23:18

Lat's not forget that Mick and Keith asked Charlie to choose a new bass player.
Both set up the 'engine room' as they say.

Of course, Charlie was hesitant about this but Mick + Keith wanted him to make that choice.

So Darryl quite naturally fits in with Charlie! They play well together, IMHO.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 6, 2020 23:20

They've always said they didn't tell people what to play.
Although if Keith didn't like what you played he'd erase it and record it himself.
But it's cool they give him this freedom. They wouldn't have kept him otherwise.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 6, 2020 23:30

Keith is brilliant on rhythm guitar and in a band setting.Steve Vai could not play rhythm like him just like Joe Satriani didn’t when he was with Jagger

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 6, 2020 23:34

So if you think that Darryl is not "really" the right choice for the Stones, you believe that you know better than the Rolling Stones what is good the band?
Ok good for you because I feel that they know better than me what is good for them.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: July 6, 2020 23:36

Waterrats
So Darryl quite naturally fits in with Charlie! They play well together, IMHO

I don't think so, Waterrats. I don't even think Darryl is a rock and roll guitarist. His forte is jazz and soul. Maybe funk. Poor decision by Charlie (if it was him...).
I can't help thinking image had something to do with the decision. Like in Ron's case in the seventies. I guess they were looking for street cred or something.
Don't get me wrong. Darryl is a brilliant musician.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-07 00:10 by Stoneage.

Date: July 6, 2020 23:47

Taylor1
Keith is brilliant on rhythm guitar and in a band setting.Steve Vai could not play rhythm like him just like Joe Satriani didn’t when he was with Jagger

Jimmy Rip played "Keith" on those tours. But you're right. Satriani would never been able to limit himself or chose the sound to get it right had he attempted to do Keith's parts.

Rip did a pretty good job, though. You can tell he's a real fan.

Date: July 7, 2020 00:18

Yep, Rip is a very good guitarist. Of course he is not Keith. Only Keith is Keith. Rip was very good in that one-off MJ gig in NYC (was it in 1993?)
It must have been a novelty for Jagger to completely trust and lean on a lead guitarist in that way...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2020 04:01

More Hot Rocks
Bill never played with soul or heart. Just root notes with an 3rd or octave added. Pretty lame player. Glad he's gone.

Your poor ears. The exact opposite is true. Bill could play one note and give a song emotional depth. Darryl has no emotional depth in his bass playing.

Date: July 7, 2020 04:14

24FPS
More Hot Rocks

Your poor ears. The exact opposite is true. Bill could play one note and give a song emotional depth. Darryl has no emotional depth in his bass playing.

oh yeah like Sympathy, Live With Me, Fingerprint File, Rip This Joint Oh wait, that wasn't Bill. I have to agree with MHR No soul no desire in his playing. Just going through the motions in ever show. He even admitted he never like Stones songs. Can't stand the man or his playing. Glad your gone Bill. Stay that way.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 7, 2020 04:38

Rockman
I asked Keith, ‘Hey man, did you play bass on this song?’ and he
said ‘Yeah’. I said ‘So what’s the bassline?’ and he was like,
‘I don’t know, man. You’re the bass player, you tell me what the bassline is!’

smileys with beer

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Typical Keith and very funny response!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home