Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: What are the best recommended David Bowie live albums?
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: July 7, 2020 10:37

Ziggy Stardust at his best and his 'final' performance as Ziggy in 1973.

Bowie during his Diamond Dogs phase. Not his best live performance, but it's interesting to hear his transition from Ziggy to this. The latest remaster aren't good though. Guitars are way too much in the background.

I prefer this one above David Live. Same period and tour, but different energy. Although Bowie was totally 'coked up' here. You can hear it in his voice.

Real good concert. Good energy. Little bit dark, but hey...that's the thin white duke! ;-)

I don't prefer Stage or Serious Moonlight. Not really my favorite period of Bowie.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 7, 2020 15:04

Deleted:
I overlooked the word "live".
I would not be able to come up
with anything in the live category.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-07 15:11 by Chacho.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 7, 2020 16:49

David Bowie 1978 Musikladen Bremen

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: July 7, 2020 17:12

I love Welcome to the Blackout mainly because of the rare live version of Sound and Vision.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 7, 2020 20:43

Despite being recorded only 10 weeks apart and having an almost identical track list, its amazing how different the band sounds on 'Stage' and 'Welcome to the Blackout'. Personally I prefer 'Stage' (especially the expanded reissue that has the songs in the order they were performed)

'Cracked Actor' knocks spots off 'David Live'. Its a different tour leg, but the performance is superior.

The Nassau '76 one is my favourite though. First heard it on a bootleg around 1980 and it was always one I felt deserved an official release.

Of the others, the 'Reality Tour' release from Dublin 2003 is really good. A somewhat bittersweet one for me as I hadnt seen Bowie since 1987 (he played Belfast for the only time in 1995 but I had to give my ticket away as I was riddled with the flu) and wanted to see this show only I was too skint after going to so many shows on the Stones' Licks tour in August/September! I never got another chance to see him.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 8, 2020 03:36

That Nassau Coliseum '76 show is aces. Of the two '78 sets, I prefer Welcome to the Blackout, even though Belew gets painfully out of tune in Rebel Rebel. Cracked Actor gets the nod for the '74 sets, thanks to the addition of Carlos Alomar. Santa Monica '72 is badly mixed: Ronson waaay too low.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 8, 2020 04:22

Great suggestions by everyone and I agree with them all as being great documents for Bowie as he was constantly evolving as was his music.

I am a big Ziggy era fan and while the Ziggy soundtrack is a good to have for an official recording it is not complete as Jeff Beck guested on several songs and would not allow Bowie to include them on the soundtrack. Also I have read that there were overdubs done in the studio to fatten the sound so not completely "live".

There is an excellent complete SB bootleg that comes from sound engineer Robin Mayhew that is raw and includes the Beck songs. Highly recommended

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 8, 2020 04:37

One overlooked 'live' release is 'Bowie at the Beeb - The BBC Recordings 1968-72'.

While there is no audience and there are some overdubs, the tracks are essentially live in the BBC studio. The band is raw and ready, and Bowie's voice is still in top shape here (even by '73 there were signs of deterioration).

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 8, 2020 09:02

If you are looking into the 78 tour I strongly suggest the more dynamic sounding Welcome To The Balckout over the flat, stilted sound on any version of Stage.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 8, 2020 12:48

JMARKO
If you are looking into the 78 tour I strongly suggest the more dynamic sounding Welcome To The Balckout over the flat, stilted sound on any version of Stage.

I have DVD audio of "Stage" that sounds way better.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 8, 2020 14:24

The Serious Moonlight shows from Montreal are great and were available on Wolfgang's Vault. It used to be free but that site is now commercial.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 8, 2020 14:29

Nassau Colosseum - without a shadow of a doubt.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 8, 2020 15:28

Santa Monica 72
Milton Keynes 90 of course, aired by BBC (find "all time model" boot)
Dublin 1995 SDB
Olympia 2000 (video and audio)
changes now - recently out is a MUST

2003 reality sounds fake live

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home