Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Remi Kabaka and Stones
Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: July 5, 2020 01:24

Does anyone know what Stones tracks Remi Kabaka played on? I believe he played with the Stones, and also on Mick Jagger solo work. He is a Nigerian drummer who also played with Steve Winwood, Paul McCartney, Ginger Baker and Paul Simon among others. Any info would be appreciated! He is not to be confused with Rocky Dijon who played on Sympathy, or Reebop Kwaku Baah, who played with Traffic and on Goats Head Soup... Thanks!

Re: Remi Kabaka and Stones
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 5, 2020 03:14

Via [www.nzentgraf.de] - on Nov.2, 2002, he played percussion on Sympathy at the Anaheim stadium show (formerly Edison Field).
I was at that show, but have to say I don't recall any special guest percussionists as it was nearly 20 years ago and I saw quite a few of shows that tour...
Other than that, can't find any other Stones related info. about him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-05 06:46 by Hairball.

Date: July 5, 2020 05:23

Thanks for this info! Very interesting. I was at the Halloween show at Staples in 2002 but missed this one... I think that Remi also played on some Stones album tracks and Mick Jagger solo tracks but don't know which ones... He played on Paul McCartney's Band on the Run album which was recorded in Lagos, Nigeria...

Date: July 5, 2020 05:29

Here's some info from an article about him...

The original African musicians who came to the U.S. helped pave the way, and a perfect example of such a musician is Remi Kabaka, who is one of Afro-rock's avant-garde drummers. In the early '70's, he laid the initial drum patterns that created the Afro-rock sounds in bands such as Ginger Baker's Airforce, the Rolling Stones, and Steve Winwood's Traffic. He worked with Winwood, Paul McCartney (of the Beatles and Wings), and Mick Jagger (of the Rolling Stones) in the '70's, and now has a home in Lagos and another in New York (Highet 3,18). What made Remi different from other African ensemble musicians was his dedication to promoting African music, not just playing 'African-sounding' music for others. His quest to spread 'highlife' (a type of African) music started a long time ago. By 1984, he had seen European kids finally playing African music: 'They have congas and timbales, they even play African chords' (18,19). When Remi played in the '70's, companies didn't know how to market African music; it was a bad business market. For example, companies would say 'yes' to musicians like him, the band would work in awful conditions to produce an album, and then the companies would back out. Now, however, Remi plays in Albert Hall (a prominent London concert hall ) and makes highlife crusades in Europe. He turns on Capital Radio and hears 'African-style music.' And even though it's becoming fashionable now, it was due in part to the work of pioneers like him.

Kabaka could have melted into the international scene quite easily by doing disco, or staying a sessionman or ace drummer. But he always kept to the goal of African music, and fronted risky bands with African sounds. In 1985, Kabaka was doing more albums with Winwood and was also playing with the famous Osibisa (his group). Kabaka acknowledges the important place of native Africans in the development of African fusion; according to him, his work in America with legendary flugelhornist Hugh Masekela cannot just be duplicated by interested American musicians, even African-Americans who 'have usually been playing jazz and funk so long, they've lost that African vibe.'

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 5, 2020 07:01

roundnround
Thanks for this info! Very interesting. I was at the Halloween show at Staples in 2002 but missed this one... I think that Remi also played on some Stones album tracks and Mick Jagger solo tracks but don't know which ones... He played on Paul McCartney's Band on the Run album which was recorded in Lagos, Nigeria...

I was also at that show. thumbs up

Found this 25 minute interview from 2014, and not only does he mention playing at the Anaheim show 2002, but also the Staples Center Halloween show a couple nights earlier...you've also seen him live with the Stones!
He also mentions playing live with the Stones at Copocabana Beach, Brazil 2006. > Remi Kabaka — Interviewed by Danny Holloway (02.12.14)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-05 07:10 by Hairball.

Date: July 5, 2020 08:19

Thanks! Very interesting interview...

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 5, 2020 18:05

Wasn't he in late period Traffic, i.e Where The Eagle Flies ?

Date: July 6, 2020 01:32

That was a different African drummer, Rebop Kwaku Baah, who played with Traffic. He also reportedly played on Goats Head Soup, and also at Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert in 1973...

Rebop

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 6, 2020 21:03

I was at those 2002 gigs and don't remember seeing this guy, hearing him play, or him being introduced. And I wasn't THAT messed up. smileys with beer

Date: July 7, 2020 03:32

video: [www.youtube.com]

Pretty sure Rocky, Remi and Rebop are all playing here, at the Stones concert in Hyde Park in 1969, on Sympathy for the Devil. I think Rocky is the one in the light brown sweater...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home