Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: A short history of the Sony Walkman
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 30, 2020 18:43

Nice little read about the history of the Walkman. I still have a tape playing Walkman, a CD Walkman and various MP3/digital Walkman's. To my ears, the sound of the digital Walkman is far better than an iPod, iPhone or other cell phones and MP3 players, though, I am sure there are higher end players that sound better than the Walkman.

[www.newyorker.com]

Re: OT: A short history of the Sony Walkman
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2020 21:46

dmay
Nice little read about the history of the Walkman. I still have a tape playing Walkman, a CD Walkman and various MP3/digital Walkman's. To my ears, the sound of the digital Walkman is far better than an iPod, iPhone or other cell phones and MP3 players, though, I am sure there are higher end players that sound better than the Walkman.

[www.newyorker.com]

I've been reading - and going back to read again - the Steve Jobs book. It's amazing, really, how he really spearheaded the changes that we are now used to, including the dismantling and ruination of the music industry and the quality of how music is listened to.

I have a CD player... it still works.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 30, 2020 22:18

GasLightStreet
dmay

[www.newyorker.com]

I've been reading - and going back to read again - the Steve Jobs book. It's amazing, really, how he really spearheaded the changes that we are now used to, including the dismantling and ruination of the music industry and the quality of how music is listened to.

Well, the MP3 and trading via Napster and Limewire etc. opened the floodgates of change, there was no going back. Jobs just harnessed it into purchasable product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-30 22:19 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 30, 2020 22:19

Thanks for posting, I had a few Sony walkman’s back in the day and still listen to cassettes daily and lucky me, I picked up a Panasonic reverse walkman last year on a Berlin market for 7 euros, to keep me going on my racing bike

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 30, 2020 23:15

"First digital-music player [...] Sony failed to exploit the niche" - because Sony believed vastly in his MiniDisc instead of the stormy development of HardDisk-Drives and Flash-Memory.

Sony even failed to bring the MiniDisc as successor of the 3.5" Floppy-Disk ....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 30, 2020 23:38

i had a cassette sony walkman ... i got so much use out of that thing!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 30, 2020 23:48

I first though was who the F... Is Sony Walkman grinning smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 1, 2020 00:15

NICOS

I first though was who the F... Is Sony Walkman grinning smiley

And I thought: "who the F... Is Sony" ? Wasn't it a trick? It's not a Sony (anymore) .... winking smiley

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 1, 2020 10:47

"Mick won't see anyone half an hour before the show, so don't bring him along. Tony King, personal manager, had reminded me of this.
However, Sony Founder Akio Morita arrived at the Tokyo Dome backstage 15 minutes before the show!.

Even though Tony King told me so, I couldn't help but tell him because the guest was "MR. SONY".
It was just before the show and I thought it would be impossible, but to my surprise, Mick came out to say hello!
And this was the first thing he said as he shook his hand.

"Don't scold my parents."

As soon as I heard it, what was he going to say? I thought. But what Mick said is this.

"Please don't scold my parents for their lack of discipline in their son. I know it's not polite to be dressed like this to meet a gentleman, but I had to change my attire to go on stage."

I got goosebumps. I was moved by these phrases.
A lot has been said about Mick Jagger's greatness as a rock musician and creator, and I'm sure he is, but don't you think this is an episode about his upbringing, his character and his education?
It was a great greeting, with Mick's gentlemanly cultivation and a bit of Britishness, and a bit of sarcasm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-01 10:51 by Toru A.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 1, 2020 17:49

Good one ToruA!

One of the things that the article doesn't recall is that at the time the global market did not exist.

Nowadays we are used to be able to buy anything anywhare the minute a new product is released.

Back then, one had no idea what was cooking on the other side of the world!

For as long as my grandmother was alive, every year my mom took me (and my brother) to visit her from Italy to Australia.

I can still remember those stops in Singapore: the duty free was fantasy land! Not only the walkmans: all kind of fancy electronics, the TVs, the betamax videocam with its micro cassette (comapred to the huge VHS). It was like being in a science fiction film!

Remember the faces of my school mates when I arrived with my fresh new Sony WM 20: they couldn't believe it! I had a walkman that was the size of a cassette when the smallest you could buy in Italy was 3 times as big!

Ah, and I also remember all the articles on how dangerous headphones were!

Today we should all be death!

C

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 1, 2020 21:12

TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
dmay

[www.newyorker.com]

Well, the MP3 and trading via Napster and Limewire etc. opened the floodgates of change, there was no going back. Jobs just harnessed it into purchasable product.

There is a bit in the book about how the record labels were completely clueless as to how to handle the change. Specifically Sony and their products. Jobs basically thought they were ridiculous. It's pretty amazing how he pretty much single handedly changed the record industry, originally eschewing the idea of streaming, which, of course, is now how most music is "consumed".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2020 22:41

Toru A
"Mick won't see anyone half an hour before the show, so don't bring him along. Tony King, personal manager, had reminded me of this.
However, Sony Founder Akio Morita arrived at the Tokyo Dome backstage 15 minutes before the show!.

Even though Tony King told me so, I couldn't help but tell him because the guest was "MR. SONY".
It was just before the show and I thought it would be impossible, but to my surprise, Mick came out to say hello!
And this was the first thing he said as he shook his hand.

"Don't scold my parents."

As soon as I heard it, what was he going to say? I thought. But what Mick said is this.

"Please don't scold my parents for their lack of discipline in their son. I know it's not polite to be dressed like this to meet a gentleman, but I had to change my attire to go on stage."

I got goosebumps. I was moved by these phrases.
A lot has been said about Mick Jagger's greatness as a rock musician and creator, and I'm sure he is, but don't you think this is an episode about his upbringing, his character and his education?
It was a great greeting, with Mick's gentlemanly cultivation and a bit of Britishness, and a bit of sarcasm.

brilliant. so often accused of being remote, or lacking heart but I agree, this is indicative of his sense of culture, diplomacy, and perhaps most of all respect for his audience, whomever and how ever many there should be.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 1, 2020 23:02

I miss making cassette mix tapes. You could do a lot more things with them than you can with a burned CD. You could pot a song down that was going on too long. You could add little spurts of conversation, like from South Park, in between songs. You could boost the cassette deck a bit when the source song didn't have enough dynamics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home