Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ruby Tuesday (Rock and Roll Circus Rehearsals) 8th dec. 1968
Date: July 13, 2020 11:30

I love Brian, I love the Brian-era and I love his contributions to flesh out the sound of the real Rolling Stones.

Then again, it's simply not true that the songs were 'nothing' without him, as some people claim. That's borderline conspiratorial, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-13 11:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 13, 2020 16:47

Mathijs

Unfortunately, His Majesty's work on showing what Brian played did point out that Brian's contribution to RnR Circus was horrendous. Even to the extent that you can clearly understand the Stones wanted to sack him -here you are, the wold leading rock band of the day, spending loads of money on a movie project, and there's your guitar player being totally wasted and not being able to play even the most simple guitar chords.

Mathijs

Horrendous is exaggerating... it shows it was very basic playing, but so is Bill's bass playing for most of it. Bill flubs a lot, but no attacking commentary on that? As always, different rules for Brian.

The R&R Circus does make clear though that Brian needs to move on and the band needs a new guitar player. Things did move on and on to someone else that Mathijs likes to moan about. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 13, 2020 16:55

...and finally they got the new Pablo Picasso

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 13, 2020 17:04

His Majesty
Mathijs

Unfortunately, His Majesty's work on showing what Brian played did point out that Brian's contribution to RnR Circus was horrendous. Even to the extent that you can clearly understand the Stones wanted to sack him -here you are, the wold leading rock band of the day, spending loads of money on a movie project, and there's your guitar player being totally wasted and not being able to play even the most simple guitar chords.

Mathijs

Horrendous is exaggerating... it shows it was very basic playing, but so is Bill's bass playing for most of it. Bill flubs a lot, but no attacking commentary on that? As always, different rules for Brian.

The R&R Circus does make clear though that Brian needs to move on and the band needs a new guitar player. Things did move on and on to someone else that Mathijs likes to moan about. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I find Brian's part on YGAGWYW terrible. Is terrible better than horrendous?

I never noticed Bill's mistakes to be honest, and actually I do not recall any real mistakes of Bill in his 33 years of playing with the Stones. Oh yes, perhaps Philly 81, but that was the entire band playing songs they didn't know.

I don't moan about Taylor, what he did in 1972 and 1973 live still amazes me. I moan about people who think the Stones were so good because of Taylor, or that he deserved writing credits. And I do moan about Taylor and his manager because in my opinion they wasted such a brilliant guitart player.

Mathijs

Date: July 13, 2020 17:09

stonesstein

I could not agree with Dandelion more! After the slide on No Expectations, nothing that Brian did was fundamental. It is so funny how people try to "romanticize" his contributions from late 68 and early 69 as somehow worthy of anything other than "how sad".

Sad indeed. Brian was seemingly done being a proactive contributing member of The Rolling Stones by summer 1968. There's no real playing to hear from the final year of his life.

Date: July 13, 2020 17:29

Mathijs

I don't moan about Taylor... I do moan about Taylor...

Mathijs

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: July 13, 2020 18:47

His Majesty
stonesstein

I could not agree with Dandelion more! After the slide on No Expectations, nothing that Brian did was fundamental. It is so funny how people try to "romanticize" his contributions from late 68 and early 69 as somehow worthy of anything other than "how sad".

Sad indeed. Brian was seemingly done being a proactive contributing member of The Rolling Stones by summer 1968. There's no real playing to hear from the final year of his life.

It is true, Unfortunately

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 18, 2020 20:03

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 18, 2020 20:46

Bjorn
[www.youtube.com]

Great informative interview with Pete Townshend!
The tiger was the inspiration for Alan Aldridge's "never used poster" of The Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus. What Happened confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1675
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home