Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Stones threaten Trump campaigns with legal action
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 1, 2020 22:20

..."the unauthorized use of their songs will constitute a breach of its licensing agreement. If Donald Trump disregards the exclusion and persists, then he would face a lawsuit for breaking the embargo and playing music that has not been licensed.”

“The Trump campaign has a Political Entities License which authorizes the public performance of more than 15 million musical works in BMI’s repertoire wherever campaign events occur,” a BMI spokesperson told Deadline. “There is a provision, however, that allows BMI to exclude musical works from the license if a songwriter or publisher objects to its use by a campaign. BMI has received such an objection and sent a letter notifying the Trump campaign that the Rolling Stones’ works have been removed from the campaign license, and advising the campaign that any future use of these musical compositions will be in breach of its license agreement with BMI.”

“One or more works or catalogs of works by one or more BMI songwriters may be excluded from this license if notice is received by BMI that such songwriters object to the use of their copyrighted works for the intended uses by licensee. BMI shall provide written notice to licensee of any such exclusion”

The Stones did tell him to stop using it in 2016 as well. That request was ignored. For whatever reason nothing was done about it as far as is known publicly.

[deadline.com]

Date: July 1, 2020 22:31

GasLightStreet

The Stones did tell him to stop using it in 2016 as well. That request was ignored. For whatever reason nothing was done about it as far as is known publicly.

Could be that Trump asked his lawyers how to act legally i.e. asked advice? Anyone with such an important function would do that. At least Trump's lawyers are not stupid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-01 22:32 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 1, 2020 22:33

Excuse my cynicism, but I remember Mick expressing outrage that Microsoft used Start Me Up in its early Windows ads (because of the "start" button), and then years later I read that Mick had signed off on the whole thing from the start (for a nice fee). This might similarly be for mere public consumption.

Tina Fey said she just pulled a few reruns of 30 ROCK because some actors wore blackface in them. I'm bracing for future SOME GIRLS pressings to have the "black girls" line scrambled the way some bowdlerized pressings of GOATS HEAD SOUP have the "I bet you keep your p*ssy clean" line scrambled.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2020 22:33

Braincapers
I despise Trump as much as the next man but even if I liked him I’d understand their decision. Trump is hated by millions around the world. Allowing him to use their songs without complaint looks like tacit support and that’s bad for business.

Hadn't even considered it in strict business terms but that would also totally make sense.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 1, 2020 23:25

Title5Take1
Excuse my cynicism, but I remember Mick expressing outrage that Microsoft used Start Me Up in its early Windows ads (because of the "start" button), and then years later I read that Mick had signed off on the whole thing from the start (for a nice fee). This might similarly be for mere public consumption.

Tina Fey said she just pulled a few reruns of 30 ROCK because some actors wore blackface in them. I'm bracing for future SOME GIRLS pressings to have the "black girls" line scrambled the way some bowdlerized pressings of GOATS HEAD SOUP have the "I bet you keep your p*ssy clean" line scrambled.
I read at that time the Stones recieved one million dollars for the right to use SMU.

Date: July 1, 2020 23:40

treaclefingers
Braincapers
I despise Trump as much as the next man but even if I liked him I’d understand their decision. Trump is hated by millions around the world. Allowing him to use their songs without complaint looks like tacit support and that’s bad for business.

Hadn't even considered it in strict business terms but that would also totally make sense.

There is something beyond absurd happening. Opinion now has all the weight while facts are ignored and considered fake. Opinion and its volume now can sway cities into people "taking over" areas. Opinion is the new value, the new currency, of everything. 2020... 20pini20n.

Dixie Beer in New Orleans is changing its name because... the French word Dix, which means ten, is... racist, somehow. It became to be a nickname for the region. Is it racist?

What's next?

All houses built before (enter whatever date makes you happy here) need to be torn down? Everything that's advanced past (enter date here that makes you happy) because it shouldn't exist? 200 or 300 year old trees should be cut down?

If that's the case, the United States needs to delete itself and everyone needs to trace their lineage and "go back" where they "came from" (the term "native American" is strictly reserved for those people that came from Asia that were in North America originally - not people that are born in North America, hence the reason why white people don't call themselves European/Americans nor Native American but... Caucasian or white). I guess.

White people, as far as I know, started to call black people in North America African/American even though... black North Americans born in North America are not from Africa the same way white North Americans born in North America are not from Europe.

What do black people in England/UK/Europe call themselves?

Maybe some reading this in Europe etc don't know or understand but there are people in the United States, white people, that tell black people (as well as derogatory names), "go back to Africa" etc.

That's beyond hatred. Why the hell do people think and feel that way?

There are 7.795 billion people on the planet. As far as I know I only have a problem with 2 of them for certain. As in, personally. Not liking someone you don't know is one thing...

Some of it is very confusing, what's going on in the United States.

So much anger.

So much hatred.

So much stupidity.

So much arrogance.

So much ignorance.

What's bizarre is how ignorant a lot of white people seem to be/are to what's going on (and somehow can not understand what "white privilege" is - even when it's shown to them over and over and over and gets nicknames). It's very very weird. That saying about not learning from the past... it seems to come around even bigger and louder again and again and again... and the deafer get deafer. It's amazing. Truly amazing.

So there are knee jerk reactions (SEE! WE'RE PAYING ATTENTION!!!!) that in some cases no one (there is no 100% way to know that, right? Most?)... seemed to ever have an issue with.

It reminds me of 'there's no accounting for taste'.

This article is excellent about a part of it (can someone please explain just what the hell this word "maths" means? Who the hell talks like that? Maths? WHAT THE HELL IS MATHS?):

Not all woke capitalists are companies. Some are individuals. You might have seen the incredibly disturbing video of a white woman cowering and crying as she is filmed by a man with a record of calling people racist as a prank. He claimed she gave him the finger at the traffic lights, and that he followed her home. Later, once a crowd had gathered, he claimed she called him the n-word. It was a classic “Karen” video: he portrayed her as a snooty white women aware of her social power over a black man.

The man involved in that video, which had 11.5 million views, immediately started selling merch. It was based on the phrases she whimpered as she confronted both the physical threat of a man who had followed her home, and the foreknowledge that she was going to be the latest Karen served up for the internet’s evisceration.

[helenlewis.substack.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 1, 2020 23:51

Doxa
I think mostly the problem is among the conservative people - for them it is simply confusing or annoying that the music or art in general they like is actually done from a rather liberal point of view, and it generally promotes liberalism.

What does even liberal mean today? It means one thing in the USA and another thing in Europe. To start with. In Sweden, for instance, all the political parties could be described as liberal (except one). From socio-liberal on the left to neo-liberal on the right. Liberalism could also be described as pro-establishment these days. Hardly left-wing at all. And strangely enough the only political opposition to the liberal consensus comes from the far right now. At least here in Europe (USA has Sanders; which is a peculiar twist of fate).

Doxa
So the reaction, as I've seen for example here, with the conservative block digging the Stones has been: it is just music, entertainment, an aesthetic pleasure - nothing to do with anything else

They are right in a way. The Rolling Stones has never been a political group. Not even in the late sixties. It was just the times. The late sixties was a political time. In Europe and elsewhere. These day they charge a lot for the the tickets and their VIP audience are big corporations. And the leader of the group is just as neo-liberal as anyone can get. He puts Alan Greenspan in the shadow (they are both KBE by the way, a very liberal thing...).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 2, 2020 04:27

iraq0708
Title5Take1

I read at that time the Stones recieved one million dollars for the right to use SMU.

Thats the lowest figure I've ever read. The rumours at the time were that it was about 10-15 times as much.

The real figure has since been confirmed at around $3 million.

[www.networkworld.com]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 2, 2020 06:06

As per Start Me Up/Microsoft: I recall a big number at the time, but Mick still acted like it got away from him. He said something like, "This will never happen again!"

Mick can be a BSer. For the EXILE reissue, Mick first did a MOJO interview (England) in which he was obviously hoping to pass off everything on every "outtake" as having been recorded in the 70s. But MOJO did its research and the interviewer had evidence that some stuff on the reissue had been recently recorded.

When Mick next did his American interviews, he was upfront that some of the recordings were recent (because he'd been caught!). Hey, part of his bad-boy charm?? You decide.

Date: July 2, 2020 10:06

Gazza
iraq0708
Title5Take1

Thats the lowest figure I've ever read. The rumours at the time were that it was about 10-15 times as much.

The real figure has since been confirmed at around $3 million.

[www.networkworld.com]

I've looked for the Mick outrage but haven't found anything other than... it was confirmed to be $3 million. Songfacts, as usual, is wrong and has it listed as $10 million.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 2, 2020 14:53

GasLightStreet

This article is excellent about a part of it (can someone please explain just what the hell this word "maths" means? Who the hell talks like that? Maths? WHAT THE HELL IS MATHS?):

Mathematics. The term 'Math' is a US expression. In the UK we say 'maths' - NEVER 'math'.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 2, 2020 15:04

GasLightStreet

Funny......the first time I heard the expression 'math', I thought, "listen, forget the maths mate, you wanna learn to speak English first..............cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-02 16:07 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 2, 2020 18:43

EddieByword
GasLightStreet

Funny......the first time I heard the expression 'math', I thought, "listen, forget the maths mate, you wanna learn to speak English first..............cool smiley

I always wondered why, if it is called "Maths" (and not "Math")....then why isn't it "Histories" (rather than "History")

anybody? anybody? Bueller?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 2, 2020 18:47

stickyfingers101
EddieByword
GasLightStreet

I always wondered why, if it is called "Maths" (and not "Math")....then why isn't it "Histories" (rather than "History")

Sorry, no clue - like Tomarto / Tomayto I suppose...........Hmmmmm just a thought.........Maybe - It's mathematics therefore maths.....?

Not that it adds to that but I think history was originally His story

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-02 18:48 by EddieByword.

Date: July 2, 2020 19:57

Gazza
GasLightStreet

Mathematics. The term 'Math' is a US expression. In the UK we say 'maths' - NEVER 'math'.

That makes no sense at all - a shortened version of a word is plural? That's ridiculous!

Date: July 2, 2020 20:05

EddieByword
stickyfingers101
EddieByword
GasLightStreet

Sorry, no clue - like Tomarto / Tomayto I suppose...........Hmmmmm just a thought.........Maybe - It's mathematics therefore maths.....?

Not that it adds to that but I think history was originally His story

Tomato... that's pronunciation, of which, for example, the plant Liriope: many people say Leereeope, and some even say Larryeeoh... yet the correct/official pronunciation is Luhryeohpee.

It could be an issue with where I live because a lot of things are pronounced technically wrong. Calliope Street is pronounced Caleeope, not... the way the instrument is pronounced.

All of which has nothing to do with taking a long word and making it short, which never pluralizes it as far as I've ever seen.

“math” is more consistent with the way English speakers abbreviate disciplines like economics (econ) and linguistics (ling).

[slate.com]

The pluralization shortcut is ridiculous, regardless.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 2, 2020 20:12

On topic please.

Bjornulf

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 2, 2020 22:32

Well, BV..at least we aren't arguing about "Vinyls"....LOL...smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 2, 2020 22:58

Maybe Trump will try to use Jagger’sLets Work,since over 4million jobs were created in the United States in June which is the most in one month in the history of the country

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 2, 2020 23:12

Taylor1
Maybe Trump will try to use Jagger’sLets Work,since over 4million jobs were created in the United States in June which is the most in one month in the history of the country

Or Thru and Thru because he’ll be through in November

Date: July 3, 2020 00:13

Braincapers
Taylor1

Or Thru and Thru because he’ll be through in November
We shall see

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 3, 2020 00:21

Taylor1

Bless your heart.
Wonder how many of those "created" jobs were just people RETURNING to work?

Just kidding.. I don't wonder.
The answer is ALL of them of course, due to 36 million lost by pretending the virus was "fake news" and would just magically "disappear". Lol.
[www.forbes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-03 00:22 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 3, 2020 01:54

BV, thank you for for not shutting this thread down, as long as people stay polite and on-topic; not political.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 3, 2020 21:37

stickyfingers101
EddieByword
GasLightStreet

Because Maths is short for Mathematics, not Mathematic. History isn't short for anything.

Posted by: Ali ()
Date: July 3, 2020 21:47

Lady Jayne
stickyfingers101
EddieByword
GasLightStreet

Because Maths is short for Mathematics, not Mathematic. History isn't short for anything.

Indeed.
Do the physics

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: July 3, 2020 21:58

Was just listening to YCAGWYW from Atlantic City 89 and was wondering if anything new is going on with this lawsuit: nope!

Date: July 3, 2020 23:19

This concept of politicians creating jobs is mostly an illusion. It's business cycles that creates or loses jobs. Economical trends.Interest rates. Supply and demand.
For politicians is mostly down to luck whether more jobs are created or not. And statistics can't always be trusted either. There are many ways to measure economics.
One thing you can trust though: All the politicians claiming they can create jobs.

Date: July 4, 2020 17:18

Stoneage
This concept of politicians creating jobs is mostly an illusion. It's business cycles that creates or loses jobs. Economical trends.Interest rates. Supply and demand.
For politicians is mostly down to luck whether more jobs are created or not. And statistics can't always be trusted either. There are many ways to measure economics.
One thing you can trust though: All the politicians claiming they can create jobs.
Baloney.If governments don’t have a policy of re-education these workers for new jobs,no businesses cycle matters.If government sallow greedy corporations to ship allthe country’s manufacturing jobs overseas ,business cycles won’t bring them back ormatter.If governments choke small businessescompetition and innovation with high taxes business cycles won’t matter.If a country allows all its technology to be stolen by foreign countries,business cycles won’t bring back tech jobs

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 4, 2020 17:31

Why is so difficult for some people to stay ON THE TOPIC?
(You know who you are.)

ROLLING STONES
THREATEN
TRUMP CAMPAIGN
WITH LEGAL ACTION

Date: July 4, 2020 17:41

Okay, Taylor 1. Let's phrase it like this: Jobs are created in the market and there are a lot of factors involved which creates jobs in the end. Like innovations, education and economical factors.
Some politicians like to credited for that even though it is seldom down to their work. Let's leave it there.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home