Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Stones threaten Trump campaigns with legal action
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 29, 2020 03:52

Herald Sun / Advertiser / Age ..... 29 June 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 29, 2020 03:53

jahisnotdead
This isn't new news. It's well known that Trump's been using their music and the music of others that don't agree with him politically at his rallies for years, and there's nothing that the Stones or anyone else can do about it except make their displeasure publicly known.

If there truly was some legal remedy, it would have been taken by now. All the Stones can do is threaten and get headlines so people know that they aren't actively authorizing Trump's use of their music or endorsing Trump. But they can't stop him.

It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

This. Mr. Trump knows they can't actually do anything, and probably enjoys the powerful feeling of being able to annoy them (and other musicians) so much. The threats of legal action are basically damage control, to make sure that everyone knows that YCAGWYW isn't being played at Trump rallies because they want it to be.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 29, 2020 04:00

Isnt that song controlled by ABKCO? If so, the Rolling Stones may not have a whole lot to say about it other than publicly distancing themselves from his using it so as not to appear to support him. And I am not so sure the Stones are against any political use of their songs, just maybe THIS use of their songs.

jb

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: June 29, 2020 04:26

Im glad the band is doing this

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 29, 2020 04:44

I'll only generate more headlines for DT. Marketing 101.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-29 04:44 by Koen.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 29, 2020 06:08

jahisnotdead
Well, technically they could drop a new album in October with a big anti-Trump single leading it off, but what's the chance of that happening? smoking smiley

That's Roger Waters' job

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 29, 2020 06:17

>more headlines for DT

Sad but true. Its amazing really. The f'in teflon don.

jb

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 29, 2020 07:56

Koen
I'll only generate more headlines for DT. Marketing 101.

Quite so, but I'd argue that it would please everybody without exception.

On seeing the headlines fans of The Rolling Stones are likely to argue that the lads are doing the right thing.

On seeing the headlines fans of DT are likely to argue that he's doing the right thing.

Everyone's happy. :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 29, 2020 09:48

It's amusing, watching the media do all they can to destroy Trump, it's not like it's going to take a single supporter away from him, and when people see how biased they are against him it plays into his hands, fascinating stuff.
The Stones trying to look politically correct by threatening him with court action is understandable, they want to be seen as being on the right side.

It's all a bit futile to me, it's not like anything the Stones say or do is going to change the way people vote or detour him from playing their music.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 29, 2020 12:23

Good for them............thumbs up

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 29, 2020 13:29

They shouldn't play "YCAGWYW" at the rallies. "We're Not going to Take It" is more appropriate.

hot smileyRe: Stones threaten Trump campaigns with legal action
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 29, 2020 13:43

About time , what have the Glimmers been waiting for ? On the other hand timing is right as this is a Presidential election and when is there a better time to pull that rug out from under this clown . Never mind he's got the rug on his head . Full steam ahead and God Speed and make him pay for illegal use and have an enforceable cease and desist order that sticks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: June 29, 2020 13:46

jbwelda
Isnt that song controlled by ABKCO? If so, the Rolling Stones may not have a whole lot to say about it other than publicly distancing themselves from his using it so as not to appear to support him. And I am not so sure the Stones are against any political use of their songs, just maybe THIS use of their songs.

jb

I brought this up earlier in this thread. Mathijs likely knows about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-29 13:46 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 29, 2020 14:20

"A spokesperson for ABKCO, the song’s publisher, told Deadline that it had “teamed up” with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards to ask BMI to tell the Trump campaign to stop using their classic 1969 song at the president’s rallies."

[deadline.com]

Date: June 29, 2020 14:45

Aha. Thanks.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 29, 2020 14:52

daspyknows
They should sue the campaign with the Tom
Petty estate and any others offended. Let him play Kid Rock and Ted Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever which is "deadlier" than Covid-19.

Yeah...sue! The lawyers get rich, nothing gets settled, another divisive issue for people to fight about, Donny gets more publicity and more "it's us against the Liberal Hollywood Media Machine" BS press/support...ugh.

sometimes the best thing to do is to let it go...ignoring Don is the best weapon against him.

Ted Nugent is horribly bad...that's true. Kid Rock is a joke, though that "Cowboy" song was catchy....

Date: June 29, 2020 14:55

bv
I think it is very simple. The Rolling Stones don't want their music to be used in political campaigns. Not that complicated.

lawyers will always find a way to make it complicated...that's their lifeblood.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 29, 2020 15:06

stone4ever
It's amusing, watching the media do all they can to destroy Trump, it's not like it's going to take a single supporter away from him, and when people see how biased they are against him it plays into his hands, fascinating stuff.
The Stones trying to look politically correct by threatening him with court action is understandable, they want to be seen as being on the right side.

It's all a bit futile to me, it's not like anything the Stones say or do is going to change the way people vote or detour him from playing their music.

Way back in the 60s the Stones (in part via Oldham) sort of learned that any publicity, positive or negative, benefits them. But there it's about music. Even with votes they "overtook" the Beatles popularity in the year 1966 (1967 turned things around again, aaaggghhh).
With DT it's about politics though. It's not so much that the media are trying to destroy him, but his own confidence is causing him trouble. His "war" with the media is in part helpful, but surely also in part destructive. Time will learn which part has dominated.
It's hilarious though how a microscopic small virus has destroyed a big mouth plan the "make America great again". Corona put America first on the list, but I can not imagine they're proud of that.
Stay healthy, American Stones fans and all who are good at heart!

Date: June 29, 2020 15:32

We need a national policy for the pandemic:

All protesters must work from home and destroy their own property

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-29 15:35 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 29, 2020 15:49

....whether this goes anywhere remains to be seen (and yes, it certainly does generate publicity for them), but as a life-long Rolling Stones fan who supports their music, it is nice to see that the Stones do have a little integrity. Just my two cents.

Posted by: PinballWizard23 ()
Date: June 29, 2020 15:56

I never liked when entertainers get political and even more so when they try to ram a msg down your throat at a concert you paid big money for tickets to see. Risk alienating 50% of your fans.

Was at a Springsteen show a few years ago and he went on a political rant that pissed a lot of attendees off and got a pretty wicked boo followed by people heading for the doors.

Date: June 29, 2020 16:03

PinballWizard23
I never liked when entertainers get political and even more so when they try to ram a msg down your throat at a concert you paid big money for tickets to see. Risk alienating 50% of your fans.

Was at a Springsteen show a few years ago and he went on a political rant that pissed a lot of attendees off and got a pretty wicked boo followed by people heading for the doors.

Agreed - politics and music should be kept separate.

Date: June 29, 2020 16:18

Chris Fountain
We need a national policy for the pandemic:

All protesters must work from home and destroy their own property

What about the people with nosebleed seats at the rallies? winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 29, 2020 16:28

I never did mind music and politics. I really don't understand people leaving a Bruce gig because he says something political. First of all, Bruce never make long speeches.
Secondly, everyone knows his political stance beforehand. When it comes to politics some names are more credible though. Like Pete Seeger, Tracy Chapman or Joan Baez for instance.
When they speak I listen. Pete is not with us anymore though.

Date: June 29, 2020 16:42

Stoneage
I never did mind music and politics. I really don't understand people leaving a Bruce gig because he says something political. First of all, Bruce never make long speeches.
Secondly, everyone knows his political stance beforehand. When it comes to politics some names are more credible though. Like Pete Seeger, Tracy Chapman or Joan Baez for instance.
When they speak I listen. Pete is not with us anymore though.

it depends what you mean by "politics"...if you mean "socio-political ISSUES" I have no problem w/ them being mixed...Music is important in discussing ISSUES and raising awareness of ISSUES....and raising $$ for issues....

if you mean "political PARTIES (or candidates)"....no....eff that...musicians should keep they yap shut...93.2641% of parties/candidates are all horrible, corrupt, sell-outs IMO and one would hope musicians are "smart" enough to see through the BS that parties spew....

celebrities endorsing candidates/parties annoys me....

except maybe Ralph Nader...he seems pretty cool.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 29, 2020 16:51

Agree, Stickyfingers 101.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 29, 2020 17:29

I am a non-political person. When U2 or Roger Waters do start talking politics, on stage, I feel uncomfortable. May be I agree with them, may be not, that is not the point. I think the musicians should respect everyone in the crowd. Like at Desert Trip, Roger Waters had many political statements, I felt people did not like it then, and it made a not so good mood.

A total different thing is political campaigns using performing artists in order to promote their campaign and their message. Then I think it is simply respect and legal decency to ask for permission to use the music. Microsoft made a contract to use Start Me Up. They asked, an d signed a contract with the Stones, and paid up. The same goes for any other campaign. You simply ask, sign a contract, and get a permit.

As for the Trump campaign, NME has got more details about that case, with references to the Stones shows in Atlantic City 1989.

The Rolling Stones warn Trump to stop playing their music at his events or face a lawsuit (NME 27th June 2020)

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 29, 2020 17:35

It's old news here in the U.K.today.

Doubt whether we will hear anything from Mr Trump.
Next step I guess will be something from The Stones legal team.

Date: June 29, 2020 18:23

Did Bill Clinton pay BMI for the song "Don't Stop" (Fleetwood Mac)??

Terrible Song anyway.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 29, 2020 19:35

Chris Fountain
PinballWizard23

Agreed - politics and music should be kept separate.

Music from the 60's has always been political. If you don't like it, you can vote with your wallet. I won't go see Kid Rock, Ted Nugent or Big and Rich for that reason.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home