Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Stones threaten Trump campaigns with legal action
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 27, 2020 01:51

This should get interesting....but I would be surprised if it went anywhere...

[www.yahoo.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-28 10:19 by bv.

Re: BMI Warns Donald Trump Campaign To Stop Playing Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” At Rallies
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 27, 2020 02:03

Hey, it is Stones related (and I have utilized this forum since 2008). However, if our moderator feels this is too controversial, inappropriate, and/or in bad taste, by all means-take it down!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-27 02:15 by Sighunt.

Re: BMI Warns Donald Trump Campaign To Stop Playing Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” At Rallies
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 27, 2020 02:07

Okay, Sighunt. I don't mind. Thanks for the info by the way. But experience tells me this thread won't last long. BV doesn't even like Potus name mentioned...

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 27, 2020 02:52

How is this different from four years ago?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 27, 2020 03:05

I saw a few seconds on the news of the Tulsa fiasco and the TV broadcaster played the part of the meeting with the Stones song; made me want to throw up.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 27, 2020 03:57

“You Can’t Always Get What You Want” At Rallies

Refers to a second term.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 27, 2020 04:01

Koen

Refers to a second term.

Good one!

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 27, 2020 14:11

Could Trumps team get around this by, say, playing a cover version of the same song?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 27, 2020 14:40

interesting bit of editing with that laughable (unflattering) pic of Mick in the yahoo article....

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 27, 2020 14:47

More Hot Rocks
Koen

Refers to a second term.

Good one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-27 14:48 by steffialicia.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 27, 2020 19:52

What about Miss You Start Me Up and SFTD?

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: June 27, 2020 20:09

How does the liscensing work? I assumed that if you paid the fee you can use the music.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 27, 2020 20:26

timmyj3
How does the liscensing work? I assumed that if you paid the fee you can use the music.

I think that's correct. It's being broadcast so a fee needs to be paid. My memory about all that stuff is always hazy but I think it's the venue's responsibility to pay.

Stones threaten Trump campaign with legal action
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 28, 2020 06:15

[www.bbc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-28 06:54 by Aquamarine.

Re: Stones threaten Trump campaigns with legal action
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 28, 2020 06:31

Good on 'em.

jb

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 28, 2020 10:32

This is BMI:

[www.bmi.com]

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 28, 2020 14:25

It's been one of the BBC's main headlines whenever I watched the news this morning.
You get that sometimes with showbiz stuff when not much really important news around.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 28, 2020 14:31

Norway's main TV channel NRK1 have been running daily news every day 7am to 7pm due to the corona virus, until this week. Now the cases are down to almost single digits per day and the news are just 12 noon to 2pm. So every half hour today they run a 2-3 minutes slot of the RS legal action, playing and screening a lot of Stones music. Not many news in the summer days here, but at least the Stones are in the news! They even play "Living In A Ghost Town" in the news entry today.

Bjornulf

Posted by: DrSnuggles ()
Date: June 28, 2020 15:43

Yes, the famous summer hole... Its about time to find a crocodile in a German lake again to keep the news busy...

The "Angie" affair with our Angie Merkel in 2010 is still in good memory:
"All the dreams we held so close, seems to all go up in smoke" >grinning smiley<

Date: June 28, 2020 16:31

What about ABKCO Music & Records, Inc. (Allen & Betty Klein and Company). Can The BMI overrule this?

Do the Stones stand a chance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-28 16:36 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 28, 2020 16:36

Why bother? Does anyone think that the fact that "The man With The Unmentionable Name" likes The Rolling Stones and Tom Petty and therefore play their songs during his political rallies makes them "The man With The Unmentionable Name" supporters? Who would believe that? What the BMI is about is to defend copyrights and their clients economical interests. Not to stop certain people playing their music. Song writers are one of a few groups of workers who gets paid over and over for their work. A plumber only gets paid once...

Date: June 28, 2020 17:02

Stoneage
Why bother? Does anyone think that the fact that "The man With The Unmentionable Name" likes The Rolling Stones and Tom Petty and therefore play their songs during his political rallies makes them "The man With The Unmentionable Name" supporters? Who would believe that? What the BMI is about is to defend copyrights and their clients economical interests. Not to stop certain people playing their music. Song writers are one of a few groups of workers who gets paid over and over for their work. A plumber only gets paid once...

I don't bother, just wondering. From a political point of view the Stones and other artists involved likely don't give a damn. Their anti-establishment image i.e. old hippy culture from the 6-tees is over.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 28, 2020 17:07

Correct - multi millionaires are insulated from politics -they don't need to build a wall -they already have one.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 28, 2020 17:12

I'm wondering if other political campaigners don't play music at their rallies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-28 17:13 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 28, 2020 17:19

I wonder too, Some Guy. Which music does "The Other Guy Whose Name Also Can't Be Mentioned" play on his rallies? And are rallies even feasible in times of the virus?

Date: June 28, 2020 21:10

Thanks for making this thread closed very soon.angry smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 28, 2020 21:38

Good on 'em for pushing this issue.

Making quite a few national headlines.. which in itself is good as many people still believe they must somehow condone the usage.
Any time a clip with it in from one of his rallies go viral, twitter lights up with people saying "wtf stones?" or worse.

Ultimately won't matter the legal rulings if it winds through the courts.
The guy that ignores bounties on our troops heads and the coronavirus
will easily ignore this and also be gone by the time any final ruling is reached.

[abcnews.go.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-28 21:40 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 28, 2020 21:58

Stoneage

I guess they bother because they have some personal values that contradict the use of their own artistic contributions in such occassions they don't feel it's alright. It could be that they are prostitutes like you think they are and since putting their art public anynone can do them as they can, but still even those artists have a right for their own opinion as far as the use of their art is concerned, no matter how legally justified their position is, or how far reaching their power in controlling it is. I understand why that kind of using one's freedom of expressing opinion is annoying you, Christian Fountain and people like that because it doesn't suit for your ideology. But they still have a right to do that, even you don't like it.

Some of us still in this world respect things that are not only valued in terms of money. Even the wealthiest of rock stars.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-28 22:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 28, 2020 22:00

I don't know at all....and don't claim to....

however....I thought that if it was a "public space" or gathering or whatever, people can play whatever they want....as long as it is not directly used related to a specific purchase, so to speak.

sort of like if I own a bar and play Stones tunes over the speakers....but, on a much bigger scale...

One thing for certain - the Liars will all get rich arguing over all this nonsense....err....I mean "lawyers"...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 28, 2020 22:15

It is interesting that, especially in the last weeks, members of the Stones comment on american political issues, but keep completely quite about the situation in England. Many Europeans do that - it is rather easy to point the finger in the american direction.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home