Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Comparisons of Shows of 2007 and 2012 onwards
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: June 26, 2020 04:24

I hate to say this but it is true that few of the concerts in 2007 were dismal. The sound of guitar and of course of Mick's voice was not upto the mark.. It was more nasal. In 2007 it was looking like Keith Richards would fall on stage. Ultimately it did not happen. However from 2012 on wards the guitar sound and of course Mick Jagger's voice has also improved. I do not know how. But it has.

If anyone of you can tell me how the change took place from 2012 on wards. Keith's guitar playing improved from 2007, Mick Jagger now having a stronger voice. It is true hard work pays. But still I want to know

Re: Comparisons of Shows of 2007 and 2012 onwards
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: June 26, 2020 07:14

I'd say it was just how they sounded together as a unit that changes between tours. This isn't just between 2007 and 2012 onwards but throughout their touring history. For example, they had a particular sound live for the tours in 1969-70. Very much different for the 1972-73 tours, 75-76. It's just a particular sound they formed during that specific time. There's really no definite answer as to why Mick's voice got stronger. Perhaps it's age that has done him wonders, which I very much believe. Ronnie has particularly been amazing since 2012 very much of him being sober and taking better care of himself.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 26, 2020 08:36

I think it helps that they're only playing a few shows per year. In 2007 they were two years on the road with over 100 shows played so they got lazy. Today they concentrate a bit more and are better prepared.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 26, 2020 08:50

The change came organically. Is it a coincidence that one of their longest breaks came after 2007 until the 50th Anniversary shows in 2012? 2007, to me, was the official end of the 1989 era. By the time the last few shows of 2007 were coming to an end, the band, was crawling to the finish line. The vibe, sound and chemistry were showing signs of wear and tear. Keith's accident coupled with his personal turmoil with his wife's illness at the time made it probably one of his most difficult periods.

Then Life hit--the book, I mean. World War III 1/2 broke out. The ice between Jagger and Richards appeared to deepen. Apparently during a band meeting to discuss 50th plans, Mick had laid the gauntlet down. A shift occurred internally.

Up from the ashes, came a new band in 2012 and every year since then, the band has grown into another phase of their career. They weren't just rock royalty, they were all survivors of the Rolling Stones. Each one of them had come out of some major shit and came out of it victoriously: Charlie and Ronnie with their bouts of cancer, Keith's accident and the effects of that plus his eventual complete sobriety in recent years and finally Mick's own health concerns recently. Now they know they're just lucky to be standing anywhere never mind a stage.

When I watch them today, I see a band that knows that they're lucky to still be doing this. They would never utter any of these words out loud but I hear it in the playing, the vibe in the room. I think everyone in the audience knows it it too. Those final bows are extra special these days. Let's all hope we can see them one more time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-26 08:51 by Justin.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 26, 2020 12:43

pftw04
I hate to say this but it is true that few of the concerts in 2007 were dismal. The sound of guitar and of course of Mick's voice was not upto the mark.. It was more nasal. In 2007 it was looking like Keith Richards would fall on stage. Ultimately it did not happen. However from 2012 on wards the guitar sound and of course Mick Jagger's voice has also improved. I do not know how. But it has.

If anyone of you can tell me how the change took place from 2012 on wards. Keith's guitar playing improved from 2007, Mick Jagger now having a stronger voice. It is true hard work pays. But still I want to know

Oh, it most certainly did!

What happened? Basically how Justin described it. On the latter part of the ABB tour, Ronnie was having by his own admission some problems as he'd relapsed and Keith played some shows where he appeared to be 'over medicated' following his brain surgery (he wasn't playing guitar and singing at the same time for example which was almost certainly for medical reasons).

I do think they pulled it together by the end of the 2007 tour, though. The three London shows were like night and day compared to some of the shambolic performances at the start of that tour leg.

Like 1989, if they were going to tour again it was on Mick's terms. The two guitarists had to be up to playing consistently and no more Blondie Chaplin for starters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-26 12:44 by Gazza.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 26, 2020 13:07

pftw04
In 2007 it was looking like Keith Richards would fall on stage. Ultimately it did not happen.

Actually, Keith did fall on stage in 2007 winking smiley In fact, twice at the same show, in Helsinki. I was there. I remember Chuck Leavell in his blog chalking that up to too much caviar in Russia, or something to that effect...

(My review of that show can be found here: [iorr.org])

But let's just say, I'm glad that out of the 24 shows I have seen all-time, that was the lone off-night I have witnessed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-26 13:16 by Topi.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 26, 2020 14:47

Topi
pftw04
In 2007 it was looking like Keith Richards would fall on stage. Ultimately it did not happen.

Actually, Keith did fall on stage in 2007 winking smiley In fact, twice at the same show, in Helsinki. I was there. I remember Chuck Leavell in his blog chalking that up to too much caviar in Russia, or something to that effect...

(My review of that show can be found here: [iorr.org])

But let's just say, I'm glad that out of the 24 shows I have seen all-time, that was the lone off-night I have witnessed.

He went on his arse at the Madrid show I was at too. Was doing his little 'crouch' when milking the applause during his solo set and lost his balance. Easily done, I suppose

Date: June 26, 2020 22:55

Seems like the other video of this 2002 show opener is taken off YouTube. But if you take a closer look at this clip, you'll see that Keith falls on his arse during the first chords of SFM smiling smiley

Nicely edited, though... Funny look on Mick's face smiling smiley

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 27, 2020 00:39

Justin
The change came organically. Is it a coincidence that one of their longest breaks came after 2007 until the 50th Anniversary shows in 2012? 2007, to me, was the official end of the 1989 era. By the time the last few shows of 2007 were coming to an end, the band, was crawling to the finish line. The vibe, sound and chemistry were showing signs of wear and tear. Keith's accident coupled with his personal turmoil with his wife's illness at the time made it probably one of his most difficult periods.

Then Life hit--the book, I mean. World War III 1/2 broke out. The ice between Jagger and Richards appeared to deepen. Apparently during a band meeting to discuss 50th plans, Mick had laid the gauntlet down. A shift occurred internally.

Up from the ashes, came a new band in 2012 and every year since then, the band has grown into another phase of their career. They weren't just rock royalty, they were all survivors of the Rolling Stones. Each one of them had come out of some major shit and came out of it victoriously: Charlie and Ronnie with their bouts of cancer, Keith's accident and the effects of that plus his eventual complete sobriety in recent years and finally Mick's own health concerns recently. Now they know they're just lucky to be standing anywhere never mind a stage.

When I watch them today, I see a band that knows that they're lucky to still be doing this. They would never utter any of these words out loud but I hear it in the playing, the vibe in the room. I think everyone in the audience knows it it too. Those final bows are extra special these days. Let's all hope we can see them one more time...

Excellent post Justin. I agree with everything you said. Granted, my first Stones gig was actually 2013; but I waited with anticipation between 2007 and 2012, wondering if I would ever see them live, and if they would even live up to the hype.

They did... and I managed to see them 4 times since 2012 (yes it's not a lot compared to most folks here). But what kept me coming back was exactly what you described.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home