Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: 40 Years of Emotional Rescue...TODAY!
Date: June 25, 2020 21:19

Four Stone Walls
It was generally accepted at the time that this album was a disappointment.

That hadn't really been the case before.

SG adopted a fresh punk style to most of those rockers. A revitalised band. But they weren't pretending at ages 35-42 to be punks (RW a bit younger).

But in those two you mention Jagger is adopting the persona of a cockney lad who hangs around with the boys in bars etc and it's not convincing. And they riffs or whatever aren't that great.

Sham 69 were a real band of poorish boys who sang pretty rough and ready and had a great piano Strength too - c.f. Ian Stewart.

'We're Going Down the Pub' is a good one. You can hear where Jagger got his ideas from.

So the Stones even ripped off on of their cover designs?!

Yeah, the reviewers were over the moon with GHS and Black And Blue smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 26, 2020 03:10

GasLightStreet
I've made various playlists, called them Shattered or Snarl or Shadooby, it's a bit era focused, and generally consists of these songs and it's a fun context.

Shattered
Hang Fire
Summer Romance
Lies
Neighbours
She's So Cold
Everything Is Turning To Gold
Tie Me Up
Dance
Miss You
Emotional Rescue
Too Much Blood
Send It To Me
If I Was A Dancer
Pretty Beat Up
Some Girls
Crazy Mama
Where The Boys Go
All The Way Down
Hey Negrita
Little T&A
She Was Hot
I Think I'm Going Mad
Beast Of Burden
Feel On Baby
All About You

some great tunes there. a mid-career renaissance.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 26, 2020 20:18

DandelionPowderman
Four Stone Walls

SG adopted a fresh punk style to most of those rockers. A revitalised band. But they weren't pretending at ages 35-42 to be punks (RW a bit younger).

But in those two you mention Jagger is adopting the persona of a cockney lad who hangs around with the boys in bars etc and it's not convincing. And they riffs or whatever aren't that great.

Sham 69 were a real band of poorish boys who sang pretty rough and ready and had a great piano Strength too - c.f. Ian Stewart.

'We're Going Down the Pub' is a good one. You can hear where Jagger got his ideas from.

Yeah, the reviewers were over the moon with GHS and Black And Blue smiling smiley

Black and Blue got very mixed reviews (UK) - some very positive others not so. It totally split opinions.

Goats. Head Soup was very well received and got album of the year in New Musical Express.

I can't speak for Norway or other European cou tries. I didn't t read their papers

Date: June 26, 2020 21:15

Four Stone Walls
DandelionPowderman
Four Stone Walls

Black and Blue got very mixed reviews (UK) - some very positive others not so. It totally split opinions.

Goats. Head Soup was very well received and got album of the year in New Musical Express.

I can't speak for Norway or other European cou tries. I didn't t read their papers

It's easy to find American and British reviews of GHS and BAB from back then that were both lackluster and downright poor. ER got both great and poor reviews when it came out.

It's no secret that the reviwers were disappointed when GHS came out?

Let's quote Lester Bangs:

"There is a sadness about the Stones now, because they amount to such an enormous ‘So what?’ The sadness comes when you measure not just one album, but the whole sense they’re putting across now against what they once meant…” Exile to this isn’t quite the equivalent of jumping off of a cliff, but there is a marked drop-off in quality"

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 27, 2020 01:58

Well I disagree with Bangs.

GHS oozes quality. As we are also about to realize from it's deluxe version, and as we already know from all it's quality outtakes which would go on to form such an integral part of Tattoo You.

If they are sad and meaningless on GHS then that's the case on all their post-exile work.

Bangs, like Charles Shaar Murray already had a personal agenda, I think.

Will have more time next week to discuss.

Boa noite.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 27, 2020 09:45

Bangs didnt even think much of Exile
until most likely some guy tapped him on the
shoulder and said ... Hey man your lost ... You dont know what your missing .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: June 27, 2020 10:55

GasLightStreet
Perhaps instead of a deluxe GOATS HEAD SOUP release they could've gotten done one for this album, there's only a TON of tracks leftover (of course, no way to know the accuracy of any of this):

26th August - 6th September: Los Angeles, RCA Studios. Producers: The Glimmer
Twins & Chris Kimsey. Sound engineers: Chris Kimsey, Alex Vertikoff. Additional
musicians: Ian McLagan (p, org)/Jim Keltner (perc; August 26)/Bobby Keys (sax;

Elvis Cover, found on SoundCloud: - One Night (Dave Bartholomew/Pearl King) -August 26

One Night - The Rolling Stones '78 "demo instrumental", RCA LA,CA. ELVIS COVER.

Great Jam!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-27 10:56 by KevinM.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 27, 2020 15:44

You know, I have to admit: I HATED this album when I first heard it, but ER has really grown on me. "Dance" and "All About You" have always been favorites, but "Let Me Go" is right up there with "I'm Moving On," "Dancing With Mr. D," "Almost Hear You Sigh," and "Jump On Top Of Me" as the all-time great obscure Stones gems. It took me a while to get "She's So Cold," but now I love it: a true classic exciting Stones groove song. "Send it To Me" is another great one. And last but not least--and if you told me this before 2012, I'd have thought you were crazy--but since they started playing "ER" live, it's become a song I love listening too. One of those Stones songs that has to be done live in order to realize what a good song it is.

I still think there are some cringe-worthy moments ("Indian Girl," "Where The Boys Go," and "Summer Romance" should have been replaced with "Claudine," "Do You Think I Care," and "Tallahassee Lasse,") but other than those examples, it's an album I've come to love and appreciate.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 27, 2020 19:49

stevecardi
You know, I have to admit: I HATED this album when I first heard it, but ER has really grown on me. "Dance" and "All About You" have always been favorites, but "Let Me Go" is right up there with "I'm Moving On," "Dancing With Mr. D," "Almost Hear You Sigh," and "Jump On Top Of Me" as the all-time great obscure Stones gems. It took me a while to get "She's So Cold," but now I love it: a true classic exciting Stones groove song. "Send it To Me" is another great one. And last but not least--and if you told me this before 2012, I'd have thought you were crazy--but since they started playing "ER" live, it's become a song I love listening too. One of those Stones songs that has to be done live in order to realize what a good song it is.

Have you listened to the unedited take of ER? It's good. It makes sense why they edited it where they did for the LP version.

There's also an unedited Send It To Me. I used to think that song was pretty stupid but I've grown to like it. Musically it's awesome. Lyrically it's stupid but then once I got over that now I find it very amusing.

Dande put this edit mix on...

Here's an unedited pre-overdub of She's So Cold. Listen to the LP version on headphones and pay attention to the guitars - some just appear, others disappear. It reveals the genius of paying attention to detail in the mix.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 28, 2020 02:18

The Stones takes on reggae are always kind of lame, but i think Send It To Me works pretty well.

Whats the running time for it on the LP? What i really mean is how much was edited out and where? Its been forever since i listened to this song or this LP for that matter.

jb

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 28, 2020 03:03

For years I didn't have Black and Blue in my collection. 4 of the 8 songs I considered great, the other 4 throwaways. Over time I've learned to enjoy it, especially with some of the dross that came afterward. It is classic Stones. Emotional Rescue is one of those albums I don't possess, or care to listen to. There are a few songs on it that are great, but they're available on the 2002 Greatest Hits package. Maybe it's time to go back and give it a spin.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: June 28, 2020 03:41

I think you should. Down In the Hole and All About You have never made it on to any Greatest Hits, but for me, are two of the best songs they've ever recorded....

Date: June 28, 2020 04:25

jbwelda
The Stones takes on reggae are always kind of lame, but i think Send It To Me works pretty well.

Whats the running time for it on the LP? What i really mean is how much was edited out and where? Its been forever since i listened to this song or this LP for that matter.

jb

Uh... I'm not sure at the moment as to what was edited where. The LP version is 3:43.

Date: June 28, 2020 04:31

24FPS
For years I didn't have Black and Blue in my collection. 4 of the 8 songs I considered great, the other 4 throwaways. Over time I've learned to enjoy it, especially with some of the dross that came afterward. It is classic Stones. Emotional Rescue is one of those albums I don't possess, or care to listen to. There are a few songs on it that are great, but they're available on the 2002 Greatest Hits package. Maybe it's time to go back and give it a spin.

They're all worth having, really, even, as awful as it is, DIRTY WORK. I do listen to it occasionally just to kind of "check in" and see if anything's changed in my mind.

With ER I enjoy the whole album - even Indian Girl.

Just as with STICKY FINGERS, and to a lesser extent BLACK AND BLUE and SOME GIRLS, ER is an album that can have a playlist that includes officially released songs like Neighbours and Heaven that were recorded for ER as a 'just because' super deluxe kind of track list. I listen to that once in a while. I generally stick to the LP as is, although I've made a playlist that includes If I Was A Dancer and I Think I'm Going Mad as the only extra tracks.

Date: June 28, 2020 05:07

Q: Is there any new/old material on this release or it is just remastered and repackaged for the purpose of promoting the 40 year old anniversary?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 28, 2020 05:24

ROCKMAN

Date: June 28, 2020 05:32

BitchKeepsBitchin
Q: Is there any new/old material on this release or it is just remastered and repackaged for the purpose of promoting the 40 year old anniversary?

What release.

Date: June 28, 2020 05:34

BitchKeepsBitchin

Are you talking about EMOTIONAL RESCUE?

There's nothing new about it. The remaster is the same rurnt one Stefffffan Marcussen did in 2009 or whenever it was a destroyed everything.

GOATS HEAD SOUP is supposedly getting a revamp...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 28, 2020 05:53

Thanks Rockman, I knew I had or had heard that long version before, one of the best tracks from Accidents May Happen. They really did trim it down for actual release; something like that screams to me for a 12" single with a dub mix on the B side.

My problem remains I could never get past the title track or Indian Girl. But I should really get out my LP and give it a spin. Thats what I like about this forum.

jb

Date: June 29, 2020 01:17

GasLightStreet
BitchKeepsBitchin

What release.

ER. I was just wondering if there was anything "new" about it, otherwise there is no reason for me to buy it. Sometimes they add 1 or 2 new tracks just so we buy it again.

Date: June 29, 2020 11:45

BitchKeepsBitchin
GasLightStreet
BitchKeepsBitchin

What release.

ER. I was just wondering if there was anything "new" about it, otherwise there is no reason for me to buy it. Sometimes they add 1 or 2 new tracks just so we buy it again.

Only remastered.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 1, 2020 06:27

GasLightStreet
stevecardi

Have you listened to the unedited take of ER? It's good. It makes sense why they edited it where they did for the LP version.

There's also an unedited Send It To Me. I used to think that song was pretty stupid but I've grown to like it. Musically it's awesome. Lyrically it's stupid but then once I got over that now I find it very amusing.

Here's an unedited pre-overdub of She's So Cold. Listen to the LP version on headphones and pay attention to the guitars - some just appear, others disappear. It reveals the genius of paying attention to detail in the mix.

Thanks GasLightStreet! No, I hadn't heard these versions of the title track before. Although the mix in the official release is smoother, I love the stronger guitar presence in these two mixes.

And yes I feel the same way about "Send It To Me." No one is going to compare this song with "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Gimme Shelter," but there isn't any reason to. It's just a fun song with great music.

Date: July 1, 2020 20:44

DandelionPowderman
BitchKeepsBitchin
GasLightStreet
BitchKeepsBitchin

What release.

Only remastered.

And not a new remaster, just the newest remaster, 2009.

Date: July 1, 2020 20:46

stevecardi
GasLightStreet
stevecardi

Thanks GasLightStreet! No, I hadn't heard these versions of the title track before. Although the mix in the official release is smoother, I love the stronger guitar presence in these two mixes.

And yes I feel the same way about "Send It To Me." No one is going to compare this song with "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Gimme Shelter," but there isn't any reason to. It's just a fun song with great music.

HA HA! That's how I feel about quite a few of their songs post-1973... especially most of ER and U.

Date: July 1, 2020 21:03

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
BitchKeepsBitchin
GasLightStreet
BitchKeepsBitchin

What release.

Only remastered.

Half-speed remaster. That was later than 2009, no?

Date: July 1, 2020 21:13

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
BitchKeepsBitchin
GasLightStreet
BitchKeepsBitchin

What release.

Only remastered.

Oh. I dunno.

Date: July 1, 2020 21:26

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
BitchKeepsBitchin
GasLightStreet
BitchKeepsBitchin

What release.

Only remastered.

Oh. I dunno.

Check out the very first post in this thread smiling smiley

More info here: [theseconddisc.com]

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 1, 2020 21:39

HonkyTonkJan
I think you should. Down In the Hole and All About You have never made it on to any Greatest Hits, but for me, are two of the best songs they've ever recorded....

Definitely

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home