Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: 40 Years of Emotional Rescue...TODAY!
Date: June 22, 2020 23:12

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
ER with more Keith guitar.

[youtu.be]

Sounds adequate. This isn't genuinely Keith, right?

What do you mean? It's Keith. I just uploaded it and posted it smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 22, 2020 23:26

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
ER with more Keith guitar.

[youtu.be]

Sounds adequate. This isn't genuinely Keith, right?

What do you mean? It's Keith. I just uploaded it and posted it smiling smiley

Of course it is smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 23, 2020 04:23

georgemcdonnell314
I don't think Emotional Rescue worked very well live either. It was too drawn out like Miss You is compared to the earlier tours (78 & 81).

Miss You has been played as long as Midnight Rambler live ever since, basically.

Emotional Rescue, for what few shows they played it, based on the live videos I've seen, wasn't even as long as the album version - it was much shorter.

So what do you mean by it was "too drawn out"?

Date: June 23, 2020 04:25

Hairball
Any version of ER (the tune) is a bad version imo, including the live versions they did a few tours back. The bass line is annoying and childish. Another main problem with the tune is Mick really can't sing falsetto when compared to the greats - nearly every song he tries it ends up lame. Worried About You might be the exception where it works...and maybe the spoken word/sung part of Dear Doctor as that's sort of a mockery anyways...
But tunes like ER and Fool To Cry are completely forced and unnatural sounding compared to the greats - Eddie Kendricks, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Junior Murvin, et al....even the BeeGees and KC (of the Sunshine Band) are better imo.

I think it's brilliant. Childish? LOL! What defines that? The bass line is awesome. Mick's falsetto is just fine - outright excellent. Nobody else does it other than Bono, at least that I'm aware of.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2020 08:57

Emotional Rescue is a bit like Goats Head Soup, a step down from the massive success of Some Girls. And like GHS, there's a few songs to pick out, like ER, She's So Cold, and Indian Girl. Lot of throwaway stuff.

Date: June 23, 2020 09:04

24FPS
Emotional Rescue is a bit like Goats Head Soup, a step down from the massive success of Some Girls. And like GHS, there's a few songs to pick out, like ER, She's So Cold, and Indian Girl. Lot of throwaway stuff.

She's So Cold?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 23, 2020 10:14

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

She's So Cold?

Thanks, DP. Got my morning tea in my nose when reading that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-23 10:15 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 23, 2020 10:24

More Hot Rocks
Ugh Sorry. No thanks.

A little bit lightweight for you, after becoming a Sex Pistols and The Damned fan in the late 70s?

Wish you could appreciate Where The Boys Go, though. Just like I know you love "Lies" and "Respectable" from 1978.

Date: June 23, 2020 11:23

Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks
Ugh Sorry. No thanks.

A little bit lightweight for you, after becoming a Sex Pistols and The Damned fan in the late 70s?

Wish you could appreciate Where The Boys Go, though. Just like I know you love "Lies" and "Respectable" from 1978.

Must be a typo. It's got a killer bassline by Bill, so he would never criticise that winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 23, 2020 11:30

40 years !! ... is that all ?.....
man time flies when ya havin fun ......

ROCKMAN

Date: June 23, 2020 18:45

Perhaps instead of a deluxe GOATS HEAD SOUP release they could've gotten done one for this album, there's only a TON of tracks leftover (of course, no way to know the accuracy of any of this):

26th August - 6th September: Los Angeles, RCA Studios. Producers: The Glimmer
Twins & Chris Kimsey. Sound engineers: Chris Kimsey, Alex Vertikoff. Additional
musicians: Ian McLagan (p, org)/Jim Keltner (perc; August 26)/Bobby Keys (sax;
August 31)
- Back In The USA (Chuck Berry) -August 29
- Barcelona (MJ/KR) -August 27; unverified (only MJ on guitar & CW on drums)
- Blues With A Feeling (Rabon Tarrant) -August 29
- Come On Baby (MJ/KR?) -August 26; unverified
- I Ain't Superstitious (Willie Dixon) -August 29
- If You're Man Gets Lost (MJ/KR) -September 2; unverified (without KR)
- I'll Let You Know I (MJ/KR) -instrumental, piano intro; September 6

- "Jimmy Reed Jam" ( ) -instrumental blues jam; probably August 27
- Knee Trembler (RW) -instrumental, Bobby Keys on sax; August 31 (MJ, KR &
BW not present)
- My First Plea I (Jimmy Reed) -take 13, 4.14; August 27

- My Old Lady (MJ/KR) -September 2; unverified (without KR)(might be Hang Fire)
- Not The Way To Go I (MJ/KR) -long version; September 5
version; September 5
- One Night (Dave Bartholomew/Pearl King) -August 26
- Serious Love (Alvin Ranglin) -August 27
- Summer Romance III (MJ/KR) -nearly finished lyrics; August 29 or September 2
- Tallahassee Lassie I (Frank C. Slay Jun./Bob Crewe/F.A. Picariello) -September 5
- The Harder They Come II (Jimmy Cliff) -MJ on backing vocals, much organ;
September 2

- What Am I Living For I (Fred Jacobson/Art Harris)
September 2
- What Gives You The Right II (MJ/KR) -early lyrics, longer than II; August 27

- Where The Boys Go I (MJ/KR) -early lyrics; August 28 or 30

August 30
- Your Angel Steps Out Of Heaven (Jack Ripley) -probably September 6

22nd January - 12th February: Nassau, Bahamas, Compass Point Studios.
Producers: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional
musicians: Michael Shrieve (perc)/Sugar Blue (harm)
- Blues jam #1 ( ) -instrumental (slow)
- Blues jam #2 ( ) -instrumental (faster)
- Break Away (MJ/KR) -with barely audible guide vocals
- Dancing Girls (MJ/KR) -uses Brown Leaves-riff in the verses
- Emotional Rescue I (MJ/KR) -unverified first version
- Gangster's Moll I (MJ/KR)
- Guitar Lesson (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- I Think I’m Going Mad I (MJ/KR) -no sax, some falsetto vocals
- It’s Cold Down There I (MJ/KR) -instrumental

- Let’s Go Steady Again I (James W. Alexander) -Kristi Kimsey on backing vocals,
version with two guitars

- Little T & A II (MJ/KR) -instrumental

- Linda Lu (Ray Sharpe)
- Lonely At The Top (MJ/KR)
- Munich Hilton IV (MJ/KR/RW) -with vocals
- Never Too Into (MJ/KR)
- Piano instrumental (MJ/KR)
- Reconsider Baby/Sweet Home Chicago (Lowell Fulson)(Robert Johnson)
- Sands Of Time (MJ/KR) -unverified
- She’s So Cold I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals/different lyrics
- Still In Love I (MJ/KR) -with falsetto vocals
- What’s The Matter (MJ/KR)
- You’re So Beautiful (MJ/KR?) -unverified (could be a cover of Roll 'Em Pete)

10th June - 7th July & late July - 25th August & 12th September - 19th October:
Boulogne-Billancourt (near Paris), France, Pathé Marconi Studios. Producers:
The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians:
Bobby Keys (sax)/Sugar Blue (harm)/Martin Gordon (bass; two days in
September)/Boz Scaggs (voc, gtr)
- Dance I (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics

- Down In The Hole I (MJ/KR) -early version with partly different lyrics

- Heaven I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals
- Indian Girl I (MJ/KR) -unverified early version without horns
- Instrumental ( ) -unverified
- It's A Lie I (MJ/KR) -with harmonica intro

- Jah Is Not Dead (MJ/KR) -Max Romeo sharing vocals, Boz Scaggs on backing
vocals and on guitar
- Jam ( ) -with Bobby Keys; unverified
- Let Me Go I (MJ/KR) -without sax

- Neighbours I (MJ/KR) -early version with guide vocals
- No Use In Crying I (MJ/KR/RW) -shorter early version

- Send It To Me I (MJ/KR) -long version with vocals

- “Time Flies” (MJ/KR) -unverified, title unsure; with Martin Gordon on bass
- Tones (MJ/KR?) -unverified
- We Had It All I (Troy Seals/Donny Fritts) -without harmonica

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 23, 2020 22:17

To Erik Snow, re WTBG. respectable was great social satire and ofcourse e real- life exerience. Lies was a bit lightweight but unpretentious fun.

Sorry Sir, I misread you post to someone else. Will amend later.
No, I didn't misread it. You think WTBG is genuinely good! Jimmy Pudsey was the lead singer of Sham 69, and he could claim to be genuine cockney lad - without shamming.

WTBG was silly because it was MJ doing a Jimmy Pursey impersonation and is totally unconvincing. Nor is it it convincing that he's one of the lads, atage 36-37 and recording out in the Bahamas. Same for Summer Romance really. Neither are musically that great either.

By the way I think that 24FPS was saying that She's So Cold Was on of three that we're good.

Put this in context. Look at Sticky Fingers .....and see how far the standard had fallen. It's just a totally different class. Some Girls was a very refreshing and promised more. But really their best days were over, in the studio. It had become a business by then, for Jagger at least.

Nick Kent reviewed ER album in the New Musical Express. A lifetime fan and close friend of Keith. But his assessment was of a general malaise. Accompanying his review was a picture of the Stones in a dinghy cast adrift and with only one paddle, which Keith was holding. Casta drift with no direction. Remember he did love the Stones ( but not by the end of the 80s).

He said that there were three tracks of Exile quality but that the rest was sub-standard and not really that good. He never said which 3! I think one must be She's So Cold. In a class apart.I think he commented positively on it. Then probably Down in the Hole. I like to think that Send it to Me is the other - but he might have meant Let Me Go or just perhaps All About You.

No idea if Nick Kent is still 'going'.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-24 20:13 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 23, 2020 22:34

With Some girls and ER the Stones changed again. If you were young and a new fan chances were that you really like the Stones. But if you were older and sucked in the great period of 68-72 you probably did not like 77-79-81 as much. For me the punk period was incredible; energy/fun and kick ass live shows.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2020 23:25

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

She's So Cold?

Thanks, DP. Got my morning tea in my nose when reading that.

Am I missing something? She's So Cold is a great Stones song, with a fantastic Wyman bass line. Did I misspell it? What?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 23, 2020 23:37

Language problems, 24FPS. Dandy and Erik are from Norway. So they are both excused...

Date: June 24, 2020 09:50

True. We are pardoned.

Date: June 24, 2020 12:14

In my Norwenglish class, I was taught to pick on, not to pick out, Indian Girl...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 24, 2020 13:42

Well, I am Dutch, and I read it the same way. "pick out" I would read as "select" which could be in a positive or a negative way. And if the next line reads "throwaway stuff", I figured, the writer selected ER, She's so cold and Indian Girl in a negative way.
What made it hard to understand from the context is that on ER in general the opinions are divided, She's so cold is generally liked and Indian Girl is generally hated (although personally I like it).

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 24, 2020 15:37

Maxtil
Well, I am Dutch, and I read it the same way. "pick out" I would read as "select" which could be in a positive or a negative way.

Funny, I interpreted it the other way. The way I think the writer intended. But you're right, Maxtil. It could be read both ways. It's imprecise.
Sorry for my bad Norwegian jokes. I couldn't help myself. I do think Dandy and Erik understands humor though. Even bad humor...

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: June 24, 2020 16:14

Four Stone Walls
To Erik Snow, re WTBG. respectable was great social satire and ofcourse e real- life exerience. Lies was a bit lightweight but unpretentious fun.

Sorry Sir, I misread you post to someone else. Will amend later. Pardon.

WTBG was silly because it was MJ doing a Jimmy Pursey impersonation and is totally unconvincing. Nor is it it convincing that he's one of the lads, atage 36-37 and recording out in the Bahamas. Same for Summer Romance really. Neither are musically that great either.

Put this in context. Look at Sticky Fingers .....and see how far the standard had fallen. It's just a totally different class. Some Girls was a very refreshing and promised more. But really their best days were over, in the studio. It had become a business by then, for Jagger at least.

Nick Kent reviewed ER album in the New Musical Express. A lifetime fan and close friend of Keith. But his assessment was of a general malaise. Accompanying his review was a picture of the Stones in a dinghy cast adrift and with only one paddle, which Keith was holding. Casta drift with no direction. Remember he did love the Stones ( but not by the end of the 80s).

He said that there were three tracks of Exile quality but that the rest was sub-standard and not really that good. He never said which 3! I think one must be She's So Cold. In a class apart.I think he commented positively on it. Then probably Down in the Hole. I like to think that Send it to Me is the other - but he might have meant Let Me Go or just perhaps All About You.

No idea if Nick Kent is still 'going'.

Never really heard of Sham 69 before but the cover of their second album "That's Life" seems quite similar to the cover of the "Time Waits for No One. Anthology" compilation, which came out about half a year later

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 24, 2020 16:34

Mick Taylor first solo record came out in 1979. It is a record that sounds more like the music the Stones did around Sticky Fingers. I prefer ER although Taylor's record is not bad but it sounded strange coming in 79.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: June 24, 2020 18:32

I've often been a bit mystified that Where The Boys Go and Summer Romance, the latter of the two the best and a fantastic snarling song, get so much shit. I like that they're "different" from anything before. They certainly would do some downright afwul tracks much later.

It seems that there's some standard that hasn't been accomplished - what standard would that be?

That every rocker be as good as Jumpin' Jack Flash?

That every album be as good as BEGGARS-EXILE?

What a yawn.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 24, 2020 20:27

It was generally accepted at the time that this album was a disappointment.

That hadn't really been the case before.

SG adopted a fresh punk style to most of those rockers. A revitalised band. But they weren't pretending at ages 35-42 to be punks (RW a bit younger).

But in those two you mention Jagger is adopting the persona of a cockney lad who hangs around with the boys in bars etc and it's not convincing. And they riffs or whatever aren't that great.

Sham 69 were a real band of poorish boys who sang pretty rough and ready and had a great piano Strength too - c.f. Ian Stewart.

'We're Going Down the Pub' is a good one. You can hear where Jagger got his ideas from.

So the Stones even ripped off on of their cover designs?!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 24, 2020 21:20

I gave it a whirl this morning, and it's not too bad an album. At least Mick isn't barking his vocals a la Dirty Work.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 25, 2020 00:22

One thing is, at the time, to me at least, those "good" songs sounded formulated, and didnt sound original or special. Over the years they lose the context they were issued into, and they start sounding pretty good after all. I find that with a lot of music: at the time i dismissed it as not really that interesting or creative, only to go back later and discover that it was really pretty good all along.

I think Summer Romance, in particular, is one of those songs. I heard it in Target or somewhere the other day on their muzak system, and actually enjoyed it, though it took me a minute to recognize it.

jb

Date: June 25, 2020 01:44

I've made various playlists, called them Shattered or Snarl or Shadooby, it's a bit era focused, and generally consists of these songs and it's a fun context.

Shattered
Hang Fire
Summer Romance
Lies
Neighbours
She's So Cold
Everything Is Turning To Gold
Tie Me Up
Dance
Miss You
Emotional Rescue
Too Much Blood
Send It To Me
If I Was A Dancer
Pretty Beat Up
Some Girls
Crazy Mama
Where The Boys Go
All The Way Down
Hey Negrita
Little T&A
She Was Hot
I Think I'm Going Mad
Beast Of Burden
Feel On Baby
All About You

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 25, 2020 10:07

GasLightStreet
I've often been a bit mystified that Where The Boys Go and Summer Romance, the latter of the two the best and a fantastic snarling song, get so much shit. I like that they're "different" from anything before. They certainly would do some downright afwul tracks much later.

It seems that there's some standard that hasn't been accomplished - what standard would that be?

No riff, no melody, no groove, no rhythm. Just dumb polished punkrockpop.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 25, 2020 10:34

matxil
GasLightStreet

The lyrics "I need money so much, I need money so bad
And I can't be your mum, don't want to be your dad
I'm a serious man, I got serious lusts
Gonna have to do away with this greasy kid stuff" is worth the price of the record alone IMHO. The songs are fun and they're Lovely produced.

If compared (that someone here did) with SF ( a good comparison,as they both got 10 songs) I would probably stick with 6 from ER and keep Brown Sugar, Bitch, Sway and Moonlight Mile. The Stones in 1979-80 was in another place than in 1969, and we oughta be grateful for that, as they are improving and improving and improving.

Bring on a ER 40 anniversary Super Deluxe, talk about a wet dream with all the outtakes that are there!smileys with beer

Date: June 25, 2020 20:04

matxil
GasLightStreet

For 2 songs that have riffage and lickage, snarly melodies, they do have a groove, just not suitable to what you like, and a ton of rhythm... you must be lost! Confute! We talkin' 'bout the same 2 songs?

They're more tuneful and rocking than Respectable...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 25, 2020 20:17

GasLightStreet
I've made various playlists, called them Shattered or Snarl or Shadooby, it's a bit era focused, and generally consists of these songs and it's a fun context.

Shattered
Hang Fire
Summer Romance
Lies
Neighbours
She's So Cold
Everything Is Turning To Gold
Tie Me Up
Dance
Miss You
Emotional Rescue
Too Much Blood
Send It To Me
If I Was A Dancer
Pretty Beat Up
Some Girls
Crazy Mama
Where The Boys Go
All The Way Down
Hey Negrita
Little T&A
She Was Hot
I Think I'm Going Mad
Beast Of Burden
Feel On Baby
All About You
see this would be a dream set list come true for me including the Keith tracks

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home