Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: 40 Years of Emotional Rescue...TODAY!
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 21, 2020 19:16

SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
I guess they didn't like to tour that much every year. By that time they had already established the habit of touring alternate parts of the world with every other album so to speak.

1969 - US basically BEGGARS BANQUET with some LET IT BLEED

1970 - Europe LET IT BLEED
1971 - UK STICKY FINGERS
1972 - North America EXILE
1973 - Pacific (Oceania), Europe EXILE, GHS
1975 - North America MADE IN THE SHADE
1976 - Europe BLACK AND BLUE
1978 - US SOME GIRLS

1981 - US TATTOO YOU
1982 - Europe TATTOO YOU
1989 - North America STEEL WHEELS

1990 - Japan, Europe STEEL WHEELS
1994 - North America VOODOO
1995 - North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Oceania, Europe VOODOO
1997 - North America BRIDGES
1998 - North America, Asia, South America, Europe BRIDGES
1999 - North America BRIDGES, NO SECURITY

Between 1970 and 1979, 3 out of those 10 years they didn't tour.

Between 1990 and 1999, 4 out of those 10 years they didn't tour.

They probably needed a break! 1978-1981 was a good one.

Exactly. When other bands would do world tours with every album they had, mostly, The Stones toured then this part of the world behind a new album, then another part of the world only behind the next album, so effectively they only did half the touring that other bands did. Also, in the 70s their tours weren't that long.
In Tony Sanchez' book we can read that Ronnie was advised that joining The Stones would be a good idea if only because he wouldn't have to play many shows.
All this has changed considerably from the 90s on (i.e. long tours, but not every year), until the 50 and counting tours of course. But then, their recording efforts seem to be lacking somewhat...
To return to the issue: I read somewhere that Keith was p*ssed off that Mick didn't want to tour in 1980, calling it "not working but writing off a whole year..."

That's strange. They did videos, promo parties and worked on TATTOO YOU in 1980. Not exactly a "writing off".

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2020 19:25

The album? 5/10 for me. First of all I didn't like the art work. Sound quality is good though. I liked the title song. Innovative and fresh sounding at the time. A minor hit I think.
And "Dance", disco (and funk) was still big then. She's So Cold is a decent rocker. Nothing special though. The rest of them? Some of them were even silly, passé before they were released.
Rolling Stones going punk?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 21, 2020 19:30

-Looks as if The Stones have always been there, hot or not.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 21, 2020 19:37

In 1980 Keith had come off his Canadian problems and drug addictions (sorta) and was ready to go at it again and really wanted to tour. Mick was doubtful as to visa problems because of Keith's drug convictions and all. What didn't help was the fact that this time Ronnie had had a drug bust that was highly publicized at the time. Mick was giving off mixed signals to the press about touring in 1980, in one interview he said they were going to tour and in the next he denied it again. In the end Keith flew off to some holiday resort (I forget where) and after two days he got a telex from Mick stating that the tour was off. That really infuriated Keith, as Mick could have just said it in person two days earlier, but instead had chosen to wait until he had left.

The ER period is when Keith started to feel that Mick wasn't happy with Keith's return to power as it were, as Mick had grown accustomed to making decisions on his own and didn't seem to want to give up that position anymore.
This situation continues to this very day.

Date: June 21, 2020 19:43

GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
I guess they didn't like to tour that much every year. By that time they had already established the habit of touring alternate parts of the world with every other album so to speak.

1971 - UK STICKY FINGERS
1978 - US SOME GIRLS

1981 - US TATTOO YOU
1982 - Europe TATTOO YOU

Exactly. When other bands would do world tours with every album they had, mostly, The Stones toured then this part of the world behind a new album, then another part of the world only behind the next album, so effectively they only did half the touring that other bands did. Also, in the 70s their tours weren't that long.
In Tony Sanchez' book we can read that Ronnie was advised that joining The Stones would be a good idea if only because he wouldn't have to play many shows.
All this has changed considerably from the 90s on (i.e. long tours, but not every year), until the 50 and counting tours of course. But then, their recording efforts seem to be lacking somewhat...
To return to the issue: I read somewhere that Keith was p*ssed off that Mick didn't want to tour in 1980, calling it "not working but writing off a whole year..."

That's strange. They did videos, promo parties and worked on TATTOO YOU in 1980. Not exactly a "writing off".

A promo takes about a day to make. And a little known fact is, that 'they' didn't work on TY.
Besides, the issue was about touring or not touring, not throwing parties, at half of which Keith never showed up anyway.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 21, 2020 19:46

One of my favourite periods of the band, I just thought they were so cool and perhaps coinciding with my first purchases, the She's So Cold 45 followed quickly by the album.

It is a great album, I'd rate it a 4.0 out of 5. If the quality of the writing overall isn't as high as their best work, they compensate by fantastic performances of the songs.

She's So Cold could never be replicated to this high level in concert.

Date: June 21, 2020 19:54

SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
SomeGuy

1971 - UK STICKY FINGERS
1978 - US SOME GIRLS

1981 - US TATTOO YOU
1982 - Europe TATTOO YOU

A promo takes about a day to make. And a little known fact is, that 'they' didn't work on TY.
Besides, the issue was about touring or not touring, not throwing parties, at half of which Keith never showed up anyway.

"They" being Mick and Keith that worked on TATTOO YOU!

You might be being a bit dismissive of the promotional aspects: it may take one day to do a video but it was probably a matter of a few weeks to get it together etc. Those things don't "just happen". And with Keith being zonked out...

Date: June 21, 2020 20:04

GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
GasLightStreet
SomeGuy

1971 - UK STICKY FINGERS
1978 - US SOME GIRLS

1981 - US TATTOO YOU
1982 - Europe TATTOO YOU

"They" being Mick and Keith that worked on TATTOO YOU!

You might be being a bit dismissive of the promotional aspects: it may take one day to do a video but it was probably a matter of a few weeks to get it together etc. Those things don't "just happen". And with Keith being zonked out...

From what I read on this board TY was put together only by Mick and Chris Kimsey, from leftover recordings from earlier sessions. The "writing off" phrase is not mine, but it was what Keith said about not touring in 1980. If they had toured, they still would have had to make the videos, do the promotion for the album yada yada yada, anyway. Apparently not touring meant not working for Keith, and I can see his point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-21 20:05 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 21, 2020 22:15

SomeGuy
From what I read on this board TY was put together only by Mick and Chris Kimsey, from leftover recordings from earlier sessions. The "writing off" phrase is not mine, but it was what Keith said about not touring in 1980. If they had toured, they still would have had to make the videos, do the promotion for the album yada yada yada, anyway. Apparently not touring meant not working for Keith, and I can see his point.

There was mixing work done on ER in the spring as well as apparently doing 4 videos and what seems to be a lot of interviews with Mick with seemingly a majority of those done in June.

Mick and Keith worked with Kimsey on what to do with leftovers in September after all the various promotional work for ER was over with. In October and November-December work on the vocals started and Keith apparently did some work as well.

Keith said he hoped to get another Stones album out that year and tour. If I recall correctly that interview was steered by a fifth of whisky.

However Keith felt about it it appears they agreed not to tour. It's difficult to find any details stating that but just looking at what other things they did it seems obvious. By the time ER came out it was roughly a month shy of 2 years since the SG tour ended. All band recording for ER was done by October of 1979 with overdubs continuing into 1980.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 21, 2020 22:59

The 2 biggest highlights for me on Emotional Rescue are the 2 cuts that many here has listed as the weakest songs; Dance (part 1) and Where The Boys Go. She's So Cold and Down In The Hole follows them 2, and are among the finest recordings of the 1975-2020 era for me

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 21, 2020 23:21

I thought She's So Cold was an increasingly rare return to form for the band. Great sardonic lyrics and the band sounds like tigers being held back by a flimsy leash. Loved that song, and loved the 7" picture sleeve as well

jb

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: June 21, 2020 23:39

It seems that Ronnie played bass on the song 'Emotional Rescue', while Bill added a keyboard/synth part later.

"Jagger penned the basic foundation on a Wurlitzer, and drummer Charlie Watts and guitarist Ronnie Wood (subbing here on bass) quickly fell into a groove. Regular contributor Ian Stewart added another layer of electric piano, and Bobby Keys hopped in on sax. Guitarist Keith Richards and bassist Bill Wyman are barely audible on the recording—the former throwing in subtle electric flourishes toward the end, and the latter offering a sprinkle of synthesizer."

Read More: 40 Years Ago: The Stones Quickly Whip Up An 'Emotional Rescue' | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: June 21, 2020 23:58

GasLightStreet
SomeGuy

There was mixing work done on ER in the spring as well as apparently doing 4 videos and what seems to be a lot of interviews with Mick with seemingly a majority of those done in June.

Mick and Keith worked with Kimsey on what to do with leftovers in September after all the various promotional work for ER was over with. In October and November-December work on the vocals started and Keith apparently did some work as well.

Keith said he hoped to get another Stones album out that year and tour. If I recall correctly that interview was steered by a fifth of whisky.

However Keith felt about it it appears they agreed not to tour. It's difficult to find any details stating that but just looking at what other things they did it seems obvious. By the time ER came out it was roughly a month shy of 2 years since the SG tour ended. All band recording for ER was done by October of 1979 with overdubs continuing into 1980.

Being infuriated that Mick called the tour off is hardly agreeing, I'd say. Much of my above post about the troubles of 1980 I took from Victor Bockris' biography of Keith and a tiny bit from my own memory. This is not to say that during the course of 1980, when no tour was in the cards anymore, plans didn't get (re)focused on how to proceed.

Mixing and whathaveyounot to ready a new album and NOT touring is, obviously, less work than mixing and whathaveyounot to ready a new album and touring. Apparently, again, Keith felt that not touring in 1980 meant not working, new plans notwithstanding, as playing 40 shows or so probably meant work to him and fidgeting about what to do with some two already recorded tracks instead, didn't.

The 'new album' Keith hoped to have out in 1980 actually is, I believe, ER. Again, a quote from Bockris' book, presented in a slightly misleading timeline on the Time Is On Our Side website.

Also from the Time Is On Our Side website:

Mick Jagger & Keith Richards: Making Tattoo You

Mick: Tattoo You is actually an old record. It's all a lot of old tracks that I dug out. And it was very strange circumstances. Chris Kimsey and I went though all the tracks from those two previous records. It wasn't all outtakes; some of it was old songs. And then I went back and found previous ones like Waiting on a Friend, from Goats Head Soup. They're all from different periods.

Then I had to write lyrics and melodies. A lot of them didn't have anything, which is why they weren't used at the time - because they weren't complete. They were just bits, or they were from early takes. And then I put them all together in an incredibly cheap fashion. I recorded in this place in Paris in the middle of winter. And then I recorded some of it in a broom cupboard, literally, where we did the vocals. The rest of the band were hardly involved. And then I took it to Bob Clearmountain, who did this great job of mixing so that it doesn't sound like it's from different periods.

Keith: I thought Mick did a great job with Tattoo You. There were only one or two things I went back on with Bob Clearmountain. My main complaint in the beginning with the recording of this record was that they were hopping around using different studios and it started to seem a bit chaotic. In actual fact, Mick pulled it all together. He did a great job in organizing it. It was up to Mick because it was Mick's contributions that weren't recorded. What was missing ws Mick's normal contribution to a Rolling Stones track - the vocals.

Edit: What if it's all bollocks! smiling smiley

Having started with Come On a couple of days ago, I'm at Brussel's Affair now, hoping to play Emotional Rescue before the sun gets up! Cheers.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-22 00:40 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 22, 2020 00:00

ER with more Keith guitar.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 22, 2020 13:47

I think it's a great album with numerous favorites of mine besides the title track which is so tongue and cheek and how can you not like it ? To She's So cold , Summer Romance , the blues masterpiece of Down In the Hole . Keith's Gem All about You , Send It to me. The very funny Where the Boys Go . Great album !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 22, 2020 16:05

SomeGuy
In 1980 Keith had come off his Canadian problems and drug addictions (sorta) and was ready to go at it again and really wanted to tour. Mick was doubtful as to visa problems because of Keith's drug convictions and all. What didn't help was the fact that this time Ronnie had had a drug bust that was highly publicized at the time. Mick was giving off mixed signals to the press about touring in 1980, in one interview he said they were going to tour and in the next he denied it again. In the end Keith flew off to some holiday resort (I forget where) and after two days he got a telex from Mick stating that the tour was off. That really infuriated Keith, as Mick could have just said it in person two days earlier, but instead had chosen to wait until he had left.

The ER period is when Keith started to feel that Mick wasn't happy with Keith's return to power as it were, as Mick had grown accustomed to making decisions on his own and didn't seem to want to give up that position anymore.
This situation continues to this very day.

I wonder how much Paul’s Japan arrest in Jan 1980 factored into the concerns.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: June 22, 2020 16:16

Imagine the seventies...a new, good, Rolling Stones album almost every year... Seems like a fairytale talking about it now...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 22, 2020 17:11

Stoneage
Imagine the seventies...a new, good, Rolling Stones album almost every year... Seems like a fairytale talking about it now...

Don't complain, be positive. Now you can buy Ron Wood's "art" of setlist and paintings of himself and his band for only 1000 pounds a copy. You couldn't, back then. It was the dark ages. Only boring things like music.

Date: June 22, 2020 17:21

Erik_Snow
Stoneage

Don't complain, be positive. Now you can buy Ron Wood's "art" of setlist and paintings of himself and his band for only 1000 pounds a copy. You couldn't, back then. It was the dark ages. Only boring things like music.

And how varied those setlists are, unlike the... err.. setlists themselves smiling smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 22, 2020 17:23

All About You is amazing -- the feel, the lyrics, the vocals, the background vocals, the production. Keith has written some of the most beautiful jazzy-type ballads and done so completely under the radar. It's like the music establishment has him pegged as the riff-meister and can't hear anything else.
I don't think Mick knew what to do with this song, the same way Keith didn't know what to do with Emotional Rescue. Maybe musical differences really were the reasons for WW3.

Date: June 22, 2020 18:05

wonderboy
All About You is amazing -- the feel, the lyrics, the vocals, the background vocals, the production. Keith has written some of the most beautiful jazzy-type ballads and done so completely under the radar. It's like the music establishment has him pegged as the riff-meister and can't hear anything else.
I don't think Mick knew what to do with this song, the same way Keith didn't know what to do with Emotional Rescue. Maybe musical differences really were the reasons for WW3.

I think the guitar version of ER (posted above) is great smiling smiley

Date: June 22, 2020 18:20

DandelionPowderman

[youtu.be]

That is a fantastic audio view into the work that went into that track: Keith did more harmonies than we hear on the LP version; there's more percussion; the entire song has guitar on it; the vocal is slightly different in places, which is one of two things: they were using 24 track and did A LOT of lead vocal tracks (comping) or Mick kept working on the vocals as the working mixes progressed with the overdubbing.

It's similar to the single edit...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-22 18:50 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 22, 2020 19:46

Any version of ER (the tune) is a bad version imo, including the live versions they did a few tours back. The bass line is annoying and childish. Another main problem with the tune is Mick really can't sing falsetto when compared to the greats - nearly every song he tries it ends up lame. Worried About You might be the exception where it works...and maybe the spoken word/sung part of Dear Doctor as that's sort of a mockery anyways...
But tunes like ER and Fool To Cry are completely forced and unnatural sounding compared to the greats - Eddie Kendricks, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Junior Murvin, et al....even the BeeGees and KC (of the Sunshine Band) are better imo.

Date: June 22, 2020 20:16

I don't think Emotional Rescue worked very well live either. It was too drawn out like Miss You is compared to the earlier tours (78 & 81).

There were so many other choices of songs they could have used instead..........Love is Strong, Worried About You, Memory Motel I could go on and on but I still think this song was a poor choice for them to play.

Although it was nice to get a song we have never heard live before and it is doubtful we will get another one.

Hairball
Any version of ER (the tune) is a bad version imo, including the live versions they did a few tours back. The bass line is annoying and childish. Another main problem with the tune is Mick really can't sing falsetto when compared to the greats - nearly every song he tries it ends up lame. Worried About You might be the exception where it works...and maybe the spoken word/sung part of Dear Doctor as that's sort of a mockery anyways...
But tunes like ER and Fool To Cry are completely forced and unnatural sounding compared to the greats - Eddie Kendricks, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Junior Murvin, et al....even the BeeGees and KC (of the Sunshine Band) are better imo.

Date: June 22, 2020 20:48

It's all about context. ER was suitable for the times. Like Miss You and Dance. It was a good radio hit then. Of course ER is, more or less, impossible live.
And there is no need for it since they always play Miss You. At the time (1980) ER was fresh and innovative. Stones searching for new patterns. Leaving the safe track.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 22, 2020 20:58

ER is very possible Live - No offense, ER, Summer Romance , Dance, All about You, Let me Go, Send it to me, are all great Concert type songs.... This is a great Album... A Hidden Treasure among the giant Stones albums-

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 22, 2020 21:24

Well, it was the obvious choice for the single because it was the only choice for a hit single.

It was hardly ' Stones searching for new patterns'. It was Mick having what he thought was a good idea and messing about in the studio with it with Ron and Charlie. It's the sort of thing he'd put on a solo album. It gave the album a good title! I bet they had something better than this at the time. Mick must of been proud of it. And Keith?!!!

It was also two years after Dance/Disco so it was hardly in vogue. Just a second rate approach to previously well treated theme.

It was fun to hear on the radio - mainly the guitar and sax fadeout!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-22 23:53 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: June 22, 2020 21:41

georgemcdonnell314
I don't think Emotional Rescue worked very well live either. It was too drawn out like Miss You is compared to the earlier tours (78 & 81).

There were so many other choices of songs they could have used instead..........Love is Strong, Worried About You, Memory Motel I could go on and on but I still think this song was a poor choice for them to play.

Although it was nice to get a song we have never heard live before and it is doubtful we will get another one.

Hairball

I thought ER worked nicely, but it was far from perfect. Surprisingly, the weak link was Mick. He was too loose, and should have bothered to learn the cues on the studio version, imo.

BTW, on the 14 On Fire-tour they played both ER and Worried About You on the opening show in Oslo smiling smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 22, 2020 22:25

wonderboy

I have raved for several years about the brilliance of the backing vocals on AAY. They are so soulful and creative, weird echoing repetition, I love them.

Put on the headphones, switch of the lights and focus on those backing vocals, the (different) Genius of Keith Richards

Date: June 22, 2020 22:34

DandelionPowderman

[youtu.be]

Sounds adequate. This isn't genuinely Keith, right?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home