Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
40 Years of Emotional Rescue...TODAY!
Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: June 20, 2020 17:19

Guys while waiting for Goatsheadsoup special editions ...the RS web site has side swiped us with this...........including she's so cold art work

EMOTIONAL RESCUE LP - HALF SPEED MASTER
869141_image1

Released on June 20th in 1980, Emotional Rescue is The Rolling Stones 15th British and 17th American studio album. It features the worldwide hit singles “She’s So Cold” and the title track, “Emotional Rescue”.

It was originally recorded throughout 1979, first in Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas, then Pathé Marconi, Paris, and was overdubbed in New York City at The Hit Factory. Most recently it has been remastered & cut at revelatory Half-Speed at Abbey Road Studios from vinyl specific original tape transfers designed to get the very best possible sound from the format.

wow out of the blue for me, guess its on this site somewhere?, Ok Songs but fantastic Guitars sound- like 6 or 7 on each track

Re: 40 Years of Emotional Rescue...TODAY!
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 20, 2020 18:25

The German Edition of the 'Rolling Stone' has a Cover-Story about 40 Years of Emotional Rescue:

Rolling Stone - June 2020

It's a 8-pages Special with a Track-by-Track Review, some large Pictures and an Essay about Stones vs. Disco-Music.

Date: June 20, 2020 19:17

I think this caught us all off guard waiting for Goats Head Soup release.

I wonder if we get any of the extended versions that are circulating.

It looks like it comes with the original poster as well.

Me.............I am in on this one. I think this is a very underrated album.

I just got the email about it a few minutes ago as well.

And I agree there is some great guitar work on this album.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 20, 2020 20:00

Never understood why they didn't your to support it '80-81.

And SG had only had an American leg, and a rather.

Europe got nothing from '76-82.

We're the Twins already fractious in 1980?

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 20, 2020 20:06

I guess they didn't like to tour that much every year. By that time they had already established the habit of touring alternate parts of the world with every other album so to speak.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: June 20, 2020 20:43

Love the album, always have. Robert Cristgau's review: "looser than you'll ever be".

The two singles and their videos are wonderful. Dance Part I is still a thrilling rave up. All About You, Down in the Hole; equally wonderful.

The cool swagger of Let Me Go; the guitars, the phrasing, just to hear the band play.

Even Send it To Me - the playing, the groove.

I love its seeming lighthearted yin to Some Girls yamg - loose, swaggering, grooving.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 20, 2020 20:44

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 20, 2020 20:56

SomeGuy
I guess they didn't like to tour that much every year. By that time they had already established the habit of touring alternate parts of the world with every other album so to speak.

1969 - US

1970 - Europe
1971 - UK
1972 - North America
1973 - Pacific (Oceania), Europe
1975 - North America
1976 - Europe
1978 - US

1981 - US
1982 - Europe
1989 - North America

1990 - Japan, Europe
1994 - North America
1995 - North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Oceania, Europe
1997 - North America
1998 - North America, Asia, South America, Europe
1999 - North America

Between 1970 and 1979, 3 out of those 10 years they didn't tour.

Between 1990 and 1999, 4 out of those 10 years they didn't tour.

They probably needed a break! 1978-1981 was a good one.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 20, 2020 20:59

Wow....40 years ago...I was 16 and still hadn't even seen the Stones yet, but that would happen in just over a year in Oct. '81 - twice.

As for this album, never have been a fan of the opening title track single from the moment I heard it when first released, and that sort of tainted the whole album.
The album as a whole was clearly a step down from the previous Some Girls, but there were some decent tunes on it, and in hindsight is one of the last decent Stones albums.

Favorite tracks:
Dance (Pt. 1)
Summer Romance
Let Me Go
Down in the Hole

Worst tracks:
Emotional Rescue
Indian Girl
Send it to Me

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: June 20, 2020 21:08

Four Stone Walls

100% they were fractious in 1980. The two had a falling out about the mixes for the album. Keith's song "All About You" was secretly written about Mick and, according to Chris Kimsey in 1980, TATTOO YOU came about because Mick and Keith were going through a period of not getting on very well.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 20, 2020 21:09

Four Stone Walls

I don’t know why they didn’t tour on this one. Maybe they didn’t want to compete with the Zeppelin’s US Tour in the fall of 1980...and then John Lennon was killed. I know that put the breaks on any chance of a Spring tour. I wonder if we’ll ever know.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 20, 2020 22:01

GasLightStreet
SomeGuy

1969 - US

1970 - Europe
1971 - UK
1972 - North America
1973 - Pacific (Oceania), Europe
1975 - North America
1976 - Europe
1978 - US

1981 - US
1982 - Europe
1989 - North America

1990 - Japan, Europe
1994 - North America
1995 - North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Oceania, Europe
1997 - North America
1998 - North America, Asia, South America, Europe
1999 - North America

Between 1970 and 1979, 3 out of those 10 years they didn't tour.

Between 1990 and 1999, 4 out of those 10 years they didn't tour.

They probably needed a break! 1978-1981 was a good one.

Exactly. When other bands would do world tours with every album they had, mostly, The Stones toured then this part of the world behind a new album, then another part of the world only behind the next album, so effectively they only did half the touring that other bands did. Also, in the 70s their tours weren't that long.
In Tony Sanchez' book we can read that Ronnie was advised that joining The Stones would be a good idea if only because he wouldn't have to play many shows.
All this has changed considerably from the 90s on (i.e. long tours, but not every year), until the 50 and counting tours of course. But then, their recording efforts seem to be lacking somewhat...
To return to the issue: I read somewhere that Keith was p*ssed off that Mick didn't want to tour in 1980, calling it "not working but writing off a whole year..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-20 22:04 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 20, 2020 22:11

A great eclectic album thumbs up

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 20, 2020 22:12

Ugh Sorry. No thanks.

Date: June 20, 2020 22:31

JordyLicks96
Four Stone Walls

100% they were fractious in 1980. The two had a falling out about the mixes for the album. Keith's song "All About You" was secretly written about Mick and, according to Chris Kimsey in 1980, TATTOO YOU came about because Mick and Keith were going through a period of not getting on very well.

Thank you. I thought this might be the case, or why not tour?

I see that also Someguy says that Keith was pissed off with Mick for not touring in 1980.
The start of the rift, perhaps.

(It was even unusual in '79 not to follow States with Europe)

So Keith and Ron did and were well bonded. This alliance seems to have fed through into '81 and '82, their playing as a partnership in a way separate to Mick ('three's a crowd').

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-20 22:33 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 20, 2020 22:39

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2020 02:08

Four Stone Walls
JordyLicks96
Four Stone Walls

Thank you. I thought this might be the case, or why not tour?

I see that also Someguy says that Keith was pissed off with Mick for not touring in 1980.
The start of the rift, perhaps.

(It was even unusual in '79 not to follow States with Europe)

So Keith and Ron did and were well bonded. This alliance seems to have fed through into '81 and '82, their playing as a partnership in a way separate to Mick ('three's a crowd').
That's true, FSW. Come to think of it, no European tour between 1976 and 1982. That was an eternity then. I guess many thought 1976 was the last European tour.
And I guess there were plans for a Europe tour (and other parts of the world) in 1979. Following the usual pattern. But something happened?
And the no show in 1980 followed by an album of leftovers put together by Chris Kimsey and Jagger. Seems to me the falling apart had already started then..

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 21, 2020 06:08

I always love dredging this up: the B-side to the "If I Was A Dancer" promotional 12", still commercially unreleased:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 21, 2020 06:33

Koen
[twitter.com]

Not crazy about the tee or other items really (if I thought I could get by wearing a "I'm So Hot" lyric.. then maybe winking smiley )
Like the blanket though.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 21, 2020 06:35

Glam Descendant
I always love dredging this up: the B-side to the "If I Was A Dancer" promotional 12", still commercially unreleased:

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

I have the 12" vinyl promo copy I bought at my then local record store called 'Off the Record' in Santa Monica. They sold loads of bootlegs, and loads of fresh reggae albums imported directly from Jamaica.
Also met the band X there at an autograph signing in '81, and saw them play the Santa Monica Civic later that night. Lots of good memories for such a small record store - they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 21, 2020 11:54

HMN

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 21, 2020 12:15

I've got mixed emotions remembering this album: perfect Stones (Summer Romance, Let Me Go, Where The Boys Go), good ones (Down in the Hole, She's So Cold, All About You), but incredibly lousy mistakes (Dance Pt. 1, Emotional Rescue, Send It to Me, the Reggae-Stones never worked) and the Mariachi-kitschy ballad Indian Girl at rock bottom. The last one is the most awkward effort in Stones history IMO.

Date: June 21, 2020 12:28

JordyLicks96
Four Stone Walls

Well, bootlegs later showed that Mick was involved early on with shaping All About You (The Train Song). However, the lyrics most likely were all Keith's.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 21, 2020 12:57

ER is a massively underrated album. Kimsey's production is IMHO the best outta all Stones records and far superior than SG's rather "trebly" sound.

For me it has 10 ten outta ten songs, even Where The Boys Go is a cracker, though I used to think it was a bit of a filler.

I am very pleased that they choose to celebrate the 40th anniversary, for me Emotional Rescue is the third best album after Exile and Beggars. You can tell they were super hot recording it. The mix of songs is just pure perfection too.

Cheers Honestman! Lovely article + it gave me a chance of brushing up my
german smileys with beer The White thermal long sleeve in the RS shop is pretty cool.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 21, 2020 13:47

Not their best album but certainly not their worst either. It's one of those albums where most of the rockers are the weakest links. Still, it's an enjoyable album which I can listen to without having to skip any song.

"Dance" – Not so good, but bearable. 6/10
"Summer Romance" – Stupid filler. 5/10
"Send It to Me" – Fun but not their best reggae attempt. 6.5/10
"Let Me Go" – Weak. 6/10
"Indian Girl" – Good fun, it sorta works 7.5/10
"Where the Boys Go" – Stupid filler 5/10
"Down in the Hole" – Very good, 9/10
"Emotional Rescue" – Very good, 9/10
"She's So Cold" – Very good 9/10
"All About You" – Very good 9/10

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 21, 2020 14:06

still great.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 21, 2020 15:11

matxil
"Where the Boys Go" – Stupid filler 5/10

Disagreed, if your forgot the lyrics, it's a great rocker with nice background vocals gals.

HMN

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 21, 2020 15:48

I always liked the album, though it didn't top Some Girls. It has aged very well, I think. To me the highlights are Dance (a band of friends grooving (fiction among the glimmers at this point, I know)), Send it to me (their best take on reggae I think and some nice vocals from Mick) and the titeltrack, which I was grumpy about at first hearing, but loved at second and ever since.

Date: June 21, 2020 15:48

I'm with matxil here, but I'd give the title track as fun filled, 5-6, and Send It to Me as essential fun! 8-9. Let me Go 7/10. Nice country lilt. Interesting.

I think Wtbg and SR are just second rate cast-off's from SG.

I always thought they could have combined the best (then current) elements of ER and TY, to have a very strong follow-up to SG. Or a double album of high quality if you included the early/mid seventies stuff from TY.

But it is what it is. I never complained at the time - nor now - except for no tour!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 21, 2020 17:44

They didn't tour in 1980 because Keith was in shambles, spending time in Canada and upstate New York kicking heroin and basically serving his Canadian drug bust sentence. They didn't tour Europe in 1979 as a small scale tour like the 1978 US tour doesn't pay off in Europe, with all border regulations. They would have lost money on it, and that's a no-go for the Stones.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home