Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: God do I miss Tom Petty
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 20, 2020 16:18

One of the greatest rock and rollers. And he got BETTER as he got older!!!

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-20 16:23 by drewmaster.

Re: OT: God do I miss Tom Petty
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 20, 2020 16:30

[m.youtube.com]

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 20, 2020 17:33

It was such a shocker when he passed. I had just seen him a few weeks before. That show (Seattle) was filmed but will probably never see the light of day as there were some major technical issues during the show, such as not so great sound at the start & the entire PA cutting out for an entire song causing people to boo. I went way back with him, the first show I saw was early on the "Damn the Torpedoes" tour in a theater. Got to meet him once & have a nice picture of me with him along with a signed poster for "Full Moon Fever". Was supposed to see Mike Campbell I think today opening for Chris Stapleton. Saw Mike with Fleetwood Mac & he was in fine form.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 20, 2020 17:46

My girlfriend and I were just watching The Morning Show and they did an episode about the Vegas shootings and she asked how I knew exactly when that was and I said because Tom Petty died later that day as well. That was a horrible day waking up for work at 2am and hearing the Vegas stuff, covering it all day, then coming home to hear Tom Petty was in the hospital and died. I miss him so much.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 20, 2020 19:20

Last time I saw him was at New Orleans Jazzfest 2017. The band sounded great, but poor Tom looked rough. He probably should have been taking care of his health issues instead of completing his final tour. A road warrior to the end.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 20, 2020 19:54

Totally.

Was looking forward to his planned "Wildflowers" tour. And had just seen him in July in Canadaigua, NY.

I get sad everytime I listen to "Buried Treasure", but still listen to the old broadcasts because they are all so great.

I was hopeful he'd be DJing for us into his 80s.

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: June 21, 2020 16:07

One of the fondest memories of seeing Tom and the Hertbreakers for me was in 1995. They kicked off their tour in Louisville (Louisville Gardens). An unbelievable concert, opened with Love is a Long Road, closed with American Girl/Wake up Time. And I've never seen him play a better live version of You Wreck Me than that evening. Really miss him too. One of the greats!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 21, 2020 16:37

[www.youtube.com]

Only saw him once, and it was here (above) ... Hyde Park/London summer 2017. Wonderful ! At least I saw him, I was truly fearing that I never ever would.

Agree, sadly missed.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 21, 2020 19:31

I used to see him here in Florida with Mudcrutch in bars smaller than your living room, shared a joint with him more than once, he was a great guy even then! I watched a video of him and the Heartbreakers at LOCKIN' in 2014, they were on fire at that show!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 21, 2020 23:19

I always regretted that I never caught them, especially in the early days when I recall they played at this little place on the UC Davis campus and I hear they really tore it up.

But what I did do was record all the King Biscuit Flower Hour shows and other similar concert broadcasts by him and his band. And there were some corkers there for sure. Unfortunately I still have all my reel to reel tapes but do not have a functioning playback machine, have three different decks but all have problems. I recall one particular broadcast that was very early, and contained the song The Jaguar and the Thunderbird (or vice versa) that I totally dug. He and his band appeared at least a half dozen times that I caught and they shows they broadcast were always first rate and pretty good audio quality as well.

I am terribly deficient in his records too, but I do have a few Japanese 7" and I think a bootleg release or two. Probably should start catching up.

I was really shocked to hear he had passed away, seemed pretty young to this old guy, I guess the lifestyle got to him or at least exacerbated existing conditions. He always seemed like a pretty down home guy, one I could probably smoke with and have a good conversation on both sides.

jb

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: June 22, 2020 22:07

things have gone south since Tom Petty died

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 22, 2020 22:13

He was good.

Shame.

that Fentanyl is bad news....

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: June 23, 2020 09:11

I had the privilege of seeing Tom and the Heartbreakers at both Royal Albert Hall gigs in 2012 - fantastic memories.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 23, 2020 10:50

Paulhanrahan
I had the privilege of seeing Tom and the Heartbreakers at both Royal Albert Hall gigs in 2012 - fantastic memories.

I was out of the country when those tickets went on sale, and even resorting to every trick in the book (with the notable exception of dealing with scalping c**ts) ... could I get a ticket ? Nope ! The demand for those RAH show was unprecedented ! Finally made up for it when I saw him in Hyde Park 5 years later ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 23, 2020 15:18

One of my favourite rock'n'roll artistes. An immense talent and yes, he got better as he got older. I think Wildflowers was his absolute masterpiece. What an incredible feeling that album invokes.

I saw him first in 1977 as support to Nils Lofgren at Hammersmith Odeon - all 3 nights. Then at Knebworth in 78, Wembley Arena in 81 and finally at Hyde Park in 2017.

Loving Mike Campbell's lockdown videos and looking forward to him touring the UK next year.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: June 23, 2020 16:20

There are rumours circulating that a Wildflowers deluxe edition will (finally!) be announced later this week.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 23, 2020 17:09

So do I. I always think of him, because when he died I went into Whittards Coffee / Tea shop and bought 2 Mad Hatter cups for my brews.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: June 23, 2020 19:34

Yes Tom very much missed.
I was lucky to see him a few times and he was always brilliant

1987 - NEC Birmingham with Roger McGuinn & Bob Dylan
1992 - SECC Glasgow
2010 - St Pete Times Forum Tampa
2012 - RAH London
2017 - Hyde Park London

Date: June 24, 2020 05:25

paulywaul
Paulhanrahan

I was out of the country when those tickets went on sale, and even resorting to every trick in the book (with the notable exception of dealing with scalping c**ts) ... could I get a ticket ? Nope ! The demand for those RAH show was unprecedented ! Finally made up for it when I saw him in Hyde Park 5 years later ...

I figured tickets would be crazy hard to get so I bought a package, tickets, accommodation, London Litho etc. It was worth every cent.

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: June 24, 2020 15:35

bonddm
There are rumours circulating that a Wildflowers deluxe edition will (finally!) be announced later this week.

An announcement on Sirius/XM, Petty station on Thurs, 6/25. Think this might be what they're announcing?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 24, 2020 21:04

I have deleted half a dozen political posts already in this thread. Please respect the posting policy, next one and this thread will be closed.

Bjornulf

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 24, 2020 21:54

I saw him twice on the last tour. First was at Bottlerock Festival and he was excellent. Second was at the Greek Theater the day before he postponed. It was not a great show, he was definitely ill. They rescheduled the next night for a week later. Two weeks later he was dead.

Date: June 25, 2020 07:59

Date: June 25, 2020 08:15

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 25, 2020 09:28

Mr.D
I used to see him here in Florida with Mudcrutch in bars smaller than your living room, shared a joint with him more than once, he was a great guy even then! I watched a video of him and the Heartbreakers at LOCKIN' in 2014, they were on fire at that show!

Those are some very cool.memories Mr. D. Thanks for sharing!

I watched that Lockn' concert as well and they were on fire, indeed.

Date: June 26, 2020 07:19

[view.e.warnerrecords.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-26 07:41 by bonddm.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 27, 2020 23:40

drewmaster
One of the greatest rock and rollers. And he got BETTER as he got older!!!

Drew

Got better like fine wine. I thought I was alone by missing him.

[www.youtube.com]

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Live New Years Eve concert 1978 Santa Monica,CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-28 08:16 by shattered.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: June 28, 2020 01:11

video: [www.youtube.com] Miss Tom a bunch. Seen him with Dylan in 1986 at MSG & other times too. Great video after this one too!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 28, 2020 02:21

Whats the verdict on that Live Anthology? 4 cds in its normal state, i guess up to 6 cds and 3 dvds in the expanded form. Normal can be had dirt cheap but the deluxe editions start costing coin. I am particularly interested in the "official bootleg" disk in one of the deluxe gigs, only 4 or 5 songs but i believe it is the one i taped off the radio all those years ago.

jb

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 2, 2020 18:52

jbwelda
Whats the verdict on that Live Anthology? 4 cds in its normal state, i guess up to 6 cds and 3 dvds in the expanded form. Normal can be had dirt cheap but the deluxe editions start costing coin. I am particularly interested in the "official bootleg" disk in one of the deluxe gigs, only 4 or 5 songs but i believe it is the one i taped off the radio all those years ago.

jb

I don't have the deluxe version, but I have the regular Live Anthology and I think its fantastic. I listen to it regularly and a great mix of classics and obscure songs, and all different eras. There were discs I didn't know much from and ended up loving them all. I highly recommend that, and have wanted the bonuses but again don't know most of the songs so I just haven't found them "essential" but I assume its also very good. Especially I think what bonus disc which is like a peak show from the 70s.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home