Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rest In Peace, Vera Lynn
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 18, 2020 19:31

Re: OT: Rest In Peace, Vera Lynn
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 18, 2020 21:27

video: [m.youtube.com]

RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-18 21:28 by Paddy.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 18, 2020 22:02

Dame Vera Lynn was a well deserved icon to everyone who was around in the war years before most of us on IORR were even born.
To most of us in the UK of all ages, she was such a popular person right up to the day she passed away.

Watching a tribute to her on BBC now and very moving to see what she achieved in her life.
R.I.P. the wonderful Dame Vera.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 18, 2020 23:04

Whenever me and Riffin Boy were hangin'
loose together we'd always sing........ Well Meet Again

Like a bond between us ..... great times..... from the heart memories

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 19, 2020 01:33

Obviously, above all, one of the most moving songs of all time, especially given the mighty experience of one generation before us that this song and her singing of it touches so deeply:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: June 19, 2020 06:37

Vera - Pink Floyd (The Wall)

"Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?"

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 19, 2020 07:54

A life in pictures.. [www.theguardian.com]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 19, 2020 08:48

Witness
Obviously, above all, one of the most moving songs of all time, especially given the mighty experience of one generation before us that this song and her singing of it touches so deeply:

[www.youtube.com]

Couldn't have said it better. A true icon, beloved by so many for so many years. It's hard to overemphasize what We'll Meet Again meant to people during wartime, and There'll Be Bluebirds Over the White Cliffs of Dover. Thank you, Dame Vera. smiling smiley

Posted by: BluesManc ()
Date: June 19, 2020 10:00

Blimey, that's how you do it. Dame Vera Lynn was 103 years old and she was the darling of the nation ever since the last war. What an incredible lady and one of the most visceral songs of all time. Imagine how many lovers listened to that song during the war. Utterly amazing. Bless her cotton socks.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 19, 2020 12:43

Part of being a British child of the 60s was the desire to escape from the cloying sentimentality of so much wartime music, which twenty years after the war was still very much in evidence, and inevitably wheeled out again for every commemoration (as it still is). As you grow older, you realise how much that sweet music was needed in dreadful times, and come to recognise that real talent can exist in genres that don't particularly appeal to you. Vera Lynn was an artist very much defined (and perhaps trapped) by her wartime career, but she gave us some wonderful songs and the memory of a brave lady.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: June 19, 2020 22:53

Sad news. RIP

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 20, 2020 13:52

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 20, 2020 15:18

My dad's favorite female singer. He saw her a couple of times perform live at meetings for former RAF pilots in England and was always very enthusiastic and happy about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-20 15:20 by GJV.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 20, 2020 19:16

I was always struck by her dazzling set of teeth.

Like Edith Piaf, a singer from a bygone era. She lived a long and accomplished life. R.I.P.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 23, 2020 00:26

crawdaddy
Dame Vera Lynn was a well deserved icon to everyone who was around in the war years before most of us on IORR were even born.
To most of us in the UK of all ages, she was such a popular person right up to the day she passed away.

Watching a tribute to her on BBC now and very moving to see what she achieved in her life.
R.I.P. the wonderful Dame Vera.

crawdaddy thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 24, 2020 06:10

I always think of her at the end of Dr. Strangelove.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home