Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T.: Bands' bands.
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 18, 2020 18:18

In the Bobby Keys' documentary, the Delaney&Bonnie group is referred to as a "band's band" by Keith and others. I was very surprised that Richards would give that much credit to one of his contemporary bands; I am glad he did.Then the notion of bands be LOVED by other bands intrigued me a little. I know The Band had also that status at one point.
Any other bands or musicians in that category?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-18 19:33 by rollmops.

Re: O.T.: Band's' bands.
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 18, 2020 18:38

I think that may have been a bit of a cutting comment, not knowing the exact context in which the statement was made. A "band's band" kind of means to me a band that only other musicians would love. But probably not actual "fans" so much. A technically talented band that couldn't sell records. A band that only other technicians would love, and they would love them dearly...but not necessarily audiences who would pay to see them.

That's how D & B struck me: never really saw the attraction despite having stellar backup. The vocals and songs never did much for me. Perhaps that was what he was alluding to.

jb

Date: June 18, 2020 18:56

Yes Jbwelda; it seems that the band must not have had commercial success and be known mostly by the people of the same corporation(music). I know in the food industry there is a similar phenomenon with little restaurants not well-known yet with lots of chefs as their regulars.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 18, 2020 19:00

rollmops
In the Bobby Keys' documentary, the Delaney&Bonnie group is referred to as a "band's band" by Keith and others. I was very surprised that Richards would give that much credit to one of his contemporary bands; I am glad he did.Then the notion of bands be LOVED by other bands intrigued me a little. I know The Band had also that status at one point.
Rockandroll,
Mops

NRBQ

[www.youtube.com]

This clip actually contains the phrase, "Band's band"

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-18 19:08 by loog droog.

Re: O.T.: Bands' bands.
Date: June 18, 2020 19:41

If the Stones ever got close to that status it must have been during their "serious" period from 68 to 72.Although their commercial success must have kept them away from that aura; Faustian deal right there.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 18, 2020 22:44

Band's Bands are Bands that are no Hits machines, ones they have hit records it's not a Band's Band anymore ;o)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 18, 2020 22:52

Little Feat is an other B'sB

Date: June 18, 2020 23:16

>Little Feat

Well if that is true then that is one band's band that I always liked. Keith turned me on to them one time, I read him say he was currently listening to their Feats Don't Fail Me Now and I went down and bought it and was hooked. One band whose live bootlegs far surpassed anything they released officially aside from maybe the LP Feats Don't...

jb

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 18, 2020 23:23

The Meters.

Booker T and the MG's

Date: June 18, 2020 23:35

Dirty strangers

Date: June 19, 2020 00:28

totally not Booker T and the MGs...they had a bunch of hits worldwide and lots of movie uses of their music.

A lot of it comes down to not having a vocalist, or not having a dynamic vocalist. Kind of like Santana most of their output.

jb

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 19, 2020 01:02

I think Booker T and the MG's might make the grade.
I always thought of them as Stax's House Band, they got
a lot of praise from other musicians for that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2020 01:18

The Funk Brothers..... Motown house band ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 19, 2020 02:47

I don’t know if they qualify as a band’s band, but I know musicians revere their production and compositions.

Steely Dan

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 19, 2020 05:31

loog droog
rollmops
Rockandroll,
Mops

NRBQ

[www.youtube.com]

This clip actually contains the phrase, "Band's band"

[www.youtube.com]

Bingo.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 19, 2020 06:21

I have to agree with Loog Droog’s opinion regarding Booker T and the MG’s. Their hits aside, they were an incredibly talented group, with a resume that not only included their Stax “house band” rep, but as Otis Redding’s traveling band as well. As the years went on, they individually popped up all over the musical landscape. A small glimpse of their respect from other bands is from the video of their live show in Oakland, in 1970. They opened for Creedence. As they began to play Time is Tight, the members of Creedence can all be seen watching them from behind the scenes, soaking up the music.

Date: June 19, 2020 06:37

I saw them back up Neil Young at this disco place in Oakland, the Omni.

And with Otis Redding back in the day. Have always been one of my favorites.

jb

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 19, 2020 07:04

jbwelda
I saw them back up Neil Young at this disco place in Oakland, the Omni.

And with Otis Redding back in the day. Have always been one of my favorites.

jb

Lucky guy! I saw them play in ‘69 but would love to have seen them with Otis. “Otis Redding Live in Europe” is one of the best, most exciting and energetic live albums of all time.

Posted by: BluesManc ()
Date: June 19, 2020 10:11

According to Keith,The Neville Brothers.

Date: June 19, 2020 10:33

The Jayhawks is definitely a «band's band». Still going strong. New album out soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home